Space Born - a New Realm - Cover

Space Born - a New Realm

Copyright© 2022 by Ernest Bywater

Chapter 04

More Visitors

When Lorna launched the emergency beacons everyone knew any response to them would be weeks away as the closest destination for a beacon is a Federation planet that’s ten days flight time away. Allow a day or two to prepare a response, and the earliest a relief ship can reach them is twenty-one or twenty two days. The next nearest planets are Acadia and Accord in the Acadian realm, which are both fifteen days of flight time, thus any response from them would be thirty-one to thirty-four days. The other beacons went to the Rainbow Kingdom planets of Purple and Blue, both of which are eighteen days flight time away. Thus any response from them would likely take thirty-seven to forty days. The two smaller realms would need extra time to put together a relief force as they don’t have as large a standing Fleet as the Federation has.


First Response

During the morning of the thirty-fifth day after the attack the sensors detect a force of twelve ships on the edge of the system. The location is where they expect a relief force from Acadia to approach them, so they think it is an Acadian relief force, but react as if it’s a new attack force by having the military leaders go to their command centres. Len arrives at his and takes overall command as he’s the Defence Senior Supervisor.

Due to this force coming to a stop at the edge of the Heliosphere and them sending in a single unarmed scout Len thinks it’s not an attack.

When the scout passes the outer sensor line the Forge defenders get a very good read of what it is, and they all relax. Len activates his comm unit and says, “Forge Defence Command, Senior Supervisor Henry in charge, to Acadian scout ’Sneaky Sam.’ Good to see you. I hope that’s a relief force behind you and not another attack force. We did manage to beat the pirates, but it was close and we took a lot of damage. However, we’re ready to go again, if we have to.”

On the command deck of both the scout Sneaky Sam and the cruiser ’Ace of Spades’ the captains smile while listening to the message because they both know Len and recognise his voice. Captain Daniel Austin turns to Commodore Miller and says, “Trust a colony of researchers to put a video feed on their outer sensor line to know who’s at the door.”

Commodore Miller smiles while he nods in reply before he activates his own comm unit and says, “E equals M C cubed.”

Len smiles on recognising the challenge then replies, “Only when in a double negative division.”

Miller grins on getting the right response then he asks, “Do you have any critical needs we may be able to help you with, Len?”

“Thanks for the quick response, but I doubt you have a battleship you can leave with us,” is Len’s reply. “My Communications Officer is about to send you a shopping list I’d appreciate you passing to our Head Office when you get home. Most of our injured were either killed or are within our capabilities of dealing with. We have an extensive building program to repair the damage and extend our defences. The files we’re sending you include a full set of our recordings of the attack and an offer for you to pass on to the Fleet Commander. We have a few captured heavy cruisers we’re repairing, refurbishing, and upgrading we want to sell for half of the normal price of a new one, if Fleet wants them. We’ll even agree to you paying for them over a couple of budget years, if you want.”

“I’m sure the Admiral will want them. However, getting the budget is another issue. We may have a chance as the price is right and you don’t want it all at once. So they may approve the purchase. Whatever they do, I’ll enjoy looking over the specifications on the way home.”

“It’ll also help that we’ll be spending the money within the realm and not having to send it to a company in another realm. Make sure the bean counters understand that aspect.”

After a few more pleasantries it’s agreed they’ll save on time and fuel by not making planet fall and going directly to their home planets. So, they turn around and leave.


Second Response

On the morning of the thirty-ninth day after the attack Morgan boards Kookaburra for a trip around the outer sensor line. He plans to spend the day conducting tests of the ship’s systems and sensors. Because they expect any relief force from the Rainbow Kingdom to be turning up in the next few days he’s directed to conduct his test flights in that direction.

Kookaburra is faster than Kingfisher was, due to having larger drives in it, so it reaches the sensor line fairly quickly. Then he commences his series of test to see how well the on-board sensors work and also how well the ’stealth’ systems hide them from the detection sensors.

Three hours into the flight both Kookaburra and the sensor net detect a group of fifteen ships approaching Forge. Morgan turns to his crewman and says, “Ralph, do you trust your new system enough for us to take up station close to their cruiser?”

Ralph, the designer of the stealth system they’re testing, looks a little worried as he checks his monitors, then he says, “Can you set us up then let them come over us without getting hit?”

Morgan simply nods while he moves to place Kookaburra in the path of the light cruiser near the front of the approaching group of ships. He also sends a message to the command centre about what he’s found and what he intends to do. They give a simple reply beep acknowledgement on the Forge Command frequency. Then they wait for the real contact.


Several minutes later the officer in charge of the relief force is standing on the side of the cruiser’s bridge when their comm unit activates with a message, “Forge Defence Command, Senior Supervisor Henry in charge, to the Rainbow Kingdom light cruiser ’Blue Bonnet,’ what are your intentions for Forge?”

The senior officer smiles as he says, “I think we need to be buying some sensor systems from these people, as it seems they have visuals on us to read the ship’s name, Captain Grey. Respond with visual and see what they do. We need to confirm who is in charge before we commit to any action of any kind.”

“Yes, Sir,” is Captain Grey’s reply. He moves to his command chair, sits, and waves at the Communications Officer who activates the camera and mike as he gives the signal for a live mike. Captain Grey says, “Supervisor Henry, this is Captain Grey of the Rainbow Kingdom Relief Force in response to your emergency beacon. We need to confirm who is in charge of this system before we can withdraw. Can you have the person who sent the original message available to talk with me?”

His screen comes alight with a visual image from the Forge Command Centre as Len says, “I’m sorry, Captain Grey, but Captain Austin is out of communications right now as she’s working on a project in a remote part of the planet Anvil. I can have her contact you in about twenty hours.”

Grey looks over at his commander, and he get a shake of the head in reply, so he says, “Supervisor Henry, that is not acceptable. As we can’t hang around out here that long.” He stops speaking because he can see Len tilting his head as he frowns while obviously listening to another circuit on his comm unit.

Len looks up and says, “One of my officers says he’s close to you right now and if you will light up a port shuttle bay then open the door he’ll enter so he can talk directly to the commander of your force to convince him we won the fight and are the people you should be talking to.”

Grey glances at his boss, gets a frown with a nod, and says, “I don’t understand how that can be so, but we’ll open a port side shuttle bay.”

Grey turn to give orders, but sees his boss has already done that and the appropriate monitor shows the forward port side shuttle bay is now opening up. He also sees some troops are entering the bay as well. He smiles while thinking, Now to see what this idiocy is about as we’ve nothing on any of the sensors, so there’s no ships near us.


When Captain Grey starts talking to the Forge Command Centre the signal is also picked up by Kookaburra where Ralph and Morgan watch as they listen to the communications. Just after Grey starts to talk a man walks into the camera view behind the Captain, and Morgan smiles as he says, “Well, well. That’s interesting.” Ralph frowns at him so he adds, “I recognise the uniform of that crewman behind the Captain. His unit is not usually a member of a ship’s crew.” Ralph slowly shakes his head.

When Captain Grey speaks of the need to confirm who is in charge Morgan activates his comm unit and sends a directed message to the Command Centre as he says, “Command, Kookaburra, have them open a port side shuttle bay and I’ll board the ship then convince them that we hold the system. I don’t want to mention names, but I know one of the people on board Blue Bonnet and will be able to convince them with a face to face meeting.” On the visual feed he can see his father listening to his message, then Len gives a nod and responds to Captain Grey.

A moment later the forward port side shuttle bay door starts to open and Morgan can see the bay is well lit. He uses as low a power setting he can to direct Kookaburra to the shuttle bay, slowly enters it, then parks in the space he’s directed to by one of the crew members. Then they start the shutdown procedures while Morgan says, “Ralph, lock the door after I get out. Keep the screen up, and be ready to leave if I order you to.”

Ralph nods while he continues with the check list he has.


On the Command Deck an officer turns to Captain Grey and says, “Shuttle bay reports a small craft just docked, Sir. It’s about the size of a large family ground vehicle. Nothing shows on their sensor, or ours, and they still can’t get a read on it.” All who hear him are stunned.


Morgan opens the canopy and gets out of Kookaburra. He takes off his skinny, puts the skinny and helmet on his seat, reaches behind his seat to take his uniform coat off the rack he has it on behind the seat, puts his coat on, takes his cap from its pocket beside the rack, places it on his head then he closes the canopy before turning to the Boat Bay Officer to say, “Request permission to come aboard.”

The Boat Bay Officer, a Junior Lieutenant, says, “Permission granted, Major,” as he salutes Morgan.

While he returns the salute Morgan sees the two groups of troops near the rear wall of the shuttle bay, and smiles. Raising his voice he says, “Legionary, are you here as an honour guard or to see I behave?”

The Praetorian Guard Legionary is surprised this Major recognises his uniform and rank, but he simply smiles as he says, “Honour guard, Sir. That’s all.”

“Contact your Centurion and tell him I suggest he has a full squad as the personal security for the Brigadier, otherwise his normal two guards may get too nervous and do something we’ll all regret.” The Legionary and the Lieutenant both frown. However, as soon as Morgan starts to walk toward the elevator the Legionary’s eyes go very wide and he uses his comm unit to pass along the message.


On the bridge both the Captain and his commander are watching a visual feed from the shuttle bay while also listening to the talk. While the Captain is stunned to learn this person recognises the Praetorian Guard Legionary by his uniform and the fact he knows Brigadier Green is on board. The Brigadier frowns at the talk then his eyes go wide when he sees Morgan walk across the shuttle bay as he uses the same special way of moving the Praetorian Guards do due to their nanobot modifications.

Brigadier Green says, “I don’t recognise the face, but it has been a few years and he’s likely to have changed a bit. Also, those glasses he has on hides much of his face. Considering who settled this system, it’s not surprising he’s here. We best prepare to receive our guest.”

Captain Grey says, “Why should we put ourselves out for a jumped up self appointed Major from an upstart colony, Sir?”

Green turns to Grey and says, “Captain, take a close look at his left chest. He didn’t win the White Star walking streets in this colony. I was present when King Ian awarded it to him while he lay in a hospital bed recovering from wounds received saving our planet. You will accord our guest full honours, Captain.”

Grey’s eyes go wide then he says, “Yes, Sir.”

Then they move to the attached conference room to await their guest.

A moment later a squad of Legionaries enters the room and Green says, “Sergeant Walton, I don’t think you need to worry or need the extra guards. We’re about to meet an old friend neither of us have seen for a few years.” The Sergeant was a Legionary with Green when he first met Morgan on Purple a few years earlier.

Before the Sergeant can reply the door opens for Morgan and his two guards to enter. Morgan stops, comes to attention, and salutes Brigadier Green. The Brigadier returns the salute and says, “Seeing you face to face I recognise you, Major Kesselring. You’ve changed a bit since we last spoke. I take it the fact you’re here means your forces managed to beat the pirates.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close