Himura_battousai - Cover

Himura_battousai

Copyright© 2011 by Murasame

Chapter 32: Extra Story--Yahiko's Fight (Middle)

(Yahiko leaps from the roof with a mighty yell. Unfortunately he lands, on his feet, but rather painfully.)

Tsubame: Yahiko-chan!

Yahiko: I told you not to call me that!!

Tsubame: Sorry!

Yahiko: Throw away any stupid thoughts of stealing! Or else Myoujin Yahiko of the Tokyo samurai is your opponent!

Fighter: You brat! I'll make you eat those words!!

(Yahiko blocks his stroke, then gives his a blow to the stomach. He follows it up with a strike to the face, knocking him out.)

Yahiko (thinking): I can do this! I know enough to use it!

Fighter2: You--

Yahiko: Come on!

Fighter3 (striking him from behind): Don't push your luck! Now you're surrounded!

(They beat him. Tsubame looks on, aghast.)

Mikio (snapping his sword back in its sheath): Huh. I didn't have to lift a finger.

Kenshin (watching in silence):...

Sanosuke (kicking him): Whadduya mean, '... '. Are you just gonna sit there and watch?

Kaoru (seizing him): Exactly! Yahiko's in danger!

Kenshin: Just calm down.

Kaoru: I won't calm down! He may be rude, but he's my only student!

Kenshin (pulling her ponytail): Wait. Yahiko hasn't noticed that we're here. Our appearance would be very unnatural.

Kaoru: But--

Kenshin: Someone who is always rescued cannot become strong. This is Yahiko's fight. Unless he asks us for help, there should be no interference from us.

Sanosuke (thinking): "A lion pushes its own child into a thousand ravines," huh? But ... Tsubame: Stop it ... stop it, Mr. Mikio! He has nothing to do with this. I'll give you the key!

(He snatches it away from her.)

Mikio: Hey. The kid's nothing. We've got more important things to do.

(They stop and walk off, following Mikio.)

Tsubame (rushing to Yahiko): Are--are you all right?

Yahiko: Dam ... dammit. One on one I coulda...

Mikio: Tsubame! (she freezes) From now on, remember who your master is.

Fighters: See ya, Yahiko-chan.

(They leave.)

Tsubame: I'm sorry. It's my fault you got mixed up in this. I'm so very sorry...

Yahiko (standing up without her help): From the molds they can make a real key in less than a day. They'll carry out their plan tomorrow evening.

Tsubame: Yahiko-chan! I mean...

Yahiko: It doesn't matter. I couldn't stop those creeps. I am still "chan." (slowly walking away) You didn't drag me into this. I stuck my own neck out. So don't worry about it. (thinking) I can't tell the police. They'd make her an accomplice. And I'm not asking Kenshin or the others for help. I don't want to bother them with these guys. This is my fight!

(Kenshin and the others watch him go.)

The next morning

Yahiko: Well ... that's about right.

(He has taken a wooden clothesline and hung planks from the crosspieces.)

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close