Spotted - Cover

Spotted

Copyright© 2020 by Olga Chinka

Chapter 2

The church parking lot was packed with cars. The Christmas play was the biggest event our church put on and everyone was involved in some way.

We found a parking space and I immediately unbuckled my seatbelt, swung the door open and sprang from my seat.

“Meet us here after practice!” I heard my sister shout as I ran towards the building. I was glad the car ride was over with and wanted to find my best friend.

I spotted her on the stage. “Where were you? You’re late!” exclaimed my best friend Taylor.

“We’re always late” I replied as I took my place next to her on the stage.

“Did you come with your sister?”

“Yes. Her and her lame boyfriend. I hate that guy.”

Taylor looks me in the eyes, “there is something really shady about him. He creeps me out.”

“Who Steve?” I ask laughing, “he’s harmless. Just another loser who leeches off my sister.”

“Still. Keep an eye out for him.”

I was confused. Why would Taylor be so suspicious of Steve? He puts on the tough guy act but he’s harmless. Jane would know better than to hang around him if he was trouble, right?

“Okay everyone let’s take it from the top!” Our music director Mr. Whitmore shouts as the music starts to play. The whole cast is on the stage, lined up in rows. We were practicing the carols that would be sung throughout the play. You cannot have a Christmas play without Christmas carols.

Practice goes on for hours. We sing the carols over and over. We practice our lines at least five times. Before we can go home, my sister volunteers us to help finish setting up the set. There are props in various stages of completion. I decide to help paint the barn with Taylor.

As I am painting, out of the corner of my eye I see Steve slip out the back door. He’s checking behind his shoulder, making sure no one sees him. Curious as to where he would go, I decide to follow him.

I find him outside talking to some boys I have never seen. I stay hidden behind the doorway and try my best to hear what they are saying. They’re talking about money, and I see Steve pull out a bundle of dollars and give it to one of the boys. The other boy passes Steve a bag of something that he automatically puts in his pocket.

Suddenly, one of the boy’s stares straight at me and yells “hey!”. Oh no! I have been spotted. As fast as I can, I run back into the main hall where Taylor is. I rush to my spot; grab the first paintbrush I see and try my best to look as if I have been there the whole time.

I hear the door open and out of the corner of my eye I see Steve enter and slowly walk back to his work. I can feel his eyes on me, but I dare not look his way. With my heart racing I try my best to look as calm as possible as I paint the barn. I steal a quick glance in his direction and am surprised to see him stand up and head towards the door.

I will not follow him again. The last time was too close. Whatever Steve bought from those boys was something that he definitely did not want anyone to know about. What if it was drugs? I have never seen any up close, but it would explain why he tried to hide it.

“Come on Rachel, we’re heading home!” my sister shouts from the doorway. I say goodbye to Taylor and grab my things to follow her. The car ride home is quiet. Too quiet. Steve stares straight out the window and Jane drives in silence. We get to Steve’s house and after a quick peck on Jane’s cheek, he grabs his things and jumps out of the car.

We pull away and Jane finally speaks to me. “Steve told me what he saw you do.”

I am completely surprised that he would tell her what I saw. “He should not have been out there” I reply.

“Neither should you! I cannot believe you would do that Rachel! I have no choice but to tell mom.”

“Fine by me. Lets tell her all about the shady things your little boyfriend is doing” I reply in anger. How dare she try to use this to threaten me? Mom and dad will be furious when they find out that Steve was on drugs.

Jane stares straight ahead as we finish the drive in complete silence.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close