Boots and Saddles
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2022 by UtIdArWa

After loading the wounded into the medical wagons, we were informed that a little thing like a battle wasn’t about to stop the training schedule.

A week later, at the end of our march, as the company came into sight of the Hacienda, we took the time to dust off our uniforms and, using what remained of our water, scrubbed the dirt from our faces. Then when Hans and Judith were sure we were ready, we marched through the front gate side in formation. We are met at the command gate by Captain Beaumont and Master Sergeant Baumgarten.

At the housing gate, a large crowd of silent onlookers stood by. I could see both my mother and father among them.

Hans and Judith saluted Captain Beaumont, and Hans reported. “Sir Trainee class number 5 reporting Sir. All present or accounted for. We have two killed in action and five wounded in hospital.”

The Captain returned the salute. “Very good trainee. Take your command to your bivouac.”

Hans saluted, “Yes, Sir.” then he turned and said, “Trainee class number 5 column left, march.” We went through the troop gate. At the gate, there were two ranks of regular regiment troopers standing at attention. As we passed through the gate, the troopers saluted. The guards normally on guard above the gate were also at attention.

We were shocked when Gibson Macintyre and the other Corporals met us at the bivouac site that we had been calling home for what seemed like an eternity. They directed us to the showers, A first for us. During training, we had bathed in horse troughs. This time we were allowed the use of the regular troop’s showers. After that, we were issued new uniforms. These were not the blue uniforms we had originally been issued. These were the tan uniforms all regimental members wore. We also saw that there was now a stylized ‘R’ on the collar points.

We were surprised that we were now in a regular barracks building and had individual bunks. Everybody was somewhat suspicious of our treatment by the Corporals. Previously they had been demanding and intolerant of failure. Now they were friendly and companionable. The rest of the afternoon was spent cleaning and repairing our equipment. From long and frequent practice, we finished in record time.

When the Corporals judged that we had finished all our tasks, we turned all of it over to the supply clerks. After that, we were allowed to have visitors.

My first visitors were my mother and father. As I expected, my mother didn’t have much to say except, between sobs, to repeat “Mi Bebe.”. My father also had little to say, but I could see the pride in his eyes. They didn’t stay long. After a rib-crushing hug from my mother and an equally firm hug from my father, he gently led my mother out of the assembly room.

As they were leaving, I saw Wilma Hernandez waiting outside. I motioned for her to come in.

I had written to Wilma several times during my training, and her return messages were always welcome. She had even sent a box of cookies. Unfortunately, I only got one as the rest were shared around the rest of the company.

“Jesus,” She started to say, then she choked up and started to cry.

I was concerned, I didn’t want Wilma upset. “Wilma, why the tears?” I said, “I’m ok. The training is over now.”

“It’s not that, Jesus,” She sobbed. “It’s just that it’s been so long since we last talked. I have missed you terribly. And then when we heard about the fight, I was so afraid for you.”

We talked for the next half hour. Nothing earth-shaking, just minor words spoken between friends renewing our friendship.

Finally, we were interrupted when the Corporal came in. “I’m sorry, miss, but visiting times are over.”

Reluctantly Wilma left. But as she was leaving, she looked over her shoulder and blew me a kiss. I was speechless.

The next evening before our graduation, we were told that the Suttlers store was open for us. We were allowed one beer only. As a group, we entered the store. Surprisingly it was empty and not much different from the dry goods store I knew from Wilkins. Inside was Master Sergeant Baumgarten. He complimented us again on completing the basic portion of our training. We could now call ourselves members of the Regiment. This didn’t include being accepted as cavalryman. We still had to prove ourselves there. He told us that this night was our night. In the morning, we needed to be prepared for the graduation parade. With that, He left us to it.

The following day we dressed in our new uniforms and checked each other over. Then we assembled in the street in front of the barracks. Master Sergeant Baumgarten and the Corporals were waiting. It was apparent that they had also dressed in their best uniforms.

The unit was formed, and we marched through the troop gate to the parade ground. We marched across the parade ground, turned, and marched back to the Command gate. Where we halted and turned to the right.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close