Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 3: Discovery

Early the next morning at the Seattle police station, Sara Manning was enjoying her first coffee when she received a call from the front desk.

“Lieutenant, there’s someone here to talk to you.”

“I’m coming now,” she said.

Sara left her office and arrived at the front desk. She approached the man waiting there.

“Hello, how can I help you?” she asked.

“My names Tony Codella. I have information about a murder that happened about a year ago.”

People reporting crimes were often a waste of time. They came to complain about a neighbour or someone they didn’t like. This was likely more busy work.

He had her business card in his hand, and Sara wondered where he’d got it. She hadn’t given many cards out since she’d got promoted.

“Please follow me.”

She led him to an interview room, set up the recording device and sat facing him across the table.

“Ok, tell me what you have.”

Tony recounted how he used to work at this company, where he believed one partner killed the other partner. Sara listened as the story unfolded. The more he spoke, the more she realized this was genuine.

“So, you’re saying he buried the body somewhere on the business premises?” she asked.

“Yes. If you check your missing person reports, that’s when he went missing.”

“I’ll prepare an affidavit for you to sign. Then we can apply for a search warrant.”

“No problem. I should have done this sooner. Ian’s widow needs closure,” said Tony.

Soon, Sara had an affidavit form prepared, and Tony signed it.

Both Sara and Tony missed a ghost watching their interaction, because it was invisible to them. The ghost floated through the wall and was gone.


That morning, Ed woke up in his apartment. He showered, dressed, and got a coffee.

Ian hadn’t appeared like he had recently, leaving Ed unsure what to do. The next move wasn’t in his hands.

He opened his laptop and checked through his email. Various stuff from work, but nothing he needed to respond to. Ed was glad he had nothing outstanding, but a little anxious as normally, he lived a life filled with tasks to complete. He expected something bad approaching.

Ed picked up a book he’d wanted to read and cracked it open. No matter how he tried, he couldn’t get beyond chapter one.

Later, Ian materialized.

“Ed, good news! I followed Tony this morning. He went to the police and gave a statement. They’re getting a search warrant now,” said Ian.

“That’s fantastic! So hopefully, they’ll find your body and your watch. Then Sam gets arrested.”

“It may take a while. I’ll follow the police around to check on their progress.”

“Sure. Tell me if there’s anything else you require. Otherwise, I’ve done my part. I’m glad to have done what you needed.”

With that, Ian disappeared. Ed was relieved by the positive turn of events. He sat down on the sofa and picked up his book. Perhaps now he could make some progress.


Later that day, Ian reappeared.

“Ed, you’ve got to help me. I’ve discovered where he hid my car. There’s a lockup garage about a block from our business that Sam used,” said Ian.

“Sure. Give me the address.”

Ian gave him the address and Ed picked up his phone. He called Tony.

“Hello,” said Tony.

“Tony, this is Ed. I have a message from Ian. Please call the detective and tell her Ian’s car is in a lockup garage near the business.”

“Oh, I know the address. I’ll call her now.”

The call ended.

“Ian, he’s calling the detective now.”

“Ok, I’ll go check on the police, and see how they’re doing.”

Ian disappeared again. This frustrated Ed. He just had to wait patiently for updates.

Ed turned on the TV and watched some news programs. Some politician had done something embarrassing again. Opposition were making a big issue out of it. Same old story.


Meanwhile, Sara Manning was directing the search of the business, including using ground-penetrating radar, to search for a body buried in the yard.

Her phone rang.

“Lieutenant Sara Manning,” she said.

“This is Tony Codella. I have another location for you. The business owns a lockup garage nearby. I suspect he hid the victim’s car there. I’ll text you the address.”

“Thank you. We might cover that with the same search warrant, since it’s owned by the business.”

“Excellent.” Tony hung up the call.

Sara waved at a sergeant. “Sergeant, I’ve a new location for you to check. Your objective is to locate this car.”

“Yes, boss. Will do.”

She gave him the address, and he left on his task, gesturing to a couple of uniformed officers on his way. It was funny how the hierarchy worked.

Shortly, the technician operating the ground-penetrating radar called out to Sara. She hurried over to him.

“Did you find something?” she asked.

The monitor showed an image of a skeleton buried below them.

“Yes. It’s here! Right where he promised it would be.”

“Bring the crew in to dig it up.”


Ian reappeared part-way through a cooking program.

“Ed, they found my car! They’ve impounded it for forensics. They’re digging up the yard at work.”

“That sounds like progress to me.”

“It’s the most progress since I died, thanks to you!”

“You found me my wallet and my phone. I promised to help you in return. Any news of Sam?”

“Not yet. They have to gather evidence first.”

“Ok, well, I suggest you continue to watch the police for progress. If you need further help, you know where to find me.”

“There’s one thing you can do for me.”

“Go on,” said Ed.

“Once they recover my body, my wife needs to hire a lawyer. With a death certificate, she inherits my share of the partnership. She has to move fast before Sam gets away with the lion’s share.”

“I can do that. I’ll go there in the morning, unless you think it’s not soon enough?”

“No, that’s fine. I’ll go back to work and check on their progress.”

Ian disappeared again. Ed returned to his program. They were cooking something with mushrooms. He didn’t usually eat mushrooms, but he needed the distraction.


Later that day, her sergeant approached Sara.

“Boss, we’ve dug up the body.”

“Good job. Have the coroner transfer it to the mortuary. I want to prioritize identification and cause of death,” she said.

“Will do, boss.”

“I’m going back to the office to prepare an arrest warrant for Sam Clifton. Finish up here when you’re done. Any news on the car?”

“Exactly where you said. I sent it to forensics for analysis.”

“Good job. See you later.”

Sara left the crime scene and headed to the office. This was easy. Almost too easy. As she drove, she went through a mental checklist of evidence she needed to gather. She still needed to tie her suspect to the murder. Perhaps the coroner would have something.


Ed rose and brewed a pot of coffee in the morning. Ian materialized, all excited.

“They’ve found my body! It’s heading to the coroner.”

“Then I’ll visit your wife to pass on your message. Would you like to join me?”

“I would, Thanks!”

Ed found it amusing to have a happy ghost on his hands.

Soon, Ed arrived outside Mary’s house and pressed the buzzer. Ian stood beside him. He still felt nervous.

The door opened. Mary stood there.

“Back again?” she asked with a grin.

“Yes. I’ve got news and a request of sorts.”

“Do come in.”

Ed stepped through the doorway and proceeded to the dining room.

They sat facing each other around the table. Ian stood to one side.

“Mary, the police found your husband’s body. Most likely, they’ll call you to identify the body soon,” said Ed.

“Wow! Where did they find him?”

Ed glanced at Ian before focusing on Mary.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close