Abby - Cover

Abby

Copyright© April 2009 Texrep

Chapter 12

Abby had seen the Valley for the first time in late March, when the weather could only suggest a vision of the summer to come, and the Foliage was just a clue to the verdant picture of the Valley in high summer. Now in early July, those promises were fulfilled. The trees of Huish Coppice swayed gently to a slight warm breeze, and raised and let fall their leaves like petticoats at a dance. The late afternoon Sun shone strongly on the meadows and cattle clustered gregariously in the deep shadows under the trees. Sheep lethargically grazed the higher pastures, as if even the ongoing task of eating was too strenuous an exercise in the heat. The air was so still that the droning of a Tractor from much higher in the valley carried; heard, but not seen. Everything was as Abby remembered, yet different. She was a visitor no longer, now she felt as if she was coming home. The Combe Inn extended the same welcome, the door open, no one in attendance except the Dog, lazing in front of a now unlit fire. Yet again, the Dog, raised its head, gave that one thump of its tail, and resumed its leisurely dozing. Abby approached the Bar, and called. "Mary."

The response was immediate and Mary bustled in, obviously from the kitchen as she dusted Flour from her hands. The welcome was most genuine; no one could fake the wide beam that split Mary's face. Wiping her hands on her apron, she rushed round through the door at the side of the Bar, and flung her arms around Abby kissing her cheeks both sides.

"Oh Abby, it's so nice to see you again, we have missed you. Jack will be delighted, as will Sam and Mavis and the others, not to mention Mr. James. He has asked if you would be coming back, you know. Now how long will you be staying? Your old room is ready for you, and we are happy to have you here as long as you want." As usual all this came out without Mary pausing for breath, and at the same time nodding her head. Abby smiled back, as Mary's beam was contagious.

"Mary, it's good to see you again, and if it's all right with you I shall be staying for some months." Mary stopped short.

"Some months?" she repeated, "why, what has happened? Have you lost your Job, or something?" Abby hastened to re-assure her.

"No, nothing like that, in fact I have resigned, but I'll tell you all about that later. But is it all right to stay for a few months? If it's inconvenient, I could find somewhere in Paverton." Mary shook her head brusquely.

"Of course it's all right, you don't think I would have you going anywhere else, do you?" She sounded offended at the idea. "You stay as long as you want. Now where are your cases, in the car? I'll get Jack to bring them up for you. Let's have a nice cup of tea first, just you sit down, and I'll bring it through.' she then called Jack, whose voice carried up from the bowels of the earth. His footsteps sounding as he climbed up from the Cellar.

"Abby!" His grin was as infectious as Mary's beaming smile. "It's really good to see you again; I won't shake hands, as I'm all dirty from the Cellar." Mary interrupted him.

"Never mind about that now, Jack; fetch Abby's cases from her car; and take them up will you." Jack nodded.

"I'll put the car round the back as well, The Grockles are about now, and some of them are none too careful about parking. Have you got the keys, Abby, or are they in the car?' Abby gave him the keys.

"The luggage is all in the Boot."

He nodded and went off to get her cases. Mary called after him.

"Just you wash your hands first, Jack Elvesly." He waved his hand in acknowledgment. Mary was going off to make the tea, but Abby forestalled her.

"Mary, what or who is a Grockle." Mary laughed.

"A Grockle is a type of visitor. They charge around the country, never getting out of their car except to eat and drink something, or take a few photographs. They think the countryside is very pretty, but reckon that the Farmer's new Barn or Silage tower shouldn't be allowed, as it spoils the view. The smells of the countryside offend them, Silage, Dung, and the like, and they get really upset if they get mud on their shoes. They don't spend money with us, but seem to think that our toilets are public facilities, then at the end of the day, they go back to the caravan they have hired for the week, and eat the food they stocked up with from their local supermarket before they came. That's a Grockle." Mary thought a little and continued. "Mind, we don't get too many round here, the roads are not marked except on the most detailed of maps, and we don't have a Macdonald's or KFC. But we get enough to do well out of Cream Teas most afternoons."

Whilst Mary was attending to the tea, Abby wondered if they thought that she was a Grockle, but then discounted the thought, after all, Mary was unlikely to have said anything uncomplimentary about Grockles if she Abby, was one herself. Mary bustled back with the tea tray.

"Would you like to sit in here, or outside? The Sun will have gone off the front by now, and it will be quite pleasant." Abby didn't need to think too much.

"Outside please, Mary. Air Conditioning in the car is very good, but you do get the feeling you are breathing stale air after a while." they sat at the bench table, which was, realised Abby, where the photo of her Grandfather, Grandmother, and Mother had been taken. The bench would probably be a replacement, but the location remained the same. She said so to Mary.

"Yes, Love, it would have been here. Strange isn't it, how life has a habit of going full circle? Such a pity that your Granddad never knew about you. Still, these things happen." Without taking breath, Mary launched into another conversation.

"Now what's going on in your life?"

Abby took the breath that Mary hadn't.

"Well, I resigned my Job, for a start. I realised that although I had enjoyed it immensely and it paid well, very well, it wasn't going anywhere. Perhaps it was me, getting to an age when other things could be more important. Perhaps it was coming down here, and discovering the truth about my family. I don't really know. I suppose that I had just become dissatisfied. The catalyst was seeing my deputy being prepared for higher things, and knowing that I had gone as far as I could. So I left. I can manage for a while without worry, and I could not think of a better place to contemplate the future than right here." Mary nodded.

"Yes, there is no better place for you. Now you just relax, Abby, and enjoy your time here, get out now that the weathers fine, and get some colour into your cheeks. We'll put some good food inside you, and before too long you'll feel a different person." Abby groaned inwardly at the thought of the good food that Mary intended she should eat. She would really have to be careful or else her weight would soar.

Jack came out and took a seat beside Mary.

"Luggage all sorted, the car is round the back," he grinned at Abby, "really nice to see you again, I expect that Mary will have given you the third degree by now, and she'll tell me what she thinks I should know later. Did you have a good journey down? I would imagine that car goes well and comfortable too. Bit different to my old Land Rover eh?" Abby relaxed; enjoying the tea and the gossip that Mary could now regale her with. Some of the people mentioned were unknown to her, and Mary was careful to explain their links to people that Abby did know. From time to time cars would pass by and a hand would wave indicating a local, others would slow and stare, and then drive on, with Mary and Jack murmuring under their breath, but simultaneously 'Grockle.' Abby soon saw for herself the giveaway behaviour and could identify them almost as swiftly as Jack and Mary. The afternoon slipped away easily in this relaxing way, until Mary stood.

"I must get on, what would you like for your dinner this evening, Abby?" Abby was happy to eat whatever Mary produced, but made the stipulation.

"Small portions please, Mary. I cannot manage the amount you used to put on my plate." Jack grinned.

"That's all right then, there'll be more for me." Mary scolded him,

"Just typical of a man, always thinking of his stomach. You'll have what you're given, and be grateful." Mary collected the cups and saucers and piled the tray to take back.

"See you about seven, is that O.K.?" Abby nodded.

"Yes, that will be fine. I'll go and unpack."

Abby took a lot longer to unpack and put away her clothes, than she had on her previous visit, and was thankful for the large amount of hanging space the wardrobe provided. At times she was surprised with some of the things she had brought, which included four quite dressy suits, and blouses, now she wondered why she had bothered with them, they would never be required downstairs, it was not that sort of a place, and she couldn't imagine being asked out to a smart restaurant; or was there such a possibility? Putting these thoughts on one side, she completed the unpacking, with some small ornaments and a photograph in a little silver frame, of her mother, together with the photo of her grandfather, grandmother and mother taken outside the Combe Inn. This had been restored by one of the staff at the bank, who had the necessary software on his computer. She was after all going to be here for some months, and may as well make the room a little more homely with these small touches.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close