A Magdalena Christmas - Cover

A Magdalena Christmas

Copyright© 2022 by AA Nemo

Chapter 4

“Essie’s pretty quiet. Any idea what’s going on?”

Bonne Moore considered the young woman on the horse a few yards ahead, then looked over at her son, Tom, riding next to her. It was a gorgeous mild sunny day and the air was clear for miles after being washed by last night’s rains.

From their vantage point amidst the acres and acres of grasslands on their ranch high above California’s north-central valley, she could see the town of Red Bluff in the distance, and across the valley to the Lassen Foothills and Mt. Lassen to the east.

Their picnic lunch destination was a stand of blue oaks just short of the crest of the hill about a mile away.

“She got a job offer from Claudia Raniger this morning.”

Tom thought for a few moments. “That should be a no-brainer considering how much she loves the school, this whole area...” He grinned. “That horse, and of course, you and Dad, not necessarily in that order.”

His mother examined him with an affectionate smile. From his battered Stetson to his equally battered boots, he looked very much at home astride a chestnut gelding named Applejack.

Tall and handsome like his dad, with Jim’s wry sense of humor along with a determination – some would call stubbornness – that makes him a formidable opponent. He’s my youngest and a mother shouldn’t have favorites, but unlike his brothers, the banker and the lawyer, he’s a rancher through and through, and he loves this ranch and the neighboring ranch he and Rashmi bought last year.

I’m so proud of Tom, but I worried about him every day when he was in the Marines, off in those god-awful places, getting hurt.

She suppressed a shudder as she thought about the scars on his body, and those days he was home on the ranch recuperating, before going back again.

Just like his father he never complained, and he always went back. But now that’s all over and as a bonus he brought us Rashmi. Three sons and no daughters, and suddenly exotic-looking Rashmi becomes my daughter-in-law, but in my mind she’s more my daughter. And then there’s Essie – at the time, poor lost Essie – shows up summers and college breaks and steals our hearts too. Now I have two daughters, although I don’t see Essie as much as I’d like, but we talk and text all the time – still not the same.

They stopped to allow their horses to graze and Bonnie turned to her son.

“She’d pretty much decided to take the job, but on her way up to the ranch this morning she got a message from her boss at SpaceX.”

“On Christmas Eve? I thought the Marines had the corner on that market. You know USMC actually stands for, Us Suckers Miss Christmas.”

Bonnie gave him just a hint of a smile. “Sounds about right. Four years and you never made it home for Christmas.”

“Seems to me we at least talked on the phone on a couple of those.” He could see she was not mollified, so he changed the subject.

“Good news or bad from her boss?”

Bonnie smiled. “I guess, good news...”

Tom sat and watched his mother as she formulated her thoughts. He had learned from his father that his mother could not be rushed.

“Her boss has offered Essie a position on his new team. It’s still at Starbase Boca Chica but now they’ll work exclusively on the Starship, which is the Mars rocket program, and more specifically something called the Red Dragon capsules, which apparently will land the first humans on Mars. That’s what she’s really excited about, and maybe in the future get a chance to ride in a capsule she helped design.

“She’ll also get a promotion and go from probationary to full-fledged employee, six months early.”

That’s pretty exciting. As much as Essie loves the idea of space travel, I guess after a year and a half she must have impressed the boss. No surprise there, she’s brilliant and a hard worker.”

He paused. “So, she’s in a quandary, torn between her loyalty to Magdalena and this new opportunity. As to SpaceX, it’s a new job, but other than that does anything change?”

She shook her head. “Maybe lots of changes,”

“Oh?”

“The new position will require a lot more hours. It sounds like it’s one of those intense jobs that keeps you occupied twenty-four seven. Right now, she has that sweet-heart deal with Aero Services Austin that allows her to ride their Tesla-SpaceX air-shuttle from Boca Chica to Hayward. Unfortunately, with the new work schedule, she’d only be able to take advantage of it once in a great while.”

“Damn ... No wonder she’s so quiet. So, what did you advise?”

Bonnie shook her head. “Not this time. I was really tempted...”

He smiled. “That’s what mom’s do. I know from personal experience.”

She gave him an affectionate smile. “True, but again, not this time. This is one of those life decisions that must be made solely by Essie. I’d love to have her nearby all the time and have her settle down and have a family. She’d be a great teacher, but right now she has to choose between maybe going to Mars, on the one hand, and preparing the girls at the school to design rocket ships and travel to Mars, on the other.”

Tom nodded. “Tough choice.”

He paused for a few moments. “Come to think of it, you were remarkably calm when I came home and announced I’d joined the Marines.”

“Fait accompli, come to mind?”

He shrugged. “You have me there, but it was one of those life decisions...”

“Yes, but like most, when making those decisions one should consider the effect on others, including sleepless nights for your mother.”

Tom looked chagrinned. “True, but eighteen-year-old guys are not really noted for good judgment, that’s why the Marines do so well with that cohort.”

Bonnie smiled. “I can’t argue with that. I understand from your grandparents that your father had somewhat the same kind of lame excuse when he joined.” She got a faraway look. “I’m glad I didn’t meet him until after.”

“Like dad, I did learn a few life lessons.”

“Yes, when you were discharged, you were far from that boy who joined up, but I think there must be easier ways to grow up. Sometimes I wish you’d share how you learned some of those lessons.”

He shook his head slightly.

“I’d love to know more about how you met Matt Kipling, other than ‘I was in a fight alongside Matt, and then we had some adventures in the winter mountains of Afghanistan.’”

Tom forced a smile. “That was pretty much all there was to it. You can ask Matt.”

To his surprise, his mother replied, “I have. And you know what? His answer is pretty much the same as yours. Although the fact you were both badly wounded while on your ‘adventures in the winter mountains of Afghanistan’ tells me there’s lots more to that story. The bond you two share is closer than with your brothers.”

Tom reached across and took his mother’s hand. “Maybe someday. Right now, I’m trying very hard to put all that behind me.” He brightened. “Anyway, some good came out of it.”

“Oh?”

“Sure, I met Rashmi at O’Hare while on my way home from the hospital.”

Bonnie nodded with a slight smile. “Well, there is that, and I love her dearly. She was reticent about the details of how she came to be at O’Hare, but I’m happy that she finally laid out that convoluted tale of her kidnapping aided and abetted by the man she thought was her father. Horrifying, but that’s much more than I ever get from you.”

Tom was noncommittal, but nodded very slightly, before changing the subject.

“Any idea which way Essie’s leaning after this latest development?”

Bonnie gave him a look that said she’d caught the fact he’d changed the subject.

“When she arrived, she was positively humming with energy and excitement over the SpaceX opportunity, but then she started thinking about the school and La Banda, and her adopted family here.” Bonnie smiled. “And that horse. She feels guilty enough about leaving her for such long periods even though the girls in the riding program shower her with affection.”

Tom nodded. “I wish I’d been here for the reunion.”

Bonnie’s smile faded as she thought about that day. “That’s the first and last time I’ve seen her cry.”

She paused. “I’m still not sure how Alex Skarlatos tracked Blanca down, but she was in some kind of a small riding school up in Oregon.”

“Why am I not surprised to hear it was Alex? That woman seems to have contacts everywhere, and once she puts her mind to something, look out!”

“You’re right. And, she’s absolutely devoted to the Brandt family. I was amazed when Carson Canady finally got her to the altar. I have to admit, they do seem to suit each other. He’s the laid-back one, which is the perfect counter to her intensity.”

“I’m glad it’s him. He’s a nice guy, but Alex scares the hell out of me!”

“I thought Recon Marines weren’t afraid of anything, especially former Army MP officers,” she teased.

“That’s true, but I make an exception with Alex. Matt told me he’d never cross her, and he’s a SEAL.” He chuckled. “Which is almost as tough as a Recon Marine!”

With great difficulty, Bonnie kept from rolling her eyes. Every time Matt and Tom get together, I hear the same argument, and then Jim chimes in about Army Rangers!

Side by side they urged the horses up the hill. Essie was a good distance away by now.

“I remember that day like it was yesterday, and probably always will. Your dad pulled up hauling a horse trailer as Essie was just beginning a class. I think it was probably no more than a dozen girls. She’d just finished her second year at Oregon, so it was also the second year of the summer riding program she’d put together for the girls at Magdalena. She wasn’t really paying attention to what he was doing as he was off to one side behind her anyway. When he opened the back of the trailer Blanca stood there for a few seconds. Then she spotted Essie and trotted over to her. Essie was concentrating on her class when Blanca nudged her in the back.”

Bonnie’s smile faded. “She turned around to see which horse was being a pest and then Blanca nuzzled her face. Her look of surprise was priceless and your dad just stood by grinning. Then Essie burst into tears and hugged Blanca’s head. I don’t know how long that went on. Eventually your dad and I put our arms around Essie, and the girls in the class came over to try to figure out what was going on.”

“Too bad no one got a video.”

Bonnie shook her head. “That wasn’t a moment to be shared with the world on the internet. It was a private moment that was shared by a few people who knew and cared about Essie.”

Tom nodded his understanding.

Bonnie thought for a few moments as they traveled in silence. “That reunion changed her.”

Tom looked puzzled.

“It’s hard to describe, but your dad saw it too. For the next few days, Essie slept in the barn to be near Blanca and then that horse became part of her class, and most days they weren’t ever far apart. Over the summer, Essie smiled more, and she formed closer bonds with her students. Before, she always kept an emotional distance. Her confidence soared. Sometime later she admitted the return of Blanca helped change her outlook on life. Something taken could be returned and disappointments sometimes are reversed.”

“Trust restored?” He asked.

Bonnie considered his question. “Yes, I think that’s part of it. Her trust in people had been destroyed with the death of her parents. No matter how irrational, she felt they had abandoned her. That was exacerbated by her maternal grandmother.”

“I’ve heard about that woman, and it’s nothing good.”

“Yes. Before Essie’s father died, he reached out to her and pleaded with her to take Essie. The grandmother refused. Apparently, Essie’s mother, who came from a wealthy Tucson family, had defied her parents and refused to marry the man they’d selected. To make it worse she married an Anglo, and a rancher to boot. The whole family cut ties and since Essie’s father was an only child whose parents had died young, Essie grew up without siblings, or the numerous cousins on her mother’s side, and since the ranch was fairly remote, with few friends. So, the bond with her parents was pretty strong.”

Tom nodded. “And then along came Blanca.”

Bonnie nodded. “When Essie was ten her dad brought home a Quarter Horse yearling, and for the next five years, they were inseparable. Blanca wasn’t some show horse, she was a working horse that could chase down cattle with the best. She and Essie were a team.”

Tom smiled as he watched Essie in the distance and then looked down at his mount. “I know how that works.”

Bonnie returned his smile as she patted the neck of her mare. “Equus caballus, partnering with humans for over four-thousand years.”

Tom laughed.

She turned serious again. “When the lady from social services picked her up from the only home she’d ever known, she had a roller bag, a backpack, and a couple of photos with her parents, and one with Blanca, plus one stuffed animal, a horse, which as far as I know, she still treasures.”

“Oh. No wonder she felt so lost and abandoned. Although it sounds as if she was fortunate that her grandmother didn’t accept custody.”

“True enough, although grandmother reared her ugly head the summer before last.”

“Seriously? Whatever could she have wanted?”

“Money, of course.”

“Money?”

“Sure. Somehow, she discovered that Essie was singing with La Banda. At the time Essie had just started with SpaceX too. Grandmother had made some poor financial decisions and had also alienated her children. Basically, she was broke and alone.”

Tom replied with a wry smile, “From your description, couldn’t have happened to a nicer person. I take it Essie told her to take a hike.”

“Actually, no. She didn’t know about her grandmother’s family or financial situation and thought she might be looking for reconciliation of some sort. They arranged to meet in Sacramento at the offices of Cowgirls Incorporated.”

“And when grandmother asked for money?”

“Actually, she demanded money and said it was Essie’s duty to help support her, then she insulted Essie’s mother by calling her an ungrateful child who ran off with that bum, Ray Sinclair.”

“Guess the woman never heard of Dale Carnegie.”

“Huh?” Then she laughed. “Oh, right, How to win Friends and Influence People.”

“So, the meeting didn’t end on a high note, I take it?”

Bonnie shook her head. “Grandmother was escorted from the building, although she didn’t go quietly.”

“Why am I not surprised,” he said dryly.

“She actually brought suit – claimed she’d been injured by the security guards who had to carry her out. Fortunately, Cowgirls has security cameras everywhere. The suit went nowhere.”

Tom shook his head. “I feel sorry for Essie. Hoping to reestablish a family relationship but instead being subjected to a bitter old woman who had rejected her mother, then her. Must have been rough.”

“It was. She was upset and hurt.”

“What about the rest of the family?”

“Interestingly, this past summer La Banda was performing at some venue in Tucson and three of her college-age cousins approached Matt about meeting Essie. After the meeting with grandmother, Essie was rightfully cautious, but the three girls didn’t have an agenda other than they were curious about their cousin. Turns out they got along famously – they went out after the show – and are still in touch.”

“I hadn’t heard about that, but I’m happy for her. She deserves to be happy, especially with all she’s been through.”

“Absolutely, and that brings up another topic.”

“Her happiness?”

Bonnie shook her head and smiled. “Maybe obliquely, at least at this point.”

“Oh?”

“She got another call after she arrived. It was from Doctor Prescott.”

“Press? I mean, how does she even know him?”

“Last night he was working at the clinic at Magdalena and she’d picked up a couple of runaway sisters outside Mama’s Kitchen in Willows. She often stops there to get Mama’s hot chocolate.”

“And there were a couple of runaways hanging out there?”

“Yes. They took the bus from LA, and only had enough money to go as far as Willows. They said they were escaping an abusive situation. The older girl had been savagely beaten, and was developing pneumonia.”

“Damn! And Essie came to their rescue. I’m not surprised. So, she took the girls to the clinic, but not to St. Elizabeth?”

“She had some valid concerns. Not wanting to chance getting the state or police involved and having the girls returned to their abusers, she decided the clinic at Magdalena was a viable option.”

“Are they okay? The girls, I mean?”

“Essie visited them this morning. They’re expected to make a complete recovery.”

“That’s good.” He looked puzzled. “Then why’d he call?”

Bonnie smiled. “He asked her to join him for Christmas dinner with his family.”

“Huh? We are talking about the same methodical chess-playing Doctor Press Prescott, who never does anything without a plan for several moves ahead?”

“The very one.”

“And?”

“She’s decided to go.” She winked. “That’s one decision I did advise her on.”

“Press and Essie?” Tom considered the news for a few seconds. “They would make a great pair, wouldn’t they?”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, they only met last night, but something clicked. I didn’t really have to try very hard to convince her to accept. I too, think they would make a great couple, but that’s just another part of the equation for her.”

He shook his head. “As I said, he’s a chess player. For Press, this might seem the opening move, but since he’s always thinking several moves ahead...” He chuckled. “He might have already picked out the wedding venue and the honeymoon location!”

Bonnie laughed.

They fell silent as they approached a stand of oaks that they’d selected for their lunch spot. Standing under one of the trees, Essie’s back was to them. She had removed the saddle and was vigorously grooming Blanca.

As they halted, Tom smiled. “That’s one contented-looking horse.”

Bonnie nodded as she watched Essie, and then turned to Tom, “Too bad Rashmi couldn’t join us.”

“Yeah, the never-ending responsibilities of a large animal vet. Doc Pritchard thinks he won the lottery by taking Rashmi as a partner. Now he gets to take weekends and holidays and actually go on vacation once in a while.”

Bonnie chuckled. “What was it today?”

“Mare about to foal over at the Johnsons. The mare has had problems in the past.”

“Oh, I hope it goes well. Tough to lose a foal or a mare.”

“Before she headed to the Johnsons, Rashmi told me the mare was healthy and there should be no problems.” Tom smiled. “She said if the Johnsons wanted to pay her to stand around while the mare does all the work it was fine by her!”

Bonnie laughed. “You know Teri Pritchard; Doc Pritchard’s daughter is an OB doctor.”

“I know her. It’s my understanding between her mobile clinic and her position at St. Elizabeth, she’s delivering half the babies in the northern Valley these days.”

Bonnie nodded. “Well, Teri told me that most of the time the only reason the doctor is present at birth is to make sure no one drops the baby!”

Tom grinned. “That sounds like Teri all right!”

Bonnie nodded. “And as far as birthing horses, I’m sure it’s pretty much the same kind of thing. By the way, I hope Doc Pritchard understands he’ll actually have to put in some work next week when you and Rashmi are in London.”

He laughed. “Yes, but not graciously. There was a good deal of grousing about having an ungrateful partner!”

They dismounted and Bonnie turned to her son. “Speaking of Dale Carnegie, I just recalled one of the things from reading his book years ago. ‘One reason birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.’”

Tom smiled and looked at Applejack. “Actually, he seems pretty happy all the time.”

Bonnie chuckled.


Laura Prescott sat at the large wooden table in her sunny ranch house kitchen and looked at her phone. Her face betrayed her emotions, which fluctuated between annoyance and dismay.

“Who died?”

She looked up at her husband, Greg, and fixed him with a look that women have been giving boneheaded males, probably since Lucy’s descendants migrated out of Africa millions of years ago.

And like most of those males, Greg pretended not to notice, especially since Laura had been trying for forty plus years to turn him to stone for asking stupid questions. He leaned back against the kitchen counter and waited for the explanation he knew was eventually forthcoming. He also knew he might be called upon to drop everything to help fix whatever was vexing his wife.

“Your son...”

Since she wasn’t in tears Greg knew nothing bad had happened to Press, but some act or omission by him had set his mother off, hence he became ‘your son.’ He waited.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close