Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 22: First Kiss

The next morning, Ed awoke in an unfamiliar bed. He took a moment to remember he was staying at Ellen’s mansion.

This bedroom was bigger than his entire apartment. The bed was plush and far too luxurious for his taste. He rolled out and took a shower in the adjoining bathroom.

Once dressed, he discovered the next challenge. He forgot the route back to the family room. It took him a few attempts before he arrived.

Ellen sat on the sofa with a coffee and her laptop.

“Good morning, sleepyhead! The coffee’s on the table,” she said.

“Thank you.” Ed poured himself a coffee and took a sip. This coffee was at a next level.

“Noah called, but I told him you were asleep. He said it’s over, and to call him back whenever you like.”

“He probably wants to tell me they captured the Russian agents.”

“Did you want a full breakfast? I usually just have coffee. I can order you anything you like,” said Ellen.

“Actually, I only take a coffee in the morning. That’s one more thing we have in common,” said Ed.

Ellen smiled.

“Did you sleep well?”

“I did. Very comfortable, thank you. Until I get a new doctor’s note that says I’m recovered, I can’t return to work. I’d best stay here with you a while longer.”

“You’re not really sick. You just enjoy my company.”

“I certainly enjoy your company. Most ladies ignore me. I’m just a nerd.”

Ellen held Ed in a hug and looked into his eyes. “Their loss. We jointly manage a charitable trust, with over eight million in assets. You also saved my life.”

“Right.”


Ed and Ellen sat on the sofa with their laptops. Ed worked on software bug fixes while Ellen checked her portfolio.

Ellen looked up from her laptop. “Ed, I enjoy us being together like this.”

“I agree. I could get used to this.”

“You could.”

Soon Conner arrived with another ghost. The other ghost had one chain wrapped around him.

“Hello, Conner. Hey, Ellen. Conner is here,” said Ed.

Ellen was unable to see the ghosts.

“Ed, this is Ezra Wright. He’s the first ghost to find a worthy cause,” said Conner.

Ed turned to Ellen. “We have a ghost with a worthy cause.”

“Oh, good! I’ll take notes. You relay the details.”

The ghost of Ezra Wright explained the potential worthy cause. It involved a single mother who needed some help with her rent. Ed told the details to Ellen, who wrote it down.

“I’ll have it investigated before making a contribution. This may take a few days. I’ll have Ed inform you via Conner when we have news,” said Ellen.

“Ed, please thank Ellen for us,” said Conner.

“Ellen, Conner says thank you.”

“Oh, I have some news for Conner. I heard from my attorney. They are proceeding to get exoneration for Billy. My attorney said he was confident it should be soon. Can you please tell Cooper?”

“Wow, that is good news. Again, my thanks. I’ll tell Cooper.”

Both ghosts floated out through the wall.

“They’re gone. Conner said thank you.”

“They’re welcome. It’s what we do,” she said.

“I hope the charitable act can remove the chain.”

“Even if it doesn’t, charity is always worthwhile.”

“Agreed.”

They went back to working on their respective laptops.

Later, there was a knock at the open doorway.

“Please come in, Jace,” said Ellen.

The burly security agent entered. “Miss, I’ve replaced Ed’s phone with a secure model. I’ve copied the contents of his previous phone, minus a few apps that were less secure.”

“Thank you, Jace. Ed, here is your new phone.”

Jace handed the phone to Ed.

“Thank you,” said Ed.

“I added this app to the home page. It acts like a panic button, and will summon help.”

“That could be helpful. I’ve had some trouble with Russian agents pursuing me.”

“Yes, sir. We also gave your car a tune up, break job, and oil change. The safety of our principal and yourself are important to us.”

Ed wasn’t sure how to respond. At least their intentions were honorable.

“Thank you Jace. We appreciate your thoroughness,” said Ellen.

Jace showed a brief smile.

“If that’s everything for now, miss?” asked Jace.

“Yes. I’ll let you know of our plans later.”

Jace left.


Ed examined his new phone. It was hard to tell it was different. The home screen looked the same, except there was a new panic button app.

He called Noah.

“Noah Johnson.”

“This is Ed Tanner, Diamond 9 4 0. Sorry I missed your earlier call.”

“No problem. You’re safe to come in for a visit.”

“I’ll be there within an hour.”

Ed hung up the phone.

“Ed, you’re going out?” asked Ellen.

“To see Noah at the CIA office. He said I’m safe.”

“Can I have one of my detail drive you in, just to be certain?”

“Of course, dear.”

“You called me dear?”

“Sorry. If it bothers you...”

“No, I liked it.”

“Oh, okay.”

Ellen picked up her phone and made a brief call.

“Ed, there’s a car waiting outside as soon as you’re ready,” she said.

“Thank you, dear.”


The black SUV was outside the main entrance. Ed sat in the rear seat and the vehicle departed.

“I need to go to police headquarters,” said Ed.

“Yes, sir. You’re meeting with Mr. Johnson,” the driver said.

“Yes, that’s correct. Thank you.”

The drive was uneventful. The SUV parked in the underground parkade.

Ed got out. The driver also got out.

“Sir, I’ll walk with you to the building entrance.”

“Oh, okay. They said I’m safe now.”

“We’d like to keep it that way, sir. Miss Ellen said you’re important to her.”

They walked to the office of US Public Affairs. His detail waited outside.

The receptionist escorted Ed through the security checkpoint and to the usual meeting room.

Soon, Noah Johnson arrived.

“Good morning, Ed. Sleep well?”

“Very well, thanks.”

“Good. The intel you gave me was perfect. We apprehended a team of six Russians at their safe house. They literally walked out into our waiting arms.”

“Are you sending them home?” asked Ed.

“That’s up to the CIA. You located a Russian kill squad which allowed us to stop them before they could cause trouble on US soil. Congratulations!”

“Thank you.”

“I don’t suppose you can tell me how you tracked them down so quickly?”

“I can’t say too much, but we saw some Russians watching my apartment. We followed them to their safe house.”

“Excellent counter surveillance! It bagged us some Russians. So you’re safe again.” Noah handed him a piece of paper.

Ed took the paper. It was another doctor’s note. Seems that he now tested negative for the contagious disease. He could return to work soon.

“Ed, thank you for your service to your country. If I hear of any future threats, I’ll let you know. For now, this matter is over.”

Noah escorted Ed to the reception area. He left the CIA office. The driver then escorted him back to the SUV.


On the return journey, Ed’s phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Ed, this is Washta. We’ve another gathering this evening. I hope you can make it.”

“Sure. I’ll bring Ellen with me.”

“Good. I like her. She’s a nice person.”

“See you there tonight.”

Ed ended the call as the SUV pulled up in front of the main entrance.

He exited the SUV and went inside. Ellen wasn’t at the door to greet him.

He walked through to the family room.

“Ed! How did it go?”

“The Russians are all in custody. I have a new doctor’s note. I can stay here longer, if you’re okay with that.”

“Absolutely! I enjoy having you here.”

“Oh, another thing. I got a call from Washta. There’s a gathering to attend tonight, if you’re up for it.”

“Sure, that’ll be fun. I have the paperwork prepared for the scholarship for Abey.”

“Oh cool, we can present it to her parents tonight. That should make us popular.”

“You’re already popular there, with saving members of the tribe and connecting them with spirits.”

“I always did what I considered right.”

“Yes. Your moral compass works well. Oh, I have something to share with you.”

“What?”

“My money folks have invested the funds for the trust. We have the initial eight million earning about six percent annually. Okay so far?”

“Yes, I understand that.”

“The principal yields about half a million annual income. If we spend below that amount, the excess gets re-invested at the end of each quarter.”

“Wow! It sounds like a lot.”

“But if we exceed the interest income, it draws down the principal. We should avoid that. We have an annual budget of half a million to give away.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close