Boots and Saddles - Cover

Boots and Saddles

Copyright© 2022 by UtIdArWa

Chapter 4

As I had expected, it took longer than 10 minutes for everybody to say their goodbyes. Some went quickly, and others were more time-consuming. At 15 minutes, the Corporal spoke up, “Please, folks, time is up. The more we delay here, the longer it will take to finish today’s scheduled activities.”

Reluctantly the three remaining mothers were led away by their husbands. When the parade ground was cleared, The Corporal again spoke up.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Corporal Lance Gibson. I am the senior training Corporal. With me are Corporal Macintyre and Corporal Davis. We are responsible for your training. Behind me is the Troop gate. When you pass through that gate, you will be trainees. If you complete this training in eight weeks, you will be recruits.”

“As I call your name, you will respond with ‘Here’ and then move to the position that one of the Corporals indicates. Do not waste time. Move quickly but do not run. The sooner we complete this process, the quicker we can move to the next task.”

For the next 15 minutes, he read the names from a clipboard. The first four names called were girls’ names. I was stunned to see that the person I had thought was a man seated with his back to the wall was actually a girl. Two of the other girls I knew from school. They both had been considered tomboys. They were always trying to beat the boys at their activities. And in some cases, they had succeeded. I knew them but didn’t really count them as friends.

Most of the rest of the group I knew from school. Like me, their ambition was to join the Regiment. Most had heard the tales and stories of the adventures that the troopers had. I discounted most of those stories. But in the back of my mind, I hoped there was some truth in them.

The rest of the group was filled with people I had never met. Some of them were rough-looking. Ill kept clothes and appearances.

While the roll was being called, I noticed it was in alphabetical order. As each name was called, that person was directed to a position that the Corporals indicated. Speed was important. If you weren’t moving fast enough, one of the Corporals would motivate you usually by yelling and screaming in your ear.

When the last name was called, and that person was in position Corporal Gibson called out in what we came to know as his parade-ground voice, “FREEZE.”

Most of us were stunned into immobility. But one or two looked around them. This made them immediate targets for the Corporal’s wrath. Again, they were subjected to a screaming banshee in their face or ear using the most colorful language.

When the group had finally achieved the desired immobility, the Corporals stepped back but continued prowling the ranks keeping their eagle eyes open for any violation.

During all of this, Corporal Gibson stood in front of our formation. We had been moved into three ranks of ten. The first four in the front rank were the girls. Then the rest of us, in alphabetical order, were placed in the other ranks. To our left was the troop gate. In front was the command gate and patio. To our right was the civilian gate.

After we were in position Corporal Gibson continued. “As I told you earlier, when you pass through that door,” he pointed to the troop gate, “You will be trainees. At any time in the next eight weeks, if you feel that the training is too difficult or that you are unable to continue, you may leave. There will be no blame or recriminations. Your records will note that an undiagnosed and undescribed medical issue caused you to be dropped from the training. You will be returned to your home of record and be given a dollar-a-day payment for your efforts. This is not a permanent situation. If, after six months, you decide to try again, you will be allowed back. Starting at the same place you are now. But be warned, it will be permanent if you quit a second time. You will not be accepted for a third attempt.”

“I notice that there are two horses at the hitching rail. Who’s are they?” The first girl raised her hand. A fellow to my left also raised his and called out. “That swayback crowbait grey is mine. Why do you ask?”

Gibson paused for a moment and considered the speaker. Then turned to the girl. “The chestnut mare is yours then?”

She lowered her hand and replied, “Yes, Corporal.”

“OK, didn’t your recruiter advise you to leave your horses at home? That we didn’t have the resources to care for personal mounts?”

Again, the clod called out, “Yeah, he mentioned something like that. But to tell ya the truth, that cayuse is mostly dead meat anyway. Just turn him out and let the coyotes and wolves take him.”

I could see that Gibson wasn’t happy with that response. He turned back to the girl. “How about it, Trainee? Is there someone that can come get her? She’s a mighty fine horse. And if that’s your tack, it’s quality goods too.”

I couldn’t see her face, but the concern and worry were evident in her voice. “I’ve got nobody, Corporal. Nobody to take her or the gear. I was hoping that we could come to a deal. I’ve had her since she was a foal.”

I could see the compassion and concern on Gibson’s face. “Give me a chance to think about this Trainee. In the meantime, we’ll board your mare and store the gear. I’ll talk to the stable master and see what we can do.”

“Thank you, Corporal.”

“What bout my nag? How come she gets special treatment?” This was from the clod from earlier.

Gibson just stared at him. I could see that he was muttering under his voice.

“Moving on,” he finally said. “We will now begin your first lesson. Corporal Davis, front and center, please.”

The Corporal came forward and stood to Gibson’s left, facing the group. He stood stiffly, arms to his sides and feet together.

“This is the position of attention. You stand upright, arms to your side, thumbs along the outer seam of your pants. Your head is up and facing forward. Eyes straight ahead and unmoving. Your legs and heels are together with your feet at 45 degrees.”

“When you hear the command Attention, you will immediately assume this position.”

Again, from my left came a voice, “Why?”

Gibson stopped, and his attention returned to the second rank. “Come forward, trainee. Up here with me, please.”

I could see from the corner of my eye. The culprit was looking around. He then stepped out, walked to the front, and stood in front of Corporal Gibson. “Whatcha want, BOY?”

Gibson looked at his clipboard. “Pierce, isn’t it?”

“That’s right, Texas Dan Pierce. I hail from Texas. The greatest country in the world.”

“I see. And why are you here, Pierce?”

“I hear tell that you boys are killin mex’s and injuns. I wanted ta get a piece o’ that befores they run out.”

Gibson stood for a moment and looked at him. Then finally, he said, “Well, Texas Dan, I don’t think we need you here, so it would be best for you to climb on your horse and head on out.”

“OH REALLY? and why should I do that?”

No sooner had that been said when a voice from behind and above called out, “Yoo Hoo, sweetheart.”

As a group, all eyes turned to that voice. The two sentries on the wall over the troop gate had their Winchesters up and aimed at Texas Dan.

“Now, that is excellent advice that the Corporal is giving you. It’s up to you, but I would take it, if I was you.” One of them said.

It took several heartbeats, but he made the right choice. Keeping his hands in view, he walked to the grey he had ridden in on and mounted up. Then with the rifles following him, he slowly walked his horse out the main gate.

From everyone, there was a collective sigh and a moment taken to collect their thoughts.

Turning back to the formation, Gibson continued. “Alright, let’s get back to business. You have now learned the position of attention. On the command ‘Attention,’ You will assume that position. The only time you wouldn’t immediately do so would be if there is a danger of injury. Then you will continue with what you are doing until it is safe to assume the position.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close