Extraction
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2021 by Lumpy

He drove back slowly keeping an eye on the terrain and trying to remember how things had looked when they’d gone north. The last thing he wanted to do was come driving back over the ridgeline and into plain view of the compound, especially in the stolen truck they were bound to have noticed, by now. He wanted to get close, since he was already exhausted and the idea of walking several miles didn’t appeal to him, but everything looked different than it had in the dark, with his adrenalin pumping and Lopez bleeding out in the back.

After a few miles, he felt he was getting close and saw a place he could hide the truck until he came back, since he didn’t know where things were going to go and having transportation could make a big difference for him over the next few days. He pulled over and backed into a small washout that led into a crevice not far off the side of the road. It would hide most of the truck and hopefully, anyone who came by would assume it was one more piece of abandoned junk someone had pushed out of the way and forgotten about. It was gravelly and a little steep, so there was also a chance he might not be able to get it back out once he backed it in, but Taylor figured that was a better chance than just having it stolen or stripped bare while he walked the rest of the way to the compound.

Instead of going back to the road, where he’d be in the open as soon as he crested over the next ridge, Taylor made his way down the ravine, moving equal parts south towards the compound and east, perpendicular to the compound, to hopefully out of the hills and into the flat area around it somewhere close to the rear, like they had before the botched assault.

It was still a good walk, but Taylor stopped every few minutes and listened intently. The closer he got to the building, the more concerning the silence got. Although it was hours since the attack, they should still be recovering from it, making repairs to the vehicles and their gear, and having men patrol for a follow-up attack. Nothing could mean they were already prepped and just waiting, not wanting to expose their positions, which would mean this whole thing was screwed and there was no recovering from it. The best he could do at that point would be to beg Wheeler for a ride out or take his stolen truck and try to drive along the coast as far as one of the country’s major cities still under the control of the national government, and work out a way to fly somewhere friendly.

That would also mean no way back for Wayne Nash.

Taylor pushed those thoughts aside. The army drilled into its NCOs, and especially units that operated independently, that at some point in every mission, things would go to shit. When that happened, the thing to do was to just work the problem. Take your mission on one task at a time, complete it, then move on to the next task until you succeeded or died.

Crawling on his belly to a small drop off in the rocky hillside he’d been working his way down, Taylor checked off task one, getting to the compound. What he saw made him curse silently while completely wiping out the rest of his tasks all at once.

He hadn’t moved as far laterally as he’d hoped, which meant he could see the area in front of the gate as well as some of the rear of the compound.

When he’d left, there had been a handful of bodies outside the compound right in front of the gate, along with eleven trucks and cars parked at odd angles waiting for their drivers to return. Now the area was empty. There were no bodies in front and all the vehicles had gone.

Taylor considered that maybe this was a ruse of some kind, and fighters inside were trying to get any possible second group of attackers to walk into a trap, but that just didn’t make sense.

First, he’d dealt with a lot of foreign militias, tribes, and freedom fighters over the years on various assignments, and they rarely thought of solutions that way. They could be tricky when they needed to be, but their gut instinct was always to go straight at the problem with as much force as they could muster.

Taylor watched for another few minutes, listening intently, but heard no more sounds and saw no movement from the compound or the area around it. When it was clear he’d get nothing by just observing the building, he decided it was time to make a move.

Scanning the area once more to confirm it looked clear, he hurried over the ridge and made a dash for the northern wall of the compound, pressing his body up against it and listening hard for any sign that he’d been spotted. Again, nothing. No movement, no shouts, and no indications of life at all.

Taylor crept to the edge of the building and peeked around, towards the gate. He could see the churned-up dirt from where the vehicles had gone; at least confirming that it hadn’t been some kind of massive hallucination. Still hearing no sound, he moved slowly, measuring each footstep, as he closed the distance to the gate.

Once he got close enough, he could tell there were still traces of blood mixed in with the sand and rock on the ground, but most of it was gone. Five men and died and bled here, and in his experience that left quite a mark even after the bodies were moved. For that much blood to be covered up or spread around, there had been a lot of movement in and out of the gate once the bodies had been moved out of the way. It would have had to be more than just footsteps. He could see tracks and furrows in the dirt along with the boot prints. A lot of equipment was moved through here, and not that long ago.

While that could mean they’d brought stuff inside the building, the absence of the trucks made it pretty certain it had been the opposite. They had pulled a bunch of equipment, or something, out of here. Probably to load it on the missing trucks.

The area was still completely silent and still, except for what sounded like an animal a ways off in the distance. Taylor peeked in through the gate and pulled back. No bodies in the entrance or the courtyard. Lots of bullet holes and blood still splattered the wall he could see inside the small gate shack where Lopez had been hit.

He moved in, staying low, using the building as cover, moving around the courtyard, saving the main building for last, since getting trapped in there would be very bad. Unless this was the most weakly timed trap he’d ever seen, this place was deserted. It hadn’t been that long and they’d moved all the bodies somewhere, so they must have been hustling. Perhaps they thought the attack was sent by the warlord who controlled this area, although one look at the dead White Mountain guys would have disproven that theory. Maybe they were worried that more Americans would be on their way.

The real question was, did they kill the hostages and take off, or take hostages with them. There was no way to know until he went inside.

Taylor followed through the doorway Stone and O’Brien had disappeared through. There were a fair number of bullet holes and scoring in the walls, so there had been a firefight, but there wasn’t a lot of blood. Of course, who knew how far those two got in before being overwhelmed? It seemed unlikely either had gotten out of this building, let alone escaped the compound, but anything was possible.

It didn’t take Taylor long to get the answer of where all the bodies went. Inside what may have been a conference room at one point, considering the large and completely smashed table discarded off to one side, he found a pile of bodies.

It smelled to high hell and the flies were already thick, but he needed to know if this was the end of the line or if he had to keep going. Most of the bodies were locals and probably members of the militia, based on their clothing. After moving a couple of bodies he found the first members of the team. Dunn looked straight up at him, his face locked in surprise, as Taylor moved a body off of him. A massive bullet wound in his chest had ripped his heart apart, killing him instantly. From where the shooters had been, it was a lucky shot, or maybe unlucky if you looked at it from Dunn’s perspective. It didn’t take him long to find Ellis’s, Quinn’s, Hunter’s, and Patrick’s bodies. All of them ripped to shreds.

Notable was the missing Stone, O’Brien, and Webb, who’d been at the gate with them and had refused to run when Taylor had grabbed Lopez. Did that mean they’d been taken hostage? Were their bodies laid out somewhere else? It was impossible to tell, although the fact the guys who died on the gate and been dragged this far in suggested that if there had been other bodies, they wouldn’t have been left where they were lying. Taylor also noticed any jewelry he remembered the men wearing to be missing, including the rather nice watch that had been on Dunn’s wrist the last time he saw the man alive.

The other thing missing from the pile was any sign of dead hostages. There were a few bodies of men that looked particularly American and dressed in much nicer civilian gear than the militia guys had on, but they had already started to decompose and had probably been here since the first raid. He didn’t see Wayne Nash or any of the other hostages so, barring a second dumpsite, they’d taken the hostages with them, which might also mean they took Stone, O’Brien, and Webb with them as well.

Taylor continued to poke through rooms, going slowly. Once he was past the first bit of hallway, the bullet holes disappeared, which suggested Stone and O’Brien didn’t get very far. The building itself was very poorly built, like it was put together in a hurry. That wouldn’t be unusual for a small army forward operating base, or even some of the more permanent bases, since speed was often much more important than precision, but for a group like Northbridge, it was unusual.

Defense contractors, especially ones that operated private military contractors in addition to supplying the military itself, often had operations not far from military installations, since the Army found it easier, although not necessarily cheaper, to hand off some bureaucratic functions to private contractors rather than handling it themselves. The few times Taylor had been to one of their in-country offices, he’d always been impressed by how much better it was than an Army equivalent building. This place, however, looked like it was built by a reserve construction battalion after a week’s leave. It was unusual.

Most of the rooms looked to have been offices at some point, although they’d all been ransacked and thoroughly trashed. The one exception was the center of the building, which was a large room with raised floors for cooling underneath. There were some tall box-like machines along one wall which could be computer banks or networking equipment. Taylor really wasn’t sure, since this wasn’t his area of expertise. They were well smashed up, so whatever they had been, they were scrap now. The notable thing was what was in the center of the room, or more precisely what wasn’t in the center of the room.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close