Prodigal Son - Cover

Prodigal Son

Copyright© 2020 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 10

As Colonel Anderson stepped into the room, everyone rose.

“Be seated, Gentlemen. I called this meeting because we have been offered a proposal from the Overland Stage Company. They are having some problems west of here in the Carson City to Reno area. Stages and freight wagons have been robbed. And relay stations have been raided and destroyed. The current death toll is 15 employees and civilians. It wasn’t mentioned, but I suspect that farms and ranches in the area have also been raided. The body count is probably much higher. The Overland representative admitted that they were out $100,000.00. I suspect there is more that they won’t admit to.”

“Overland wants to commission us to look into and hopefully solve this situation. We didn’t discuss dollar amounts or terms. All I agreed to was that I would bring it to you. Any thoughts?”

One of the troop commanders rose and asked, “Any idea on the opposing force’s size?”

Captain Burgess, the S2, spoke up “Anywhere from 15 to 20. Standard weapons and tactics. I doubt if any of them have military leadership experience. The information we have is that the leader of the gang operating in that area is Big Bob Pritchert. He worked with the Powell brothers. As everybody knows, the Powell brothers have already been taken into custody. I believe they will be on their way to Flagstaff today. If this is correct, their numbers may be cut in half. I estimate that no more than ten and most likely seven riders.”

“Pritcherts group are very bad actors. Up until approximately six months ago, they operated in old Mexico and the Yuma area. From what I have heard, the Mexican Federales got sick and tired of them and issued shoot on sight orders. This made Pritchert nervous, and they moved north. As I said, the current estimate was 15 to 20 bandits. But we have already taken out 7, which cuts deeply into their manpower. There are bounties on most of them. Plus, the Mexican government would also love to talk to them.”

The B troop leader spoke up, “How big is the area of operation?”

Again, Captain Burgess replied. “Quite large. Running from Carson City in the south. To Reno in the north. Virginia City is about halfway between the two. But probably the richer target. There is a lot of wealth there with the silver strikes. Basically all of Washoe county. Plus, it’s over 300 miles from Wilkins. Whoever is over there will be far outside our logistics range.”

The S8 Lieutenant Richard Dickson asked. “How much do we charge Overland? They are a successful company. What is our dollar figure?”

Colonel Anderson answered, “I’d be willing to bet that their rep will try to lowball us. Say under $5000.00. I intend to start at $50,000.00. And settle at 25. But I’ll also want a completion bonus. If we bring in the outlaws, it’s $5000.00 a head above and beyond the base.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close