The Forest Runners - Cover

The Forest Runners

Copyright© 2023 by Joseph A. Altsheler

Chapter 5: The Flight

Paul was half reclining against the wall, when he suddenly saw Henry look up. Paul’s eyes followed his comrade’s, and then he heard a soft, faint sound over their heads. He understood at once. Danger had come from a new quarter. The Shawnees were upon the board roof, through which a rifle bullet could easily pass. The menace was serious, but the men up there could not see their targets below, and they themselves were in a precarious position.

Henry once pointed his rifle toward a portion of the roof from which a slight sound came, but for a reason that he did not give he withheld his fire. Then came a dead stillness, to be broken a few moments later by fierce war cries all around the cabin and a crash of rapid shots. It seemed to Paul that an attack in great force was being made from every side, and, thrusting his rifle through the loophole, he fired quickly at what he took to be the flitting form of a foe. The next moment he became aware of a terrible struggle in the cabin itself. He heard a thud, the roar of a rifle shot within the confined space, a fall, and then, in the half darkness, he saw two powerful figures writhing to and fro. One was Henry and the other a mighty Shawnee warrior, naked to the waist, and striving to use a tomahawk that he held in a hand whose wrist was clenched in the iron grasp of his foe. Lying almost at their feet was the body of another warrior, stark and dead.

Paul sprang forward, his second and loaded rifle in his hand.

“No, no, Paul!” cried Henry. “The chimney! Look to the chimney!”

Paul whirled about, and he was just in time. A savage warrior dropped down the great wide chimney that all the log cabins had, and fell lightly on his feet among the dead embers of a month ago. His face was distorted horribly with ferocity, and Paul, all the rage of battle upon him now that battle had come, fired squarely at the red forehead, the rifle muzzle only three feet away. The savage fell back and lay still among the cinders. The next instant the deep, long-drawn sigh of a life departing came from behind, and Paul whirled about again, his heart full of sickening fear.

But it was Henry who stood erect. He had wrenched the warrior’s own tomahawk from him, and had slain him with it. His face was flushed with a victorious glow, but he stood there only a moment. Then he seized his own second and loaded rifle, and ran to the chimney. But nothing more came down it, and there were no more sounds of warriors walking on the roof. The three who had come had been daring men, but they had paid the price. The shots and shouts around continued for a little space, forms dashed heavily against the door, and then, as suddenly as it began, the tumult ceased.

Paul felt a chill of horror creeping through his bones. It was all so ghastly. The dead warriors lay, each upon his back, one among the dead coals, and Paul could hear nothing but his own and Henry’s heavy breathing.

“It was a daring thing to do,” said Henry at last, “to come down the chimney that way; but it has been done before in Kentucky.”

Then they reloaded their rifles, but Paul was like one in a dream. It seemed to him now that he could not endure the long hours in the cabin with those dead faces on the floor staring at him with their dead eyes.

“Henry,” he said, “we can’t keep them here.”

“No,” replied Henry, “we can’t; but we must wait a little.”

Paul sat down on the bench. He felt for a moment faint and sick. The little cabin was full of rifle smoke, and it lay heavy in his nostrils and upon his lungs. He felt as if he were breathing poisoned air. But the smoke gradually drifted away up the chimney, and the thick, clogging feeling departed from his lungs and nostrils. Strength and spirit came back.

“How are we to get rid of them?” he asked, nodding toward the dead warriors.

“Let’s wait an hour at least, and I’ll show you,” replied Henry.

The hour passed, but to Paul it seemed two. Then Henry took the largest of the warriors and dragged him to the wall just beneath the window. The second and third he did the same way.

“Now, Paul,” he said, “you must take down the bar and open the window. Then I’ll pitch them out. The besiegers will be surprised, and they won’t have time to get at us.”

Paul accepted his part of the task eagerly. There might be danger, but better that than having the dead men lying on the floor and staring at him with dead eyes. He took down the bar and quickly held the window open. Henry heaved up the bodies of the warriors and cast them out, one by one, each falling with a dull, heavy sound to the ground below. Then Paul slammed back the window and shot the bar into place. As he did so three or four rifles flashed from the forest, and the bullets pattered upon the heavy oaken shutter.

“Too late,” said Henry, “We took ‘em by surprise, as I thought we should.”

Paul drew a long and deep breath. The cabin had taken on a brighter aspect.

“I’m mighty glad that’s done,” he said.

“If you’ll listen carefully, I think you’ll hear something later,” said Henry.

Henry was right. In about half an hour they heard soft, shuffling noises beside the cabin, just under the window.

“They’re taking away the dead warriors,” said Henry.

“I don’t want to fire on them while they’re doing it,” said Paul.

“Nor I,” said Henry. “We might reach ‘em, but I’m glad they’re doing what they are.”

The slight, sliding noises continued for a little while, and then they heard only the light sweep of the rain. On the roof it became a patter, and here and there a drop made its way between the boards and fell on the floor. It was soothing to Paul after the excitement of those terrible moments, and he felt a queer, pleasant languor. His eyes half closed, but his vague look fell on somber, dark spots on the floor, and the sight was repellent to him. He went to the hearth, heaped up the whole of the embers and ashes, and sprinkled them carefully over the spots, which would have been red in the light, but which were black in the night and gloom of the cabin. Henry watched him do it, but said nothing. He understood Paul, and gave him his sympathy.

Paul sat down again on the floor, and leaned against the wall. The pleasant, languorous feeling came once more, but he was roused suddenly by scattered rifle shots, and sprang up. Henry laughed.

“They’re not attacking,” he said. “It was only a volley, fired from the wood, to show how angry they are. I don’t think we need expect anything more to-night. You might really go to sleep, Paul, if you feel like it.”

“No, I will not!” exclaimed Paul with energy. “I won’t do all the sleeping, and let you do all the watching. Besides, I couldn’t sleep, anyhow; my nerves wouldn’t let me. I looked sleepy just because I was tired, it’s your time.”

“All right,” said Henry. “Now, you watch good, Paul.”

Then Henry lay down upon the floor and closed his eyes. He might not have done so, but he felt sure that nothing more would be attempted that night; and if, by any chance, they should attack again, Paul would be sure to waken him in time. The rain grew harder on the roof, and its steady patter was like the rocking of a cradle to a child. His nerves were of steel, and the mechanism of his body and brain were not upset at all. The half-dropped lids dropped down entirely, and he slept, breathing peacefully.

Paul watched, his brief lethargy gone; but his accustomed eyes could see little now through the loopholes, only the dim forest and the rain, falling slowly but steadily. He and Henry seemed to be alone in the world. Outside all the wilderness was in gloom, but in the little cabin it was dry and warm. The few drops that came through the boards now and then, and fell with a little pat on the floor, were nothing. He and Henry were dry and safe, and it seemed to him that so far, at least, they had all the better of the battle. The glow of triumph came again.

Paul watched until dawn, and saw the sun spring up over the eastern forests. Then he awakened Henry, and the great youth, stretching himself, uttered a long sigh.

“That was fine, Paul!” he said, “fine! Now, what are our friends outside doing?”

“Nothing that I can see. There are only stumps in the clearing, and trees and hushes in the forest. I see no warrior.”

Henry laughed, and his laugh had a most cheerful tone.

“They are not far away,” he said. “It is likely they’ll try to starve us out, or rather conquer us with thirst. They don’t know anything about our barrel of water.”

“Blessed barrel!” ejaculated Paul.

It seemed that Henry was right in his prediction. As long hours passed, the sun rose higher and higher, and it grew very close in the little cabin. Paul thought the warriors must have gone away, disgusted with their losses, but Henry cautioned him against savage patience. Toward noon they ate a little more of their pigeon and dried venison, and Paul looked with some dismay at the small portions that were left.

“Henry,” he exclaimed, “there is enough for supper, and no more.”

“Just so,” said Henry, “and our enemies remain on guard. They’ll wait for us.”

He thought it best to put the case plainly and in all its hideous phases to Paul. While savages sometimes abandoned a siege very soon, they did not show signs of ceasing now. Perhaps they relied on starving out the besieged, and if they only knew the state of affairs within the cabin theirs was a good reliance.

Their brief dinner over, the two boys sat down on the floor, and from the loopholes on either side watched the forest. To Paul the whole air and atmosphere of the cabin had now become intolerably oppressive. At first it had been such a strong, snug place of refuge that he rejoiced, but at last his sensitive spirit was weighed down by the long delay, the gloom, and the silence. The sight of their limited rations brought to him all the future, the vigilant enemy on guard, the last little piece of food gone, then slow starvation, or a rush on the savage bullets and sure death. As usual, his uncommon imagination was depicting everything in vivid colors, far in advance.

But he said nothing, nor did Henry. They had already exhausted all subjects for talk, and they waited, Henry with real, and Paul with assumed patience. Fully two hours passed in silence, but after that time it was naturally Paul who spoke first.

“Henry,” he said in a tone that indicated unbelief in his own words, “don’t you think that they must have got tired and gone away?”

“No, they are surely in the forest about us; but since they won’t go, Paul, you and I must leave to-night.”

“What do you mean?” Paul’s words expressed the greatest surprise.

Henry stood up, and figure, face, and words alike showed the greatest decision.

“Paul,” he said, “our last piece of venison will soon be gone, and the Shawnees, I think, will stay, expecting to starve us out, which they can do; but the night shows all the signs of being very dark, and you and I must slip through their lines some way or other. Are you ready to try it?”

It was like a signal to Paul, those words, “Are you ready to try it?” He was ready to try anything now, as a release from the cabin, and a fine flare of color mounted to his cheeks as he replied:

“I’ll follow you anywhere, Henry.”

Henry said nothing more; Paul’s reply was sufficient; but he resumed his position at the loophole, and attentively watched the heavens. Somber clouds were rolling up from the southwest and the air was growing cooler, but heavy with damp. Already the sun, so bright and pitiless in the morning, was obscured, and mists and vapors hung over the forest. He judged that it would be a dark night, with flurries of mist and rain, just suited to his purpose, and he felt a sensation of relief.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close