Phantom Child - Cover

Phantom Child

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 9

Morning saw Debbie wrapped in Heath’s arms again. The difference from the day before was he was under the covers with her and she was awake with her head on his perfect chest. She lay there listening to his heart and knew the moment he came awake as his heart sped up. “Good morning. Just a few hours and you’ll be my wife.”

She smiled and kissed his chest just above his heart. The groan that came from his mouth told her he’d enjoyed that peck and she continued to rain little kisses across his chest, neck and lips. He pulled her fully on top of him and captured her lips and explored her mouth like he had the night before on the side of the road. Then he turned the tables on her and rolled, putting her firmly under him as he moved from her mouth to her jaw and neck all the way down to where his shirt covered her and back up again. Then, when she wasn’t sure she could stand another second of his teasing kisses, he rolled off her. “I’ll go make your tea. You do what you need to do, but try not to move around so much as to get sick. Your bags are at the foot of the bed. We have a couple hours before church, so if you want to decide what to put up and what to pack, go for it.”

Her brow wrinkled. “Pack?”

He smiled. “Yeah, I’m taking you into Denver. Harry helped me get us the honeymoon suite at the Monaco for four nights. We’ll be back Thursday and go see your Doctor Friday.”

“Heath, what about your work? Won’t Mr. Brady be upset with you taking a week off work?”

Heath shook his head and kissed her again. “No, thanks to the snow. He shut us down until after Thanksgiving. So I have two weeks to spend every moment with my sexy wife and our wiggly peanut.”

She laughed, blushed and slapped him at the same time. “I told you not to call the baby that.”

He stepped toward the door. “I’m sorry, I forgot. You and Princess Peanut.”

He ducked out of the door just as she growled and hurled a pillow at him. But she couldn’t help the smile that stayed glued to her face. He was more than living up to her expectations of the perfect husband. Not that she’d expected to be getting married at eighteen, but if she had to, then she was glad it was Heath who chose her. She put her hand on her belly. “Your daddy loves us, little one. Even if he hasn’t said it yet. Well, not with his words; but let Mommy tell you, actions speak louder than words. Maybe tonight I’ll tell him I love him as well. What do you think, hmm?”

She nodded and slowly climbed out of bed and went to the bathroom. Then she came back and started going through her purchases. The dress for her wedding was hanging on the back of the closet door, but everything else was in the bags at the foot of the bed. She quickly started sorting through them, putting them in two piles: those she’d take to Denver and those she needed to put away. Just as she was ready to look for room in the dresser and chest of drawers, Heath came back in carrying her tea and a slice of gingerbread that his sister had made last night after talking to Mysti. She sat and drank the tea and nibbled on the bread while Heath moved things around, giving her two drawers in both the dresser and the chest. He found her some empty clothes hangers as well and carried her makeup into the bathroom for her. He was spoiling her, and she knew it, but she wouldn’t complain, at least not yet. Maybe in a few months after the baby was born.

After eating food, taking vitamins, and drinking tea, she took a shower and got ready for church. Heath said he’d called Lex, and they set the wedding for two. Mysti said for her to bring her dress and bags to church with her. It seemed the Gladstone women had decided to kidnap her after worship and get her ready for her wedding day. At least she wouldn’t have to endure the embarrassment of a ‘what-comes-after the wedding’ speech. Even though she hoped the experience was more special than what her last time was, she knew they wouldn’t go into it with a pregnant girl. She had a moment of disappointment at the thought that none of her family would be there to see her get married. Her dad wouldn’t walk her down the aisle. But she was marrying the man who owned her heart and soul. So, she perked right up. Maybe tonight she’d learn something about passion as well. His kisses gave her the impression that she would be very satisfied with her wedding night.

*****

Heath stood at the front of the church, waiting for Debbie to walk down the aisle to meet him at the altar. He dressed in a simple black suit with a cream-colored tie that matched Debbie’s dress. His brother and father stood beside him. He smiled as Leanne and Mysti walked down the aisle before Deborah. Then the music changed and his breath caught in his throat. There on his Uncle Henry’s arm was his wife to be. He’d seen her try the dress on yesterday, and it had taken his breath away. But as he saw her coming toward him, his entire world stopped. She was breathtakingly beautiful. It was like she glowed with beauty and sex appeal. Her eyes locked with his, and he felt himself falling into those chocolate pools. Then she was there and Henry was placing her hand in his. He looked at her and leaned close. “You look beyond beautiful.” He said and kissed her. Lex cleared his throat. “We haven’t gotten to that part yet, Heath.”

The congregation laughed and Heath smiled up at his cousin-in-law. “Well, hurry up and get there, then.”

Everyone laughed again, and Lex began the ceremony. Heath didn’t hear a word of it, or if he did, he couldn’t remember it. He must have said the right words at the right time, because soon Lex was saying the words that ended the ceremony and made Debbie his wife. “I now pronounce you husband and wife. Heath, you may kiss your bride.”

Heath didn’t need to be told twice. He pulled her into his arms, and his lips swooped down to claim hers. He pulled her close and lost himself in the luxury of her kiss. After it looked like he had no intention of coming up for air soon, Lex finally laid a hand on his shoulder. “Save some for later, little cousin.”

Heath let himself be coaxed away from those lips that seemed to just need his on top of them. He felt Lex turn them to face the packed storefront they were using as a church. “I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Heath Gladstone. What God has joined together, let no man separate.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close