Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 148: Kyoto Epilogue 3--An Early Summer Morning

(A beautiful morning. The sun shines, birds chirp, people go about their business. The morning peace is suddenly rent by a shriek.)

Misao: WHAT?! You're going back to Tokyo tomorrow??

(Misao, Okina and Kaoru are eating breakfast together.)

Misao: Why? We just got the Aoiya rebuilt! I thought we could finally relax and have fun now!

Kaoru: Why? You've taken care of us long enough. And it's about time I reopened the dojo in Tokyo.

Misao: But you can open a rundown dojo with only one student any time!

Kaoru (sweetly): Misao, I'll let it go this time, but next time you say that I'll smack you into next week, kay?

Okina: Tomorrow is so sudden. Why not take your time and wait a few more days?

Kaoru: I've already bought our tickets. And for Kenshin, this is a city full of bitter memories. It's better not to stay too long--

(A slight pause.)

Okina: That's true. We forget we only know the Himura of today. He was once utterly the Hitokiri Battousai...

Misao: But--but that was in the past! He's a good guy now! He's gotta make up his mind and move on!

Kaoru: I think so too, but it seems as though Kenshin himself doesn't feel that way...

Misao: Well it's not going to help if you're as dark as he is! If you don't start being more cheerful he's going to stay like this forever!

Kaoru: Maybe so, but...

Okina: Well then. There's something to what both of you are saying, so it's time I took a hand...

(he throws an armful of guidebooks in the air.)

Okina: Today we'll do it all in Okina's personal guided tour of Kyoto's greatest sights! We'll make the city a happy place even for Himura!

Misao: All right!

Kaoru: In other words, you're just looking for another excuse to have a good time...

Okina: Go wake everyone up! We've got a big day ahead of us!

Kaoru: Okay, okay... (she walks down the hall to Kenshin's room.)

Kaoru: Kenshin--guys? Are you awake? I'm coming in...

(The room is empty except for Yahiko.)

Yahiko: If you're looking for Kenshin and Sanosuke, they left already.

Kaoru: Together?

Yahiko: Nah, separately. When I woke up Kenshin was already gone. (walking past her) I'm going out too.

Kaoru: Going--going where?

Yahiko: Mount Hiei.

Kaoru (thinking) That's where the Shishio faction headquarters was--

Yahiko: Masu gave me some onigiri so I don't need lunch. (leaving)

Kaoru: Hey, wait a minute! (but he's gone.) That kid!

Megumi (right behind her): Hm. So Ken-san's out today.

Kaoru (jumping): Megumi!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close