Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 45: Extra Story: Sanosuke and Nishiki-e (the Beginning)

Sagara Sanosuke (19). Born the first son of a farmer in Shinsuu, in the first year of Manen (1859). When he was nine, he left home to join the Sekihoutai. He idolized the captain, Sagara Souzou, but the unit was accused of being a false government army; Souzou was decapitated and the Sekihoutai was dissolved. After this he came up to Tokyo to become the street fighter Zanza, devoting himself to fighting and winning fame until his defeat by the vagabond Himura Kenshin. From then on, he frequented the Kamiya dojo. He now leads a carefree life doing nothing in particular. (At the Akabeko)

Sanosuke: Nishiki-e?

Tae: Yes, a new picture seller came today, but he's so popular he's sure to sell out, and we can't leave the restaurant.

Sanosuke: So you want me to go buy some for you.

Tae: Yes, would you?

Sanosuke: You should ask Yahiko, not me--

Yahiko: I'm working! Unlike some people I could mention...

Tae: Well, all right, I'll treat you to lunch.

Sanosuke: Fine. I guess that's about right.

Tae: It's all been on your tab up till now. (Don't be too arrogant.)

Sanosuke: Hey, why sweat the details. (How'm I supposed to pay, anyway?) Well, what kind of picture do you want?

Tae: "The Swordsman Iba Hachirou" by Tsukioka Tsunan!

Sanosuke: Oh, the dashing hero from the Bakumatsu, Hachirou of the Sekiwan. Didn't think you had that kind of taste.

(Tae giggles.)

Tsubame: Umm...

Sanosuke: Yeah?

Tsubame: Um, no ... it's nothing.

Sanosuke: If you want to say something, you gotta come out and say it. So what is it?

Tsubame: ... no...

(He shakes his head and turns to leave.)

Sanosuke: Okay, Tsukioka's "Iba Hachirou," ... two of 'em. Customer: That's Sano for you. He's different.

Tae: I just hope he can pay...

Yahiko (glowering): And I've got to work... (Yahiko loses a point in a match of manliness.)

Customer: Now that he's friendly Sano's okay, but he used to be really cool.

Someone Else: Yeah, Zanza! Even when he was smiling he was never relaxed. Like a bomb just before it explodes. Always glaring.

Colored woodblock prints of "the floating world" were called nishiki-e in Edo. In Edo times the pictures were mainly of landscapes or popular actors. Entering the Meiji period, various types of pictures were drawn as the culture became that of the masses. Today, they are an important means of telling us about Meiji culture and customs. (Sanosuke strolls over to the picture seller's stall.)

Kenshin: Sano?

Sanosuke: Oh, it's you two.

Kenshin: Nishiki-e? How unusual.

Kaoru: Maybe a beauty?

Sanosuke: Feh.

Kenshin: Maybe something erotic?

Kaoru: Oh my.

Sanosuke: Feh. Tae from the Akabeko asked me to get her something. It's not for me.

Kaoru: Oh, boring.

Sanosuke: Hey, two of Tsukioka Tsunan's "Iba Hachirou."

Merchant: Tsunan's "Hachirou"? You're in luck, these are the last two. Tsunan's pictures are very popular, we always sell out fast. Two pictures will be ten sen.

Sanosuke: Oh look, I don't have anything on me. Lemme borrow some.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close