Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 17: Flora

Back at his cubicle, Ed called Ellen.

“Hello, Ed.” She said.

“Ellen, I’m feeling better. I wondered if you’d like to meet this evening?”

“Sure. Shall we meet here, or is there another option you prefer?”

“I have little success going out recently. Too many restaurants have ghosts. I can’t talk and deal with ghosts.”

“I’ll arrange something here then.”

“Alright, I’ll see you this evening.”

The call ended. Ed returned to his work, fixing software bugs.

He worked without distraction until quitting time.


Meanwhile, Sara floated above the location where they’d discovered Abey. She hoped to catch the kidnappers when they returned to check on their prize.

Sara had brought the poltergeist with her and had promised him he could have some fun with the kidnappers later.

“The kidnappers must return soon. They hadn’t left Abey with any food or water,” said Sara.

The poltergeist nodded.

After a few hours, a gray van rolled past. Sara and the poltergeist floated down to look closer. The van drove around the block and returned.

Two men exited the van and approached the building. They noticed the lock was broken or missing or something like that, because they returned to their van.

“That’s them! We should go after them and find out where they’re headed.”

The poltergeist grinned. They had no difficulty keeping up with the van.


Ed left work and drove directly to Ellen’s home.

The security guard waved him through the main gate, and he drove up to the front door.

Ellen was waiting for him when he arrived. Ed guessed that the security guard had called ahead.

“Welcome! Come inside,” she said.

Ed followed her through to the family room. It seemed she only used that room.

“I’ve arranged a buffet of snacks and finger foods. Would you like a coffee?”

“I’d love one, thanks!”

Soon, they sat on the sofa with plates of snacks and coffees.

“How’s Abey doing?” asked Ellen.

“She’s home again with her family. She got off lucky. The police rescued her before her abductors did her any harm.”

“And your ghosts tracked her down? That was impressive. They could repeat it in the future.”

“I expect they’ve already considered that. I owe them a few favors. The tribal police officer thinks it’s worth it.”

“Of course it’s worth it. We could seriously improve the chances of recovery.”

“When it happens again, I’ll tell Conner or Sara. I just feel that circumstances have forced me into this without giving me a choice. It’s filled up all my free time and then some,” said Ed.

“You were chosen, but you faced the challenge. From what I see, you’re a hero.”

“Sometimes it creeps me out. Not the ghosts. There are ugly people among the living.”

“Well, I want to support you. I can’t see or hear ghosts anymore, but I know they exist. I’d like you to consider me on your team,” said Ellen.

“That’s very kind of you. It’ll put you in danger, though.”

“I don’t care. This is worthwhile work. We’re called to a higher purpose. Besides, I have my security detail.”

“I’m amazed you think that way. You’ve already almost died. I don’t know if I could survive losing you.”

“Aww, that’s so sweet!” She held his arm closest to her.

“You know what I mean.”

“I do. Oh, did the police catch the villains that abducted Abey?” asked Ellen.

“I don’t know. Probably not. I’ll ask officer Ouray.”

“Okay. Can we discuss the diamonds now?”

“Sure,” said Ed.

“Well, the diamonds are worth about four million dollars. We don’t know their original owners, so I suggest we sell them and put the money to use.”

“I don’t feel good with keeping them.”

“Well, I thought we could create a charitable trust to use the money. I don’t know what, but there’re plenty of worthy causes we can help.”

“That’s much better.”

“I’ll match the amount from my own funds. I can get my money people to manage the trust. If we only spend the interest, we can help others indefinitely.”

“Wow!”

“So, you’re agreed? I’ll start things tomorrow. Inform me if you have more ideas.”

“I will. Thank you. Those diamonds caused me stress. You’ve turned it into something positive,” said Ed.

Ellen hugged Ed.

“Being on your team means I help carry the load. Any problems too large, you share them with me.”

“Okay. You’re on our team.”

“Awesome!”

“Once they’ve set up the trust, could we create a scholarship for Abey?” asked Ed.

“I don’t see why not. They don’t disburse a scholarship in a single lump sum. Each semester, there’d be a payment.”

“Good.”

Ellen hugged Ed again. He didn’t push her away. She was ecstatic to be on his team.

They stayed like that for a while.

“More coffee?”

“Yes, please.”


The gray van stopped in a trailer park. The two men exited and entered a large trailer.

“This must be their place,” said Sara. She floated around to get the street address. She also memorized the van’s license plate.

“Okay, I’m going to pass on the intel. You’re free to cause whatever mayhem you want. Make sure they don’t leave until the police arrive.”

The poltergeist grinned. Sara took off for police headquarters.


Next morning, Ed awoke feeling refreshed. He’d slept well last night. Spending the evening with Ellen left him with a cheerful disposition. His stress had mostly vanished, for now.

He drove to work and pulled up outside Dysnatech.

“Hey, Ed. You look cheerful!” said Blake, his coworker. Blake stood outside the building, as he often did.

“I’m doing much better, thanks.”

They entered the building together, swiping their ID badges.

Ed got to his cubicle and started his computer. Soon, he was back to software bug fixes.

A while later, Conner appeared.

“Hello, Ed. You’re looking well today,” said Conner.

Ed smiled. He knew not to talk within earshot of his coworkers.

Ed stood and walked to the janitor’s closet. Conner followed.

“Good morning, Conner.”

“Hello, Ed. How’s that girl we helped rescue?” asked Conner.

“She’s doing great. She’s back home with her family. I even got her a dog to keep her company.”

“That’s good news. I just talked to Sara. She knows where the villains who kidnapped Abey are.”

“Do you have the intel?” asked Ed.

“No. Sara’s nearby. She’d like to tell you herself.”

“Okay. Can you ask her to meet me outside the building in a few minutes? I’ll bring my cell, and I can call it in.”

“I’ll tell her now.”

Conner floated out through the wall. Ed went to his cubicle and fetched his cell phone. He exited the building.


Just outside the building, Ed stood to one side of the entrance. Sometimes, employees came out for a cigarette break, but not currently.

Sara descended and floated in front of Ed.

“Hello, Ed. Do you have your cell phone?” she asked.

Ed took his phone from his pocket and dialed officer Ouray.

“Hello?”

“Hello, this is Ed. I have a location for the kidnappers. Do you have a pen?” asked Ed.

“Sure, go ahead,” said Ouray.

Ed gestured to Sara, who gave him the address. Ed then repeated it to officer Ouray.

“I’d better act on this promptly. I’ll call you later.”

Ouray ended the call.

“Okay, Sara. I’m sure they’re going to pay them a visit soon.”

“Thank you. I’ll go back and observe. I left the poltergeist with them,” she said.

Sara ascended and sped away. Ed turned and almost walked into Conner.

“Sorry, Conner. I didn’t know you were here.”

“No problem. She is an asset. I’m glad you worked out things.”

“Sometimes I have to put feelings aside. We saved Abey, and I couldn’t let my issues with Sara get in the way.”

“Right. So, you can work together.”

“Yes. And I have a friend in the police, officer Ouray. He knows I talk with spirits and keeps my name out of things.”

“Another important asset.”

“Exactly. I must return to work,” said Ed.

“And I think I’ll go watch the kidnappers get arrested.”


A few minutes later, Sara returned to the trailer park. She could hear the noise of things breaking inside the trailer.

Sara hovered above the trailer and waited. Within a few minutes, Conner arrived.

“How’s it going?” he asked.

“I left the poltergeist to soften them up a bit. He really enjoys his work.”

“It serves to distract them from the sound of police sirens.”

They could hear the sirens approaching. Soon, squad cars surrounded the trailer.

“I’d best tell him playtime is over,” said Sara.

She descended into the trailer. She soon returned with the poltergeist in tow, who had a big grin on his ghostly face.

Soon, the police had both kidnappers in custody. They had a tow truck take the van away.

“Job done!” said Conner.

“Once police find evidence or the kidnappers confess.”

“Of course, detective.”

The three ghosts left the area, flying toward police headquarters.


At quitting time, Ed left work and drove to the older part of town.

He parked near the Italian restaurant that he had lunch in with Blake recently.

Ed exited his car and entered the restaurant. He sat at a table near the back. Several ghosts were there, and they glared at him.

Ed looked at the nearest ghost.

“I came to talk with the woman in red.”

“You can see us?” asked the ghost.

“Yes. She asked me to return and talk with her.”

“I’ll see if I can find her. Be right back.”

Ed waited. It surprised Ed that the waitress hadn’t approached to take his order.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close