Boots and Saddles
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2022 by UtIdArWa

Riding from the Hacienda, Joshua was joined by Sergeant Major Young, the regimental bugler Private Pablo Escobar, Corporal Randy Humbolt the interpreter, and the Owls.

Colonel Anderson had early on decided that a show of force was not in the best interest of the situation. With some reluctance, the various troop commanders agreed to stand down and wait for further developments.

The Owls were the only group that was sent out. They were the irregular troop that had the most experience with the Shoshone and were considered at an equal level in tracking abilities. The Shoshone warriors also held them as equals. Captain Roosevelt Hobson commanded them. They were easily distinguished from regular troopers by their buckskin uniforms. One of the rites of entry to the Owls was making your own uniform.

Hobson had recently risen to Captain from his work developing the Owls into a valuable group for the Regiment. Entry to the Owls was a difficult path to travel, and none were accepted that weren’t already members of the Cavalry. But they were considered a desired posting among the younger members of the Regiment.

As the formation rode out, they did not try to hide or disguise their route. They knew that they were being watched and did not want any misunderstandings about their purpose.

When they arrived at the meeting place, Captain Hobson and his troop held back and set up a day camp.

As Colonel Anderson, Sergeant Major Young, and Corporal Humbolt walked into the meeting place. He was surprised to see that Red Hawk was already there, seated on a blanket. What was even more surprising was that several others were sitting behind him. These were obviously senior members of the tribe. Recognizable from their age and the war bonnets they wore.

Joshua stepped closer and raised his right hand. “Red Hawk, it is a pleasure to see you again, old friend. It has been too long since we talked last.”

Red Hawk looked up at Joshua. “Sit, old friend. We have much to talk about.”

When Joshua was seated, Red Hawk took a bowl of salt and put a pinch in his mouth. Passing the bowl to Joshua, he lit the tobacco pipe that had been in his lap and then passed that over. Joshua took a puff and handed it back. Red Hawk lay the pipe to the side when the tobacco was finished.

“Big Steel, my friend, many words have come to my ears. Words that disturb and worry me. I have been told that long knives from the fort called Boise have been in your lodge. There is word that Big Steel and the pony riders have forgotten our friendship. Is this a true thing?”

“Red Hawk, it is true that there have been visitors to my Hacienda. As with all travelers, including Indians, they were greeted with hospitality. But I promise you our friendship is as strong as it has ever been.”

“Word has also come to the council that these long knives ride looking for Indians to return to the government camps. That they wish to steal our lands and put our women and children into slavery. We have watched these riders. They rush about like the grouse. They have come close to our lands but have not yet crossed into them.”

“Red Hawk, I will not lie to you. The leader of this group has said that he wishes to return renegade Indians to the reservations. But I warned him that you and the Shoshone are not renegades. That you are my friends. I also told him that I would fight beside my friends to protect them.”

Red Hawk was silent, but several voices could be heard from the chiefs behind him. One of them jumped to his feet. “How do we know that this white speaks the truth? So many whites have honey on their tongues and evil in their hearts. We have seen this. We know this.”

Colonel Anderson didn’t say anything. He just sat and stared at the speaker. Another chief rose. “Big Steel has not lied to us. He comes to us in peace and offers advice and counsel without asking for anything more than friendship. The long knives have not invaded our lands. The pale riders also stay away from our lands. I say they have spoken truth to the tribes. I say that they are our friends.”

A third chief rose, “I agree. Big steel and the pony riders are honorable and our friends. But our words avoid the real reason for this meeting. What of the Piutes that ride to attack the pony riders and other whites? Will there be a war? Will this friendship end in blood and death?” He stood defiantly, looking at each of the chiefs.

Red Hawk spoke up. “Brothers, I know that Big Steel is an honest man. I know that his warriors are honorable men. I know that they have followed every demand we put on them without complaint. I know that we have walked the path of peace with him and his people. Together we are strong. If we fall away from that friendship, it could mean the end for both of us. Today we are asked to prove our part of the bargain made here. We must stand with our friends.”

Turning to Colonel Anderson, “Big Steel, we keep the treaty we made with you. We stand with you.”

Red Hawk was interrupted when a warrior hurried forward. It was Waiting Lion. He bent down and whispered in Red Hawk’s ear. Red Hawk’s face remained calm. Then looking at Colonel Anderson, He said, “The Piute war party has attacked the long knives. They have chased them into the dripping spring rocks. The war that I had hoped wouldn’t come, has begun.”

Colonel Anderson thought for a moment. “Wait, Red Hawk, I think we can avoid this war. I suggest that my warriors do not join the battle? That your warriors alone oppose these Piute warriors. Then we can honestly say that the pony riders have not attacked an Indian tribe.”

Red Hawk paused, then turned to the chiefs. A quick and muted conference was held. Finally, Red Hawk turned back to Joshua. “Big Steel, it is agreed. Our warriors will attack these Piute renegades and rescue the long knife invaders. But I warn you, not a drop of Shoshone blood must come from a long knife.”

“I agree to this Red Hawk. I will also ride to dripping spring rocks. I will stand between the long knife’s rifles if necessary.”

Red Hawk stood with difficulty. Colonel Anderson jumped to help him. “My Thanks, Big Steel. Many winters I have and few left before I join my ancestors. After I join them, I wish that the friendship between us remains. For both our sakes.” Turning to the other chiefs, “Brothers, we must send a war party to save the blue coat invaders. We do this to preserve our peace. Waiting Lion, you will lead the attack. Sun Hair will ride with you. You must ride swiftly. Time is short.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close