The Forest Runners - Cover

The Forest Runners

Copyright© 2023 by Joseph A. Altsheler

Chapter 17: Footprints in the Snow

The singular existence of the five in the little hollow in the haunted island endured much longer. The great cold had come early, and it held the earth fast in its grasp. The ice grew thicker on the lake beneath the snow, and winds that would freeze one to the marrow swept over its surface. Fortunately, there was plenty of fallen wood on the island, and they never allowed the fire in Hart’s furnace to go out. They never built it up high, but a bed of coals was always smoldering there, sending out grateful light and heat.

Henry and Ross scouted at intervals, but only as a matter of habit rather than necessary precaution. They knew that the danger of an attack at such a time had decreased to the vanishing point. Now Paul became for a while the central figure of what he called their little colony. His mental resources were in great demand, and for the sake of his comrades he drew willingly upon his stores of learning. In the evening, when they were all sitting before the coals, and could just see one another’s faces in the faint light, Paul would tell what he had read about other times and other lands. He knew the outlines of ancient history, and the victories of Hannibal, Alexander, and Cæsar suffered nothing at his hands, though Alexander, as before, was condemned by Shif’less Sol and Ross. Paul, moreover, had both the dramatic and poetic sense, and he made these far-away heroes, of whom Jim Hart had never heard before, actually live in the little cabin.

“It ‘pears to me,” said Shif’less Sol reflectively, “that that feller Hannibal wuz jest about the finest fighter o’ them all. Ef, ez you say, Paul, he had to hire all kinds o’ strangers an’ barbarians, too, like the red Injuns out thar in the woods, an’ lead sech a mixed lot up ag’in the Romans, who were no slouches in a fracas, an’ whip ‘em over an’ over ag’in, on thar own groun’, too, then I call him about the smartest o’ all them old fellers. But he shore had the luck ag’in’ him, an’ I admire the man who kin stan’ up an’ fight the odds.”

“He has my sympathy,” said Paul.

“What did them old-time fellers eat?” asked Jim Hart.

“Mostly vegetables and grain,” replied Paul.

“No wonder they’re dead,” said Jim Hart solemnly. “I can’t fight an’ I can’t march good on anything but buffalo steak an’ venison an’ things uv that kind. I has to have meat.”

Then Jim rose gravely, and looked at what he called his kitchen.

“‘Nough to last three or four weeks,” he said. “We’ll shorely get fat an’ lazy layin’ roun’ here an’ doin’ nothin’ but eatin’ an’ sleepin’ an’ listenin’ to Paul’s tales.”

“You ought to appreciate your chance, Jim Hart,” said Shif’less Sol. “Ef me an’ Paul wuz to work on you about a hundred years, maybe we might make you into a sort o’ imitation o’ a eddicated man. But I reckon we’d have to work all the time.”

“You an eddicated man!” said Jim Hart indignantly. “Why, readin’ a book is harder work to you than choppin’ wood, an’ they say you won’t chop wood ‘less two big, strong men stand by you an’ make you.”

“Never min’,” said Shif’less Sol complacently; “I know I ain’t had much chances to become eddicated, but I hev the natur’ o’ an eddicated man. My mind jest glows at the idea uv learnin’, an’ I respecks eddication with a deep an’ lastin’ respeck.”

Then both stopped to hear Paul begin the story of Troy for the second time, but when he came to the death of Hector he would have to stop to let Shif’less Sol utter what he called a “few cuss words.” Hector, like Hannibal, had the sympathy of everyone, and Sol spoke for them all when he said: “‘Twa’n’t fair o’ that air goddess Minerver hoppin’ in an’ helpin’ A-Killus when Hector might hev a-slew him in a fair battle. Women ain’t got no business mixin’ in a fight. Whenever they do they allus help the wrong feller. I’ve no doubt that ef me an’ Jim Hart was a-hittin’ an’ a-wrastlin’, an’ hevin’ the terriblest fight you ever heard on, ef any woman wuz to come along she’d pull me off the ornery, long-legged, knock-kneed, ugly Jim Hart, an’ me a handsome man, too.”

“I wonder all the ice on the lake don’t melt when it sees your face, Sol Hyde,” retorted Jim Hart scornfully.

“I don’t think much uv them old Greeks an’ Trojans,” said Tom Ross, who seldom delivered himself at length. “‘Pears to me they had pow’ful cur’us ways uv fightin’. Think uv a feller, when he feels like takin’ a scalp, comin’ out before the hull army an’ beatin’ a big brass shield till it rattled like a tin pan, an’ then, when he got ‘em all to lookin’ an’ listenin’, hollerin’ at the top uv his voice, ‘I’m A-Killus, Defyer uv the Lightnin’, Slayer uv the Trojans, the terriblest fighter the world ever seed! I pick up a ship in my right ban’, an’ throw it, with all the sailors in it, over a hill! When I look at the sun, it goes out, skeered to death! I’ve made more widders an’ orphans than any other ten thousan’ men that ever lived.’ ‘Pears to me them wuz the pow’fullest boasters that ever wuz born. Why, what they said wuz mostly lies. ‘Twas bound to be so, an’ their ways uv fightin’ wuz plumb foolishness. Why, ef A-Killus wuz to come along nowadays, beatin’ his brass shield in the face an’ hollerin’ out his big words, some Shawnee layin’ behind a rock would send a bullet through his head, jest ez easy ez knockin’ over a rabbit, an’ thet would be the end uv Mr. A-Killus, an’ a good thing fur all, too.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close