Boots and Saddles - Cover

Boots and Saddles

Copyright© 2022 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 5

The weeks following Sun Hair’s return were spent renewing old friendships and acquaintances. During the day, his time was spent with fellow clan members hunting and fishing. In the evenings, their time was spent sitting around the fire telling tales of their exploits and adventures. Naturally, there was curiosity about Sun Hairs’ time with the pony riders and the obviously new scalps he had. Several times he was also invited by Little Fawn’s mother to their evening meal. Howling Wolf always appeared angry, but one glance from his wife and daughter convinced him to hold his complaints. Instead, he wouldn’t say anything, just glare at Sun Hair occasionally.

When Sun Hair sat with his clan fellows, he modestly avoided telling of his new scalps and instead spoke of the pony riders. “Brothers, some of them are good warriors, almost as good as a Shoshone. Others not so much. They are brave and strong and smart. Their leaders are trustworthy and honorable.”

A voice from outside their circle called out. “Sun Hair is a weak woman who thinks the white man is better than us because he is white also. The pony riders are without honor, and when they get the chance, they will attack the Shoshone and try to drive us from our lands.”

When Sun Hair heard this, he jumped to his feet. “Who speaks these lies?” He demanded. “Who is the coward that hides in the dark?”

Stepping into the firelight, Wounded Eagle stepped into view. “I speak weakling. I am the voice of truth forcing the weak and stupid from our tribe.”

Wounded Eagle was a member of the Fox clan. He was a big man, taller than other members of the tribe. His chest was broad, and his arms heavily muscled.

“Wounded Eagle,” Sun Hair called out. “How is it that a bully and a braggart can claim to be a chief of the Shoshone. That you can decide who will stay in the tribe and who must be sent away?”

This had an effect on Wounded Eagle. The council had long chastised him for being a bully. He terrorized the younger members of the Fox clan. Even the older and more senior members were cautious around him. A direct challenge like Sun Hair had just made sent Wounded Eagle into a rage. He started to rush towards Sun Hair.

“HOLD!” called out Swift Horse, a Bear clan leader, and senior warrior.

Wounded Eagle glancing at Swift Horse, stopped in mid-stride. Wounded Eagle had unsuccessfully tried in the past to intimidate Swift Horse. The attempt had cost Wounded Eagle several missing teeth and a scar over his left eye.

“Wounded Eagle,” Swift Horse said, “There will be no battles here tonight. If you wish, tomorrow at dawn, you can be at the training circle. Then all will see who speaks truth here tonight. Do you agree to this?”

Wounded Eagle sneered at Swift Horse. “I will meet this weakling anywhere anytime. All will see that his white blood is thin.”

Turning to Sun Hair, Swift Horse repeated the challenge. “Will you meet Wounded Eagle in the Circle?”

Not trusting his voice from the anger he was feeling. Sun Hair didn’t speak, just nodded his head.

“Done” Swift Horse said. “When the sun reaches the circle, you will meet. He glared at Wounded Eagle. Who glared back, then turned and stomped away from the fire.

The following day Sun Hair came to the training circle. As was the custom, he was stripped to his loincloth. This was to show that he was unarmed. Combat in the circle was generally limited to wrestling type holds. But there were no rules. Anything was allowed except weapons. Armed battle was prohibited in the circle.

Soon Wounded Eagle appeared. He too, was stripped to his loincloth. He had painted his face and chest with war paint. Following him was a crowd of his fellow clansmen.

Word of the combat had spread quickly the night before. A large crowd had gathered for the fight. Some were Wounded Eagle’s supporters. Some of them might not have been fans of Sun Hair but were looking for the bully Wounded Eagle to get beaten.

In the crowd Was Red Hawk and some of the other council members. Also in the crowd were Waiting Lion and Swift Horse. At the rear of the crowd stood Little Fawn and her mother. Howling Wolf, her father, stood with the council members.

At first, there was the usual crowd noise, a quiet mumbling among the onlookers. Then Sun Hair stepped into the circle of stones marking the training ground. It was a large ring, easily 30 feet across. Sun Hair didn’t acknowledge the several voices of support from the crowd.

However, when Wounded Eagle stepped into the circle, there were shouts and yells. It was apparent to anybody watching that the calls were from members of the Fox clan. Other members of the tribe were silent.

There were no calls for the battle to begin. When both combatants were in the circle, the fight started.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close