Eden Virus - Cover

Eden Virus

Copyright© 2020 by JTaKeo

Chapter 14

The corridors of the school were dead silent save for the echoes of our footsteps. It felt strange wandering the school at night, as if we’ve gone to another world. Shadows flickered as we pass by empty classrooms, giving me a sense of unease. It was all so creepy; everything was just too quiet.

“Umm ... hey,” I called out to Hideyoshi, who was walking in front of me. My voice reverberated, but he did not respond. He continued walking, ignoring me. I let out a sigh as we continued down what seemed like a never-ending hallway.

“Here we are.” He announced as we finally arrived in front of a clubroom with no name.

“Prez, it’s me and Takatora.” He called as he knocked on the door. In response came a gruff voice.

“Come in.”


“Welcome to the Artificial Research Club. I’m Nobunaga Kenjirou, the current sitting president. Very pleased to meet you.” The club president greeted as he placed his right hand out to me. They were huge, almost twice the size of mine.

“H-hello. I’m Takatora Ryuuko, nice to meet you too.” I responded timidly, keeping my hand to myself. He noticed my uneasiness and promptly pulled his hand back.

“Please, have a seat.” Hideyoshi pulled out a chair for me at the large table in the middle of the room. “Would you like some coffee?”

“2 sugar and cream please?”

He chuckled to himself at my request. His laughing made me felt a bit embarrassed as I sat down.

“Please relax. You can have some snacks if you want.” The president said as he took a seat across from me.

“Thank you...”

Various open bags of chips and candies were spread across the table. The scent of coffee and sweets strongly lingered in the air as I looked around the room. It was a typical medium size club room, the ones usually for recreational activities. From the looks of it, it could’ve been for photography or a small art club.

Books and paper laid scattered about on the desks and even on the ground, as well as numerous equipment. I could see a small electric stove, a bunch of dumbbells and ... a broken bicycle? It was upside down with its front wheel replace with what looks like a giant rock. It looks like some sort of makeshift grindstone. There were also what seem to be Futons behind where the president was sitting. All the mess made me wonder if someone had been living in here.

But the thing that caught my eyes was the giant whiteboard in the back of the room. On it was numerous pictures of places of the city, strange diagrams and even photos of people, many with crosses over them. It reminded me of those bulletin boards they keep clues and evidence on in those detective dramas. I could not read everything, although a single word stood out on the top of the board that connected to the rest of the information. It read, “Artificial” in big bold letters.

“Please don’t mind the mess. We don’t usually have other people around and well, we don’t often get a chance to clean either.” He said nervously as he noticed I was looking around.

“All these things, do you ... do you guys live here?”

“ ... Yes.” He replied shyly.

“Oh! Umm ... well...”

“In Artificial, we don’t actually have homes to go to. So for us, the school and the clubrooms are the only places we could stay at. But we’ll get to that in a little bit. Takatora, how are you feeling?” The president stared at me, his small, frightening eyes glaring through his glasses.

“I’m ... I’m feeling much better now.” I responded while trying to break away from his scary gaze.

“What’s wrong?” He asked with concern, yet it only seemed to make him look even scarier.

“Prez, it’s your face again. You’re scaring her.” Hideyoshi told him.

“Eh?! Oh ... uh ... I’m really sorry.” He hid his face in embarrassment.

“No, no! I don’t mean to ... it’s just, you look...” I quickly tried to reassure him.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close