The Forest Runners - Cover

The Forest Runners

Copyright© 2023 by Joseph A. Altsheler

Chapter 6: The Battle on the Hill

Six men were sitting around a camp fire, and they showed every sign of comfort and cheerfulness. It was a big fire, a glowing fire, a warm fire, and it took all trace of damp from the rain or cold of the autumn morning. They were just having breakfast, and their food was buffalo hump, very tender as it came from beneath a huge bed of red-hot embers.

The men seemed to have no fear of an enemy, perhaps because their fire was in an open space, too far from the forest for the rifle shot of an ambushed foe to reach them. Perhaps, too, they felt security in their numbers and valor, because they were certainly a formidable-looking party. All were stalwart, dressed in wilderness fashion, that is, in tanned deerskin, and every one carried the long, slender-barreled Kentucky rifle, with knife and hatchet at his belt. There was Tom Ross, the guide, of middle years, with a powerful figure and stern, quiet face, and near him lounged a younger man in an attitude of the most luxurious and indolent ease, Shif’less Sol Hyde, who had attained a great reputation for laziness by incessantly claiming it for himself, but who was nevertheless a hunter and scout of extraordinary skill. Jim Hart, a man of singular height and thinness, whom Sol disrespectfully called the “Saplin’”, that is, the sapling, a slim young tree, was doing the cooking. The others were typical frontiersmen, lean, big of build, and strong.

The shiftless one curled himself into an easier position against a log, and regarded with interest a particularly juicy piece of the buffalo hump that lay on the grass some distance from him.

“Say, Saplin’,” he drawled, “I wish you’d bring me that piece o’ hump. I think it would just suit my teeth.”

“Git it yourself,” replied Saplin’ indignantly. “Do you think I’m goin’ to cook for a lazy bag o’ bones like you, an’ then wait on you, too?”

“Well, I think you might,” said Shif’less Sol sorrowfully. “I’m pow’ful tired.”

“If I wuz to wait on you when you wuz tired, I’d wait on you all my life.”

“Which ‘ud he puttin’ yourself to a mighty good use,” said Sol tolerantly. “But if you won’t bring it to me, I reckon I’ll have to go after it.”

He rose, with every appearance of reluctance, and secured the buffalo meat. But he stood with it in his hand and regarded the forest to the east, from which two figures were coming. Ross had already seen them, but he had said nothing. The keen eyes of the shiftless one were not at fault for a moment.

“Paul Cotter an’ Henry Ware,” he said.

“Yes,” said Tom Ross.

“And Paul’s just about done up.”

“Yes,” said Tom Ross.

“Looks like they’ve had a big fight or a big run, one or t’other or both.”

“Yes,” said Tom Ross.

Then all went forward to meet the two boys, so well known to them. Paul was staggering a little, and there was a high color, as of fever, in his face, but Henry showed signs of neither fatigue nor excitement.

“We’re glad to find you,” said Henry briefly.

“We’re glad, awful glad!” began Paul, with more fervor; but he suddenly reeled, and everything grew dim about him. Shif’less Sol caught him.

“Here, Paul,” he said, “stand up. You’re a heavy weight for a tired man to hold.”

His words were rough, but his tone was kindly. Paul, all his pride aroused, made a great effort and stood straight again. Slowly the world about him swam back, into its proper position.

“Who said I wasn’t standing up?” he asked.

“Nobody,” replied Shif’less Sol; “but if I’d been through what I reckon you’ve been through, I’d fall flop on the ground, an’ Jim Hart would have to come an’ feed me or I’d starve to death right before his eyes.”

Paul laughed, and then he felt more like himself. Ross, too, had been regarding him with sympathy, but he glanced inquiringly at Henry.

“You’ve had it hot an’ hard?” he said.

“Yes,” replied the boy laconically; “we’ve run against Shawnees, and about everything that could has happened to us.”

“Then it’s fire, warmth, meat, rest, an’ sleep for Paul right away,” said Ross.

Henry nodded.

Paul was looking at the fire, which seemed to him the most glorious one ever built, and he did not notice anything more until he was lying beside it, stretched on a blanket, and eating the very piece of tender buffalo meat that Shif’less Sol had coveted for himself. Despite his relaxed and half-dreamy condition, his imagination leaped up at once to magnificent heights. All danger and hardship were gone. He was surrounded by a ring of dauntless friends, and the fire glowed splendidly.

Shif’less Sol sat down near him, and regarded him with the deepest sympathy, mingled with a certain amount of envy.

“Paul,” he said, “I wish I wuz in your place for an hour or two. They’ve jest got to wait on you. Nobody ever believes me when I say I’m sick, though I’m took pow’ful bad sometimes, an’ they don’t care whether I’m tired or not. Now, Paul, take all the advantages o’ your position. Don’t you reach your hand for a thing. Make ‘em bring it to you. Ef I can’t get waited on myself, I like to see another fellow waited on. Here, Saplin’, some more o’ that buffalo steak for Paul, who is mighty hungry.”

Saplin’ cast a look of scorn upon Shif’less Sol, but he brought the steak, and Paul ate again, for he was voraciously hungry. But one cannot eat always, and by and by he had enough. Then his restful, dreamy feeling grew. He saw Henry and the men talking, but he either did not hear what they said or he was not interested. Soon the whole world faded out, and he slept soundly. And as he slept the touch of fever left him. Shif’less Sol looked down at him kindly.

“I’m tired, too,” he said, “but I suppose if I wuz to go to sleep some o’ you ‘ud be mean enough to shove me in the side with his foot.”

“I’d try to be the first,” said Jim Hart, “an’ I’d shove pow’ful hard.”

“It ‘ud be jest like you,” said Shif’less Sol, “but I suppose you can’t any more help bein’ mean, Jim, than I can help bein’ tired.”

Jim shrugged his shoulders and returned to his cooking, his tall, lean form bent over like a hoop. Paul slept peacefully on the blanket, but the others talked much and earnestly. Henry, as he ate of the buffalo meat, told them all that had happened to him and Paul in that brief period which yet looked so long. That the band would pick up the trail, daylight now come, and follow on, he did not doubt. There he stopped, and left the conclusion to the others. Shif’less Sol was the first to speak.

“This gang,” he said, “come out to hunt buffalo, an’, accordin’ to what Henry says, a war party, he don’t know how big, is comin’ this way huntin’ him an’ Paul. Well, ef it keeps on huntin’ him an’ Paul, it’s bound to run up agin us, because Paul an’ Henry are now a part o’ our gang. Ez fur me, I’ve done a lot o’ trampin’ after buffalo, an’ I feel too tired to run, I jest do.”

“I ain’t seen no better place for cookin’ than this,” said Jim Hart, undoubling himself, “an’ I like the looks o’ the country round here pow’ful well. I’d hate to leave it before I got ready,”

“‘Tain’t healthy to run afore you’re ready,” said Ike Stebbins, a short, extremely thick man. “It ain’t good for the stomach. Pumps the blood right up to the heart, an’ I ain’t feelin’ very good just now, noway. Can’t afford to take no more risks to my health.”

A slight smile passed over the stern, bronzed face of Tom Ross.

“I expected to hear you talk that way, boys,” he said, “it’s in your blood; but thar’s a better reason still for our not goin’. If this war band stays around here, it’ll be pickin’ off settlers, an’ it’s fur us to stop it. Now, them Shawnees are comin’ a-huntin’ us. I jest wish to say that we don’t mean to be the hunted; we’re to be the hunters ourselves.”

Sharp exclamations of approval broke from all these fierce spirits of the border. But the deepest and most dangerous gleam of all was in the eyes of Henry Ware. All his primeval instincts were alive, and foremost among them was the desire to fight. He was tired of running, of seeking to escape, and his warlike blood was up and leaping. Two more men who had been out ranging the woods for buffalo, or any other worthy game that might happen in their way, came in presently, and the little army, with the addition of the two boys, was now raised to the number of ten. And a real little army it was, fortified with indomitable hearts and all the skill and knowledge of the wilderness.

When Paul awoke beneath the pressure of Henry’s hand on his shoulder, the sun was much higher, and the forest swam in limpid light. He noticed at once that the fire was out, trampled under strong heels, and that all the men looked as if ready for instant conflict. He rubbed his eyes and sprang to his feet, half in shame that he should have slept while others watched. It was Shif’less Sol who came to his rescue.

“It’s all right, Paul,” he drawled. “We all know you were pow’ful tired, an’ I’d have slept, too, ef them fellows hadn’t been mean enough to keep me from it. You wuz just nacherally overpowered, an’ you had to do it.”

Paul looked around at the little group, and he read the meaning in the eye of every man.

“You are going to fight that war band?” he said.

“It ‘pears to me that it’s a sight less tirin’ than runnin’ away,” replied Shif’less Sol, “though we hate to drag you, Paul, into such a fracas.”

The blood flushed into Paul’s face.

“I’m ready for it!” he exclaimed. “I’m as ready as any of you! Do you think I want to run away?”

“We know, Paul, that you’ve got ez much grit ez anybody in the world,” said Tom Ross kindly; “but Sol maybe didn’t think a boy that’s a big scholar, an’ that kin read an’ understand anything, would he as much interested in a real hair-raisin’ fight as the rest o’ us.”

Paul was mollified. He knew their minds now, and in a way it was an unconscious tribute that these wild borderers paid to him.

“I’m with you to the end of it,” he said. And they, too, were satisfied. Then the entire party moved forward into the deep woods, watching and listening for the slightest sign of the Shawnee advance. Tom Ross naturally took command, but Henry Ware, as always, was first scout. No other eye was so keen as his, nor any other ear. All knew it, and all admitted it willingly. His form expanded again, and fierce joy surged up in his heart. As Ross truly said, the hunted had turned into the hunter.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close