El of a Thing - Cover

El of a Thing

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 8

FRIDAY 3:45 P. M. Lake's Edge Hold, Elfrealm Lake's Edge


Feeling like he needed to probe the attitudes of his Dark Cousins, Elnore called them to a meet in the Solarium. After the formal greetings were taken care of food and drink appeared. While Elnore nibbled at his portion the others fell to with a will. Snatches of tight band comm between the Dark Crew gave rise to Elnore's thought, 'What in the worlds must they be eating over there, that makes simple fare like this seem grand?'

After the main meal was finished, Elnore brought in a tray of Bolo De Sol as a dessert. This was greeted with amazement by his cousins and much praise for the chef. Mazel asked, "My Lord, would you be kind enough to point out the maker of these wonders? I would bestow honor upon such a one."

"Certainly Cousin, but you will need to travel to the realm of men to bestow such. Would that we could have come up with this ourselves. But that honor fell to one Angelo Catrella and his spouse. Sometimes I think that Finvarra himself would be pleased with what they have become."

At the name of their ancient hero his Dark Cousins knew they stood unmasked and though the youngest was first to draw blade, all participated in the wounding of an Elfrealm Prince.

FRIDAY 4:35 P. M. News Stand, Wabash and W. Van Buren, Chicago, IL


Elnore's scream pierced Mike like the sword piercing Elnore's side at that very moment. Without one word he took off toward the portal and crossing to Lake's Edge he ported to the hold. On arrival he found the Master healer bent over Elnore and lent of his energy to aid the elder healer in his task.

As Mike read through the psychic shambles left in the wake of this encounter he found a savage thought emerging, 'You bastard's think what happened to the Demons was bad? You haven't seen shit yet!!'

Elnore, though grievously wounded, still caught the edge of Mike's thought and with a trembling hand restrained him. "Michael, do not even think it ... what you propose is genocide ... there are forms to follow and they WILL BE followed!" came the fierce whisper, with the will of an Elven Prince behind it.

Michael bowed to this will, though he still seethed inside. Stating, "We will ... pay these bastard's back."

Through the pain, the hint of humor showed as Elnore replied with, "Oh yes, we will. But correctly, so none can gainsay our motive. But rest assured, there will be full measure returned for this days work."

The grin of a wolf appeared on the face of the son, not born of his flesh. Seeing it, Elnore thought, 'Oh yes, full measure indeed.'

FRIDAY 4: 45 P. M. Nexus Portal, Chicago, IL


Mazal's fuming as they approached the Nexus finally slipped over into speech, "Aseal, bear me witness here. As you are my kin, I give you fair warning. Draw your blade again in anger without thought ... and I promise to spit you myself. You managed in less than a second, to make a possible ally, into a sure enemy. Well done, thoughtless one."

Stewing in the righteous indignation of youth, Aseal replied, "But brother, he knew who we were. We had become unmasked in his sight."

"Yes, he did, as he was sitting at the same table as we, but did he count us as enemies? Which, if he lives, he surely does now. Such a pity your thoughts did not travel that far," replied the eldest. "Let us carry what we have to our Lord in the hope that it is enough."

FRIDAY 5: 15 P. M. Outside City Hall, Chicago, IL


Kyle Martin had just had his best day ever. Links to at least five highly placed City Officials had been uncovered and as a bonus, the names of more than fifteen state government officials had turned up in this organized crime Merry-Go-Round. 'At this rate I'll be able to fill an entire wing at Gitmo, ' Kyle thought as he walked toward his car.

Kyle actually made it all the way to the entrance of the Eisenhower Expressway before the carefully timed cell call turned his car ... and world, into a smoking black wreck.

FRIDAY 5:30 P. M City Hall, Chicago, IL


It was a little surprising that no one had put up a banner at City Hall;

"Hot, Fresh, Paranoia Served Here : Buy One, Get One Free!"

The atmosphere certainly would have supported that conclusion.

Someone was rolling over big time and resignations for health reasons were beginning to appear like the first kernels of popcorn exploding in a batch. Links to the city's underworld that had been in place for generations, were being severed one by one. The terror running freely throughout City and State government was almost unnoticeable at the street levels. But, as one climbed the ladder, this feeling took on the aspects of the great horror films of all times. From the Governors office down, officials were sweating bullets and forcing the makers of Malox, Tums and Rollaids to work round the clock shifts in an attempt to keep up with demand.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close