Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 4: Price, Conner Price

A week later, Ed was back working at Dysnatech. After his attack, they’d assigned his project to Mart. Until another project came along, he was working on software bug fixes.

He’d refrained from visiting Mary, Ian’s widow. The favour was done, and hopefully Ian had moved on by now.

It was mid-afternoon. As he sat in his cubicle, suddenly a ghost appeared near him. This ghost was wearing a business suit, although everything about the ghost was translucent.

Ed looked at him and almost spoke when the ghost raised his finger to his lips. That was different!

He cast his eyes at the other cubicles and nodded. No sense in getting a reputation for talking to himself. Ed stood and walked towards the washrooms. The ghost followed, floating along.

Ed passed the washrooms and ducked into a janitor’s closet and shut the door. It was rather cramped inside, but it’d do for some privacy.

“Hello, Ed,” said the ghost.

“Hello. I suppose Ian told you about me?”

“Yes. The name’s Price, Conner Price.”

“Pleased to meet you, I suppose. You realize I’m at work. You couldn’t catch me this evening, after work?”

“Sorry about that. Time is rather different once you’re dead. I need your help, and I’ve been searching for you for a while. How about I hang around your workplace until this evening and follow you home?” asked Conner.

“Ok, that works. I’ll get back to work then.”

Ed returned to his cubicle and continued working on bug fixes.

Later, Ed shut down his computer and stood.

“Goodnight, Blake,” he said over the cubicle wall to his co-worker.

“Goodnight, Ed,” came the reply.

Ed walked outside the building. Even though there were extra lights and cameras, he felt wary. He wanted to avoid another attack. He’d parked closer to the building, and under a streetlight. As he walked, he kept looking around for attackers.

Once inside his car, Conner materialized in the front passenger seat.

“Hello again, Ed.”

Ed didn’t have an answer, so he started the car and drove back to his apartment. The ghost sat quietly, looking outside as he drove.

Conner followed him into his apartment.


Ed sat down on his sofa. Conner stood nearby.

“So, tell me. How can I be of help?” asked Ed.

“Recently, I died of a heart attack. I was working as a courier of sorts, and I died before I could deliver something. I need your help to fetch the item and give it to my boss.”

“What’s so important to you?”

“The item in question is of vital importance. I can’t rest until it gets into safe hands.”

“An item of vital importance? Whose safe hands?”

“As in national security. I can’t say more. You just have to fetch it, and I can give you a number to arrange the pickup.”

“It’s not something illegal?”

“No. But we need it secured, so it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands. Foreign agents might use it to cause harm to the US. You’ll ensure that doesn’t happen.”

Ed was rather suspicious about this.

“So, where do I pick it up?” he asked.

“First, you need to get the key. I can guide you.”

“Is it in Seattle?”

“Yes. You’ll help me?”

“Why not? If it’ll give you peace,” said Ed.


Conner gave directions as Ed drove. It was to a waterfront location, north of the city.

“I was being chased by unfriendly folks. Before my heart gave out on me, I stashed the key here.”

Ed stopped the car, and they both got out. Conner floated over to a warehouse building. He looked around to ensure no one was watching. It was dark, and Ed couldn’t see anyone else.

“Can you see that ledge about six feet up on the wall? The key is up there.”

Conner pointed exactly to where he meant. It was easy enough for Ed to retrieve the key.

“Got it!” said Ed.

“Good. That key is for a bus station locker. I can show you where.”

They got back in Ed’s car and drove off. Five minutes later, Ed parked about a block from the bus station and they got out.

Ed followed Conner to the lockers. Hardly any people were present to see him.

“Locker 758,” said Conner.

After confirming no one was watching, Ed tried the key in the lock. It opened to reveal a duffel bag.

“Grab the bag and walk back to the car. Ignore anyone else.”

Ed did this. It was heavy.

Soon, he got into his car and drove off.


Back home, Ed opened the duffel bag while the ghost of Conner watched. All he could see inside was money, a gun, and some passports.

“There’s a thumb drive in the side pocket. You can keep the bag and contents. I don’t have any use for it.”

“Thanks!” said Ed.

He soon found the thumb drive.

“It contains some encrypted documents, with formulas for a weapon.”

After putting the bag in the closet, he took his laptop and plugged in the thumb drive.

Now Ed was in his element. He backed up the thumb drive to his cloud account. Then, he bundled a collection of e-books to about the same size, which he encrypted with a custom algorithm. He renamed the new file to match the old one and re-formatted the thumb drive. Finally, he copied the newly encrypted file onto the thumb drive.

The file looked identical, but it was harmless. It would consume a significant effort to decrypt the contents before anyone would realize.

“What was all that?” asked Conner.

“I was just checking the contents of the thumb drive. It’s all good.”

He unplugged the thumb drive and put it in his pocket.

“Now, how do I deliver the thumb drive?” asked Ed.

“We need to call. Just not from this location.”

“It’s late. We should call in the morning. Meet me here at 9am.”

Conner vanished. Ed went to bed. He figured he’d be late to work tomorrow.


The next morning, Ed awoke, dressed, and had coffee.

Conner appeared on schedule, which was unusual, as he’d claimed time was different for ghosts.

“Are you ready to arrange the pickup?” asked Conner.

“I am.”

He put on a red baseball cap, picked up his keys, and left.

Ed drove to a nearby train station. It was one of few places still having a payphone.

Ed parked nearby and walked to the station, stopping at the payphone.

“What number should I call?” asked Ed.

”703-555-6023,” said Conner.

He dialled and entered coins. After a moment, he heard a response.

“Code in please?”

“Tell them Diamond 9 4 0,” said Conner.

Diamond 9 4 0,” said Ed.

There was no answer. Ed wondered what was happening. Perhaps this code had expired, like Conner.

“Please wait...”

Ed waited.

“When they return, tell them you have a pickup from Conner Price.”

“That code is no longer active.”

“I understand that. Please, I have a pickup from Conner Price,” said Ed.

“Conner Price is dead.”

“I know. He gave me something to hand to you.”

Another pause.

“Where are you now?”

“I’m at King Street station. I’m wearing a red cap.”

“We’ll meet you there in ... seven minutes.”

The call ended. Ed replaced the handset and turned to Conner.

“They’re coming in seven minutes,” said Ed.

“Expect them in six, probably in a black van.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close