Phantom Child - Cover

Phantom Child

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 4

Deborah watched as Heath went into the store. She sighed. She was so tired. The doctor had told her she’d feel less energetic than usual, and that it would probably get worse as the baby got bigger. She was supposed to keep active, but rest when her body ordered her to. She knew she shouldn’t let Heath take her home with him. By taking her to the cottage where he was living, Heath would make everyone even more convinced that he was the guy who got her pregnant. It wasn’t fair that he was going to be blamed for something he’d never done. Well, at least not with her. He was a Gladstone after all, and the girls talked about what a great lover he was in the locker room. She didn’t know if he had played around or not. Officially until August, the two of them had supposedly been a couple. Granted, it was to keep their parents happy. She just didn’t think Heath was the type of guy to have a “girlfriend” and jump into another girl’s pants.

Her phone rang, and she looked to see it was Nick.

“Hello.”

“Hey Debs, what’s up? Your text said you wanted to talk to me?”

“Yes, we need to talk. Do you remember telling me that no one got pregnant the first time they had sex?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Well, it turns out that’s not true.”

He chuckled. “Oh well, good to know.”

“I don’t think you understand what I’m saying to you, Nick. I’m pregnant.”

There was silence on the other end of the phone, then a sigh. “What’s that got to do with me?”

She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “What’s it got to do with you? It’s your baby.”

“You don’t know that. It could be that guy you told me you’d been seeing, or someone you hooked up with after a gig.”

“I’ve only had sex one time, Nick. With you. This is your baby.”

“You can’t prove that. All you have is your word against mine, Debs. I don’t know what else to tell you.”

“How about you tell me you’ll help take care of it?”

“Sure, get an appointment at a clinic and I’ll pay half. Just tell me when and how much the doctor wants to get rid of it.”

Deborah was shocked. He thought she meant she wanted him to pay for an abortion! “That’s not what I meant, Nick. I’m not getting rid of this baby. I meant you should help me take care of the baby’s needs and be a father.”

He laughed, actually laughed at her. “That’s never going to happen, Debs. I’m not father material. Just go to the clinic and get rid of it. You’re not ready to be a mom, and I sure as hell ain’t gonna be no dad.”

“But it’s your baby.”

“Again, I don’t know that. I mean, you put out for me. How do I know you haven’t put out for every guy in that Podunk town you live in? Don’t try to pin this on me. I mean it, Debs, get rid of it or leave me alone.”

Then the line went dead. She called him back, and it just rang and rang. He’d not stepped up. He’d refused to be held responsible for the baby. Now, what was she going to do? For the second time tonight, she felt abandoned and all alone. Unwanted, alone, and carrying a baby all because she gave in one time. She put her face in her hands and wept.

*****

Heath came out of the grocery with a buggy full of healthy supplements and food stuff. He got the makings for a garden salad and fresh fruit for her. Yogurt and milk, whole wheat bread and deli cut meat for the sandwiches. Then, when he’d gotten the vitamins and folic acid, he’d picked up several cases of protein shakes as well. He stopped short of unloading when he caught sight of Deborah through the windshield. She was sitting with her face in her hands, and her body shook with the strength of her sobs. He pushed the cart to the back hatch but didn’t open it, instead he came around and opened her door and knelt beside her.

“Deborah, what’s wrong? Why are you crying, honey?”

She looked up at him, and his heart broke. Her eyes were all red and swollen, and where before she had looked just tired, now she looked broken. She held up her phone. “Nick called. He said that I should get an abortion. I told him it was his baby, and he said I couldn’t prove that. That he’d pay to get rid of it, but not to help take care of it. I don’t know what to do. No one wants me or my baby.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close