Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 96: Between Life and Death

(Kaoru is lost in thought at the Aoiya.)

Misao: It's dangerous to sit staring out the window like that. You don't know when or where an enemy will strike.

Kaoru: Misao.

Misao: Uh-uh-uh! Not Misao, Okashira! (Kaoru sighs) Himura should learn the secrets and hurry back, huh.

Kaoru: Yes, but... (they look out the window, at Yahiko practicing outside) Stronger, stronger ... it's only natural for a swordsman. If he gains the great strength of the succession techniques, he'll have an advantage in the battle with the Shishio faction. But on the other hand, it will be even more of a disadvantage in the battle between the vagabond sworn never to kill and the Hitokiri that lurks in Kenshin's own heart. I think ... I'm sorry, Misao, you have enough to worry about.

Misao: Oh no, don't worry about it. I'll be fine.

(At dawn, Hiko and Kenshin face each other again, with deep circles under their eyes.)

Hiko: You look like you didn't get a wink of sleep last night.

Kenshin: So do you.

(They go splash their faces with cold water, and try again.)

Hiko: So ... did you discover what it is you lack?

Kenshin: No...

Hiko: I see. So after all, you are a man with limits here. You did not find what you lack. Incomplete as you are, mastering the succession technique or defeating the Shishio faction is meaningless. Even if you devoted yourself to defeating them, you could not defeat the Hitokiri who lives in your heart. Tormented by anguish and pain your whole life, you kill. (He casts off his cloak.) Instead of the succession technique, prepare for the worst. My final duty as your master.

(He draws his sword with such speed that Kenshin puts up an arm to shield his face. The cloak sails overhead and strikes the ground behind him.)

Hiko: A white cloak set with springs opposing the muscles and 10 kan of shoulder-weights. It's been used by those who hold the name of Hiko Seijuurou to restrain the inheritor of the Hiten Mitsurugi's power in times of peace. Prepare yourself, Kenshin.

37.5 kg, about 80 pounds.

Kenshin (thinking): The first time I've seen him ... This is the true Hiko Seijuurou. My left hand ... it's shaking. Am I scared? Of Hiko Seijuurou? Or of the death I can see so clearly behind him--

(He clenches his hand into a fist.)

Kenshin (thinking): I am not afraid! I was prepared to die in the violence of the Bakumatsu. Even if it costs me my life, I will learn the technique--

Hiko: Let's go.

Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu Kuzuryuusen

(Death flashes before Kenshin's eyes, and he is caught in a storm of memories.)

Kaoru: I want the vagabond--

Yahiko: Dammit. I want to be strong.

Sanosuke: That's why I'm not letting you go off wandering, Kenshin.

Megumi: If you're using my dealings with opium as a hold on Ken-san, then I'd rather be executed.

Jin'eh: I'll be watching from hell to see how long you can stay a vagabond.

Hanya: After this it's up to you, Himura Battousai.

Aoshi: Until I kill you, no one will.

Misao: If you try to bear everything by yourself, you'll only end up miserable. I don't agree with that at all!

Okina: Everyone wants to see you come back safe. Please don't forget that.

Okubo: For the sake of the people of Japan, Himura, go to Kyoto once more.

Saitou: From now on, Japan's confusion truly begins.

Kaoru: KENSHIN--!!! Kenshin: I can't die. I have no reason to die just yet!

(He draws his sword--they clash.)

Hiko: That's it ... that's good. You who killed and stole many lives held remorse and a sense of guilt. You thought nothing of your own life. You hid the fact that yours too is just another human life. This held back your own strength. That was how you allowed the Hitokiri to build a nest in your heart. When you surmounted this, you discovered in between life and death. The will to live you lacked.

(He turns to face Kenshin, revealing a huge slash across his chest.)

Hiko: With the Buddha's benevolence you sacrificed yourself to protect the weak and those you loved. Left in sadness, they could not truly be happy. In the dangers of the age, in the passion of violence, quietly laying down your life is utterly insignificant in the ever- flowing passage of time. There is nothing stronger than the will to live ... Never forget that. You'll be able to use the Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki freely and well. You won't lose to the Shishio faction or even to the Hitokiri inside you.

Kenshin: Master. (Hiko only smiles.) Master?

Hiko: Don't worry. It is the destiny of the master and student of the sword in the passing down of the Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki. Don't think of it as breaking your vow...

(The gash widens; Hiko crumples.)

Kenshin: Master!!

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close