Star Chamber
Chapter 5: A Day of Thanks

Copyright© 2019 by A Carpenter's Son

November 26, 2020 Thanksgiving Day:

A man and his wife put on all the warm clothes they could. He fastened a little trailer to his motor bike. They carefully put their most precious item in the trailer along with pillows and blankets inside big black garbage bags. They had taken a few days to make this decision. Their 4-wheel drive vehicle was low on fuel and with all the stations closed for the holiday that left the motor bike. They had watched as a man they knew had healed all those people on the bridge. Even bringing back to life five of them. Then last night there was a news item about the shelter John was putting together. All was going to be welcomed. The time was just before 7:00 in the morning and they felt they could reach their destination before the storm hit this afternoon. The young man had put a special plastic chain on his rear tire to help with breaking and traction.

A little after 8:00 a SUV with five people left Everett. They had chains on all four tires. Their home was going to need some major repairs. The pipes were all frozen even the sewer pipes. Their vehicle was loaded with blankets and pillows. The sister’s mate was very sick. They were more than desperate. They had water and sandwiches. They had a Seattle map. The man watched in horror last week as his father healed almost two dozen people on the University Bridge. His father did the unthinkable, he brought five people back to life on live TV. Those around him felt the man on TV had committed a major crime against God, humanity and nature. The son felt very lonely, but everyone had turned to him for a solution to their crises. He wondered how big the explosion was going to be when he brought his two worlds together?

The SUV and the motor bike were the only two vehicles on the road. The highway department had kept the snow down to a foot deep or less on the interstate. The people in the SUV slowly made their way ahead of the bike. The bike pulled in behind. The SUV unknowingly followed John’s path until it carefully turned off onto the offramp for South highway 99. The motor bike stayed behind it. There is two ways to West Seattle, one is the way John went, which was now closed with a dozen signs saying so. The other way was a two-mile detour, but the slopes were much gentler.

On the bike:

“Are you okay honey?”

“I’m hanging in there. How much further?” The girl asked.

“Ten minutes if I don’t get us lost. Oh, there is SW Morgan. Honey we are almost home free.”

“Thank you, God.”

In the SUV:

“Are you sure we want S.W. Morgan?”

“Yes. This winds around and ends on California Avenue.”

They had to slam on the brakes then go around an abandoned vehicle. The bike behind them was still there and came close, but nothing hit. The SUV continued plowing a path with the bike behind. When they made the turn onto California. Several people were walking up the road. Then there seemed to be dozens maybe even a hundred or more. All of them were carrying black bags. Many had blankets around them. A handful of minutes and the SUV slowed then turned on its right turn indicator pulling into a parking lot. The bike followed it in and parked next to it.

The man with the helmet helped his lady off then went over to the driver of the SUV, “Thank you for making us a path. I don’t know if we would have made it here. I’m Sam Fredricks and the love of my life here is Mary.”

“I’m Johnny Taylor and this is Teresa, my wife.”

“You must be Father John’s son?” Sam asked.

“Yes. I hope he’s here.” Johnny said.

Well, let’s ask. We lived above him at the apartment in Arlington. We just came from there.” Sam said, “We were going to have a pretty dismal Thanksgiving. No lights, no heat, no water and no family.”

“We just left our home in Everett. There is going to be some major damage done before all of this is gone. There must be thousands of people lost. My father is the only one that I know of that may be even a little bit prepared.” Johnny said.

“Let’s go find out. I bet he has turkey for dinner.” Sam laughed.

They proceeded towards the main steps into the Parrish.

“Can you young men give me a hand?” Kirk asked. He had just hydrated twelve gallons of turkey over his big burner. He got six gallons of water boiling with a pound of butter and a cup of salt added when the six gallons of turkey was added. Ten minutes of gentle stirring and the turkey doubles in size filling the twelve-gallon container.

Sam and Johnny both turned towards Kirk, “What have you got?” Sam asked.

“It’s Turkey. It weighs about one hundred and forty pounds. Take it down the steps and place it on the dolly. The girls there will guide you to the kitchen. They’ll know what to do with it.” Kirk cleaned up and turned his burner off following the seven people down the steps. Two of the girls were helping another walk.

When John saw the helmets, he recognized them instantly. He walked right by his son and his family and went over and acknowledge Sam and Mary.

“Father John, do you have room for us?” Mary asked.

“Yes. You may be sharing a bed with me and Jenny.” John smiled until it hurt.

“You found her!” Sam said.

“She found me.” John chocked.

“We followed your son in.” Sam said, “They plowed the road ahead of us from Everett. Without them, we may not have made it.”

“WHERE?” John was frantic as he looked around. Once he found them, “Oh thank God.” John moved in their direction, “JOHNNY!”

“Dad!” The two men hugged,

“You said ‘hi dad’?”

“You were focused.”

“It is said that when the white man arrived on the North American Continent the Natives didn’t see the ships until the white men stepped foot on shore. Ships like the Santa Marie were not in the native’s realm of experience. I did not believe I would see you. For me to function these last few days I’ve had to be focused.” John looked at his son, “I love you son with all my heart. I am still here because of you.

“Dad, we have an emergency. It’s Kirin, she’s got a high fever.” Johnny said.

John kneeled in front of Kirin and looked at her, “Kirin, do you know who I am.”

“Johnny’s dad.” Came back weak at barely above a whisper.

“Are you in pain?” John asked her.

“Yes, my lower back left side.” Kirin cried out when he barely touched it.

He turned to Carol, the mother of Kirin’s mate and Johnny’s wife, “Kidney stone?”

“Yes. But how do you know, you’re not a doctor?” Carol the RN said.

Tina and her camera man were filming the action.

“I’m a Reiki Master and have been doing healings all my life. I’m also an intuitive and empath and able to read others. Why didn’t you take her to a hospital?” Carol turned away and did not answer.

Marion was next to John’s arm, “Mom doesn’t like Kirin. Kirin stands up to her. That’s also why you’re not on the list.” Marion was the sister to Johnny’s wife. Kirin was her mate.

“I’ve never stood up to her?” John looked at Marion for a few seconds, “Someday, some place please tell me what your mom is hiding?” Marion nodded. John turned his attention back to Kirin, “On a scale of 1 to 10, what is your pain level?”

“9.99!” Kirin squeaked out.

“Is it okay if I eliminate this pain for you?”

“Yes.” Kirin said, “Please!”

Tina was not interfering but was repeating what was being said so she didn’t have to put the microphone anywhere close to the newsworthy scene.

“We are going to place you in a sitting position on a mattress that is on a worktable. Then we pause. When you are ready tell us to keep going. Next step is to swing your feet onto the table. Then to lay you down. Then to help you turn onto your right side. Every time we hit ten on the pain scale you can sock Johnny on the arm as hard as you can later.”

“Hey, volunteer your own arms.” Johnny protested, but with a smile. Kirin, Marion and Teresa were all giggling.

It was good to hear the girls giggle.

Kirin was lifted and set on the table, “Keep going.” She said. Her feet were lifted and used to spin her around. She screamed, “KEEP GOING!” Carol was back helping her lay down, “Johnny that ought to be worth 5 or 6 good ones.” Kirin tried to smile with her eyes full of tears.

“Girls, having babies is easier than a kidney stone.” Carol said, “I thank God I only had one kidney stone.”

“Let’s lower her temp a bit.” Put your left hand on Kirin and point your right hand to Mother Earth. While you’re doing that follow my lead with the Lord’s Prayer, “Our Father who is in Heaven, Hallowed be His Name, His Kingdom Come, His will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For this is our Father’s Kingdom, and His power, and His Glory, for ever and ever. We are most Grateful for this experience.”

When the prayer finished John asked Carol, “How’s her temp?”

“Almost normal.” Carol had felt Kirin’s cheek and forehead and could not believe the result.

The Judge was at the head of the table. The cameraman was to his left. Marion was to his right and was whispering sweet comments to Kirin to help distract. Next was Johnny then Perry White. Nancy and Reverend Jacob. Then Tony and Willa and Jenny were to John’s left and Carol to his right, “Open up your hearts and send Kirin Love.” John’s hands had turned blue and were almost transparent. He reached into Kirin’s back where the kidney should be and pulled out a bloody ball with spikes about ¾” in diameter, “How does that feel now Kirin?” He asked this as he healed everything as he pulled out. This had taken about fifteen minutes.

“Pains almost gone.” Kirin had her strong voice back. The coloring in her face was returning.

“My God. That’s twice the size mine was.” Carol said, “I’m so sorry.”

“Mom, this may have been the better choice. Now we can eat Turkey.” Marion said, as she smelled the air. It truly did smell like Thanksgiving.

The eyes of Johnny and John locked for a few seconds. He was smiling at his dad’s success. John winked at his son. Johnny felt all would be okay as his two worlds merged.

“Kirin, do you have any other things that hurt from time to time?”

“Her lower back Papa John.” Marion answered for her mate.

“Kirin, can you roll over onto your tummy for us?”

“Okay.” Kirin was alive again.

“Lower vertebra is out about ¾”.” John put his hand on it, “Everybody, gently put your right hand on top of mine palm down.” John’s hand felt like it was 120 degrees, “See the hand of Christ on top.”


From Kirin came, “OOOOOOooooooooo.” All was quiet for a moment, “Oh that feels so much better.”

“Drink lots of water, flush that kidney. You’ll see blood in your urine, it should decrease every time you pee. If you feel pain or discomfort come and find me. Give yourself time to heal. At least three days before you build any snow men or snow women.” Everyone laughed.

The newbies got to taste real turkey dinner. Turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing, a slice of homemade bread, cranberries, a choice of apple or pumpkin pies with a scoop of Ice Cream. Everyone ate till they were full then they had desert.

Shortly after the healing a tribe of Indians came in. They had been told about St. Johns from a member who was a truck driver for Habitat of Washington. He had brought the carpet both times. The truck driver had also recognized Willa as the daughter of the chief of the tribe. The Native People came in and stopped behind the Chief. The Chief had a baseball cap stating US MARINE CORP VETERAN. “We are looking for Willa.” The Chief told Curtis.

“Yes Sir, I’ll find her for you.” Curtis ran off calling “Willa.”

John went towards the 100 or more that stood just inside of the door. He got within four feet of a man that was John’s equal in size and age. John stopped, put his feet together and saluted, “Where were you stationed at?” John asked. The man returned the salute.

“Red Beach, Motor Transport Maintenance Battalion of the funny little circus.” The man said.

“Force Logistic Command.” John laughed. You were a Sergeant and left before me in September 1969.” John said, “Before Red Beach we were next to the airport.” John saw the glint of recognition, “I was a corporal and ran the barracks you were in at Red Beach.”

“My older brother was to become Chief, he died in Vietnam then three days later I got word that My father had also passed away. So instead of college I became Chief when I got home. The Marines let me out early so I could celebrate my brother’s and dad’s passing. I don’t remember much about that last week in Nam.”

Willa had run a hundred feet. She stopped and very correctly addressed the Chief, “Chief Nation. The Bear on the Mountain.”

“Angel of the Wind.” The Chief called her then turned to John. “Corporal what is your totem?”

“White Eagle most Honorable Chief, The Bear on the Mountain.” John felt this was good.

“White Eagle, of course, you would be the one to see this coming and prepare. Well done.” The Chief smiled.

John looked at Willa and when she looked at him, he nodded.

“The Bear on the Mountain, Most Honorable Chief of the Nisqually Tribe, we would be most pleased if you joined with us for dinner. We are celebrating the American Holiday of Thanksgiving and would welcome the coming together of our two Nations.” Willa smiled, “We would represent the Pilgrims of 1621 and you and our people would represent all the Native People of North America.”

“Angel of the Wind and White Eagle, we come in peace and humbly accept your invite.”

Tina and her camera man were filming the event. They got it all. It went nationally. The part about John and the Indian Chief having served together in Vietnam was well received in some places but was strangely deleted in a few others.

The family of five that had followed the tribe in stayed towards the back. After eating what felt like the best meal of his life the husband and father broke down and cried.

Gloria recognized the family and sought out Tony and Willa.

Nancy came up to John and Willa, “Bill says to see if the Recreation Room upstairs would work for them. The temperature upstairs has reached 64 degrees. Not bad for not having electricity.” As Nancy commented about the electricity the lights came on. Bill was holding an afternoon service with almost four hundred of the survivors in the Parrish hall.

Tina was standing with her microphone in her hand in front of the cameraman when the lights came on, “Seattle City Light I Love You! Thank you from all the people at St. John’s Shelter in West Seattle at California and Hanford.” Those around Tina cheered and clapped, “The volunteers have fed or are feeding turkey to almost eleven hundred people today. They have estimated serving over twenty-five hundred meals in total for today. Their kitchen is open from 7 in the morning to 11 at night. Anyone can get oatmeal, coffee, juice and a variety of fruit 24 hours a day. Today’s menu includes turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, mixed vegetables, homemade bread, apple pie and ice cream. I am very happy to say; my camera man and I have had a very enjoyable meal and a lovely day talking to the survivors in West Seattle.”

Ten minutes after Tina had recorded this it was on the TV: Live from West Seattle Tina Harris. The broadcast then started showing all the things that had gone on at the shelter. They had several healings along with Mr. Wilcox coming back to life. They had the removal of a kidney stone on Kirin and then an interview with her and her partner Marion.

They had many shots of the work going on about them. They found City Councilman Perry White hanging doors with the help of his family. They filmed what a 10’ X 12’ bedroom look like. They caught the kids coming out of the Star Chamber with buckets of different fruit from God. They filmed carpet going down. They kept showing happy laughing faces then they would show how deep the snow was. Tina and her crew got several awards for their showing “Reality in the face of an emergency. Laughter in the face of death.”

The Chief and the Nisqually Tribe loved the recreation room. The power was on, so the Chief had control of the remote to the cable. He loved his football. Nancy asked for four volunteers. She took them back to the kitchen and filled up two large buckets with a variety of fruit, “When these are empty come back and fill them up again.” She gave this to the two young girls. The two young guys she saddled them with a case of water bottles each and told them the same thing, “Starting at 8:00 the kitchen will be serving lots more turkey, vegetables, homemade bread and leftovers.”

Back Downstairs:

Tony with Willa by his side approached the family that came in with the Indians, “Mom, dad, sisters and brother. I’m glad you are safe. Anything we can do for you?”

“Tony, your father needs to sleep.” Tony’s mom said.

“Let’s share our room with them.” Willa suggested.

“We have almost 1,100 people here and only 600 hundred beds. We have double shifted on almost all the beds. You are welcome to double shift with Willa and me.” Tony said, “You use our room from now to midnight and we will use it from midnight to eight. Queen size bed and two soft cushions on the floor. I’ll see if I can round up another cushion.”

There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.