Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 39

The savior of mercy stood before the lands, tall as the silvery pillar behind it that reach beyond the endless skies. There was no notable signs that it held cognitive thoughts, the colossus that was heavily cladded in every part of its body with a knight-like stature yet its appearance alien. The roaring halo of flames on its back intensified as it continued to spread across and engulfed its body, blackening and scorching its once silvery defenses that melded together with its ghastly pale exterior, impossible to separate with eyes alone where flesh begins and where metal ends.

Yet, despite its obvious lack of possible reasoning and human thoughts, it was not without sentience as its senses quickly picked up the changes throughout the world it oversees. Where before there was only one that is to be considered a target for elimination at all cost, it was now clear that same invasive being has been able to spread. Like a rampant disease, the ever fragile and fluctuating thread that once collected and coiled around this magnificent world was now being corrupted; stolen away and is turning traitor to the very herald whom once brought upon them salvation and instead wrapping itself to four beings whose sins has stained them completely black.

Like the instinct of a wild animal or even that of a program detecting abnormality, Armadat’s singular eye focused itself, and almost as if rapidly analyzing, to the new targets of what was once nothing more than insignificant specks not even worth attention to now something grievous it could not turn away from. It held no emotion nor sentiments of any kind, even as a deep pain reverberated from the core of its massive body and spread out while it continued to reestablish its dominion over the fiber of life still attached to it and the great vessel of the divine. It did not need to feel, to think nor even to retain cognitive activity to comprehand the situation before it, of the four tainted and unholy beings that stood before it brandishing the vicious sharpness of rage to itself and those beyond, puppeteer by one who was of same kin; long casted out and overflowing with vitriol. Influential screams and maddening of once emotions from Kardea, the garden of Mercy and its springs, now floods the savior of mercy’s body and its flames grew stronger in response in an endless cycle of pain and punishment as it finalized its analyzation.

They are threat.

The great sentinel as its senses confirmed these thoughts escaped from its confinements released a malevolent sound of eerie laughter. As if suddenly, it was able to accept satisfaction and anticipation of what can only be called a deep and buried dark desire of its “original host”.


Kenjirou watched with almost bated breath his own hands that reached out and grabbing hold of their attackers. From underneath were vessels that tore out and covered the entirety of his arms, blackened as if completely charred. Wrapped so tightly it wasn’t possible to tell whether it was still flesh or just a squirming mass of veins forming a crude version of his limbs. The blackness that coated his arms gave off a lustrous sheen reminiscent of solid metal yet they moved with ease no different than normal skin. From his giant hand that caught the grotesque head of a monster, struggling and squealing like a rabid animal, he tightened his grip and watched as the layered flesh steels of his closing fist crushed it.

SPLAT

It was like popping a soap bubble. The sound of bone and flesh destroyed with almost minimum effort. Kenjirou, having adapted to his own conditions although never fully accustomed to the impossibility of unable to feel anything, still possess an understanding the amount of strength he exhorts in his regular movements. As he saw the dripping of red liquid that spilled out from the palm of his hand, drenching his knuckles and fingers and he released the dead body from his grip, he easily grasped how much power he has gained. And it terrified him.

“Monsters ... are we now also ... no ... no no no...” Came frightening thoughts that slowly resurfaced from his mind. The club president has always kept silent whenever such conversations came up among his clubmates. Whenever Takuya and Juntaro argued about such matters, he would always keep an apathetic attitude yet he knew that deep down, no matter how much he tried to reject them, those same thoughts have always plague him just as so. And now as he witness the increased monstrous mutation before him, in front of him with clarity despite the echoes of madness in his mind, he could no longer suppress these escaping thoughts.

He was scared. He was horrified. The memories he never wants to allow to take over, as the fact of what he now is, slowly crept upon him like a cold chill. He glimpsed at the blood dripped palms of his giant hands and winced, as the thought of losing control got stronger with every passing sound of his heavy breath.

“It’s going to be okay.” Suddenly came a small yet familiar voice. Looking up in surprise, Kenjirou’s empty yet frightful eyes met with the two-colored eyes of the young girl standing besides him. On her face was a kind look, her lips stitched together but still curved into a gentle smile.

“As long as we’re together, we won’t lose control. I’m sure of it.” As if she had read his mind, Ryuuko spoke to him with words of such reassurance that Kenjirou’s stoic mask broke away to a look of surprised never expressed before. Perhaps it was the way she spoke with such utmost confidence and gentleness, but upon hearing her declaration his fears blew away like a passing breeze.

“I see...” Kenjirou composed himself, slightly blushing from embarrassment that he of all people allowed such a moment of weakness. He adjusted his glasses while hiding away a slight smile before once again launching his fists out in attack of their enemies, releasing furious blows that utterly destroyed his targets upon impact. Ryuuko too, the engine of her weapon thundering, flashed her blade and split apart the pouncing monsters that attempted an attack.

“How are there still so many of these things? Senpai, what is it with you and doing shoddy work when we need it the most!” Takuya said as he spun the blades in his hands. They were bounded to his arms, looking like cruel extensions of his limbs, yet they moved with ease as tore into the bodies of the surrounding monsters. In a blink of an eye he sliced them apart, tearing through their harden flesh and bones like wet paper, and reduced to shreds where they stood.

“If you’re going to do a big attack, at least make sure it’ll work. Otherwise you’re just going to make us clean up after your mess.” He scoffed, flicking off the thickly coated red liquid from the edge of his weapons, the blackened steel of his blades flashing an unnatural sheen as they splatter and further dyed red the ground.

“Why you-! You just don’t know when to keep your mouth shut do you, you deaf bastard. Take this!” The wires that shot out from his floating cellphone tightly coiled together and quickly began gathering energy.

“WHOA!” Takuya exclaimed as he narrowly ducked away from a blast of electricity that flew past him. The shot pierced the body of an ambushing monster, killing and immediately reducing it into a puddle of disgusting goo. “What the hell?!”

“Oh don’t be such a baby. That was only about 1.21 jiggawatts and I wasn’t aiming for you directly!”

“You crazy asshole! And jiggawatts?” Takuya raised his eyebrows in confusion. The blades in his hands extended as he plunged it into the skull of another charging monster and, in a single quick motion, drove it downward and effortlessly split it apart without looking back, stepping away only to avoid the splattering of blood and guts from the eviscerated corpse.

“We’re wasting too much time right now. At this rate, we’ll never be able to reach her.” Ryuuko spoke up, a tone of distress in her voice as she explained the situation. “Every moment we focus only on these monsters, she’s getting stronger and stronger.”

“Is that right? So could it be, she’s bidding her time?” The president replied as he turned towards where the giant monster stood. The distance between them was not far but between them was still an army of snarling monsters, blocking their every possible path that even if they are to charge ahead they would be unable to reach it. “Hmph ... Mitsuhide, are you not able to do that again? Your previous attempt to clear out the rest of these remaining stragglers.”

“I wish I could big guy. But I have no way to do it again without the rest of you getting caught within my range. These damn things, they’re too close and I can’t risk putting you guys in harms way. It’s almost as if they know it too. Tch...” Juntaro clicked his tongue in frustration as he fired from his phone bullets of electricity to fend off their attackers, watching as they scampered away and narrowly avoiding his shots. “Are these things learning too? What a pain!”

“So we just need a way to wipe out the rest of these things, yeah? So, is it finally my turn?” Hideyoshi sighed but gave a smirk.

“Haa? The heck you talking about? If the four of us are having trouble together, what makes you think you can do anything better?”

“Senpai, shut up and just give me the coordinates of all these things. You can still do that can’t you? Or is your system updated to being unable to support us anymore?”

“Arrogant prick...” Juntaro scoffed but did as he was told, bringing up a reading of all the remaining life that was detected within their area. “Here. You’re welco- AAAAAHH!!”

“Nobody else move, otherwise I won’t be able to tell friend or foe!” Takuya demanded as he suddenly grabbed the cellphone and tossed the screaming senior member of their club into the air. Ryuuko was surprised at the sudden command but she and the president kept still as told, watching the young man taking a deep inhale before running after where Juntaro was thrown.

“I’ve always wonder why I’ve had trouble dealing with these things. They’re not strong nor tough, having to rely on numbers and move more like packs of wild animals, but to confirm that it really is because of my weapons that breaks so easily.” He laughed as he leapt high into the air.

“WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!”

“SENPAI YOU CAN FLY CAN’T YOU?! THEN HOW ABOUT GIVING ME A BOOST?!”

Juntaro regained control again as Takuya landed his foot on his screen, the both of them floating in midair.

“How fast can I really go? Let’s find out senpai!”

“You jerk! I’ll remember this! AND YOU BETTER NOT SCREW THIS UP OR I’LL NEVER LET YOU LIVE IT DOWN!” Angered but finally understanding what his underclassman want, the wires from his phone coiled again and charged itself in preparation for another powerful shot but instead of aiming at their enemies, he directed it the opposite direction.

FWOOM

Releasing a blast of electricity different from those previously employed, it was a short burst with tremendous recoil that pushed away from where they were, creating a propulsion Takuya immediately took advantage of used to launch himself ahead.

SLASH

The blades in his hands flashed as he made contact, the sound of cold steel effortlessly ripping into flesh and bones that killed his target in an instant. But rather than stopping, the moment he collided he moved once again using the body as a springboard to the next. Before the monsters could even fall, before their blood could even spill out and before they could even utter a sound, Takuya’s blade was already in the skull of another. And another. And another.

SLASH SLASH SLASH

Takuya shot through air like a bullet fired from a rifle, ricocheting from target to target. The rest of the club too barely even had time to react or was even able to see him, instead only feeling the razor wind that blew pass them from the whirlwind of fury. Every blink, multiple monsters were already dead and more were in line for slaughter. In a moment that felt instantaneous yet seemed to have lasted for an almost unperceivable amount of time told only of its passing by the sound of slicing metal and tearing flesh, Takuya finally reappeared as he gently landed on the ground.

“Phew...” The breath he had long held in was finally released as the remaining monster around them suddenly exploded, their body bursting apart all at once and their blood rushed out through the air, covering the skies in a storm of dark red liquid.

“Argh! Gross!!” Juntaro exclaimed as he dove for cover from the gruesome shower, as did the president and Ryuuko.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it? Like flower petals; I only wish I was able to rearrange it in a way it would fall in a more elegant display. Now then...” Takuya chuckled as he wiped away the blood from his body and pointed his blades at the colossus that stood from afar. “Are you satisfied? Have you seen enough, because you’re next!!”

Armadat who has been silently watching, like a statue standing firm and observing the events, finally reacted. From its massive body blew across to the A.R.C a powerful and eerie noise of mocking laughter that made blew across the fields.

“Laughing. She’s laughing?!” The president growled, astonished.

“Huh? What?” Takuya turned to understand what was happening. He could not hear it but even from the distance he saw shaking movements that surprised him, having to confirm what he was seeing was true.

“Hey, hey, hey ... isn’t that thing suppose to be mindless or something?! For real how ... how the hell can it laugh?!” Juntaro exclaimed.

“This is not the first time.” Ryuuko exclaimed as everyone turned to her. “When I fought against it earlier, it also laughed. Not just laughing but it showed signs of mockery, as if it understood perfectly what was going on and was enjoying itself when it started to gain the advantage against me.”

“Hmph ... so we were lied to yet again. Why am I not surprised. That dishonest scumbag...” Kenjiro scoffed, his face in a disgusted scowl.

“No, that’s not it. I mean, yes; we might have been lied to but there was no doubt some truth in their words.” Ryuuko said, firmly shaking her head. “At the beginning of our engagement she was mindless in that “she” was trapped, unable to break away and held against her will in there. I was able to hear her voice clearly, even as she was forced into such an such an animalistic state.”

“However, it then stopped. I didn’t notice at first but now, definitely, the one currently in “control” is not the same girl crying out for me to save her. As if suddenly, in the midst of our fight, someone or something else took over.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close