How Did I Get Here? - Cover

How Did I Get Here?

Copyright© 2011 by Chels C.

Chapter 2

I was smiling like an idiot as I reached Jake's car. "What's with the goofy grin?" asked Vince as I jumped into the back seat next to Aly. Still shocked that Jay liked me I didn't hear his question as I smiled out the window off in my own little world. I was brought back to reality when Jake tapped the breaks to get my attention. "What's up? Was there something in the road?" I asked looking up and saw Jake looking at me in the rearview mirror.

Instead of answering me all they did was laugh and Vince asked again "What's up with the goofy grin Kay?" Not able to help myself I shot back the first insult that popped into my head "Aw Aly I told you to hide the mirrors from your brother so he wouldn't see himself ... Don't you ever listen?" Aly, Jake and I laughed as Vince rolled his eyes at us. Still laughing Jake said "Dude, she got you there"

"So Kay, really while are you all smiley?" asked Jake after he had calmed down. "I don't know what you're talking about" I said as I put my head up against the window and watched the scenery pass by. I felt eyes on me and saw Jake staring at me through the rearview mirror "Stop staring at me and watch the road Mr. Driver" I said turning my attention to Aly who had just nudged me.

I looked at her and saw she was smiling at me knowingly so all I could do was nod at her because I knew she could tell. We both knew that when it came to guys not to say anything around our brothers because they got overly protective. I know that Jake was looking out for me but he needed to realize that I was a big girl who can make my own decisions.

The rest of the car ride was spent like normal which was Jake and Vince talking about video games while Aly listened to her IPod. I spent the rest of the car ride thinking about the notes that Jay and I had been passing all day. I really wanted to re-read the last one but knew it would have to wait or else the guys would steal it and read it. This was one thing I wanted to keep from Jake, for now at least. I learned freshman year that when it came to boys it was best if Jake didn't know.

Freshman Year

I was walking into my room after I got home from this guy Jeremy's house that I really liked down the street. Closing my door I had a huge smile on my face. "Where have you been?" I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned around and saw Jake sitting on my bed with his arms crossed looking very serious.

"Hey JJ, what's up?" I said as I walked across the room and sad down next to him. "Kara Ann Stevens! Where the hell have you been?!" he yelled at me as he jumped off the bed causing me to jump as well. "Whoa Jake, what's wrong? I was at Jeremy's house" I said putting my hands up defensively.

He got even angrier which I didn't think was possible as he said "Why were you there? I told you how I feel about him and you still go there. Why Kara?" by the end he was whispering and having me wonder why he hated Jeremy so much they use to be such good friends when we were in elementary school. "What's wrong with me hanging out with him?" I asked as I touched his arm lightly hoping to calm him down.

"I don't like him because I know you can do better and remember what happened between him and Rachel last week? I just don't want you near him" he said as he got up and left my room.

An hour later I was sitting in my room listening to music when my phone rang with Jeremy flashing on the screen. I smiled as I answered "Hey Jeremy, what's up?" For a second I thought he hadn't meant to call me until I heard a small voice say "I'm sorry Kara, I can't see you anymore" then hung up before I could ask why.

Present Time

I found out later that week that Jake had gone and paid Jeremy a visit after he left my room and told him that if he didn't leave me alone he would regret it. When I found out I didn't talk to Jake for a week and for a week after that if I did talk to him it was only one word answers. Since then I didn't talk to him about anything that had to do with guys knowing that would probably happen again.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by Jake pulling into our driveway. As we got out of the car we said goodbye to the twins and walked into our own houses that were across the street from each other.

"So Baby P, what do you think our new neighbors are going to be like?" asked Jake as we reached the house and put our bags down. I shrugged still not able to think about anything other than what had happened with Jay earlier. I was kind of obsessing over this for some reason but didn't know why.

"Are you going to talk to me or just ignore me?" he asked. I turned to Jake with a smirk and said "What do you think my lovely brother?" before I turned away I saw him stick his tongue out at me. He opened his mouth to say something again but was cut off by dad coming in and saying "The new neighbors are..." he then let out a sigh "What are you two fighting about now?" he asked when he saw we both had our arms crossed and were facing away from one another.

We both started laughing when we saw how worried he was about us fighting. "Nothing Dad, we're just messing around" said Jake still laughing. "Yea come on Dad it's impossible for us to fight about anything ... well anything to serious anyways" I said as Jake put his arm around my shoulder. Jake nodded in agreement as we turned and walked into the living room with Dad close behind us. I laughed when I heard dad mumble "I swear you two are blood related and not step-siblings" I looked up and saw Jake laughing too so I knew he heard dad too.

We walked in as Jake bumped hips with me causing me to run into the door frame because he let go of my shoulder at the same time. He laughed along with Dad as I tried to stay balanced. "Can you two at least wait a little while before you scare off the neighbors? And Kevin don't encourage them" said Mom trying not to laugh too. "Sorry Lisa, you kids heard your mom behave" said Dad pretending to scold us as we both faked sorry looks.

I turned my head when I heard two familiar laughs from the other side of the living room; I blushed when I noticed one laugh belonged to Jay. "Hey, what are you guys doing here?" asked Jake when he saw Brooke and Jay sitting on the couch laughing at us. I looked down suddenly very interested in my shoes. I felt Jay's eyes on me as I saw a pair of shoes next to me. I looked up and saw a very bouncy Brooke smiling at me. "We're your new neighbors! Isn't it great?!" said Brooke as she hugged me. Laughing I said "B, I can't breathe" She said "Opps" as she let go of me.

"That's cool. If you want you guys can ride with us, Vince and Aly to school tomorrow" said Jake as we all stood there. "Oh, that's a great idea! Cuz then I can see Vince again!" said Brooke bouncing next to me. "B, you'd see him at school anyways" I said laughing when I saw her reaction and Jay looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "I know that silly. But this way I'll see him more" she said like it was obvious. "Whatever you say, hey let's go hang out in my room" I said as I headed towards the stairs.

I heard Mom say "Well seems like the kids get along" with a laugh. "Kay, let's all go in my room" said Jake from behind us. I didn't say anything but instead just opened the door to his room and sat down on the bed with Brooke sitting next to me. Brooke and I started talking as the guys started playing 'Burn out' on the PS2.

After we had been there in a while Brooke looked over at her brother then back to me smiling. "Kay, can we go talk in your room? It's kinda private" she said getting up. I nodded and got up to leave but Jay rushed to stand in front of the door. "What's so important that you can't talk in front of us?" said Jake as he stood next to Jay to help block the whole door. At the same time Brooke and I said "Girl talk" like it was obvious and put our hands on our hips.

"Okay, that's kinda freaky. You two have been saying and doing the same thing at the same time all day" said Jay as Jake nodded in agreement. I smirked at the two boys and said "And to think, we'll be doing it more as we get to know each other better. Now if you'll excuse us" as I pushed my way between the two with Brooke close behind me smiling.

"Dude, we are so screwed" I heard Jake say as Brooke and I walked into my room across the hall. I was about to sit down but walked over to my door and stood next to it. I turned around and saw Brooke giving me a strange look and was about to say something. So I held up my hand signaling for her to give me a second before I opened the door jumping back as our two brothers fell forward onto the carpet.

The both looked up at us with the deer in the headlights look before jumping to their feet and leaning against the door frame on opposite sides. "So B, do you think our lovely brothers were trying to ease drop?" I asked the giggling brunette. "Nah, what would give you that idea? I mean they only just fell in here when the door opened" she said still giggling. "So did you two want something?" I asked raising an eyebrow, but both just shook their head.

I looked over their shoulders and fake pouted getting confused looks from the boys. "Daddy, Jake and Jay were being mean to B and me" I said as both boys' jaws dropped and turned around quickly. "Nice try Princess. Guys dinners ready" Dad said laughing before turning and heading back down the stairs. I laughed along with Brooke while getting glares from the boys.

"Your mean Speedy. First you run me over, then ditch me and now try to get me in trouble" said Jay as we walked down the stairs behind our siblings. Smiling I turned to him and whispered so only he could hear me say "Yet you still asked me out"

"Jay, Brooke you two can sit next to Kara and Jacob" said our mom from her seat next to their mom Penny. "Thank you Mrs. Stevens" said Jay as he sat next to me with Brooke and Jake across from us. "Oh call me Lisa please" she said smiling at us. "So kids how was your day at school?" asked Dad causing us all four of us to start laughing earning strange looks from our parents.

At the same time Brooke and I said "These two are hilarious together" as we motioned to each other and our brothers. "And those two have been doing that all day" said Jake then Jay added "Yea it's kinda creepy" as both boys nodded.

"The longer that you're with them the more you'll realize how strange they are together" said Jay. I put my hand up and pretended to cough "Pot" into my hand. Jay just looked at me and rolled his eyes as he nudged me under the table with his knee.

"She has a point Jas" said Brooke as her mom nodded in agreement. "There's no one stranger than you" added penny causing us all to laugh. "By chance did either of you see who ran into Jas when he first got to school? Because I know Brooke didn't" asked Penny causing both boys to laugh really hard. I slowly raised my hand as I said "Yea that would be me. I wasn't watching where I was going" By the time I was done everyone but me was laughing. "It was funny to watch. Her books went flying all across the hall" said Jake as I glared at him.

This caused everyone but me to laugh even harder. I pretended I couldn't hear them and continued to eat my food. I started blushing when I felt Jay's eyes on me. I smiled as I turned towards him to see a smirk that made me glad I was sitting down because it could make any girl go weak in the knees. We both continued to stare at each other until I heard my dad cough reminding me we weren't alone.

I blushed even deeper when I realized the whole table silent and staring at the two of us. It was an awkward silence to where all you could hear was silverware on plates. "This is really good meatloaf Mom" I said trying to break the silence. She smiled at me and nodded as she continued to eat. Great, way to fail I thought.

"So Jay is Kara the girl you're going out with on Friday" asked Penny smiling at the two of us. I held back a laugh when out of the corner of my eye I saw Jay tense up slightly at his mom's question. "Mom!" hissed Jay as his cheeks turned a deep red. Brooke watched clearly amused as she ate her food. "What? I'm just curious because if it is Kara then I approve" Penny said smiling at me. Now I was blushing along with Jay as I said "Yea Penny, Jay and I are going out on Friday" I couldn't help but smile when I said this because it somehow made it more real.

I looked over at my dad hoping to get a feel for what he thought about me and Jay going out on a date. He smiled and winked at me while giving me a single nod of approval. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. I smiled and tried to ignore the look Jake was giving me. I knew that he would want to talk to me about this later. Crap! I forgot to warn Jay about Jake being overly protective I thought.

While we were sitting there the front door flew open and I heard Aly yell "Honey I'm home" from the living room. I was so grateful for her right now because now the attention was off our date. "Hey I'm here too" said Vince as the door shut. "There's food in the kitchen guys" said mom as the twins appeared in the door way. I laughed along with everyone else as Aly jumped up and down clapping her hands before heading to the kitchen.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close