Country Boys
Chapter 26

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

There was a large crowd gathered around the front porch of the main house. Pepper sat on the top rail of the corral watching everyone. They were excited about the fact that Sonny was due home, any time now. He watched them talking and laughing. They were a close-knit group, and he felt like an outsider.

Dan, Joe, Hank, and Calvin stood apart talking in hushed voices. The three Mrs. Daniels, Rose, and Lily were seated on chairs making wedding plans. The ranch hands were in a group off to the side discussing a variety of topics none of which had anything to do with what had happened out in Los Angeles, Sonny’s return, or running the ranch.

With the arrival of Sonny at the ranch, Pepper’s time there was coming to an end. He was looking forward to returning to Los Angeles. It had been ages since he had a fast food burger, a taco, or a latte. He missed his apartment, but more from a comfort perspective than a real desire to spend much time there. It was strange, but he didn’t miss the store at all.

He stared over at the mountains thinking about how majestic they looked in the distance. No matter what other feelings he might have about his abduction, he had to admit that the scenery here was great.

The sound of a pickup truck pulling into the drive caused a minor commotion over by the ranch house. Pepper watched as Mrs. Daniels got up from her chair and moved towards the driveway. He noticed that more than one person checked his or her gun just in case it was an unexpected guest. He was about to dismiss it until he thought about what would happen if the gang showed up here. They sure wouldn’t wait for everyone to go get their guns.

He could see Donny when the truck pulled up, but he didn’t see Sonny. For a second he was worried, but then Sonny sat up. He was shocked at how pale Sonny looked. The young man appeared to have lost some weight since he had last seen him. He figured that getting shot two times in a month had a lot to do with it.

Mrs. Daniels immediately hugged Sonny. Her embrace was tentative as if afraid that she would hurt him. He gave her a good squeeze and would have lifted her off the ground, but didn’t have the strength for that. Pepper flinched on seeing that.

Rose went over to Donny and welcomed him back with sufficient passion to spark jokes about the need to move up the wedding date. Hank and Calvin made a number of comments about needing to find a shotgun, but it didn’t slow things down one bit.

When they finally broke apart, Donny looked over at Hank and said, “Be quiet, Dad. Can’t you see that she’s trying to make an honest man out of me?”

Hank was pleased to be addressed as ‘Dad’ by Donny. Trying to sound like a crotchety old man, Hank said, “These darned whippersnappers don’t know how to show an old man respect.”

“Stop talking to the old man and kiss me again,” Rose said winking at her father.

The uncles and aunts were crowded around behind Mrs. Daniels waiting their turn to hug the young man. It was fitting that the young man was welcomed home by his family. On the surface, it was a cheerful reception, but there was an undercurrent of sadness. Sonny had been changed by his ordeal, the uncles had been changed by their actions, and all of the women welcoming Sonny home knew that. Nothing was going to be the same.

“Family.”

The sudden voice by his side startled Pepper. He looked over and saw that Carl was standing beside him. Carl was facing the family rather than Pepper.

“They are a tight family,” Pepper said.

Carl said, “You see those two men over there.”

“Yes,” Pepper answered.

“Do you know who they are?” Carl asked.

“I’m assuming that’s Hank and his son, Calvin,” Pepper answered.

“You know what they did for Sonny,” Carl said.

“I do,” Pepper said. He took a deep breath and said, “I guess I should go over there and talk to them.”

“That would be a good idea,” Carl said with a sharp nod of his head.

Pepper climbed down from his perch atop the corral rail. He headed over to the two men, walking like a man facing the gallows. He didn’t have a good feeling about this meeting.

Stepping up to the two men, Pepper said, “Hello, my name is Pepper. You probably know me by my reputation as the dumbest man alive.”

A smile almost made it to Hank’s face, but Calvin glared at Pepper.

Pepper said, “I apologize for my actions and any consequences they had on you. I ask your forgiveness.”

Calvin was not in a forgiving mood. He hauled off and hit Pepper right across the jaw. Stunned by the blow, Pepper fell down on the ground. Calvin was about to kick the man when Hank grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back.

He shouted, “Stop it.”

“Dad,” Calvin shouted in protest.

Everyone who had been greeting Sonny turned to watch what was happening. John was ready to go over and break it up, but Donny grabbed an arm to hold him back. He said, “Let them work this out.”

Hank said, “He’s apologized, son.”

“He got us in this mess,” Calvin said.

Pepper picked himself up from the ground. Looking at Hank, Pepper said, “I deserve his anger.”

Calvin struggled to get out of his father’s grip without any success. Hank looked down at him and said, “When you say the Lord’s Prayer, you are asking God to forgive your trespasses as you forgive those who trespass against you. This man has asked our forgiveness. Are you going to be a good man and forgive him?”

Pepper realized that he was at one of those crossroads that Carl had talked about. He looked over at Calvin who was glaring at him for a bit and then at his father for a bit. It was obvious to him that Calvin was not in a forgiving state of mind.

“Don’t force him to forgive me,” Pepper said holding up a hand.

Mrs. Daniels watched Pepper. It had torn her heart to see Sonny looking so weak. Her anger at and low opinion of Pepper had returned full force. She was impressed that he was taking the high road. It was the last thing that she had expected of him.

Surprised, Hank asked, “Why not?”

Pepper answered, “Words are cheap. Any fool can make utterances of great significance without understanding what it is he has said. I don’t know what happened back in Los Angeles. I can see that it affected you. I asked your forgiveness, but I’m not really sure what I’m asking you to forgive.

“Calvin is right in being angry. I’ve got a feeling that Calvin doesn’t know what I should be apologizing for, either. Before he can accept my apology he has to know what trespasses I’ve committed against him. I think that’s only fair.”

Craig leaned over to Carl and whispered, “Pepper has gotten a little smarter.”

“Yes, he has,” Carl whispered back.

Hank still held onto Calvin. He was reappraising Pepper, thinking that perhaps bringing him here where he could learn to be a real man had been a good idea.

He asked, “What do you suggest we do?”

“Let Calvin go. Let him make up his mind,” Pepper said. He stretched a little and settled in place fully expecting to get hit again.

Hank released Calvin and stepped back. Calvin took a step forward with his hand clenched into a tight fist. Pepper’s heart was pounding a hundred times a minute. There were no doubts in his mind that the younger man wanted to leave him on the ground as a bloody mess.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close