Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 114: The Stabbing Fang

Usui: I'll kill you!

Saitou: Try it.

Usui: I will!

(They charge)

Saitou (thinking): The turtle shield! I don't know if there's some trick to it, but there's nothing the Gatotsu can't pierce!

(The tip of his sword meets the shield. Usui hears it and moves the shield sharply to the side, glancing the sword away.)

Usui: A trick? What did you think, Saitou? This shield is a Timbeh. The curve of the turtle's shell disposes of the enemy's weapon--(thrusting the shield in Saitou's face)--and seals off his field of vision. And its partner, the hand spear Rouchin--stabs! (He drives the spear into Saitou's thigh. Saitou drops back a few paces.) This is one of the arts of the royal family in my homeland, Ryuukyuu. A fighting art based on this spear and shield!

(Saitou, showing no sign of pain, resumes the Gatotsu stance.)

Usui: ... I see. The strength of the Shinsengumi sword, the attack you refined until it became an ultimate killing technique. Till the end you rely on the Gatotsu. But!

(Saitou charges again, only to be blocked and stabbed as before.)

Usui: The instant your Gatotsu strikes the surface of the shield it can't see past, my mind's eye sees everything! My three-step attack cannot fail!

(Saitou falls back again, bleeding.)

Usui: You can see where this is going, Saitou. You can't hit me with the Gatotsu. Prepare yourself, Saitou. I'll kill you without a second's pause. You saw the depths of my heart that even Shishio didn't see. I'll make you regret that.

Saitou: You think torturing those weaker than yourself will make you forget that you can't kill Shishio? You think he doesn't know? He's no fool. He's probably well aware of your trite pride. By pretending not to know he can make good use of you.

Usui: Shut--SHUT UP!

(He leaps forward suddenly, thrusting the shield before Saitou.)

Usui: What about now! You can't use the Gatotsu and you can't see! You're a blindfolded daruma doll! Let's hear you talk big now! (thinking) Taste fear, Saitou! The final attack comes through the shield to your face to kill! You can't see it coming! But my mind's eye sees all your movements--?!?

(Saitou pulls the sword back and stabs straight through the shield. Usui is literally cut in half and pinned against the opposite wall.)

Usui: Was that ... the Gatotsu?

Saitou: You said it yourself. The Gatotsu is a refined stabbing technique. Naturally there are different forms for different situations. The ordinary one is the first method. Cutting down on the diagonal from above is the second. To intercept in midair, the third. And the secret technique I used just now, sent out from close quarters with a spring of the upper body is the Zero method. I was saving it for when I settled things with Battousai. Think this an honor.

Usui: Damn you. When Shishio finds out ... how I was killed ... by the likes of you...

Saitou: Pathetic.

(Usui is silenced.)

Saitou: You should have thrown away your sword when you lost to Shishio without fighting. Keeping up appearances for the sake of your vanity was a mistake from the start. A man who can't uphold his beliefs is pathetic dead or alive.

Usui: You have no ... mercy?

Saitou: What? You expected sympathy?

Usui: Heh ... stupid ... Without ... hesitation ... you uphold ... your belief. Doing the difficult ... simply. Saitou ... you ... live by the sword. In the Meiji era ... can you keep up your ... Kill ... Evil ... Instantly?

Saitou: Of course. Until death.

(Elsewhere in Shishio's headquarters)

Sanosuke: Dammit, aren't we there yet! This chick's heavy!

Yumi: What are you trying to say, you jerk! And quit whining, you're almost there! The best of the Ten Swords is next, the Seta boy! This time it won't be so easy!

Kenshin (thinking): Seta Soujirou...

(He suddenly stops in front of a door.)

Yumi: Don't be in such a rush, this isn't it! This is Houji's room, it's empty now! Empty!

Sanosuke: We gotta hurry, Kenshin--hey, Kenshin!

Kenshin (thinking): He's here!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close