Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 27: Distorted Views From the Top

by Paladin: Have Gun – Will Travel

Cannon Air Force Base, near Clovis, New Mexico
0710 Hours
(7:10 AM) MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) (9:10 AM EDT) Thursday March 29th 2018

Despite the newly imposed strictures from the somewhat nebulous “powers that be” there was residual goodwill between the leaders of the Hidalgo Task Force and the leaders of the 27th Special Operations Wing. Colonel “Smiling Jack” Smith commander of the 27th SOW, and of Cannon AFB, made available to Colonel Stanislaus Wojciechowski a secure communications facility with a direct line to the Pentagon; at least long enough for him to initiate a request for assistance from an extremely high level of the US armed forces.

Stan has a pad of paper and two pens at hand. Picking up the receiver of the blue phone, and glancing at a string of numbers that he had been provided in his original orders, he began punching the Top Secret code on the face of what looked like a robust land-line phone to initiate the call. Over the receiver he heard three trills, then a series of clicks and tones, as someone on the other end of the line picked up.

A feminine voice said, “Office of the Vice Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force. How may I assist you, sir or ma’am?”

He said, “This is Colonel Wojciechowski, commanding Hidalgo Task Force. Urgent (1) priority. Prepare to copy. Bravo. Yankee. Golf. Six. Four. Tree. Niner. Zulu. Tango.”

She repeated the alphanumeric authentication, then said, “Please hold.”

Less than a minute later she said, “General Wilson is aware that you are on hold. He is attending to another matter. He should be with you shortly. I will notify you if there will be a delay.”

While he waited the hymn of the USAF played softly in the background; approximately three and a half minutes later the line went active and a pleasant voice said briskly, “General Wilson. Go.”

Colonel Wojciechowski said, “Sir. Two issues. We are authorized four M. Q. Niner R-P-A. Only one is present, and it is not currently operational, for an estimated six days. I know we were not scheduled to be operational, but circumstances have changed. We need those other three birds and their personnel and support. Damage to the M-C One-Thirty-Jay indicates the presence of the hostiles covers a much greater swath than has been calculated.”

He continued, “Issue two is interrelated. Colonel Smith and the personnel of the Twenty-Seventh have cooperated above and beyond. Until someone shut down their discretion. On my authority I have Read-On (2) Colonel Smith and other personnel with a Need to Know. I would appreciate if that discretion would be restored. That is all I ask.”

General Wilson said, “I am not fully Read-On to Operation Barbari ad Portus and your task force. I am aware of an investigation of an incident involving an aircraft of the Ninth Special Operations Squadron while flying in Mexican airspace. I don’t yet know the details. The investigation is ongoing. Classification seems to be ‘Burn Before Reading’ which has both General Goldfein (3) and me wondering.”

Stan said, “Sir, I am not sure how much I am authorized to reveal. I was aboard that aircraft when we got hit. Major Josephine Bach and the rest of her crew are superb. They kept their bird in the air and continued the mission. I was on the open tail ramp, hanging on for dear life, and observing some of the incoming projectiles. I am preparing recommendations for well earned awards for her and her crew. If there is an inquiry of her conduct, I request to make a formal statement.”

General Wilson asked, “Are you an aviator?”

Stan replied, “No sir, however, I have been on plenty of insertions and extractions. Marines and Army aviators, as well as Air Force. Major Bach is among the finest I have seen. Her mission was authorized at the highest levels. I will do everything I can to prevent her from being hung out to dry because someone’s panties are in a twist because they are concerned about after the fact matters. If you want I, or one of my key personnel will fly up and brief you. At least as much as I am allowed to divulge. I will recommend to my superiors that you be fully Read-On.”

General Wilson said, “Okay, I understand your perspective. I will keep your request to make a formal statement under advisement. I am not aware of anything negative about the performance of Major Bach or her crew. Yet. As I said, I am only aware of an inquiry about what happened to the aircraft. I expect to know something by the end of the day, and more by Monday.” Over the weekend I will consider your offer to get me Read-On.”

After a brief pause, General Wilson said, “Without being fully aware of what you are doing, I have been requested to take your calls. Requested. I am also to consider any reasonable requests to expedited matters if you are overly burdened with red tape or lack of cooperation by Air Force personnel. You have been succinct and reasonable. I will do what I can on the two specific issues you have requested. It is not a slight if I delegate one of my Aides to keep you updated. You may not know that “Goldie” is rated (4) for the M. Q. Nine, although his true love is the F-Sixteen Falcon. We are both monitoring what we are allowed of your operation.”

“Thank you, sir,” Stan said just before the line was disconnected.

(1) For some 150 years the US Army has used several classifications of priority in communication from telegraph messages, telegrams, radio, and now data; less commonly over the phone. However, use of Urgent is likely to get the attention of personnel who frequently use such designations. Some of those designations are, in order: Flash. Immediate. Urgent. Routine.

(2) Read-On: slang for authorization to know about Top Secret (Compartmentalized) matter. After an initial briefing personnel sign an NDA specifying the consequences of unauthorized disclosure.

(3) General David L. “Goldie” Goldfein the actual Chief of Staff (senior ranking officer) of the USAF July 2016 to Aug 2020. He is credited with advocating for JADC2 networking of real-time battle information to Joint Forces simultaneously (US Army/Air Force/Navy/Marines/ and select allied units); he also delegated greater autonomy to Squadron commanders as part of an effort to restore the Squadron as the principal warfighting unit of the USAF. General Steven W. Wilson was the VCoS USAF July 2016 to Nov 2020.

(4) Rated: aircraft a pilot is officially qualified to operate

A SCIF, Fort Meade, Maryland
1000 Hours (10:00 AM) EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) Friday March 30th 2018

Quincy Adams, special assistant to the President’s National security advisor had arrived long before anyone else. He was reviewing materials for the upcoming meeting and seemed distracted. There were bags under his eyes, he was unshaven and was removing his tie when George Smith the representative from the NRO arrived. Mr. Adams merely grunted in reply to Dr. Smith’s greeting; so, Smith sat down and focused on reviewing the newest data on the situation in Mexico.

The next person to arrive, some fifteen minutes before the scheduled start of the meeting was Ms. Casandra Lopez of the DIA. She noticed both men were engrossed in their data, so she took her seat and made her own preparations. At precisely ten minutes to Ten A.M. EDT, Mr. Abraham Lee, a former Treasury Agent, and the current representative from Homeland Security held open the door for Dr. Melba Lawson from the Office of Science and Technology Policy; unlike some feminists, she smiled warmly at the gentleman.

Last to arrive, with five minutes to spare was Special Operations Supervisor Raylan Walker the representative of Customs and Border Protection, he doffed his Stetson “Drifter” cowboy hat and said, “Dang! I’ve attended funerals where folks was happier.”

Mr. Adams sighed, then said in a deadpan manner, “We will wait five minutes. However, I expect we are the only ones to attend this mandatory meeting. I’m not sure if Mister Wilson will be back. Tomorrow is Rex Tillerson’s last day in office, not that Wilson was a fan of Secretary Tillerson.”

George Smith said, “Because of the nomination of Mike Pompeo to replace Tillerson, he is preparing to stepdown from his current duties as the Director of the C.I.A. So, I suppose there might be a change of representatives to this working group. Perhaps Miz von Bulow just doesn’t like some of us.”

Glancing at his watch Mr. Adams said, “This is not a social club, this is a duty. Perhaps there are shuffles of personnel at the State Department and C.I.A., but why isn’t Miz Ling present?”

Shrugging, George Smith suggested, “Her superiors at the No Such Agency probably don’t want to have to try to defend their determination to not change the orbits of any of their satellites to get better coverage of Mexico.”

“Damnit! Fiefdoms don’t matter! Why don’t these damn bureaucrats realize our nation is facing a serious threat! We need to work together to avert a tragedy!” Mr. Adams exclaimed.

Sounding more than a little like a professor delivering a lecture, Dr. Smith said, “Tragedy? Define what a tragedy is. Whom is it a tragedy for? Loss of life, whose lives? At least a million Hutu and Tsutsui died in Rwanda, did that change a single seat in Congress? Communist Chinese conquest of Tibet, and the decades of genocide, is that a tragedy? More Mexican citizens die each year in the wars between the various Narco cartels, and the Mexican and US governments are mostly bystanders. Is that a tragedy? Not increasing their annual budget by at least ten percent above the rate of inflation, or a rival agency getting a greater share of the budget. That is a tragedy for the highest-ranking permanent bureaucrats.”

Mr. Adams said, “Get serious George. We need to coordinate the preparations of the various agencies of our government to minimize the impact of this situation in Mexico upon the U.S.A.”

Smith replied, “I am being serious. Sarcastic, but serious. You are a good man, Quincy. Idealistic, and perhaps naïve, but you actually care about your duties. Bureaucrats are primarily concerned about budgets, in particular next year’s budget. Prerogatives and advantaging themselves over rivals are just behind their budgets in their concerns. Solving problems is too likely to result in a decreased budget next year.”

Mr. Adams said, “I know that we, and our organizations all agree that is best if we don’t directly involve POTUS. However, my boss, John Bolton is the President’s National Security Advisor. He is in close consultation with former General Mattis, the Sec. Def., Director Pompeo of the C.I.A., and speaks for POTUS in this matter.”

Shaking his head, Smith then said, “Unfortunately, Quincy, you are not respected. Your boss mister Bolton is not respected by many of the high ranking officials in the agencies comprising this working group. Nor do their minions respect him. Ignorantly, the minions probably have less respect for him, neither knowing, nor caring about his achievements in government service. Many if not most of the same people have little or no respect for POTUS Trump.”

He paused, then in the void of silence continued, “Supposedly they serve at the pleasure of the President. In reality they enjoy civil service and union protections if POTUS or his underlings were to attempt to fire them. Trump may try to fire them anyway. Personnel are policy. If he were as cunning as he thinks he is, he would have fired nearly all of them on his first day in office. Probably wouldn’t have gotten through the courts. Now he, and we are stuck with them. Get over it! We need to make practicable plans.”

Mr. Lee said, “If the majority of our agencies won’t do anything, why are we bothering making plans? We are just wasting our time.”

Ms. Lopez replied, “Contingency plans should be made. Reality will intrude into those bureaucrats’ turf battles and other petty agendas. One method to getting various bureaucracies to agree to an outside plan is to provide a feeling that they may deflect blame onto someone else.”

Agent Raylan Walker commented, “They are about to announce another commitment of National Guard soldiers to augment Customs and Border Protection. They are individual augmentees, not complete units. Some aren’t allowed to carry weapons, and those that do are issued little or no ammunition. However, if we could get some cooperation from the Guard Bureau (5) we could transition these individuals into advance parties for their parent units.”

Ms. Lopez said, “Not all of us have served in the armed forces. Even those of us who did, are probably not aware of the limitations on the Joint Chiefs of Staff. They, and the rest of the Pentagon are only Advisors to the Commander in Chief, POTUS, and other elements of the government. They also have planning and other administrative responsibilities.”

She paused to look at the people around the table, then continued, “Only the Commander-in-Chief, and through him the Secretaries of the Army, Navy, and other branches of the armed forces may issue orders to the various theater commanders and other combatant commanders.”

Again, she paused, looked each of her fellows in the eye, then said, “General Lengyel is the Chief of the National Guard Bureau, and is a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Unlike the others he has Operational authority. Congress has rather deliberately crafted the legislation relating to the National Guard since it’s creation more than a hundred years ago. There are other state and territorial militia units, but the National Guard is foremost. Unless called to Federal military duties, the National Guard is not subject to the restriction of Posse Comitatus.”

Mr. Lee asked, “What good does that do us? We don’t have a representative of the Guard Bureau as a member of our working group.”

Ms. Lopez said, “We could have a representative from them, as soon as Mister Adams authorizes it. I have a friend high up in the Guard Bureau. Former military, currently serving as a cyber security expert. The Defense Intelligence Agency, for whom I work, provides information to the Guard Bureau, along with the other Joint Chiefs. The National Guard of the various states already have contingency plans for defense of their states, and the U. S. Mexico border. They also prepare for dealing with refugees and maintaining civil order.”

Mr. Adams asked, “Mister Lee, how many personnel could Homeland Security deploy to the border areas to supplement our defenses?”

Consulting his notes for less than a minute, Mr. Lee said, “Perhaps some ten thousand personnel if an overt crisis were to develop. They would come from a variety of agencies, bringing various capabilities. Logistics would be an issue, almost immediately. Such a contingency is not in our budget.”

Smith asked, “How many would be armed?”

Clearing his throat first, Mr. Lee said, “Four thousand, or so. It could be possible to arm as many as six thousand, in my estimation. However, those additional two thousand would be support personnel whose duties don’t typically include law enforcement or security duties. Personnel from the Transportation Security Agency and others are not trained in the use of firearms.”

Mr. Adams asked, “How many personnel could be deployed in the next fifteen days?”

Mr. Lee shrugged his shoulders, and said, “Possibly a couple of hundred. Fifteen hundred at most. The majority of them would be T.S.A. agents. Unarmed. To monitor train and bus stations, and regional airports.”

Turning to Agent Walker, Mr. Adams asked, “What can Customs and Border Protection do to increase border security?”

With a grimace, Agent Walker said, “Not a lot more. This is a renewal of an ongoing program with the National Guard. There are some increases, and a few additional capabilities, but they won’t take effect immediately. Due to an increase of legal and illegal border crossings from Mexico, we have already added personnel to the U.S. Mexico border.”

Agent Walker consulted his notes, then looked off into the distance for a couple moments before saying, “If we could get rapid augmentation from the National Guard up on the Canadian border, we could transfer a few more trained agents down south. Not many, but they would be experienced. If we could get authorization to pair Guardsmen with Border Patrol Agents it would be a force multiplier.”

Mr. Adams asked, “How do you usually utilize members of the National Guard?”

Agent Walker stated, “Because they do not have law enforcement authority, the Guard usually occupy Observation Posts, with orders to disengage if approached or threatened. Other members of the Guard perform administrative or other service duties, or fly drones, and such. Lack of training, as well as legal authority are the official reasons, even though many members of the National Guard have some training for civil disturbances. Some are law enforcement officers back home, or are Military Police. Concerns about casualties to the Guardsmen ... or Incidents with foreign nationals are also big concerns.”

Ms. Lopez asked, “Agent Walker, you repeatedly said, Guardsmen. Are they all men?”

Raylan Walker grinned as he looked at her, before saying, “No ma’am. Just a manner of speaking. Approximately ten or fifteen percent of the volunteers we get from the various National Guard units are females. The female volunteers mostly perform supporting duties. In the field I have only worked with men from the National Guard. I didn’t intend any offense.”

Ms. Lopez smiled, and it seemed genuine, she then said, “No offense taken. I was curious. Because some fifteen to twenty percent of the armed forces are women.”

Agent Walker said, “The National Guard consists of a disproportionate amount of Combat Arms units. The Reserves tend to be mostly Service and Support units. Furthermore, the majority of our volunteers come from Combat Arms units. We do get some augmentees from the Reserve components of the armed forces, but that is not part of the program we were discussing.”

Mr. Adams said, “Now that we have cleared that up. Could a greater commitment of the National Guard be a useful addition to border security, and perhaps other missions?”

Walker said, “Sure, a greater commitment of personnel could be put to effective use. My superiors would be receptive to many proposals. We have decades of experience working with the men and women of the National Guard. Understand that on average a Million foreign nationals illegally immigrate to the U.S.A. Typically, half of them overstay student or other visas.”

He looked at the others in the SCIF, then said, “Due to the situation in Chihuahua, there is a greater than normal, and increasing flow of people seeking to escape Mexico and enter the U.S.A. Many of these people have no experience crossing illegally, and are rather easy to catch. What we do with them has already become a problem, and rapidly is becoming a crisis. We need to make preparations for that.”

Smith said, “Although it could set off the conspiracy theorists by establishing Fee-Ma camps, it is time to deploy the Federal Emergency Management Agency. We should probably get FEMA to assign someone to our working group.”

“That sound like a reasonable idea. Is there anyone opposed?” Asked Mr. Adams, as he glanced around the conference table; nobody appeared happy with the proposal, but neither did anyone speak up.

Turning to Ms. Lopez, Mr. Adams asked, “Does the Defense Intelligence Agency have information to share with the rest of us?”

Frowning and shaking her head, Ms. Lopez then said, “No. We have never had much emphasis on Mexico. Even in the best of times there is minimal cooperation with our Military Attachés. We have inserted two members of our agency into the embassy in Mexico City. We are requesting an unscheduled shuffle to place some personnel, some of whom are not members of the D.I.A. to serve as, or alongside the attachés and other observers.”

She glanced at her tablet, then said, “We are requesting to be able to attach observers to Military Region Eleven, which includes the state of Chihuahua, and its subordinate commands Military Zones Five and Forty-Two. Also, in Military Zone Six in Coahuila state. We are also trying to insert official observers into Military Region Two, into the state of Sonora, which borders on Arizona and western New Mexico. We are dealing with significant resistance. As far as we can tell it is routine intransigence, and not anything specifically related to the situation developing in Chihuahua.”

Mr. Adams asked, “If you cannot get any official observers assigned to the area of hostile operations, is there any other means of generating reliable intelligence?”

Ms. Lopez replied, “We are processing some Sig-Int (6) from both the N.S.A. and N.R.O. but we haven’t been able to convince anyone to re-task any of our National Technical Means to get any ground imagery. We don’t have any assets on the ground, currently.”

Mr. Adams scrutinized the representative of the D.I.A., but she didn’t seem to hinting that she was aware of Operation Nightingale. Technically not a “Black Op” it was a very dark shade of gray. While Adams was willing to share information acquired by the Nightingales with the rest of the working group. So far, only Dr. Smith was aware that eight American personnel were deployed in direct support of an isolated group of Mexican soldiers.

Mr. Adams looked over and asked, “Doctor Smith?”

Smith shook his head, then said, “I’m on my way out the door and don’t have that kind of influence. I am trying to ensure my replacement is competent. I do recommend that we include someone from the ‘Nat-Geo’ (7) guys. They may be easier to convince to share imagery of the ground in Chihuahua and the surrounding areas.”

Mr. Adams looked around the room, and then said, “I had hoped that we would have more information to share, so that we could develop some contingency plans for a more coordinated response to the situation in Chihuahua. Lacking cooperation from some of the key intelligence agencies. Specifically a reluctance to re-task assets and focus resources to Mexico. So, unless anyone has anything else, I motion that we adjourn.”

Dr. Melba Lawson spoke up, “Mister Adams, would you get me access to the damaged aircraft at Cannon Air Force Base in New Mexico. Inadvertently, or deliberately, the Office of Science and Technology Policy is being excluded. Yet, those people keeping us in the dark act frustrated when we cannot provide them any reasonable theories without access to the aircraft and what damaged it. My superiors would prefer that I and two of my colleagues be granted direct access. Would you be willing to let your Colonel vet us and get us Read-On?”

His brow furrowed, Mr. Adams said, “uh. Yes. Of course, Doctor Lawson. If I cannot grant authority myself, I will get my boss, Mister Bolton to make arraignments. There, uh, shouldn’t be any difficulties getting you and your companions cleared. Please provide me the names. As long as they already have a top secret clearance, we should be able to expedite matters.”

Smiling before she replied, Dr. Lawson said, “Thank you mister Adams. I presumed you would want our analysis as soon as possible. We will be able to depart Saturday morning. Possibly this evening.”

Mr. Adams mumbled, “umm ... I’m not sure if we can arrange a flight from Andrews to Cannon quite that quickly ... for civilians –”

Blithely Dr. Lawson interrupted him, saying, “We are used to such difficulties and we will fly commercial to D-F-W, Denver, or El Paso, then hop a commuter flight to Clovis, New Mexico. I trust we won’t have any difficulties getting on base.”

Gathering himself, Mr. Adams replied, “I will see to it myself. I will provide you with contact numbers for Colonel Martinez, the Executive Officer of the Hidalgo Task Force, and Lieutenant Commander Ellis. If you have any difficulties call them and they should be able to resolve matters. They should have rooms available at the Flat Rock Inn, on base where they are staying while their compound is being constructed.”

Grinning, before she replied, Dr. Lawson said, “That should be satisfactory. Thank you, mister Adams.”

(5) “Guard Bureau: the National Guard Bureau, the Chief of the NGB is a member of the JCS, and also in the Chain-of-Command of the various units of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and Territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, and Samoa

(6) Sig-Int: Signals Intelligence; intercepting and deciphering/translating voice, data, and other transmissions

(7) “Nat-Geo”: National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (formerly the Defense Mapping Agency)

Jefatura Ejercito Mexicano (HQ of the Mexican Army), Mexico City
9:30 AM ZCT (Zona Centro) Friday March 30th 2018{br}

(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Teniente Coronel Enríquez Diplomado de Estado Mayor (Graduate of the General Staff {school}) had to briefly review the ongoing military security planning for the annual Labor Day celebrations on May 1st. Next, he carefully turned the dial to unlock one of the safes in his office. He then took out the binder of folders containing his notes, and a copy of his report to General Brigadier Mondovi, Enríquez ‘s superior on the General Staff. Enríquez then reviewed those materials, jotting down some further notes on a yellow pad.

Teniente Coronel Enríquez paused for a couple of minutes, sitting quietly before unlocking the cabinet containing his encrypted phone and entering the code for the secure line to Zona Militar 5/a and listening to the tone indicating that it was ringing at the headquarters up in the city of Chihuahua.

It took nearly a minute for someone to answer the phone, they said, “Jefatura Zona Militar Cinco, Mayor Gutiérrez speaking.”

Teniente Coronel Enríquez brusquely said, “Put Teniente Coronel Jiménez on the line immediately.”

After a couple of minutes, the phone was picked up, “Teniente Coronel Jiménez speaking. Whom is this?”

Teniente Coronel Enríquez from the Jefatura Ejercito Mexicano, Estado Mayo Sección. You were directed to return my call yesterday. Why did you not?”

Teniente Coronel Olivier Jiménez replied, “I am not aware of any directive to report to you, nor anyone else of the Estado Mayor. I report to General Brigadier Allende. He, or someone he designates reports to officials in Secretariat of the Interior. We use secure communications at the Centro de Justica when we make daily consultations with the Federales.”

Briefly he consulted his notes, then Teniente Coronel Enríquez said, “Ah. Well, I Will not hold you responsible. Yesterday, at precisely Eleven-Zero-Four Hours, I spoke to a Mayor Valdez. He was unable to provide sensible information on your operation to secure Cuauhtémoc. The deadline for General Brigadier Allende and Zona Militar Cinco to fulfil your responsibilities is fast approaching. I require an accurate report from you, to provide to the highest levels. Probably the Secretariate of Defense.”

Silence filled the line for at least thirty seconds before Teniente Coronel Jiménez said, “Has this now become an exclusively military matter?”

There was a pause before Teniente Coronel Enríquez replied, “The Secretariate of the Interior is still responsible for this mess. However, the military high command must be aware of the true situation.”

There was a sigh that could be heard over the phone line before Teniente Coronel Jiménez said, “The political situation in Mexico City is opaque to me. It has become clear to me that this is not merely a matter of restoring order in Cuauhtémoc. The Federales and others in the Secretariate of the Interior know much more about the situation there, and elsewhere than we do. I don’t know what I don’t know, so, I am not sure what to report.”

Teniente Coronel Enríquez said, “We are both military men. Do your duty. Just report the military facts as you know them. Do not speculate. We are not responsible for the other matters. Report only what pertains to the military situation. Will you occupy Cuauhtémoc on time? If not, when?”

Another long pause occurred before Teniente Coronel Jiménez said, “We were never provided a realistic estimation of the threat we are facing. We are being attacked by more than one Brigade of enemy forces. I have been told there are more than ten to twenty-five thousand enemy forces. It seems we have inflicted thousands of casualties upon the enemy, but numbers are uncertain because our only soldiers or police to survive have retreated.”

Jiménez asked, “Who are we fighting? Who is the enemy? This is not unrest, or Narco Gangs, not even indigenous forces. How did foreigners get in the middle of Mexico? They have anti-aircraft weapons, and anti-armor weapons. They can defeat the Federales and our army units. How can we effectively fight an enemy we know nothing useful about?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close