Boots and Saddles - Cover

Boots and Saddles

Copyright© 2022 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 11

The morning after the fight at the training circle Sun Hair was called to the council fire. When he arrived, He found Red Hawk and the rest of the chiefs waiting for him.

“Sun Hair,” Red Hawk started, “The council has decided what should be done about our cousins, the Piutes. You are to return to the pony riders and speak to their chief, Big Steel. Tell him that we will meet at the meeting place when the full moon rises. We will discuss the council’s wishes with Big Steel at that time.”

Sun Hair bowed his head. “As the council wishes,” he said. “Do I tell them of the Piutes and their threats?”

“Yes, you can tell Big Steel of your knowledge. But we will not discuss our plans until we meet in council. So, you will leave at first light tomorrow.”

“As the council wishes.”

As Sun Hair was walking away from the council, he knew that he would have to tell Little Fawn that he was leaving the next day. When he approached where the women were working, he didn’t even have time to ask where Little Fawn was. The women started whispering and giggling among themselves. Finally, one of the older women spoke up, “Does the hero Sun Hair seek something?”

Sun Hair could feel the blood rushing to his face. That blush started a new round of giggles from the women. “Yes, Aunty, I seek Little Fawn. I have news for her.”

One of the younger girls said, “I saw Little Fawn going to the reeds by the river. She was going to look for cattails.”

Ducking his head, Sun Hair mumbled his thanks and hurried away, chased by the women’s laughter.

As Sun Hair approached the reeds, he heard a muffled scream. Rushing into the clearing in the center of the reeds, He found Wounded Eagle holding a struggling Little Fawn. His hand was over her mouth, and his other arm wrapped around her chest, pinning her arms.

A rage started in Sun Hair’s head. He rushed at Wounded Eagle and tackled into him. The unexpected attack knocked Wounded Eagle off balance, and as he fell, he released Little Fawn. Sun Hair moved between her and Wounded Eagle.

“Run, Little Fawn, get to safety.” Sun Hair called over his shoulder. Gathering her wits, Little Fawn bolted and ran for help.

When Wounded Eagle got to his feet, he had drawn a large, heavy-bladed, combat knife. Sun Hair knew that he was in trouble. All he had was a light hunting knife totally unsuited for battle, but he drew it anyway.

“Today is your last day, Sun Hair. Your scalp will be on my belt by sundown.” With that, he took a broad swipe at Sun Hair’s face. Sun Hair jumped back and held his knife at the ready.

The two combatants started circling each other. Sun Hair was unaware of a gathering crowd. Little Fawn had run to the other women. The alarm was quickly spread, and tribe members came from all directions. Wounded Eagle noticed the witnesses, which inflated his already bloated ego. He called out to the crowd, “Watch all how I prove the weak white blood running through this coward’s veins. Watch how I make him beg for his miserable life.” He then took another swipe at Sun Hair.

Sun Hair waited until the blade was past his and stepped closer to Wounded Eagle and, with a well-placed slice, opened a gash in Wounded Eagle’s side. He then jumped back before Wounded Eagle could react.

Wounded Eagle bellowed in pain and anger and took another swipe at Sun Hair. Again, Sun Hair waited for the blade to pass, then stepped in. He jabbed lightly and put a wound in Wounded Eagle’s left leg this time. This caused Wounded Eagle to stumble and go to his knee. Again, out of reach Sun Hair called to Wounded Eagle, “Wounded Eagle stop this. You have dishonored yourself attacking a woman and then attacking me. End this fight and walk away. You have nothing to gain. You have already lost.”

Wounded Eagle, blind with rage, jumped up and rushed at Sun Hair. Sun Hair was waiting for an attack, and as Wounded Eagle got within reach, he extended his knife. Wounded Eagle ran straight onto the blade, which was forced into his chest and heart. He was dead before he fell to the ground.

Sun Hair stood over the dead warrior. He then looked up and around at the gathered crowd. “This warrior has shamed himself by attacking an unarmed woman. He can no longer be called a warrior of the Shoshone. He is without honor and has paid the price for his actions. I will not take his scalp. It would befoul my coup stick if I hung his hair next to the honorable foes that are there.”

Sun Hair then spit on the corpse, turned his back on it, and walked away. As he walked through the crowd, a pathway parted in front of him. As he passed Little Fawn, she rushed next to him, and together they walked away.

Howling Wolf and Dew Flower were among the onlookers. Howling Wolf’s face betrayed no emotions, but Dew Flower was beaming with happiness.

That evening Sun Hair ate at Howling Wolf’s lodge. As he approached, Howling Wolf stood and grasped Sun Hair’s wrist. “Sun Hair, Welcome to my lodge. Join me while the women prepare the meal.”

Sitting next to the fire, Howling Wolf filled his pipe and lit it with an ember that he had pulled from the coals. Then after taking the first draw, he handed the pipe to Sun Hair. They passed the pipe back and forth until the tobacco was done. This was the signal for Dew Flower and Little Fawn to bring the meal to the men.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close