Seed of Doubt - Cover

Seed of Doubt

Copyright© 2021 by Denham Forrest

Chapter 2: The Sapling Begins to Mature

I got a surprise when I arrived home from picking the twins up from school the following evening, Celine’s car was in the drive; she hadn’t been due home for another four or five days or so. The twins were obviously ecstatic and they rushed into the house to see their mother.

I followed them in and we discovered Celine halfway down the stairs. The look on her face when our eyes first met, told me she’d spotted the changes I’d made whilst she’d been away. But it quickly vanished as the twins took her attention. After the normal kisses and cuddles with the girls and the twins asking her why she was home early. A question that Celine didn’t answer, she turned her attention back to me.

I was still standing by the door when she came over put her arms around me to kiss me. At the opportune moment, I turned my head slightly, so that the kiss landed on me cheek and not on my lips.

“Why did you do that?” She asked.

“Not in front of the children please, Celine.” I replied.

“I don’t know what’s got into you, Ralph.”

“Yes you do, why can’t you ever be truthful? Elaine has told you what’s go up my nose and that’s why you came dashing back home. Now I’d really prefer it if we had this discussion after the children are in bed. You’ve caught us on the hop; the girls and I were intending to go out to eat this evening. What’s the plan now?”

For a moment Celine looked confused. Then she said, “That’s fine with me. Where are we going?”

An interesting question for Celine to ask, usually she would suggest a venue.

“Nowhere special. We planned on The Cabin; the girls like it there.”

Unfortunately for Celine, she didn’t like The Cabin. Which in essence was a glorified sort-of transport café, but the twins for some inexplicable reason love the place. I have no real idea why; perhaps it was the informal relaxed atmosphere.

In usual times, Celine would veto a visit to The Cabin and we would go to somewhere a little more refined. I think for the first time ever, Celine chose not to argue the point. Or you could say, “Put her foot down.” But I’m not sure that’s a universally understood expression.

During the meal everything remained very pleasant. We talked about how successful Celine’s trip had been and once again she changed the subject when one of the twins asked her why she’d cut the trip short.

Celine tucked the children into bed that night. Then very quietly joined me in my study where I was waiting for her. I knew that my study was the last place on earth Celine would want to have the conversation. It was my space and it was very rarely that anyone else went in there, even my girls.

Without saying anything she sat in my easy chair and I swung my around in the big leather executive type chair I use when I’m on my computer.

“What are you writing?” She asked, I think she was trying to keep things friendly.

“It has never interested you in the past Celine, so why should it concern you now?” I replied. That wasn’t a question; it was a statement of fact. I was letting Celine know that just because I’d been civil to her all evening, this wasn’t going to be the pushover that she thought it was going to be.

“Ralph, I don’t understand what’s got into you. Why are you behaving so strangely towards me, and why have you moved all my clothes into the guest suite?”

“Because from now on, that’s what you are; a guest in this house.” I replied.

“This is nonsense, I’m your wife.”

“Are you sure you’ve got that right Celine; isn’t it more usual for you to tell everyone that I’m your husband? Or is it ‘The little man at home?’”

“So that’s it! This is silly Ralph, we agreed when I took this job, that I could earn much more than you would be able to and you agreed that you would look after the children.”

“True I did, and I’m still quite happy with that arrangement.”

“So what’s wrong; what’s your problem?”

“I haven’t got a problem, Celine, you have. And I know that Elaine told you all about what we discussed yesterday, so please don’t ask me to go through it all again. It had to be Elaine talking to you that brought you running home so quickly.”

“Elaine said that you thought I had been having an affair. God Ralph, I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“Actually I said nothing of the kind, I implied to her that I thought you were into orgies; your words, not mine by the way. But whatever you’ve been getting up-to, you’re not ‘in-love’ with me anymore, that’s for bleeding sure. Your heart is somewhere else Celine, and I know from experience that once that happens, the odds are on that you’re bedding any man who takes your fancy.”

“This is ridiculous Ralph. I was only joking when I made that orgy comment. I told you, Claire had the television set on.”

“But why the word orgy, Celine? Why not a having party or something? Orgy, isn’t a word that I can ever recall hearing you use before.”

“It was just the first word that came into my head, that’s all.”

“No Celine, the word orgy doesn’t slip off the tongue just like that!”

Celine sat and thought for a while.

“I know what it was, Frank and Jimmy had been telling us about a group from that French fashion house, you know that really way-out crowd. Anyway they were almost thrown out of the hotel because they held an orgy in their suite, apparently they made so much noise that other guests complained. Then the police were called because a naked couple were having sex out on the balcony where people in the offices opposite could see them.”

“Where were Frank and Jimmy when they told you that, Celine?” I asked, knowing full well that they had to have been in her hotel room.

Although I should add, that when she’s away in her trips, Celine has always had the habit of using her hotel rooms and suites as makeshift offices, even when her company has an office in the same town sometimes. I know, I’ve shared the things often enough; can get to be like Piccadilly Circus on occasion; with all-sorts coming and going most of the day and evening.

Again there was a delay before Celine answered.

“Yes they were in our room, waiting for Claire and I to get changed. But we changed in the bathroom, I swear.”

“So they were in your room when you spoke to me on the telephone?”

Celine paused for a brief moment, then her facial expression changed slightly, before she answered.

“I’m sorry, yes I lied to you! I told you that I Claire and I were alone ... that wasn’t fair of me. Ralph, we were discussing business that’s all.”

“I knew that they ... or some other male was in the room with you, Celine; I’ve always known when someone besides Claire was with you, I just never realised it before.”

Celine sat forward in her seat; I knew I’d got her thinking.

“Celine, when you talk to me on the telephone, it is apparent to me that the way you speak ... the words and the phrasing you use ... appears to be governed buy exactly whom might be overhearing the conversation. Those words and phrases you use change depending on whether you are alone or whether Claire is with you. They change yet again, when other people are within earshot ... especially your male colleagues.”

Honestly I think I could hear the cogs going around inside Celine’s brain.

“Ralph I’ve never ever thought of betraying you. I’ve never slept or even kissed another man that way since we’ve been married.”

“Prove it, Celine?” I demanded.

There was no answer from Celine.

“No, you can’t do that, can you? Okay, tell me when we, you and I that is, last slept together. And when I say slept together, I mean as man and wife cuddling and having, dare I say it, sex!”

“Ralph I’ve been very busy lately. And I’m sorry, if I’ve neglected you, and the children as well.”

“Neglected yeah, that’s what the guys in my office used to do, neglect the little woman because they were too busy banging the arses off the little sluts they picked up on the road. Or knocking-off each other’s wives!

“That’s how it goes, they get so caught-up in there own little world, that home and the wife was just somewhere to go to on weekends.”

Celine was quiet again; she just sat there staring at me. But she was leaning forward in her seat; I definitely had her full attention.

“Ralph, I, I remember you talking about those people you worked with and you promising me that you’d never get to be like them. But from what you’re saying, you think I’ve turned into a female version of one of them. Oh god, how could I let you think that had happened; how can I put it right? But Ralph, I promise you I’ve never ever betrayed you.”

“Whatever, you say Celine, but unfortunately the damage is done. For now, I suggest that you sleep in the guestroom. We can get a legal separation if you wish. But I’d prefer not to go for a divorce until the children are older and can properly understand what’s going on. You live here as you have been doing...”

“What! No, I don’t want a separation or a divorce; I want to prove to you that I love you.”

“The magic word Celine, YOU don’t want. Do you know it’s been what Celine wants in this house for so many years now? Celine the executive businesswoman always gets what she wants!”

“I’m not like that.”

“You’re not? Celine, tell me what car is parked in our drive?”

“Our Galaxy and my company BMW, what’s that got to do with anything?”

“No Celine, its your Ford Galaxy. I’m damned sure you will remember that my first car was an old Ford. Fix or repair daily ... and I sure did! That thing was a pain in the bleeding arse right from the day I bought the bloody thing; cost me an arm and bloody leg and still kept breaking down on me all the time. I promised the world and his wife, that I would never ever drive another bloody Ford. And what do you do? Buy an effing Ford Galaxy without consulting me and make me look like a bloody hypocrite.”

“But it was a good deal, I got a massive discount on it, because we’d used their cars in that advertising campaign.”

“And I’m the numpty who has to drive the sodding thing. Have you any idea how many of my friends had a laugh at my expense, over that damned car.”

“But it’s just a car, Ralph.”

“But not a car that I want to be seen driving, Celine. It’s just a symbol, but maybe when you come to understand that ... Maybe then, you might begin to understand what my problem really is. Now I’m going to bed, I’ve had a long day.”

“Is that it? Aren’t we going to discuss this properly?”

It’s discussed Celine, but as usual you weren’t listening. Or at least you don’t understand. Goodnight Celine. And tomorrow, can I ask you to find somewhere else to park your Ford Galaxy. My Disco is being delivered in the morning.”

“What’s a disco...?” She was asking as I left the room.

“Celine tried the handle and knocked on my bedroom door a little later, but I had locked it. On the security camera I’d watched her come up the stairs. She went to the guest room door and opened it, but then appeared to change her mind and came over to the door of the master suite. After trying the handle she knocked a couple of times, before she gave up and went back to the guest suite. She stood staring at my bedroom door for sometime, before she went inside.

In the morning Celine was up before I was and had the breakfast cooking by the time I got down.

“Tea?” She asked as I entered the kitchen.

“I always drink Coffee in the morning, Celine.” I said switching on the coffee maker as I did so.

“Sorry, I forgot.”

“No Celine, I doubt you forgot. You just never bothered to notice.”

I should point out that as househusband it had always been my job to prepare breakfast for my hardworking wife. So in fact, Celine had little idea of my usual daily routine.

“I’m sorry, you’re right I haven’t taken notice of a lot of things, have I?”

“Not for a long time, Celine. You’ve been too busy with your other interests.” I said with as much sarcasm in voice as I could muster.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Work it out for yourself, Celine, I’m done talking about it.”

“So what happens now?” she asked.

“Nothing Celine, life goes on as usual. You do your job and I’ll carry-on doing mine. That was our agreement, remember! I’m the househusband and you’re the breadwinner.”

“No, I mean the separate rooms. We can’t live like that.”

“Oh, so you want to go for a full separation and divorce right now. I’d much prefer we waited until the children are old enough to understand.”

“No stop it, Ralph! I don’t want a divorce, I want us sleeping in the same room, in the same bed.”

“Not going to happen, Celine. As I told Elaine your behaviour over the last few years planted the seed of doubt in my mind, and now its grown into a bloody great big oak tree!”

“I can’t believe this is happening. You can’t be serious? I’m your wife; I love you.”

“Words Celine, actions speak louder than words. Now the children will be down any minute, I’d prefer not to discuss this in front of them. Actually I can’t see the point in discussing it further anyway. I suggest that for the children’s sake we put on a front as best we can; when they are old enough to understand, we can go our separate ways. In the meantime, I’ll ask you to be as discrete as you have been in the past please.”

Celine sat and stared at me for a long time. Several times I thought she was going to say something else, but she seemed to check herself at the last moment. Then with a resigned expression on her face she said. “I have to get ready for the office!” And then she left the kitchen

So we didn’t discuss it anymore. Celine went off to the office and I took care of the children.

When my Discovery was delivered later that day I moved the Ford Galaxy and parked it out on the street. Several weeks later when it was due for a service, the local Ford agency collected it and I assume put it into storage. I never did drive the thing as my daily transport again; although it has reappeared since.

In the weeks that followed, in front of the children and when out in public Celine and I behaved towards each other, as we always had. Except that those little pecks on cheek Celine had deigned to give me had stopped completely. Otherwise I don’t think anyone outside the house would have noticed anything had changed.

But things had changed. Quite a few Celine’s important trips abroad suddenly appeared to have become much less important and the frequency of her overnight absences from the house decreased. And I’d say that she was more attentive to the girls; suddenly nothing took precedence over the girls’ school activities. She even flew back from Paris for the school sports day.

“Are you still going to come to the company functions?” Celine had asked about a week or so after she’d moved into the guestroom.

I think I told you earlier, that whenever it was possible ... or should I phrase that ‘my presence was requested; I’d always attended these shindigs, in-house fashion shows, dinners with her clients, etc. I’d always played the dutiful spouse as and when required.

“Of course I am, has that not always been part of our arrangement.” I replied.

Suddenly I found there seemed to be a lot more of those do’s than I ever remembered before. Or most likely, it was that I was requested to attend more of them. Elaine seemed to be babysitting for us several nights every week. And there were a lot more daytime event’s that were suddenly added to my diary as well. Elaine would usually collect the girls from school when they happened.

I did note, a not so subtle change in Celine’s behaviour at all these affairs, as well. Christ, she hung onto my arm almost from the minute we arrived until the time we left again. In the past we would arrive at these functions together, but she’d soon disappear into little cliques with her associates.

I also noted that -- when she called home from abroad -- that there was usually absolute silence in the background. And I would get a sometimes overly detailed description of her day. This got ridiculous in the end, but Celine sounded quite upset when I told her hat it was not necessary.

“But I’m trying to convince you that I haven’t ... Oh, you know what I mean.” She replied.

“Celine, I believe that you haven’t done anything that you shouldn’t, today, Okay! There, does that make you happier? But it’s all too late, Celine; its what you did in the past that counts. We discussed this, what you do whilst you’re away from home now, means nothing to me. I told you, be discreet and I don’t bloody-well give a damn!”

I was somewhat taken aback that Celine broke into floods of tears. I could hear her crying over the phone.

Then quite unexpectedly Claire came on the phone, I really had thought Celine was alone in ... wherever she really was.

“What did you say to her, you bastard?” Claire yelled down the phone at me. But at the same time Celine began to shout something to Claire and then the line went dead. From the noises I assumed the receiver had fallen on the floor.

Fifteen minutes later the phone rang again.

“Ralph, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said what I did to you.”

It was Claire, and there was quite a lot of spurious noise in the background. I got the impression that she was calling from one of those phones they have in hotel lobbies. Strange how background noises seemed to be so important to me at that time.

“Ralph, its not my place to ask, but please tell me what’s going on between you and Celine? I know you had that row a couple of month’s back. But Celine hasn’t been the same since, she’s miserable all the time and biting everyone’s head-off for no reason whatsoever.”

“You’re correct Claire it is none of your business. I’m sure if Celine wanted you to know, then she’d tell you.” I replied.

“I’m sorry Ralph, but Celine is a wonderful person. I wouldn’t have worked for her for so long if she wasn’t; but she’s hurting and I can’t seem to do anything to help her.”

“You can’t, well Perhaps Jimmy can help her. Good night Claire!” I hung up the telephone.

I suppose it was opportune for me that Celine and Claire were in New York again. I happened to have met all of the male staff at that particular office.

When Celine called the next evening, she was quite brief when she spoke to me, and didn’t mention the previous day’s ... encounter. Although she was on the telephone to the girls for a very long time.


Weeks had passed and I thought life had settled into its knew routine when a very strange thing happened at the school one day. I’m not sure that I can remember exactly why I had gone into the girls’ classroom that morning to speak to their teacher. The unusual thing was, I noticed thathe delectable Sheila Spencer was also in the room, making some rather strange hand signals at me, whilst I was in conversation with the teacher.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close