Fanfare
Chapter 35

Copyright© 2022 by Lumpy

We spent the rest of Thursday hanging out with Seth, Marco, and Lyla, just relaxing and talking about the show. It had been the biggest thing any of us had played, and we were all hyped up. Eventually, they had to get back on the road, but I made a mental note to spend more time with them. So far, we only really hung out when we practiced or played gigs, but a band is all about chemistry and while we all got along, it wouldn’t hurt to become friends as well. Admittedly I was a little young for the rest of them, but they seemed to have a good time with us, so it didn’t seem like it mattered.

We invited them to go to the beach with us, but they all had stuff going on back home and had to decline. It had been worth a shot. I still needed to bring up the thought with Hanna later to see if she had any ideas of how we could spend more time socializing with them, but that could wait.

The next morning we were up early and packing. It was only about two and a half or three hours to the beach, but Hanna wanted to get to the beach early enough to get some time lying out in the afternoon. It was still cool outside, but apparently, there was never a bad time to lie out on the beach. We were only really staying a day and a half, since we’d have to drive a fair amount on Sunday to get back in time for school.

The drive down was nice, since a lot of the land between the triangle and the beach was mostly farms, with tobacco, cotton, and corn planted all along the sides of the highway. It was oddly relaxing after living in the mountains all year. The land seemed to stretch into forever. Once we got close to the beach, everything changed.

There started to be all kinds of stores and shops advertising beach clothing, as the highway dropped from four lanes down to two. The fast-food places, seafood restaurants, and a very out-of-place Chinese buffet were all open, but the stores selling swimwear and surfing equipment were all still shut for the winter. I wondered how close to summer they waited to open up, since after spring break season, families and college students wouldn’t start taking vacations again until late May or early June. It seemed strange to waste this high traffic season, although maybe it wasn’t worth it to open up for one week only to shut again after that.

While it’s easy to think of North Carolina as being framed completely by the outer banks, if you look at a full map of the US that really only covers the top half of the coastline. Although Ocean Isle was, as the name suggests, an island, it was just off the mainland, only separated by a thin strip of water and this close to the South Carolina border, you didn’t need a long bridge to get to it. What I hadn’t expected was how high up the bridge went, forming a big arc that went up and then just as quickly went down. It was amazingly tall, although I didn’t know if that was so it could accommodate boats or for hurricane season.

As soon as we were on the island, it became really quaint. There were hardly any cars driving but there were lots of people walking. A couple of seafood stands and an ice cream and candy shop operated not far from the bridge, followed by a put-put golf course and, if we kept driving straight another dozen feet, the ocean with a long pier stretching out into it. Signs advertised an arcade in the little building that you had to go through to get to the pier.

Aside from the road that followed on from the base of the bridge and directly to the pier, there were two roads running parallel stretching mostly to the north, which is where we turned. The road closer to the ocean had the really big beach houses on it, some of them three stories and actually looking more like houses you’d find in the suburbs instead of what I thought of as a beach house. The ones on the road nearer the mainland were closer to what I’d thought I’d see. Small little one-story houses sitting on top of tall stilts with a little parking spot underneath the house on one side. Every block or so an inlet came into the island on the mainland side where people could park boats right up near their house, if they were on that side of the road.

Hanna drove us down quite a ways till I wondered if we were going to end up driving off the island before pulling underneath a little blue house on stilts. We piled out, the salty ocean smell hitting me as soon as the car door opened. Hanna looked for the keys her aunt had given her and led us up the stairs that twisted back on themselves and ended at a tiny little porch to the front door.

The inside smelled stuffy and had clearly been closed up for a while.

“My mom and aunt rent this place over the summers, but it sits empty most of the winter, since there isn’t that much demand and the people that do come down here stay at one of those bigger places closer to the beach.”

“I guess this isn’t a big spring break spot.”

“No. I think it’s kind of a combination of family’s summer houses and older retired. I used to come out here a lot when I was younger. Those big houses weren’t built yet and you could actually see the ocean from the back porch.”

“So it’s not that late yet. Want to head down to the beach?” Kat asked.

“You realize it’s like sixty-eight degrees out. It’s not freezing, but it’s a little cold to be out in a bikini,” I pointed out.

“We’ll be fine. Come on, the sun is shining and there aren’t that many people around. Besides, we have now and tomorrow and that’s it. We have to leave early Sunday morning as soon as we get up.”

I looked over at Hanna who said, “Sure, I’ll go.”

“Fine. Let’s get changed. Who gets which room?”

There was a tiny kitchen right by the front door, then a small living room, with another door directly opposite it leading out to the back deck. On either side of the living room were two doors opposite each other.

“There are four rooms. How about Kat and I take a room on this side, and you pick one of the ones over there. There’s a bathroom between the pair of rooms, and this way you get your own and we don’t have to share a bathroom with a boy.”

“I’ve been well trained. I don’t leave the seat up or anything.”

“Still, no one wants a stinky boy’s bathroom. You go get changed and we’ll do the same.”

I carried my bag into the room closest to the kitchen, which had a small twin bed shoved against a wall and a dresser on the other. I threw my duffle bag on the bed and set my guitar on top of the dresser, since I wasn’t about to leave it in the car.

I couldn’t remember the last time I’d gone swimming. I’d outgrown all of my swim trunks, so I’d just packed some basketball shorts as a substitute. I switched into those, leaving on the t-shirt I already had. The only major change in wardrobe was that I lost my socks and shoes and switched to flip-flop sandals, since I didn’t want to end up tracking a bunch of sand back into the beach house.

It hadn’t taken me long to change and I was back out well before the girls. Hanna was the first one out in a modest, emerald green one-piece. Even when we went dancing the other night she hadn’t worn particularly revealing clothes, at least not the way Kat had. At school, she always went with larger clothes. They weren’t baggy or anything, but they did cover up most of her skin. I assumed it was some kind of response to her sexual assault and the trauma she still had from that. She was already wearing loose jean shorts over the bathing suit and was already pulling on a t-shirt as she walked back out into the living room.

I didn’t make any kind of comment on her clothing choice, since I knew she didn’t particularly like to dwell on it. Besides, I was more distracted when Kat came out. Sometimes, it was hard to remember how much of an athlete she was. Even when she was dressed for clubbing, you could only really see it in her arms. When she walked out wearing a low-cut red bikini though, it was very obvious. She had a well-defined six-pack and you could see her muscles move as she walked. She wasn’t bulky in the arms like a weight lifter or in the legs like a runner. She had that classic, sleek swimmer’s body that was made for gliding through the water.

“Are...” I started, and then had to clear my throat, to dislodge the frog that apparently got stuck in it. “Are you going to wear anything over that? It might be a little cold walking down to the beach.”

Hanna was fighting hard to suppress a grin at my reaction, but Kat didn’t notice.

“I thought I had a big t-shirt to throw on, but I couldn’t find it in my bag. I was hoping I could borrow one of yours.”

“Ohh, uhh, sure,” I said, going back and grabbing one of my clean shirts.

I tossed it to Kat who pulled it on and led us all out the door. I would have just tromped over the sand dunes that made a thin line between the next row of beach houses across the ocean side road, directly onto the beach, but apparently, that wasn’t the way to go. Hanna directed us a block down to a small cross street that led up to public access to the beach.

As predicted, it was more or less deserted. It might have been a pretty comfortable temperature when we were standing just outside the beach house, but the breeze blowing off the ocean really dropped the temperature a bit, causing me to shiver slightly. The girls, however, seemed to take it in stride. I followed them to whatever they determined was a good spot, where they each laid out their blankets and proceeded to strip out of the clothes covering up their bathing suits.

I, probably too obviously, made it a point not to stare as I lay out my own blanket. While I was attracted to Kat, she needed the room to deal with her own issues before she was ready to date anyone, but especially me, considering the unique power imbalance between the two of us. Even though I liked her, or maybe because of it, I wouldn’t do anything to hurt her mental health further. Maybe one day, if she got things sorted out, but that was some point in the future so it was best not to think about it.

Hanna was a different story. While there was no practical reason - aside from the two-year age difference - that I couldn’t have dated Hanna, it wasn’t something that I’d ever even thought of and I was pretty sure she hadn’t either. Our friendship just never went in that direction and thinking of her as anything other than my best friend felt weird and wrong. Hell, she was closer to my sister than someone I would date.

However, the teenage lizard part of my brain kept trying to remind me how smoking hot they both were, and it was taking every ounce of willpower I had to ignore it and try to keep thinking of my friends as asexually as possible.

I was positive they noticed my discomfort when Kat asked, “Charlie, can you put sunscreen on my back?”

Hanna laughed and said, “Yeah, me too.”

“Why don’t you put it on each other,” I pointed out.

“Nope, this is the whole point of bringing a boy to the beach. We lie out and you put on the sunscreen and feed us grapes. Now ... chop-chop,” Hanna said.

I grumbled nonsense under my breath for show and took the bottle from Kat, directing her to lie on her stomach. I started applying the sunscreen across her back, shoulders, and legs, being careful to avoid getting too close to any problematic areas. Her muscles were like coiled ropes and if there was an ounce of fat on her, I couldn’t find it.

After I finished Kat, I moved over to do Hanna who, while still toned from her cheerleading days, was a lot softer than Kat. My job finished, I went back to my blanket, ignoring them once more. I tried to jot down ideas in the little notebook I’d started carrying around to work on music when I had free time, but everything was more or less nonsense. I couldn’t keep my focus long enough to actually get anything done. Eventually, I gave up and lay back on my blanket, staring at the sky while the girls chatted about stuff.

We’d gotten in after lunchtime and it had taken us a little while to get to the beach, so before long the sun started making its way down in the sky and the temperatures started to cool off to the point where none of us could take it anymore. I did foolishly try one quick trip into the ocean, just to say I had, but I’d barely gotten into ankle-deep water when the shock of how cold it was hit me. I wasn’t much of a beach guy, but in my head, I’d always had a picture of white sandy beaches and warm waters, but maybe that was just Caribbean islands. Wherever I’d been thinking about, it definitely wasn’t the Atlantic in mid-April.

We got back to the beach house and got cleaned up, changing into more reasonable clothing and started talking about dinner. There’d been a little hamburger stand down by the pier, and we all agreed a hamburger and a walk on the pier sounded nice.

As we headed down the steps I said to Kat, “Just throw that t-shirt in my room when you get a chance, okay?”

“Nope. That’s mine now.”

“What?” I asked, looking at Hanna, who just shrugged as she finished walking down to the street.

“Them’s the rules. Sorry,” Kat said before catching up to Hanna.

I just followed behind, wondering what rules she was talking about.

The hamburgers were fine. They didn’t hold a candle to Chef’s burgers, but the view, looking out the small window at the pier and the ocean as the sun went down, couldn’t be beat. After dinner, we paid to walk on the pier and watched the last of the sunlight fade away before heading back to the beach house, where we sat on the back porch and just relaxed. It was cold enough that Hanna pulled on a sweater and Kat brought out a blanket, but it was so relaxing, none of us minded.

It was almost noon when I rolled out of bed the next morning. Apparently, I’d been impossible to wake up, because a note on the counter that separated the kitchen from the living room area told me Hanna and Kat were back down at the beach.

As much as I loved my friends, that didn’t interest me at all. The beach was nice and I did enjoy just hanging out and watching the ocean the day before, but I don’t think I could spend hours doing it again. Instead, I pulled out my guitar and sat on the back porch, working on music. Even with Seth’s song and a possible one Lyla said she was working on but hadn’t shown us yet, I still had to come up with six more to have a full set to play for the audition, and that was coming up pretty soon.

So far on this trip, I’d had two ideas for songs. The first idea was when we visited the campus at UNC. I don’t know if they’d had some kind of family activity or mid-term thing, but they’d had some banners from whatever the event had been hung up around the park where we’d watched kids studying, relaxing, and playing Frisbee. They had been cheesy; mostly stuff about college being the next step to adulthood and believing in yourself, but it got me thinking.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close