Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 126: The Giant Against the Great Man (Beginning)

(Everyone stares in amazement as Hiko holds off the giant's sword. Hiko grins, and with an extra burst of effort, turns Fuji's sword aside, cracking it. Hiko and Fuji stare each other down.)

Shiro: He didn't just block that monster's sword, he turned it aside ... who is he?

Misao: It's Hiko! Hiko Seijuurou! Himura's master and current heir of the Hiten Mitsurugi school! When Himura was talking about a backup plan last night, he must have meant him!

(Yahiko is still lying on his back, staring up in shock.)

Hiko: What's wrong, kid. Paralyzed with fear now that you're safe?

Yahiko: Shut up! What about you! If you were coming you should have come a little sooner! You just did this to look cool!

Hiko (picking him up by the back of his shirt): Complain to my stupid pupil, not me. It's all his fault for not telling me exactly where this place is. I was wandering all over Kyoto thanks to him. (tossing him to Kaoru) Stand back, this could get rough.

Kaoru (hugging Yahiko): Thank you.

(Hiko smiles, then turns back to Fuji.)

Hiko: Well then ... shall we begin?

Saitsuchi: So, you are that Himura Battousai's master ... and you could but brush Fuji's great sword aside. So, in the end, this is your limit! No matter how great the ant, it is all the same before the mighty elephant. There are none who can stand before the monster of this century, Fuji of the Hagun!

Hiko: Give it a rest for a minute, old man. I'm talking to this guy you call Fuji of the Hagun.

(A moment of shock--no one, especially Fuji, expected this.)

Kaoru: Talk...

Misao: To that monster?

Hiko: That stroke was pretty good, Fuji. You had a good grip at the moment of impact, in keeping with the methods of swordsmanship. A monster or a demon, without a thought in his head, couldn't have done that.

Saitsuchi: Don't listen to him, Fuji! Listen to what I say! When the whole province banded together to lynch you as a freak, who took you in? That was I! Don't think about anything else but the debt you owe me!

Hiko: Old man! (Saitsuchi is shocked into silence) I'm talking to Fuji. I'll have a talk with you later.

Misao & Yahiko (thinking): He's scary...

Kaoru (thinking): What a master...

Hiko: Let's see, where were we ... yes, that was a good hit. But as you are now, you're no match for me. You'll die hidden in that heavy armor.

Misao: So what he wants to say is that he's good. (What an egomaniac.)

(Okon (hearts for eyes): I'm in love!)

Kaoru (thinking): Armor... ! He's right ... no matter how strong he is, he'll be hampered by the armor. And he'll unconsciously let down his guard a little with the security of being protected. In other words, even if he puts all of his strength into a blow, it won't be as great as it could have been ... Why is he deliberately telling this to that monster?

Saitsuchi (desperately): I see your ploy! Don't be fooled by his lies, Fuji! He's trying to deceive you! He's provoking you into losing your presence of mind, tricking you into taking off your armor yourself!

Hiko: Feh ... it must be tough having such a stupid master, Fuji. In payment for saving your life, he got a devoted fighter? That's pretty good. My stupid pupil could learn a thing or two from you. But isn't it about time you chose to fight for yourself? Your outlandish strength makes everyone around you a coward. And from your point of view, no matter how hard you wish, just because of that body of yours, you can never have a fair fight. But today it's a different story. The man you can fight with all your strength and never defeat is standing before your eyes.

(Fuji bites down on the chinstrap of his helmet, severing it. His armor falls away. He throws back his head and roars, tears in his eyes.)

Kaoru: He's crying...

Okina: They're tears of joy ... We saw this Fuji only as a monster. We didn't see the depths of his heart, didn't recognize his sorrow as a warrior ... And so this response ... Hiko Seijuurou. Truly a great man...

Misao: But isn't he stronger now that he took off his armor? This is not a good thing!

Yahiko: Stupid. This is good.

Misao: What's good about it?

Yahiko: I hate to say it, but he's doing pretty well so far. He's pretty cool.

Saitsuchi (as Fuji places him on the ground): Fuji...

Fuji (haltingly): A fair fight! Man to man!

(He readies his sword; Hiko, grinning, turns to face him.)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close