Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 11: Gathering

It was raining outside as Ed drove in to work. He thought about everything weird happening in his life. It wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t got hit on the head.

At work, Ed dived into work on bug fixes. Large software products always had unlimited issues to correct or adjust. Their clients gladly pointed out the issues, but he never heard a thank you for all the fixes he sent their way.

Later, Ed got a text from Ellen. It included her new address and an invitation to dinner that’s evening.

He looked up the address on google maps. It was in a more exclusive part of town. Wow!

Ed continued his work.

“Hey, Ed!” said Blake. His head was peeking over the cubicle wall. “Care to go out for lunch?”

“Sure. What do you suggest?”

“How about Japanese? There’s a good one nearby.”

“Okay.”


At lunchtime, Ed and Blake left for lunch. Blake drove, as he’d decided on the restaurant.

Blake pulled up in front of the Japanese restaurant, which was the same one Ed had recently visited. He didn’t know the restaurant was a front for yakuza, but he recognized it.

“Irasshaimase (いらっしゃいませ),” yelled the staff behind the counter. Ed understood the meaning and nodded his head toward them.

A young Japanese woman greeted them. It was Aki. She looked at him wide eyed, not expecting his return.

“Table for two, please,” said Blake.

She shook her head and looked at him. “Yes, Sir. Please follow me.”

She took them to a table near the window. Ed spotted the side door he’d seen before.

A waitress came to take their order. Blake ordered a couple of sushi rolls.

Ed gave his order, and it came out in Japanese. Both the waitress and Blake stared at Ed.

The waitress left to handle their order.

“What?” asked Ed.

“You speak Japanese?”

“No, of course I don’t. Why?”

“You just did. You ordered in Japanese.”

“No. I didn’t. I only know English.”

Blake stared at him.

“You could’ve fooled me. It sure sounded Japanese.”

Their food arrived promptly. Ed didn’t recognize what he ordered, but it tasted good. Blake ate his rolls, looking at Ed as he did. There was something different.

Once they finished, Ed went up front to pay the bill. Aki was there, but she refused payment (in Japanese),

Ed shrugged. He turned to Blake.

“Let’s go. I have bugs to fix.”

Back outside, they got into Blake’s car.

“You didn’t pay the bill,” said Blake. It wasn’t a question.

“She said it was on the house. Don’t ask me to explain it as I can’t.”

Blake shrugged. They drove back to work.


Ellen was on her phone, booking a housekeeper and maid service.

“I need them to start today if possible,” she said.

“Understood.”

“Can you recommend a caterer service? I have a guest for dinner this evening.”

“I can arrange something. What food and how many will dine?”

“I should have asked him what food he liked. I don’t know.”

“Perhaps I can suggest Italian food. Pasta and pizza work with most guests.”

“Yes, I like that. Do you have that tiramisu?”

“Certainly. I’ll include tiramisu. And how many will dine?”

“Two people, thank you.”

Soon, she’d ended her call.

“So, you’re moving in today?” asked Hope.

“Yes. I’ve enjoyed your hospitality for long enough. You can join me too if you like. You can have a suite. It’s a large place.”

“Oh no, I like my townhome.”

“Okay. Well, I have to arrange movers to empty my apartment.”

Ellen picked up her phone.

Hope wondered what she’d gotten herself into. She hadn’t returned to the clinic since Ellen had escaped.


At the end of the workday, Ed closed his computer. Conner hadn’t bothered him all day, and it was nice and peaceful. Ed hoped all the spies and murderers had taken the day off.

He returned to his car and looked at the address for Ellen’s home. He was visiting the posh side of town.

Should he dress formally? He decided not to.

It took him less than an hour to arrive. The property was a large fenced mansion and grounds. A security guard stopped him at the entrance gate.

“Hello, I have an appointment with Ellen Morgan,” said Ed.

“Your name?”

“Ed Tanner.”

The guard opened the gate and waved him through. He drove up the driveway and parked in front of the house. It was huge!

Ed got out of his car and looked for the main entrance. The lights were on, and Ellen stood waiting in the doorway. She looked breathtaking.

Ed was relieved. Seeing her gave him something familiar to hold on to. He approached her.

“Ed, I’m glad you found your way here,” said Ellen.

“This is amazing. Is this the reason they abducted you and put you in a coma?”

“Yes. I had to claim it within a certain time or I’d lose it. Fortunately, I awoke in time.”

“That probably upset someone.”

“I’m sure it did. I have detectives investigating the culprits. Until they’re brought to justice, I’m still not safe. Hence the security team.”

Ed nodded. They could attack again.

“Please come inside,” she said.

They entered a large foyer.

“I don’t have this place fully staffed yet, so I arranged a caterer. I hope you like Italian food.”

“Yes, that’s good for me.”

Ed followed her through various large rooms and to a smaller, more friendly room.

“This is a family room. There are lots of spacious rooms, but I find this more comfortable,” she said.

“It’s a lot to take in. I’d probably do the same.”

Ellen guided him to a sofa, and they sat down together.

“I wanted to thank you for rescuing me from that clinic.”

“You’re welcome. Besides, you passed on a message from Conner, which saved me. We’re even.”

“Without your help, I’d still be in that clinic. I may never have woken up from the coma.”

“I just drove the getaway car. Perhaps you should thank Conner. You and him did most of it.”

“I don’t know if I can see Conner anymore. Can you thank him for me?”

“Sure.”

“So, what happened? What caused you to see ghosts?”

“I got mugged. They hit me on the head. Now I can see ghosts.”

“Oh. That simple?”

“Well, I died briefly. The EMTs brought me back. It could be the near death experience, or maybe my brain got rewired by the injury. I don’t know.”

“And you met Conner, the ghost of a spy?”

“Yes. I helped him with a mission. Because of that, Russian agents abducted me. Fortunately, Conner got a message through with your help.”

Ellen got up and held Ed’s hand in hers.

“I’ve got dinner set up on the table. Let’s eat.”

They moved to the table and enjoyed pasta, salad, and pizza.

“Ellen, when you were in a coma, what can you remember?” asked Ed.

“Most of it. I enjoyed flying over the rooftops.”

“You had a genuine out-of-body experience.”

Ellen nodded and smiled.

“We’ve got tiramisu for dessert,” said Ellen.

“Sounds delightful.”

“If those Russians are pursuing you, you could move in here. I have plenty of room and a security detail,” said Ellen.

Ed looked at her.

“I hope the Russians are done with me. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable in this place. It’s a bit too rich for my taste.”

“A few days ago, I had an apartment like yours. This is huge, but I’d be happy to share it with you. I feel I can trust you.”

“Although I’m not ready to move in here, I can be friends with you. I hope that is enough. I never expected to see you again after you escaped from the clinic.”

“Friends is good. We both need a friend we can trust. I have significant resources, and I can be a friend to you,” she said.

“I like that. Now, about that tiramisu?” asked Ed.

They continued their dinner. Ed missed the sad look on her face when he declined her offer.

Later that evening, Ed went home.


The next day, Conner turned up at Ed’s workplace.

Ed smiled and stood and walked towards the washrooms. He passed the washrooms and ducked into the janitor’s closet and shut the door. The ghost arrived a moment later.

“Hello again,” said Ed.

“Hello, Ed. You look cheerful today.”

“I had dinner with Ellen last night.”

“Good. Is she doing well?”

“Yes. She’s the heir to a fortune. She has people investigating the clinic.”

“The Morgan empire. People have done a lot worse for less. I’m glad it worked out.”

“Me too. I was glad to help someone who wasn’t already dead.”

“Agreed. I have some more intel to share with Noah.”

“It’s not the Russians again?” asked Ed.

“No. It’s Chinese this time. If you pass the intel to Noah, then they can’t learn about you.”

“Okay. Let’s go write it down and I’ll make the call.”

Soon, Ed called Noah Johnson. He left work for his ‘doctor’s appointment’.

At the CIA office, the receptionist recognized Ed and ushered him into the usual meeting room. Conner floated along behind Ed.

A few minutes later, Noah entered the room. Ed shared the intel he got from Conner.

Noah left to check the intel. Ed turned to Conner.

“A crow came to talk to me recently,” he said.

“A crow you say?”

“Yes. Turns out it was a reincarnated person.”

“Perhaps we should discuss it later, when they’re not listening in on our conversation.”

“Oh. Sorry!” Ed said, feeling sheepish.

“You haven’t said too much.”

Later, Noah returned.

“Ed, your intel was spot on. Thank you.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close