Remembrance of the Wood - Cover

Remembrance of the Wood

Copyright© 2014 by Tamalain

Chapter 13

With the death of Thadius Thornbreak, the council suddenly found itself free of the influence from the power he had held over them. They quickly regrouped and began trying to undo as much of the damage he had done as they could. This proved to be no easy task in some cases from the level of insult he had created between the Wood Elven and the other races in the region. However, they did try and slowly the old trust was slowly regained with allies old and new.

A new member took the up empty council position, fortunately she was not of the Thornbreak clan. This went a long ways towards mending some of the fences as far as the Dwarven were concerned. The high Elven were just glad to be rid of that family from power.

One of Thadius's personal guards came forward and took the city guard to the hidden rooms below the city. Some of the things they found sickened the investigators. Councilor Thadius Thornbreak was a truly sick being. Several of the bodies they found where identified as missing girls, all below fifteen years of age. One big find was the other transport disk. Just looking at it told them it was dead. It was scorched and the floor under it was charred from the energy Tama had poured into it. One investigator pointed out it was the dampness of the wood here that kept Tama from burning the entire tree down.

Another find that proved annoying were the bats living in the center of the tree. It took a few days, but the bats finally came out when they became too hungry. The entries where all sealed so the bats could not return, so they soon returned to their real home at Mistmoore castle.

When word of the discovered bodies got out, the remaining Thornbreak family decided the best course of action was to flee into exile. Word quickly reached them that Qeynos would not give them sanctuary, so some of the family fled to Freeport and settled into one of the slum areas that surrounded the city and the rest fled to Darklight Woods near to Neriak. They had few choices, so the young that would have been rangers and druid became assassins instead.

Back at the Upper Pass village, life gradually settled down and Tama was back to making arrows for her bow. She had it down to a science by the time she had over one hundred arrows completed for her small bow. She even had plans to make a larger bow for herself since she was growing so fast.

Her abilities had settled down too. Now that the worst of the known threats were gone, she no longer lived in fear. Her time in the shop had become the focus of her attention. She was making a new bow based on the Rain Caller Bow plans her father had. They had been handed down to him by his mother after he had been damaged by Thornbreak. He had never had the chance after that to use them.

This bow was a very advanced form of a compound bow. It actually had two sets of parts listed depending on the skill level of the artesian. Tama stayed with the simpler version in this case. She did not know where to obtain the Dwarven steel wire or the enchanted gold dust, and the four cogs and pulleys indicated they needed to be created in Akannon by a gnome mechanic. She thought she might make the Rain Caller someday, but she was not yet old enough to obtain what would be needed, nor skilled enough to fashion it.

Basic heavy string she could do and the metal smith was able to make the simple steel pulleys. The compound bow would give her several times the striking power. The big if in this was if she grew big enough to use it. It indicated the smallest she could be and still handle it would be four foot three. She would make it for the day she could hopefully use it.

As to her first self bow, that worked very well indeed. She was able hit the target easily enough, just not dead center every time. She learned exactly how lucky her shots had been that day in school several years earlier from her current practice. She really needed all the time on the range she could get, but the shop, school and home chores kept her busy. In time she knew she would be able to practice more, but for now a few hours every rest day was all she could manage.

Willow had recovered with no ill effects from the poisoning, so she felt that she had used up most of her luck and tended to be more careful with things. Axemen went from wood cutter to hauler so he could stay closer to home. It proved to pay slightly more and he didn't stay out as late as he used too. All plusses as far as Willow was concerned. She did keep from him when she came into her fertile cycle this time and did her level best to start a sibling for Tama. She had worn Axemen out in that one week window of opportunity. She would know in a month or three if she had succeeded.

A month after things had settled down, four members of the council paid a visit to the Upper Pass Village. When they arrived Willow and Axemen almost went into a total panic and were nearly ready to run. Elder explained to them why the councilors had come, so they agreed to meet with them.

"Axemen Arrowmark, you were cleared of all wrong doing years ago and no charges could ever be filed against you for leaving Kelethin. You and Willow were both perfectly within your rights to come here and raise your daughter without interference. It was only the greed and vengefulness of a sick family that threatened your safety and the well being of your daughter. Should you wish to return to Kelethin, you are free to at any time you wish. Also, the properties that were your mothers have been restored to your name."

Axemen and Willow looked at them and remained silent for a moment. When Axemen spoke it was without anger. "Councilor, my wife and I thank you. But I think we shall remain here. This is our home now. While Tama may feel differently someday, we will remain here until the end of our days. Place the properties in Tama's name. Though I suspect at her majority, she will take on her full and rightful name of Tamalain Arrowmark."

"So be it, the properties so shall read as you request."

Tama had returned from the shop and had quietly listened outside the door to the entire conversation. This last bit of news about her true name had stunned her. Her full and true name was Tamalain. She walked back to the park and sat on an old log to quietly think for a bit. They had shortened her name to protect her. That she could believe and understand. It was the part that they were making sure all the properties that had belonged to her Granddame would be hers, that was proving too much to grasp right then.

She heard footsteps approaching and recognized them as her mothers. Willow sat next to her daughter and asked, "You heard all of that, didn't you."

"Yes mama I heard, I am actually Tamalain? That is my true and full name?"

"Yes. We called you Tama to keep others from finding you and hurting you. In this we nearly failed." Willow put her arm around Tama's shoulders and held her. "It was only because of the totem that you were able to fight off the evil creature that tried to take you."

"He almost killed you Mama. That sword was poisoned and you nearly died then. It was only because Thornbreak was an idiot, and Elder had all the people in place and ready to move. I have kept all my abilities on what could be called standby ever since that day."

"Tama, that could be dangerous to you. That is why Eaglesclaw trained you as well as he could to prevent you from doing harm to yourself and others."

"I know that mama, but it is a choice, be vulnerable, or be ready. I choose to be ready. Besides, the longer I've held them in a semi ready state, the bigger my mana pool has become from the practice. Just stay seated and watch for a minute."

Tama activated her Journeyman's and agility and started doing gymnastics back and forth across the yard. Then in mid leap she switched to Shadowstep and vanished. She had been practicing silent movement in sand so had learned not to leave tracks, or at least as little as possible. After moving around to the other side of her mother's seat, she dropped camo and sat back down beside Willow without making a sound.

"What do you think mama?"

Willow just about jumped out of her skin when Tama spoke from behind her. She jumped up spinning around and seeing her daughter just sitting there smiling at her. "Ok Tama, the abilities I can understand, but that jumping tumbling is new. When did you pick those skills up."

Tama just kept smiling, "Several of us at school have practiced a little everyday since everything happened. We all felt we needed to be faster and more agile to avoid getting caught like I was."

"That is a good idea Tama. I don't know how much you know about the entrance requirements at Trueshot, but agility is one of them." Willow sat and thought for a moment, "Tama here is what I want you to do later today. Write out a letter to the academy asking for a complete list of entrance requirements. That way you can study and practice the skills you will need, plus any others skills and books that improve them."

Tama didn't even have to think about it. "That is great a great idea, I will do that as soon as I get back. I am going to tell several of the others this. The ones that have talents and will be going in a few years as well need to know all of that information as well. I have to find Silor, he will need this more than any of the others."

With that, Tama took off at a fast trot to explain this suggestion to them. Once she found Silor at his home, she explained the idea to him and his mother. She was reluctant at first, but quickly saw this kind of knowledge and practice would help him in the long run. She found the few others, some older, some younger than her. All of then jumped at the idea and had set quill to paper before she was out the door for home to write her own request.

Next morning, the bard runner was a bit surprised to see nine young children with addressed envelopes waiting for him. As he started to ask, they each handed him the one silver it cost to send a letter. He snapped his mouth shut and just accepted his cargo of letters. Elder came up and handed him the daily council satchel and the five silver it cost. He waited several more minutes, put all the mail in his carrier pouch and called out, "Mail runner leaving in two minutes." This usually brought out a few last minute folks with something to send, and today was no different.

Silor watched closely as the bard prepared to go. He heard the song he knew so well start, but was surprised at the drum beat that went with it. The bard was gone from town in less than a minute.

Tama looked at her fellow students and said, "Now we just have to wait. I have to go to the woodshop so I will see you all this afternoon."

"Bye Tama."

"Later," and other assorted phrases of well wishing.

She arrived at the shop and worked on the pulley arrangement as shown on the plans, but the pull just would not come out evenly. The upper half would not flex enough even with the skimming she had done. A closer examination did find the problem finally. There were several hidden knots buried in the wood that did not show during the primary shaping. When she showed it to Greenstave, he agreed that the staff would not work. She removed all the hardware and stored it for later re-use, she added the failed bow to the scrap bin. Then she went and retrieved another piece of wood to start over again.


Two days later in Kelethin, the headmaster of the Trueshot academy was going through his daily mail. He stopped when he reached a simple envelope addressed to him personally, and a wax seal on the back he had not seen in years. Two crossed arrows over a bow and sword. He knew for a fact the last person to use that seal was well and truly long dead. For someone to use it now was an insult to her memory.

He opened the envelope and saw the hand written note, in a neatly hand written script, requesting information concerning admittance testing and skill requirements. A simple request indeed, yet it was when he reached the signature that he received a shock. It was signed, Tamalain Arrowmark, daughter of Axemen Arrowmark, son of Tamalain Arrowmark, head of the scouts of Marr.

That title set off bells of alarm and excitement in his mind. She would most definitely be receiving the information she wanted and more. He knew of some of the events of the previous fall, but not all that had happened involving her. He decided right then he would take the packet to her himself. He did have a weekly meeting to attend first though. The lunch gathering of the headmasters from the different schools was a must attend gathering. He decided to take the letter with him to show the others. On the way out he asked that a complete information packet for the entire five year program be ready for him when he returned. He also asked that a check be made on the tuition account that Tamalain had set up for her son. He needed the amount currently available in it.

He met his counterparts at Joles Tavern where they met every week. He was the last to arrive this week, but he was not concerned. As he took his seat, he saw a bunch of serious and bemused faces looking at him. After a moment, the High Elven from the casters group asked, "Did you receive a most interesting letter and request today as well?"

"You could say that I did, yes. So interesting I am going on a little trip to deliver the requested information in person."

"Let us guess," asked a woman with a contralto voice so clear even the spoken word from her causes hearts to melt in wonder and desire. "Yours also comes from the Upper Pass Village?"

"Yes it did as a matter of fact. What do your letters request?"

"All are from students that showed unusual talent during a skills presentation several years ago. They are all between eight and eleven years old by now I would guess. Who is yours from Jordan, I have a pretty solid idea, but am saving it until I know for certain."

"She signed it, Tamalain Arrowmark. Does that give you a clue. The girl is opening up and claiming her full family title. The only reason she couldn't do so before now was the threat from the Thornbreaks. I am very much looking forwards to meeting her and doing the initial assessment."

Clairion, the Bard school head mistress chimed in with that voice again, "I will come along as well. I looked up the record of sender of this letter, he shows massive potential as a Bard. He had mastered a limited form of selo's by his seventh year. That is almost unheard of in a child so young."

The casters headmaster, Bailoth announced he would join them as he had four letters to see too.

The druid and cleric said they wanted to come and look around the town to see if there was a reason for so many talents to show up from one place.

"It is too late to get good start today. I am taking a nice slow and calm horse. I will start after morning meal and ride as far as the Swayback Inn. Like I said, no hurry."

The rest agreed and they would meet at the western edge stables after the morning meal was finished. Once the lunch was finished, Headmaster Jordan went to the stables and arranged for the horse's they would need for the trip across the Greater Faydark.


For several days after the letters had been mailed, all kids involved got together and started comparing notes on what they could do. For outright power, Tama had them all beat. Another thing she was ahead of them all on was her body strength. The boys all looked at her arms and realized she was all muscle. One asked, looking embarrassed as he realized what he had asked, "If your arms are that well built, I would love to see how the rest of you has been filled out."

Tama turned a bit red herself from embarrassment. She knew she was well set up with the muscles, but did not realize how she would actually compare to others her age.

"Come on, let's all go for a little walk." She lead them up the hill path she ran every day. "I run this hill every day to the top. I don't have it with me, but I wear a pack with heavy stones a water bottles in it."

Once they reached the third turn, Tama stopped and told them, "This is the one spot that can't be seen from above or below." She reached down and untied her rope belt then lifted her dress over her head. She stretched for a few seconds then looked at the rest and asked, "Well, what do you think."

She put her arms out turned around once then put her dress back on and tied it. The fact that she had been totally nude had not bothered her, but when she looked at the others, the boys were just staring with glazed eyes, and the girls had a look of dismay. One finally spoke, "How do we compete with that."

"Workout and run every day like I do is all I can suggest." Tama waved her hand in front of Silor's eyes and said hello in his ear, loudly. He jumped in surprise and shame that he had acted in such a crude manner towards her. "I'm sorry Tama, it's just that you are incredible looking. Once you start to, umm, you know, fill out, every guy will be chasing you like mad." He didn't mention that her image was burned into his mind and he would want to dream about her himself for many years to come.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close