Volume I of Legacy: the Ministry of Fire, Part 2 - Cover

Volume I of Legacy: the Ministry of Fire, Part 2

Copyright© 2022 by Uruks

Chapter 23: Rematch

I stood in the white space facing the Dragon, which had somehow turned into a hawk. I didn’t know how I even came to that strange place, or why the Dragon was even bothering to talk to me because he thought I called him by name or something. I didn’t even know if what I was seeing was real or not.

But at the time, I didn’t care. This creature had told me that I had a chance to save my family, and I wasn’t about to squander it.

“Okay. How do I pass this test of yours?” I asked the golden-winged hawk.

“I don’t know if you can pass,” answered the hawk. “Since I’ve already decided that your race must perish for the good of the universe.”

Saria Kaves was having a very unusual day, and that said a lot considering her lifespan.

Nice to know that even at my age, life still has a few surprises in store for me. However, that doesn’t make the surprises any less unnerving on the few occasions that they arrive.

“Konamay issued the ceasefire? Are you serious, Victor?”

Victor was one of the most powerful Elementals in the Ministry; power almost equal to Eramar himself. And yet this stalwart man, who’d seen countless battlefields on countless worlds, was almost struck speechless as his words devolved into gibberish.

“Yes, sir ... I mean, ma’am ... I mean, my lady ... I mean, I ... I can’t believe it myself! One minute it was pandemonium. The next thing I know, all the Water Elementals are laying down their arms and returning to their HQ. It’s a miracle I tell you, my lady. An absolute miracle!”

Saria grinned a little at that remark. A miracle, huh? And here I thought no one believed in those anymore.

“I think this miracle has a name. Speaking of which, where can I find the Demon Slayer?”

Victor pointed to the giant ice fortress behind him. “He’s in the ice stronghold awaiting your arrival with Konamay himself. I’m told that they’re expecting the Water Minister any second now.”

“Are they?” said Saria skeptically. Sorric was a cunning old bloodhound and Saria doubted if the man would find the thought of peace appealing. Still, Eramar had managed to pull off the impossible. Maybe another miracle lay just around the corner. “Well then, let’s not keep our miracle man waiting.”

With Victor in tow, as well as a column of her own personal guards, Saria walked boldly to the ice fortress. Saria had tried for years to get her guards to lighten up on the security, but none of them would hear of it.

They always said that their ancestors had been guarding Ministers for thousands of years and that it was their privilege to lay down their lives for the leader of the Ministry. When this whole business was settled, Saria thought to make it a point to give them all a mandatory vacation on penalty of death, as much for her sake as for theirs.

As Saria approached the wall, she didn’t slow or waver in the slightest, but rather made a show of her presence. Saria knew better than most that when dealing with the types from the Ministry of Water, a show of strength was a necessary protocol for all types of negotiation. As she neared the structure, the ice walls immediately gave way as the Freezer Elementals on the other side of the wall were signaled to allow her entry.

Hundreds of tons of ice shifted from the combined wills of dozens of Elementals. As the gigantic glaciers receded at her presence, it looked like nothing less than a mountain being split in half. An officer awaited her on the other side, a Fourth by the look of his uniform.

“Welcome, Minister Kaves. I am Narrows. We’ve been expecting you.”

“Yes,” said Saria nodding to her guards to settle down a bit since they started looking jumpy. “I understand that you are treating one of my men. May I see him?”

“Of course, Minister. He’s in the barracks with Konamay. We’ve stabilized his condition for now, but he still requires further medical assistance and preferably at a secure hospitalized zone. He has been notified of this; however, the officer refuses any more aid that we can offer. He says that he will not relinquish his drinks until he’s had his fill.”

Victor harrumphed. “That sounds about right. Eramar was always a bit of a drunkard, especially after a big fight. However, I find it surprising that you have allowed him access to the booze.”

“Unfortunately, it was under Lord Konamay’s orders. He was injured as well, but more importantly, his fondness for alcohol is a match for even the Demon Slayer’s.”

A strained smile came to Saria’s lips despite herself. “You don’t say.”

Moments later, Saria was led into the barracks, but judging from the inebriated laughter and music, it felt more like a bar. Tables had been arranged in a circular formation in a large, wooden room with piles of sacks filled with military rations.

And in the middle of the cafeteria sat Eramar and a large man whom Saria could only assume was Konamay. She’d only met him once and not on too friendly terms, so seeing him now with a jolly grin on his face made it difficult to recognize him. The two men had their arms draped around each other with a mug of ale in their free hands.

In between drinks of their bubbling brews, they sang the most flamboyant and obnoxious songs that Saria had ever heard. All in all, she found the spectacle rather amusing and would be sure to keep it in mind when she needed some leverage on the otherwise composed Eramar.

Both men were severely bandaged from head to foot, though they didn’t seem to mind as they guzzled, sang, and laughed like the merriest of drunks. Music played on the speakers which seemed to only invigorate the drunken fools to sing even louder.

I had a big fat mother

She couldn’t have been tougher

She racked my knuckles

Pinched my ears

Spanked my bottom

And flamed my fears

OHHHHHHHH

She thrashed me good and soundly

Said not to speak too loudly

And when I cursed, she gave me soap

And then she told me not to mope

And even when I lost my sight

That woman ne’er gave up the fight

OHHHHHHHHH

Now here I sit, now here I sing

Fit as a fiddle, happy as a king

Cause as I drink, I know full well

I won’t see her again, since I’m bound for hell!

As their song finished, both men burst into the most uproarious laughter.

“You’re an excellent ssssinger,” said Konamay with a drunken slur as he waved a finger at Eramar.

“No, you’re an exssscellent singer,” replied Eramar, just as intoxicated as he pointed back at Konamay.

“You’re right! I am,” said Konamay. Immediately after he spoke, both men burst into another fit of laughter as if a most hilarious joke had been uttered. When their enthusiasm finally died out, Konamay composed himself slightly and said, “You know what I sssshould have done, Eramar, old buddy, old pal?”

“What sssshould you have done?” asked Eramar most earnestly, leaning on the table.

“I should’ve kicked the Water Ministry to the curb and been an actor! I mean, look at my hair! I’m gorgeous!” Konamay flicked back his long, blond hair for effect.

“Me too,” Eramar finally managed to say in between a bout of hiccups burping. He then took another long swig of his drink before saying, “I would’ve made a killing as an actor ... you know, instead of actually killing!” Eramar’s comment earned yet another bout of loud laughter from both men as they slapped each other’s shoulders.

Before the current laughing session could continue, Saria decided to make her presence known. “Excuse me, gentlemen. Are you quite finished?”

Eramar dropped his drink to splatter on the floor and came to attention. “My lady!”

Surprisingly, Konamay dropped his drink as well and addressed her respectfully. “Minister Kaves!”

Both men stood at attention like first-year Grunts.

“At ease, Razor,” Saria said, ignoring the ‘my lady’ comment despite the fact that she found it annoying. It just made her feel too much like some snobby noblewoman when she was the farthest thing from one.

“I don’t think that wise, my lady!” said Eramar in a very loud voice as he stood straight as a flagpole. “As I am finding it most difficult to stand at the moment, and should I relax my muscles in the slightest, I fear that I may crumple onto the floor, and thus disgrace your presence!”

Eramar spoke while holding a straight face without a hint of irony. The fact that he wasn’t joking in the slightest made the scene all the more hilarious for Saria as she stifled a giggle. She heard Victor groan softly in annoyance behind. Turning to Konamay now, Saria Kaves assumed a more serious tone.

“Lord Konamay. You are not under my command. When last we spoke, we were enemies. I find it most peculiar for you to address me so.”

“Forgive me, Minister,” said Konamay in a grave voice. “But it is for that very reason that I must pay my respects to you thusly. My conduct was most unbefitting of an officer. I had forgotten that at one point, the Elemental Ministries acted as one Ministry with one voice and one will.

“Because of my fear and prejudice, I lost sight of the fact that even though we are Elementals, the weapons of Tarrus, we are all still human and should be treated thusly. Your officer, Eramar Razor, has reminded me of that fact, madam - and most honorably so.”

Eramar and Konamay shared a brief look with each other.

Such a fierce friendship so quickly. Mysteries abound.

“I deeply regret my actions at the Ministry of Fire, and humbly request your pardon,” continued Konamay. “As a flawed Elemental, I still have much to learn. And as you know, learning doesn’t come easy for those who have taken the oath of immortality. Because of our age, Wielders and Fourths alike are often prone to arrogance, and in this case, so was I.”

Will wonders never cease! Perhaps Zand was right. Perhaps there is hope if a brick-head like Konamay can still remember how to use reason. However, the battle for peace is far from over. Konamay was a pawn. The real trick will be to convince his master. That really will require a miracle.

“Wise sentiment, Wielder,” said Saria with respect. “One that I can only hope that your own Minister will agree with.”

Konamay fiddled with his fingers uncomfortably. “Minister Sorric has nothing but the best intentions for the people that he governs. However, he is a skeptical man. Life has taught him to be so. He won’t be as easily convinced as I was; and then there are other factors to consider.”

Victor leaned in closer, but not too close, clearly trying not to appear threatening. “What other factors?”

Konamay cleared his throat in chagrin. His newfound respect for Saria obviously did not extend towards Victor. “There are many voices on the council who are dead set on the conquest of the Ministry of Fire, and have been for a long time. They wish to claim your fabled supply of sun gems within the volcano, and thus set up a monopoly of the material with the nobility in order to stave off bankruptcy.”

Saria sighed. “Sun gems. A blessing and a curse for all Elementals. The fact that we Elementals are the few in the Empire who know how to process them properly is one of the only things keeping us relevant despite Chissler’s efforts to make us obsolete.

“Luckily, those with Elemency remain the only ones able to wield psionic weapons cultivated from the sun gems, but that can only protect us for so long. We still need ships and supplies, especially for sustained conflicts like this one, allowing warmongers like Lord Gregory to make a tidy profit.

“Despite the advantage they give us, our reliance on sun gems have only served to divide us further. In the face of these new taxations, I now see we should be pooling our resources willingly, not hoarding sun gems like Dwarves with treasure.”

Konamay jolted in surprise. “You mean ... you’d actually be willing to charter a trade agreement. One hasn’t existed between the Grand Ministries for ages. We’ve tried in the past, but the Senate refused to endorse our actions.”

Saria hesitated briefly, knowing the implications of such a proposal. Such a thing would further the divide between the Elementals and the bureaucracy, paving a way for the Ministries to attaining self-sufficiency. “I would if it means peace and our continual survival under Chissler’s harrowing legislation.”

Konamay scratched his chin ponderously. “I suppose we don’t have many allies left among the nobility to alienate, but still, it will not be easy to convince Sorric. And like I said, he’s not the only one who needs convincing. As you know, the power of a Minister is limited. Once the council has made the decision for war, it is not at all easy to undo said order.”

Saria sighed as she remembered how hard it was to convince her own council to let her attend this meeting in the first place. “I know exactly how you feel. I had to fight a battle of words with my own Wielders just to get their approval to come to this hastily made peace summit.” At that, she gave Victor the stink eye, who only shrugged nonchalantly in response. “In any event, the chances for peace seem remote.”

Konamay brightened slightly. “However, I am not without power on the Water Wielder Council. My voice holds influence over many other voices. Perhaps with my aid, the Minister can be persuaded.”

“I must give you my thanks, then. If not for you, talk of peace wouldn’t even be on the table.”

Eramar cleared his voice slightly. “Ahem.”

“He’s such a child sometimes,” grumbled Victor under his breath behind her.

Saria agreed, but she also knew to give praise where praise was due among her subordinates. “You too, Eramar. Which reminds me. I hear that you still require medical aid.”

Eramar rubbed his arm self-consciously. “A few bumps and bruises, but nothing I can’t-”

“Silence,” said Saria cutting him off. “You were in critical condition! You will report to my guards and be escorted to my ship where you will be transported back to the Ministry and thus receive the necessary treatment for your health.”

Eramar looked absolutely shocked. “But, my lady ... the negotiations! I can’t just-”

“YOU CAN AND YOU WILL! THAT’S AN ORDER FROM YOUR MINISTER!” Saria put just enough of her true presence into her voice so that Eramar got the message. Unfortunately, it also took him off his feet in the process. Luckily, Saria caught him before he hit the ground. “Victor!”

“Yes, my lady,” said the Wielder behind her as if he’d always been at the ready and not moping over her attention directed at Eramar.

“Get a gurney ready and have this fool taken to the hospital wing of the Ministry of Fire before I cripple him myself.” She would’ve ordered that Victor go himself, but she knew he’d insist to stay for the negotiations with the Water Minister, who was bringing a Wielder with him as escort. Powerful Elementals like Wielders and Ministers always needed to balance one another. True, she would’ve preferred to call in another Fire Wielder to balance out Konamay’s presence, but the Grim Reaper was still severely wounded, so he hardly counted.

“I’m perfectly fine,” protested Eramar, squirming weakly while Saria held him in her arms like a babe. “I’m not an invalid!”

“You are now,” asserted Saria. “Now shut up and stop acting like a brat! I swear, that Uruks child has had the worst effect on you.”

As a hovering metal gurney came in with the medical team, Saria unceremoniously tossed Eramar inside like a sack. Then she gently patted his hair and kissed him on the brow tenderly before saying in a quiet voice, “You did good, Razor. Now rest well, my friend.”

As Saria turned to leave, Eramar grabbed her hand and spoke in a hushed tone. “Any word on Ryan and the others?”

Saria had hoped that he wouldn’t ask her. She didn’t want to worry him. In fact, just thinking about it was making her more anxious than she could ever remember being.

“Not as of yet. But after what I’ve just borne witness to, I have hope.”

“Those children our only means of a lasting peace with the Water. Without them, we are lost.”

“Because my faith in you has been justified, I will have faith in them as you do. I know they won’t fail.”

Eramar smiled but his eyelids began to droop. Thanks to the soft cushions inside the gurney, it seemed that he remembered just how tired he felt. “Watch for their coming. Promise me, you will watch for their coming.”

Saria squeezed Eramar’s hand affectionately. “I promise.”

Eramar fell asleep with a peaceful expression on his face. As the medics quickly pushed him away in the floating gurney, Saria turned her attention back to Konamay.

“I heard you sustained serious injury as well, Konamay. You should report to the medical wing at the Ministry of Water.”

Konamay rubbed the bandage on his arm tenderly. “It was serious, but not life-threatening. Not like Eramar. I’ve seen lesser men sustain half of what he endured and whimper in pain for a whole month afterwards. That man is the real deal.”

“Tough bastard, that’s for sure,” agreed Victor almost begrudgingly.

“Yes, he is,” said Saria quietly. A surge of anger came upon her as she remembered the one responsible for nearly killing her subordinate. “I’ll be honest with you, Grim Reaper. I hold you to blame for his condition. If he dies, peace or no peace, I swear that I will hunt you till the end of your days.”

Konamay’s expression went from congenial to grim, but he still nodded in understanding. “I suspected as much. I wouldn’t deny you revenge should you choose to seek it. Hell, I wouldn’t be able to deny you in the first place.”

Saria resumed a more genial tone. “Don’t worry. It won’t come to that. Eramar is far too strong for that. He’s survived too much hell to let it all end like this. I know that for a fact.”

“I figured from his eyes. I must say, I’ve never experienced true terror until this day when I saw that look on his face when he could’ve killed me.”

Saria chuckled pleasantly. “You should see me on a bad day.”

Konamay laughed heartily. Saria had to admit that he wasn’t a bad fellow when not trying to melt anyone with acidic mist. “In any case, Minister. I don’t have the luxury of resting on my laurels. You’ll need my help if we’re to convince Minister Sorric to sue for peace.”

“I find that very doubtful,” interrupted the voice of the Minister of Water before he entered the room.


Éclair fought tooth and nail against Silvia. She wielded her two ice blades, and Silvia used two black daggers. Fortunately, her ice daggers didn’t break against Silvia’s strange black daggers like she feared they might.

She must be using some kind of material designed to block psionic weapons, but still not quite as strong as a real psionic weapon. Otherwise, she would’ve shattered my ice daggers as soon as they made contact. If not for present circumstances, I’d relish the chance to study her strange weaponry.

At the beginning of the knife fight, Éclair gained some momentum with her initial rush; but as the battle dragged on, it soon became a stalemate with neither fighter gaining a foothold over the other. Their skills were completely matched. However, Éclair had one setback. She was steadily running out of stamina while her opponent seemed to have energy to spare.

If this is going to become a war of attrition, then Silvia has me at a disadvantage. I have to end this quickly!

Éclair changed her fighting patterns a bit to throw Silvia off guard, alternating from side strikes to low and high thrusts, but the Goblin’s defenses seemed impenetrable. Silvia jumped back for some distance and threw a dagger. Éclair didn’t understand the purpose behind this. As far as she could tell, Silvia only had two daggers. Why throw one away?

Éclair dodged the dagger easily and rushed Silvia while she was one weapon down. But then, she realized a split second too late her mistake. The dagger that Silvia threw came whizzing back to its point of origin heading right between Éclair’s shoulder blades. Éclair avoided getting stuck as she instinctively ducked down, but as the dagger flew by, it left a very deep cut from her lower back all the way up to her shoulder. Her knowledge as a medic told her that if not properly cared for, she could pass out from loss of blood.

Actually, she was already on the verge of passing out from previous excursions. Rachel had treated her with the emergency med kits on the Mecha-Titan, so Éclair’s physical constitution had been better than at Gregory Industries. However, her psions were still depleted, making her more tired than usual, and with the gapping shoulder wound, Éclair found her condition rapidly deteriorating.

Silvia caught the black knife she’d just thrown in midair with the ease of a circus performer. Éclair’s breathing became ragged. She knew she wouldn’t last much longer. The pain became so great that it drove her to her knees.

Éclair held her wound, applying some Medical Elemency in an attempt to stop the bleeding, but it did little good as blood continually pooled between her fingers. She simply didn’t have enough psions left to completely heal the wound.

If only she’d thought to bring a sun gem with her. For the moment, Silvia had paused her attack and seemed content to just sit and wait. Muscling her way through the pain, Éclair forced herself to her feet with a cry of anguish.

“Just give it up already,” demanded Silvia. “If you keep this up any longer, I’ll be forced to kill you. What would be the point in that?”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close