Ghost Whisperer - Cover

Ghost Whisperer

Copyright© 2023 by Duncan7

Chapter 1: Mugged

It was an evening like any other. Ed Tanner worked late on a project with impossible deadlines. He built software for a high-tech company, Dysnatech, near Seattle.

The sun had long since set, but he kept on working at his computer.

“I’m tired. I can’t see what’s wrong with this stupid code,” he said aloud.

“Perhaps you should go home, Ed. Tomorrow, everything will become clear.”

Ed stood in his cubicle, and looked over the wall, and saw his co-worker, Blake. Blake was a typical middle-aged programmer. Married, gaining too much weight, slightly bald. He enjoyed going out for lunch, perhaps too much. He got his work done, which often meant working long hours.

“Perhaps I should go home. Can I tempt you with an after-work beverage?”

“Not tonight, thanks. I have to get home to my wife soon, or she’ll wonder where I am.”

“Maybe next time, then,” he said.

Blake nodded as he typed on his computer.

Ed saved his work, locked his computer screen, and packed up his few items. The company was working on several government contracts, and he was required to protect everything. He knew of others who got fired for leaving their computer open to prying eyes.

“Good night, Blake!”

“Good night,” said Blake from the adjacent cubicle.

With his work ID and keys, Ed left.


Ed walked outside the office building where he worked. He looked back at the building. The lights were on where Blake worked. Ed figured Blake’s wife knew where he was by now.

He’d parked his car on the street nearby, as during the day the parking lot was usually full. He rarely arrived early enough in the morning to get a spot.

The street was darker than the parking lot, and he walked on autopilot. Ed only paid casual attention to his surroundings, knowing where he’d parked his vehicle. This evening he’d made a critical mistake.

Suddenly, a figure appeared in front of him, causing him to stop.

“Hello?” said Ed.

The figure said nothing. He just looked at Ed and smiled.

It took Ed a moment to realize he wasn’t smiling at him, but behind him.

Ed begun to turn and look behind him, but too late! Another person struck him on his head from behind him. It was “lights out”, and he crumpled to the sidewalk.


Darkness. Ed was disoriented. His mind was foggy.

Afterward, there was light. A bright light shining in his eyes. Someone had pointed a flashlight at him and held his eyes open.

He tried to tell them to stop, but no words came out.

Finally, the lights went away, leaving him in darkness again.

Ed’s mind felt like a computer rebooting. No worse, it was more like an unwanted Windows update. It takes over your computer and leaves you helpless as you watch a spinning progress indicator. All he could do was wait.

Time passed. He sensed the passing of time, unable to do anything else.

Finally, he opened his eyes just a small amount. Light came in, and it hurt!

“Hey, this one’s coming around!” a voice said, somewhere nearby.

“Uhh,” said Ed.

“Just lie still. We almost lost you,” said the voice.

This made little sense. What had happened?

He lay still while they poked and prodded him. His mind cleared a little.

Eventually, he fell back asleep.


The next morning, Ed awoke. Nurses performed various tasks, then propped up his pillow. He discovered he was in a private room in a hospital.

“How are you feeling today, Mr. Tanner?” asked the doctor who had arrived. He didn’t wait for a response as he consulted a chart on the end of the bed.

Ed sat quietly and waited.

“You’ve got a nasty bump on the head, likely a concussion. Also, we almost lost you at one point. The EMTs had to resuscitate you multiple times.”

“That explains my presence here,” said Ed.

The doctor looked at the chart again.

“It says your co-worker discovered you outside your workplace. He called 911.”

“Oh. I’ll have to thank him when I see him next.”

After checking several things, the doctor left.

The nurses also left, having completed their work for now.


Sara Manning pulled into the hospital parking lot. She parked her Honda Civic, paid for parking, and entered the hospital. Sara worked as a Detective Lieutenant, working for Seattle PD. Her assignment was to interview a mugging victim.

Her heels clacked on the floor as she walked with a purpose. This job required a sergeant, but none were available. Muggings rarely lead to an arrest, as victims were mostly unreliable witnesses. This was another busy work task. After her promotion to Lieutenant, she hadn’t found her niche, with a team that supported her. Until then, she did whatever tasks came her way.

She entered the elevator and pressed the button. She pressed it again until the door closed. This was taking too long.

Sara approached a nurse at the nurses’ station, showed her badge, and got directions to the victim’s room.


Sara entered Ed’s room. She showed him her police credentials.

“Ed Tanner, my name is Detective Lieutenant Sara Manning. I was hoping you can answer a few questions for me?”

Ed looked at her. She was mid-thirties, brunette, and impatient.

“I’ll try, Lieutenant.”

“Your co-worker discovered you face down on the sidewalk. What can you remember of the event?”

“I was walking to my car when someone stepped in front of me. A moment later, another person hit me from behind. That’s all I can tell you.”

“Hmm. Can you describe the person who stepped in front of you?”

“It was too dark to identify them. I remember little.”

“Were they male or female?”

“Male, middle-aged, about my height.”

“Did they say anything?”

“No. I think they were a distraction. It worked, as I didn’t see it coming.”

The Lieutenant thought for a minute.

“We believe they took your phone, your wallet, and your keys. We located your car across town. It’s now in our impound yard.”

“That’s good news, I suppose. If they got my wallet and keys, did they break into my apartment?”

“We sent someone over there to check. You got off lucky there. The building super is changing the lock for you.”

“Good. I’ll see him once I get out.”

“Do you know anyone who wishes you harm? Anyone with a grudge against you?”

“No. I keep to myself. I go to work and go home when I’m tired.”

“There was no CCTV where they assaulted you. So, unless you have anything, we’ve no leads to pursue. I’m sorry.”

She handed him a business card.

“I understand. Thank you for coming to talk with me.”

Soon after, she left.


That evening, Blake arrived. He sat down in a chair beside his bed.

“Hi Ed. Good to see you’re awake.”

“I’m alive because of you. You called 911.”

“I discovered you lying face-down on the sidewalk. I wasn’t sure you were still alive. There was blood everywhere.”

“Well, you saved my life. I won’t forget it.”

“I told them at work. Your job is waiting for you when you return. They’re also putting more lights around the building and CCTV.”

“That’ll help with the next attack. Actually, some folks steal the cameras for their grow ops, I hear.”

“They got Mart to pick up your project. They couldn’t change the deadline. He said your notes were helpful.”

“Oh, good. I hope he’ll finish it in time. That deadline was tight.”

“Well, it’s not your problem anymore,” Blake said with a grin.

Ed wasn’t sure if it was beneficial. Likely, Mart would get all the credit or blame. Ed’s contribution would be forgotten.

A nurse entered his room to do the usual tests, writing the results on his chart. Blake used the opportunity and stood up to leave.

“Ed, I’ll take my leave now. Don’t worry about work. Call me if you need anything.”

“I’ll be released in a few days. I’ll call you when I know more.”

“Sure,” he said. Then Blake left.


A few days later, the doctor cleared Ed to leave the hospital. He called Blake to drive him home. Ed met him outside the front entrance.

“Hello, Ed. How’re you feeling?” said Blake.

“Much better, thanks.”

Ed got in the car. His clothes had dried blood stains from the attack. On his head, he had a white bandage.

Blake handed some cash to Ed.

“Until you get your credit cards sorted out,” he said.

“Thanks!”

“No worries.”

Blake started the car, and they left the hospital.

Soon, they arrived at his apartment complex. Ed said goodbye to Blake, who left.

He turned and walked to the supervisor’s unit. After a brief talk, he got his new key.

Ed opened the door to his apartment after several days away. It had that smell from having the windows closed for days.

He opened the windows, then sat on the sofa.

That’s when a ghost suddenly appeared in front of him.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close