300 Flowers - Cover

300 Flowers

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 3

Derek wakes up early, as always, and jumps in the shower. This day holds more promise than just making money. He gets to work as fast as possible and as always is met by Megan’s smiling face, and a folder with that day’s itinerary.

“Sir, we have an early meeting, but perhaps afterwards I can introduce you to Sarah.”

“Actually, Megan, I rode down with Mister Denton and Sarah as we were leaving. Mister Denton did the honors. Sarah and I have an open invitation for a drink sometime.”

“Smooth as always, boss.” They both smile.

“Alright, give me a half hour to get reacquainted with the file and to get my game face on and then we’ll go down to the meeting.”

“Actually, sir, they won’t be here until nine.”

“Perfect! Can you get me Brandi on the phone, please?”

“Yes sir.”

Just after Derek sits in his chair the phone rings. “Brandi.”

“Good morning, Derek”

“How are you this morning, sweetheart?”

“Feeling good. I got two more prospects for today alone.”

“Excellent! Hey, I thought we would drive out to David and Lisa’s together this Sunday.”

“Sounds good. All right, the first couple of possible buyers are here so I shall see you later. Love ya.”

“Yeah, love you, too. I’ll pick you up at your house say eleven-thirty.”

“Perfect.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.”

Just then Megan rings through. “Sir, you have another phone call.”

“Who is it?”

“It’s Eric, sir.”

“Oh, okay, thank you. Eric, my man, how are you this fine morning?”

“Good. Hey, I have lunch open.”

“Let me check.” Derek puts Eric on hold and asks Megan, “How is my lunch looking?”

“We have the meeting this morning and then you are free until afternoon.”

“Great, thank you. Eric?”

“Still here.”

“Good to go, brother.”

“Excellent! What do you think, Liaison’s at noon?”

“Sounds good. Alright later.”

“Later.”

After another busy morning Derek is looking forward to having lunch with his friend Eric. One must seek a balance to all aspects of a healthy life or one will falter under the weight of life.

“Hello, Katrina.”

“Hi, Derek,” she says, with a welcoming smile.

“I’m meeting Eric here for lunch. Has he arrived yet?”

“Yes, sir, he is at your Circle’s regular table. Right this way.”

Derek walks behind her and admires how her white blouse and black a-line skirt does her form true justice. “Thank you, Katrina.”

“You are most welcome, Derek. As always your server will be right with you.”

Derek smiles and then reaches over and shakes Eric’s hand before sitting down. “Been here long?”

“Just.” Without preamble Eric says, “Hey, I met a girl that I think you’ll really like.”

“What’s wrong with her?”

“What ever do you mean?”

“I mean if she is so great why aren’t you dating her?”

“A couple of reasons actually. One, she is the twin of the girl I went out with last night. And two, I think she is the settle down kind of girl, and I’m just not there yet. Anyway, I thought we’d take the twins out this Saturday.”

“Saturday, huh? I was hoping to relax that day and then go to David and Lisa’s get-together on Sunday, but I think I can forgo that for twins.”

“Excellent! We’ll take my Maserati since it fits four comfortably.”

“Alright, I’ll come over your house, say what, six?”

“Yeah, that’ll work.”

“Oh, by the way, what is her name?”

Eric smiles, “Her name is Chrissy.”

Every straight man in American knows Chrissy Snow, played by Suzanne Somers, from Three’s Company, even if you didn’t watch it as it was originally on. “Ewe, Chrissy! Any chance she’s blonde-haired and blue-eyed?”

“Yep.” Now Derek truly is looking forward to Saturday.

After the lady comes and takes their orders and they are sitting there Eric asks, “So does it bother you that you are the one who could have been having babies with Lisa?”

Derek thinks about it for a second. “Not really. David and her are good together. When we went off to our different colleges, we agreed to put us on hold. Then once Robert died in Iraq, my priorities changed. I went to a community college got my two-year degree in business and then proudly served four years in the Army. It is as it should be. I’m happy for her and she is still a dear friend.”

“Of course. I’m happy for them, too. Between them, and you and Brandi trying to find the one all the time, sometimes I feel like the odd man out.”

“Yeah, I feel for you, Hound Dog.”

Eric smiles and says, “Yeah, I know it’s a tough job, but someone has to do it.”

“But don’t you worry, brother, I’m sure since you’re not looking for her, you’ll find the one before either Brandi or myself.”

Eric gets a comical horrified look on his face and then says, “Bite your tongue.” They both smile.

After they eat lunch and are standing out on the sidewalk they hug and Derek says, “I’ll see you Saturday night.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close