Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 20: Chains

Ed drove to work and pulled up outside Dysnatech. Blake wasn’t outside this morning, so he went in through security and swiped his ID.

Soon, he was at his cubicle, working on software bug fixes again.

About noon, Ed heard a disturbance. He ignored it.

A moment later, his phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Mr. Tanner, there’s a young lady here for you at reception.”

Ed hung up the phone and walked to reception. Lita, the jinni, was waiting with a basket. When she saw him approach, she waved at him.

“Master Ed,” she said. “I’ve brought your lunch.”

Ed waited until he was past security and close to Lita.

“I don’t understand. How did you discover my workplace?” asked Ed.

“Oh, that’s easy for a jinni. Where can I serve you lunch?”

“Is my lunch inside the basket? I’d better take it. They won’t let you inside.”

Ed took the basket from Lita.

“Now, I’ll be home this evening and we can talk then. Do you need a key to enter the apartment?”

“Oh no, master Ed. I’m a jinni. I can get back into your apartment. What time would you like your dinner?”

“Let’s not worry about dinner. I don’t eat that much. I’ll see you later.”

“Very well, master Ed,” she said. Lita vanished in a puff of smoke. She was gone.

Ed checked the security guard, but he was looking elsewhere and missed it.

Ed took the basket and returned through security and swiped his ID.

“Where’s the young lady?” asked the security guard.

“She came to drop off my lunch, then she left.”

Fortunately, the security guard accepted his statement.

Ed carried the basket back to his cubicle.


After enjoying an extravagant lunch, Ed picked up his cell and called Ellen.

“Hello, Ed,” she said.

“Hello, Ellen. I’ve got an issue to address after work. I’d like your help.”

“Of course, Ed. Did you want to meet here?”

“The problem is at my apartment. I’ll fetch you from your place, so I can fill you in on the way,” said Ed.

“Okay, see you after work.”

Ed ended the call and resumed his work.

At quitting time, Ed shut down his computer.

He left work and drove directly to Ellen’s home.

The security guard waved him through the main gate, and he drove up to the front door.

Ellen was waiting for him. So was her security detail in an SUV.

Ed exited the car and opened the front passenger door for Ellen.

“Conner isn’t here?” asked Ellen.

“Not this time. I don’t think he can help with this problem.”

“Tell me about it.”

Ed told Ellen everything about the jinni.

“So, you have a jinni who wants to serve your every whim?”

“Exactly. I didn’t summon her as she believes. I opened her jar, but I’m sure I was under the influence of something manipulative.”

“So, she believes she is bound to you. She calls you master?”

“Yes. It’s kind of awkward.”

“Many would kill for what you’ve discovered. How come you don’t want her?” asked Ellen.

“I remember watching I Dream of Jeannie. Her arrival caused so many problems. Same goes with Aladdin. No matter what you wish for, it usually blows up spectacularly. I can’t afford to risk it. I’m also suspicious of who sent the jinni to me.”

“Don’t worry, we’ll figure something out.”

Ed pulled into his parking spot in the parking garage. They took the elevator to his floor.

“Ready?” asked Ed. Ellen nodded.

He opened the door to his unit.


The inside of his apartment had changed. Since this morning, the furniture was different; the decor resembled some kind of palace.

“What the heck?” said Ed. He checked the door number. It was his unit.

Lita came into the living room. “Oh, master Ed! Welcome home. This place wasn’t befitting someone of your stature, so I’ve upgraded it.”

Ed picked up his reading book. She had re-bound it with finely embossed leather, and the pages were gilt-edged.

Lita stood, looking at Ellen.

“Lita, please meet my good friend Ellen. Ellen, please meet Lita.”

“Hello, honored friend of master Ed. Please come in and sit. I can provide refreshments for you both.” Without waiting for their reply, she left the room.

“This isn’t the apartment I left this morning.” Ed and Ellen sat on the sofa. It was orders of magnitude better than his old sofa.

Before long, Lita returned with a tray laden with refreshments. Ed and Ellen sat while she served them both.

“Excuse me, Lita. Since Ed opened your jar, you’re bonded in service to him?” asked Ellen.

Lita looked at Ed. “That’s correct, miss.”

“Can Ed perhaps release you from service?”

“No, miss. I am to serve my master Ed as long as he lives.”

“So, you’ll serve Ed for his lifetime?”

“Yes. He’s my master.”

“What happens when he dies? Will you be free, then?”

“Well, yes. I suppose I’d be free. But that’s a long time away.”

“And how do jinni define death? Is it when the spirit leaves the body?”

“That’s a reasonable definition.”

Ed realized what Ellen was working towards. He grinned.

“Lita, if I died tonight, you’d be free to leave and live your life however you pleased?” asked Ed.

“Yes, master Ed. Please don’t speak this way. You’re in good health.”

“Can you see spirits?”

“Yes, master Ed.”

Ed turned to Ellen. “It might work. Can you stand guard for me?”

“Sure, Ed.” said Ellen.

Ed leaned his head back into the luxurious sofa and closed his eyes.


Ed had never done this consciously before. He focused on leaving his body. Like turning off the ignition and exiting his car.

After several failed attempts, Ed floated out of his body. He could see Lita and Ellen, as well as his body.

Lita looked directly at Ed’s spectral form. She fell to her knees. “Master Ed!”

Ellen sat there, as she couldn’t see.

“Master Ed, you died?”

“I’ve left my body, which, by your definition, means I’m dead. You’re free. I’m no longer your master,” said Ed. He floated to the corner of the living room.

Ellen turned to Lita. “So, does that satisfy you?”

“Yes, miss Ellen. I’m free.”

“You can live your own life. You don’t need to serve Ed any more.”

“I have one last request. Can you restore my apartment back to the way it was?” asked Ed.

“Of course, former master Ed.”

Lita waved her arms and a huge puff of smoke filled the apartment. Soon, the smoke cleared and his apartment was restored. Less opulent, smaller, and more the way Ed liked it.

“Thank you, Lita.”

“I have much to do. Please excuse me.” Lita vanished in a puff of smoke.

Ellen looked around, unaware of Ed’s presence. “Okay, Ed. You can return now.”

Ed floated back to his body. He assumed the same posture and visualized getting into his car and turning on the ignition. A moment later, he was back. He opened his eyes and looked at Ellen.

“She’s gone?” he asked.

“Yes. You escaped on a technicality, but it should stick.”

Ed smiled and opened his arms to Ellen, who leaned closer and hugged him.

“Thank you for your help. I didn’t know how to handle her.”

“You’re welcome.”

“I’m glad she restored my apartment.”

“Yes. I don’t think the style suited you.”

“Quite. She could have left me the tray of refreshments.”

“Well, if you’ll drive me home, I can have something waiting for us when we get there,” said Ellen.

“Okay.”

Ellen took out her phone and arranged for dinner. Then they left the apartment and returned to Ed’s car.


Ed drove Ellen back to her mansion, followed by her security detail in their SUV.

They drove past the front gate and stopped at the main entrance. Ed exited and helped Ellen out of his car, then they walked inside together.

“I really enjoy your company, Ellen,” said Ed as they walked through to the family room.

“And I enjoy your company too, Ed. You’re a good man. You’ve helped many people.”

“I just do what I can. The demands have increased since I developed the ability to see and hear ghosts. Sometimes it’s hard to keep up.”

“And as I promised, I’m there to help you.”

Ed squeezed her hand. “Yes, you are.”

They reached the family room and discovered a meal already waiting for them.

“My compliments to your kitchen staff. They prepared this on short notice?”

“I think I got lucky there. Let’s sit and enjoy dinner.”

While they ate, Conner arrived.

“Good evening, Ed.”

“Good evening, Conner. Ellen, Conner is here.”

“Good evening, Conner. Sorry I don’t see you,” said Ellen.

Conner turned to look at Ellen. “Sorry for interrupting your dinner. I have a request from another ghost. They can’t leave the cemetery, so you’d have to meet them there.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close