The Princess Game - Cover

The Princess Game

Copyright© 2023 by George H. McVey

Chapter 6

Owen stood between his stepmother, the Queen and his little sister in the Owen stood between his stepmother, the Queen and his little sister in the royal receiving line. Each house was being introduced and the Ladies in Waiting would pass through the line, each giving him an introductory gift. He knew he’d be swimming in jeweled tie tacks and cuff links by the end of the night. Thank goodness there were only five of the houses presenting ladies, if his sister was right, and Duke Harrison had found a suitable lady for Cordova.

He put on his courtly smile and decided to try to make the most of this night. Soon enough it would be over, and he could dream about the one woman who had his heart.

He looked up as his grandmother stepped in front of him. “Keep your mind in the here and now, Owen.”

“Yes, Grandmother.”

“I know you’d rather be in Texas with a certain young woman. Perhaps if you allow yourself, you will find someone just as enticing as your Texas Flower.”

Owen wanted to know how The Queen Mother knew of his attraction to Jordan? Then again, her knowledge shouldn’t have surprised him. His grandmother seemed to always know things she shouldn’t. She moved down the line and spoke a few words to his baby sister, and then took her place at the end. A royal page quickly brought a chair for her to sit in. “Do I look old and feeble to you, young man?”

“No, your Majesty, of course not.”

“Well then, your eyes aren’t any good. You should have them checked. I’m ninety-eight, of course I’m old and feeble. Now help me into this chair and go find me a warm shawl for my lap.”

The young man helped her into the chair and bowed, then as he turned to find her a lap blanket, she slapped his hind end with her fan and cackled. Owen smiled for real. She was as lively as ever and would upset his stepmother before the night was over; he was sure.

Then the herald announced his father, and the King came and took his place in front of them all at the head of the receiving line. They would announce the first of the houses soon, and then this year’s Ladies in Waiting would parade past. Each being introduced to him and giving him a gift he’d not cherish but have to act as if he did. Thankfully, there was a page behind him with a small table he could leave them all on and they would get delivered to his room, where he’d probably never see them again.

The herald blew his horn, and the doors opened. “His Grace Duke Terence of Hollingsworth and the Lady Anna of Dulvica.” Terence entered the room in a dark gray tux with a fox face mask. Lady Anna, Terence’s half-sister, was on his arm, her gown made of brown and white. Her mask was of fox fur and only covered her eyes. They bowed and curtsied to the King, who spoke a few words, and then the Queen. Then they were before Owen. “Your highness,” the timid Anna spoke. “I hope this season finds you well.”

He took her hand and placed a kiss on the back. “It does, Lady Anna. And you? Are you looking forward to the festivities?”

She blushed. Owen kept his amusement to himself. The girl was so bashful that she’d never truly be in the running to be his bride and they both knew it. However, he had a duty to keep an open mind and he would strive to do so. “Yes, Your Highness. I’m sure it will be a very exciting season for everyone, but especially you.”

“Yes, I believe you are correct.”

Terence cleared his throat and pointed to the package in her hand. “Oh yes, of course. I brought you a small token of my esteem, Your Highness. I know that most of the Ladies will give you jewelry, but I thought I might share one of my favorite pastimes with you.” She handed him the package, and he removed the wrapping to find a book about the history of Hollingsworth. “This is a splendid gift, My Lady. Thank you. I look forward to reading it and maybe discussing it with you at a later date.”

She smiled, blushing again. “I would enjoy that as well, Your Highness.” Then she moved on. The trumpet sounded again. “Duke Dameon of Elksbane and Countess Consuela of Elksbane.”

This was the Lady that would give him the most trouble this season if his sister was right. Consuela assumed she would be his pick for a bride and yet he knew she wasn’t suited to be Queen. Her emotions ruled her, and her default setting was anger. She quickly curtsied to the King and Queen and then did a deep sweeping curtsy in front of him, making sure to give him an extended look at her barely contained assets. He bit his tongue to keep from laughing in her face. He took her hand and gave it a quick peck. “Lady Elksbane, are you ready for another season?”

She leaned forward. “I’m ready to get this ruse over with, My Prince.”

There came a gasp from the Queen beside him, who turned to look the young Countess in the eyes. “Lady Elksbane, it does not become a lady to be so forward with the Crown Prince. Especially in the royal court. Please refrain from using so personal a greeting again.”

Consuela’s face turned red and her eyes hardened. Owen was sure she would lose control and offend the Queen. The girl surprised him by curtsying again. “Forgive me, Your Majesty. I forgot myself for a moment.”

“See that it doesn’t happen again, my dear.”

“Yes, Your Majesty. Allow me to give you a token of my devotion, Your Highness.” She held out a small box to Owen. Though she’d used the proper greeting this time, the breathy way she said it was more like an intimate caress than the honorific it should have been. “Thank you, Lady Elksbane.” He opened the box to see a tie clip in the shape of a dagger with a ruby representing a drop of blood on the tip. “How original, Lady Elksbane. Thank you again.”

“You are welcome M ... Your Highness. Shall I save the first dance for you?”

“I’m sorry. I’ve already promised the first dance to the Queen Mother. Maybe another later in the night.”

“As you wish.”

Then she was on her way on down the line.

Another trumpet blast. “Duke Millbanke and Lady Lillian of Millbanke.”

Breaking with convention, she had dressed in a gown that reflected the red and white coats of her favorite breed of dog along with a mask complete with fuzzy floppy ears. Her gift was Prince Charles Spaniel cufflinks in gold. She seemed quite pleased with his comment on how lifelike they were.

The Duke of Wilshire and his niece, Lady Pamolina, followed them. Wilshire was primarily a fishing duchy and a sea otter was their crest animal. The mask Pamolina was wearing was very lifelike in white gold. She presented him with a set of black pearl cufflinks, harvested from the coast of Pamolina, before moving on.

Then came the surprise of the night. The trumpet sounded, and the crier announced Duke Harrison Cordova, Baron Stephano Cordova, and Lady Jordan of Cordova. Owen’s head snapped to the doorway and even behind the stunning multi-colored dress and golden half mask, he knew his Jordan was at the court. He almost broke protocol and moved toward her, but luckily for him, his sister reached out and grabbed his arm before he did anything but sway. “Look at her dress, Owen, it’s amazing! And those wings!”

“Yes, I would say the best representation of a house’s crest yet.”

“And she’s lovely. I wonder where they found her.”

Without thought, the answer fell from his lips. “Texas, she’s from Texas.”

“An American, how interesting.”

She bowed before his Father who was surprised. Apparently, he hadn’t heard that the Cordovas had sponsored an entry. “How surprising, Lady Jordan, was it?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“I didn’t know that Cordova had a lady to present this season.”

“I’m newly attached to Cordova, Your Majesty.”

His stepmother sniffed and interjected. “Where were you attached before Cordova, Lady Jordan?”

“I met the Baron and Prince in San Antonio on their last trip to the United States, Your Majesty.”

His father and mother exchanged a look. “Interesting. I look forward to getting to know you, Lady Jordan.”

Jordan smiled at his stepmother. “And I you, Your Majesty. Your country is so lovely.”

“Yes, we quite agree.”

Then she was in front of him. “Good evening, Your Highness.” She curtsied so low she was almost on the floor and as she dipped her wings extended behind her to a full wingspan of six feet. His sister gasped and clapped with glee. “They extend. How wonderful.”

Jordan’s eyes lit up with enjoyment. “What good are wings if they don’t work, Your Highness?” Owen smiled and took her hand and placed a long, lingering kiss on it. Then he straightened, holding on to her hand and caressing the back with his thumb. “Lady Jordan, how lovely to see you again. I thought you weren’t going to be able to attend this season.”

She smiled. “My schedule changed after you and your friends left, Your Majesty. Thankfully, the Duke extended an invitation that I was free to accept.”

“I’m glad.”

“Are you, Your Highness?”

“Yes, My Lady, very pleased.”

His stepmother cleared her throat at his familiar endearment. Jordan pulled her hand from his and turned to Stephano, who handed her a small box wrapped in red and orange paper. “I wanted to bring you a gift, Your Highness. Something that I thought you would find meaningful after your visit to my country.”

He raised an eyebrow and opened the box to find a glass globe sitting in a brass holder. He pulled it out of the box to see a miniature of the Alamo mission inside and engraved on the outside was the saying: “Remember the Alamo.”

“This is perfect, Lady Jordan.”

“It’s a paperweight, Your Highness. I thought when you are working for the good of Phildonia, you may want a reminder of what motivates you for those tough days.”

He held it close to his chest. “Yes, it’s wonderful. Thank you. I’ll cherish it always and allow it to help remind me of what is important.”

“I’m glad.”

“Lady Jordan, you must save the last dance for me, please.” Those around gasped at the honor he was bestowing on this woman, none of them knew.

She smiled. “It would be my honor, Your Highness.” She curtsied again, and the wings folded back against her back. Then she moved on to Jaqueline. His sister quickly started asking about her dress and the wings and before long they were chatting like old friends. Stephano nodded to Owen, and the Prince leaned forward. “Thank you, my friend.”

The Baron bowed. “For you, your Highness, anytime.”

Then they were past, but not without his grandmother stirring the pot first. “Did I hear you joined us from Texas, my dear?”

Jordan smiled at his grandmother. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

“That’s interesting. I thought my grandson had lost his heart there in Texas. However, you stepped into the room and he seemed to perk right up. I wonder why that is?”

Jordan blushed and looked at him, her eyes twinkling behind her mask. “I wouldn’t presume to know, Your Majesty.”

His grandmother laughed out loud. “Oh, I bet you know exactly why. The truth is, you’re just too much of a lady to announce it to the court on your first introduction. I think I’ll be keeping my eye on you, Lady Jordan of Cordova. I believe you’ll make this the most interesting social season we’ve had in a long, long time.”

Jordan smiled at his favorite person in the world. “I will strive not to disappoint you, Your Majesty.”

“Oh, it isn’t me you have to impress; but I think you’ll do just fine.” She patted Jordan on the cheek. “Just fine indeed.”

Thankfully, shortly after that, the line was empty and the first dance was about to play. Owen walked up and took his grandmother by the hand. “I believe I owe you this dance, Grandmother.”

She grinned. “I believe you just didn’t want to dance with that clingy Elksbane girl, my dear grandson. We both know you’d rather be dancing with a certain flaming bird for every dance if you could get away with it.”

“I have no clue what you are talking about, Your Majesty.”

“Don’t you get all high and mighty with me, mister Crown Prince. I wiped your dirty butt, and I know exactly who that girl is even if your Father doesn’t. Even if you don’t yet.”

“I know who she is, Grandmother, but she turned me down.”

His grandmother allowed him to lead her into the opening steps of the waltz. “Yet here she was, right before you. In a costume fit for a Queen.”

“Yes, but did she come for me or for one of the Cordovas?” He looked at where she was dancing with a surprised-looking Duke Harrison. His grandmother followed his line of sight. “Why don’t you ask her? Either way, you are smitten by her and the other Ladies will realize it soon enough. So you’d better decide if she is worth fighting for. Because she’ll be a fight if you want her. Your Father has already set his sight on someone else for you, as has your stepmother. Unless you can convince one or both of them to change their minds, you’ll end up betrothed to someone you don’t want. While the girl you do will waltz right back to her life in Texas.”

“What are you saying, Grandmother?”

“I’m saying not all the players are on the board yet, boy. Your Father has a ringer in his pocket. Someone who almost became the crown princess three years ago. She wants another shot at that crown.”

Owen’s eyes got big. “He wouldn’t!” He thought for a second. “Okay, He would, but I won’t accept her. My marrying her would destroy Leonardo.”

“Do you really think your father cares? The boy gave up the crown and that is all your Father cares about.”

“What will you give up for the crown, Owen? Will you lose your soul for a country? Or will you grab hold of a phoenix and fly out of the ashes that our kingdom is becoming?”

He led her to the side of the dance floor as the song ended and turned to find Jordan when Lady Consuela stepped in front of him. “I believe this is my dance.” He put on his courtly smile and took her by the hand. “I believe you are right.” He maneuvered her across the dance floor, close to where Jordan was now dancing with Stephano. He was going to be in position to catch her for the next dance. “Who is that woman that the Cordovas introduced tonight? I’ve never heard of Lady Jordan in Cordova or anywhere else.”

“From what I understand, she is from the United States. I believe Stephano is familiar with her.”

“Well, someone should tell her that true Noble ladies don’t make a spectacle out of themselves when introduced to court.”

“You thought she made a spectacle of herself? How so?”

Consuela looked shocked. “What else would you call that display with the wings when she curtsied before you?”

“I don’t know, Lady Elksbane. What did you call displaying your intimate goods during yours?”

At least she had the good grace to blush, or so Owen thought until she opened her mouth. Then he knew she was mad at being called out, not embarrassed for her blatant display. “I did no such thing. I gave you a deep curtsy out of respect for you, My Prince.”

“Lady Elksbane, the Queen has already warned you for using such familiar terms without leave. I have declared no intention toward you or anyone yet. Don’t do it again or we will remove you from the court for the rest of the season.”

The song ended just as he said that, and she jerked her hand away and huffed off. He turned and saw that Drew was taking Jordan into his arms. Owen’s eyes narrowed. His friend didn’t dance at these events ever. What was he up to? Before he could cut in, his sister came up and took him in hand. “Dance with me and save me from having to dance with Duke Cordova. While he is a wonderfully technical dancer, he is as much fun as a wet blanket.”

Owen laughed and spun his sister into the waltz that was playing. “Why Princess Jaqueline, are you saying that three dances into your first ball and you are ready to call it quits because of one uninteresting Duke?”

“No, but I saw that look in your eyes. Father and Mother would have your head if you started a brawl with Drew in the middle of the first ball of the season. What is with you, anyway?”

He looked around and led his sister off the floor and out onto a balcony. He looked around well to make sure it was empty. “You said you thought I was morose when I came home from Texas and that I must have met a woman there. I did. Jordan is that woman. I asked her to come back for the season and she turned me down. Now here she is with Cordova.”

“Yeah, okay, so she was smarter than you.”

“What do you mean?”

“What I mean, big brother, is if you brought her, then Father and Mother would know you wanted her. They would find a way to stop her before she ever got a chance. The others vying for your attention would do the same. She would have faced even worse targeting than what she is going to face, anyway.”

“I guess. Drew was particularly mean to her in America, and I’m worried he will be again.”

“I doubt it. He’s worried about you and her both.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close