Phantom Child - Cover

Phantom Child

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 5

By the time Heath had pulled into the drive at the cottage, Deborah was sound asleep. He shut off the engine and smiled. She was curled up, leaning her head against the door. Her feet tucked beside her in the bucket seat. She snored. Heath hadn’t known that before now. It wasn’t a loud snore, but a cute little sound. Sort of like a kitten’s purr mixed with an electric weed eater on slow speed. He got out of the Trans-Am as quietly as he could and came around to her side of the car.

He carefully opened the door, holding her upright while he slipped his arm under her legs and cradled her upper body against his chest. Then, slipping his other arm behind her, he carefully lifted her out of the car. He smiled as Deborah snuggled up close to him; her face nestled into his chest. She sighed and squirmed even closer. She murmured in her sleep and his smile deepened. “Kissed me, wants me, kisses so good.” Well, that certainly would stroke a guy’s ego.

Heath carried her up to the door and struggled just a bit to get it opened. Then he came in the cottage and could see Leanne and Lucas cuddling on the couch. They looked and saw him, and Leanne stood and came toward him. “Who are you carrying, little brother?”

He whispered to her. “It’s Deborah. That bastard Begley found out she was pregnant and tossed her out of the house in her pajamas. The son-of-a-bitch wouldn’t let her get clothes, shoes or even a jacket. I picked her up four blocks from her house, and she was almost beyond being able to stand, let alone walk.”

Leanne’s face was shocked. “She’s pregnant? I thought you two weren’t seeing each other. How in the world did you get her pregnant?”

“It doesn’t matter now, does it? All that matters is she’s pregnant, and she and the baby are my responsibility. I’m going to take her up to bed. Then I’m going to fix her something to eat. I’ve got groceries in the car. Then I’ll get her a warm bath run and give her some of my old sweats to sleep in and wash her clothes.”

Leanne shook her head. “Go get her in bed and I’ll have Lucas bring in the food, and I’ll fix something she can eat. You are going to be in for it when Dad finds out about this.”

“Dad knows. He’s the one who called me. Begley called him to fuss. I’ll talk with you in a minute.”

Heath went up the hall and into the master bedroom. After putting Deborah on the bed, he went to chat with his sister and her lover. He knew everyone was going to be convinced the baby was his, but he didn’t care. His words to Deborah at the store were honest and heartfelt. He wanted both her and the baby. If that meant he had to claim the child, he would. He was going to take responsibility for the baby and its mom. That included making sure the bastard that knocked her up knew he would have no rights down the road. He’d have to talk to Bernie and see what he’d need to do to claim the kid and keep Nick from ever having any parental rights.

He stepped into the kitchen to see Leanne tossing some cut up fresh fruit in some of the yogurt he’d bought. She put that in a cup, and then she made a couple of slider sized roast beef sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes and some sliced avocado. She’d put one of the protein shakes in the blast chiller, and was getting it chilled quickly.

Then she put everything on a tray and turned to look at Heath. “Now, what is going on, Heath? I know for a fact you can’t be Deborah’s baby’s daddy. You moved in here after Harry’s marriage, and you haven’t seen that girl the whole time you’ve lived here.”

“You don’t know anything, Leanne. You’ve been so caught up in your own romance, don’t even try to tell me you know what I’ve been doing.”

“I know what I know, Heath. Deborah may be pregnant, but you aren’t the father. So spill it. Who is? Do you even know?”

Heath crossed his arms over his chest. His sister was starting to really get on his nerves. “Listen and pay attention, Leanne. As far as you, Dad, Begley or anyone in this town is concerned, Deborah and her baby are my responsibility. That’s all you or anyone needs to know.”

“So, you know the baby isn’t yours, but you’re taking responsibility anyway. Why isn’t the guy who got her pregnant manning up?”

“You aren’t hearing me. My girl, my baby. End of discussion.”

Leanne frowned at him, then shook her head. “If that’s the way you want it.”

“That’s the way it is, Leanne. Sorry to disappoint you.”

She walked over to him and hugged him. When she pulled back, there were tears in her eyes. “You haven’t disappointed me, Heath. I’m proud of you, even if I don’t believe you got her pregnant.”

Heath picked up the tray. “After I get her fed, clean and back in the bed, I need to run over to Mysti’s. She said she had some tea that Deborah is probably going to want in the morning.”

“Oh man, I’m not looking forward to that. I remember how Mom was with you, and Vi with Tyson. Morning sickness doesn’t only happen in the morning.”

“Well, let me go feed her and then I’ll go get her that tea. I need to go to bed soon myself. I am going to have to deal with both Dad and Begley tomorrow. There is no way I’m going to let that psycho prick keep Deborah’s clothes and stuff. He can let me in to get them, or have EJ bring them out to me. But she’s getting her clothes and her guitar.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close