Witch Eyes - Cover

Witch Eyes

Copyright© 2012 by Argon

Chapter 10: An End To Meddling

The next morning was a big rush for Katie and Amy, and by extension Luke. Mother and daughter had to get rolling early, and after dropping off Katie at her house, he drove Amy to school. The smile on Amy's face could not have been removed with a power sander, and before she exited the car, she gave her dad a hug with all the strength of her thin arms.

Back home, Luke showered and dressed for work, but before he left he made a reservation at a jeweler's shop in downtown. During lunch break, he slipped out from work and met with the jeweler. It took them almost an hour to agree on a design: a four carat emerald surrounded by a ring of small diamonds and set in a platinum ring. The jeweler promised to have it done within the week.

He also texted Katie three times during the day, just short notes saying, "I still love U!". He got a lot of smileys back from her. She called him around four.

"I'm on my way to pick up Amy. Magruder thinks I should take tomorrow off to let my swelling go down. Should we come to your place?"

"Please, do. Bring an overnight kit. Or better yet, call the movers."

"Whoa, boy! Give me the chance to keep up a little decorum. I can't seem too eager. It's going to bring down the bride price."

"I'll pay your father in Scotch whiskies."

"He'll probably call it a deal if you give him one more of those Glenmorangie thingies."

"Nah! You're worth the entire distillery."

"I guess you meant it as flattery," Katie laughed. "Listen, I'll see you in an hour. Take care!"

°°°

A half hour later, Luke sprinted from the building and jumped into his Passat. He debated with himself whether to pick up some nice champagne but decided against it. He wanted to be on time to greet Katie.

He was certainly doing no more than 30 mph when he spotted a cop cruiser with flashing lights in his rearview mirror. What now? He stopped at the curb and put his hands on the steering wheel like a good boy. The officer approached his window and Luke rolled it down.

"Sir, we clocked you at 38 mph back there. Would you please step out?"

Obediently, Luke stepped out. Somehow, the cop stood too close and Luke in his effort to avoid the man stumbled slightly.

"Sir, have you been drinking alcohol?" the cop, one Officer Cairns, asked sharply.

"No, of course not!" Luke answered indignantly.

"Your speech is a bit slurry, Sir. Do you agree to a Breathalyzer test, or do you want us to go to the precinct for a blood testing?"

"Go ahead! Give me the Breathalyzer test. I've got nothing to hide," Luke shrugged. This was weird anyway, and he did not want to be late at home.

He blew into the contraption and the cop whistled. "I've got you at oh-point-oh-nine, Sir. I'm afraid you'll have to come to the precinct with me."

"That's got to be some malfunction!" Luke protested, now getting a little worried. "I haven't had a sip of alcohol since last night at nine. Listen, can I at least make a phone call?"

"Afraid not, Sir. You'll be afforded a chance to make a call at the precinct. Please put your hands behind your back!"

The cuffs closed coldly around his wrists, and a feeling of deja vu washed over Luke.

"Look, can't you make an exception? My girlfriend is coming to my place with my daughter. I just want to tell her I may be late."

"I'm sorry, Sir. That would be violating our regulations. Please sit in the back of my cruiser."

With his hands cuffed there was nothing Luke could do. The cop radioed in and asked for a tow truck to recover Luke's Passat before he put the car into gear.

"Unit 14. Calling in. I have a suspected DUI. Estimated BAL oh-point-oh-nine. Request blood testing."

There was some squawking in the speakers which Luke could not understand, but the cop nodded.

"I read you. Where?"

"Corner Hamilton and San Tomas," the radio squawked.

"That's a Roger," Officer Cairns announced. He turned to Luke. "Sir, I'm going to transfer you to a transport heading for Holton Medical Center. You will be submitted to blood testing there, and they will allow you to make your phone call. Is that agreeable?"

"Okay," Luke sighed. "Whatever, just let me call my girlfriend."

"You're in trouble with her?"

"No, but I just got back together with her after eight years. I don't need anybody to screw this up for me."

"Relax. It'll take just two hours, three tops."

A windowless van marked with police decals was waiting at the curb, and Luke was marched over to sit in the back. Nobody else was in the van – a relief really – and it drove off immediately. Not being able to see his wristwatch, Luke had no idea where they were going or how long. It seemed like an eternity, and the car turned so often that Luke lost all sense of direction. His shirt was soon soaked in sweat from the stress he felt.

He fretted over Katie waiting at his door, over what she would think, and how disappointed she would be. Shit! After what seemed like an eternity, the van came to a stop and then backed onto some sort of ramp. It felt like another fifteen minutes before the rear door was opened, and then Luke looked at the entire Monahan family and his own father. In the backdrop he recognized his house.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close