Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 26: Things Could Be Worse

by Paladin: Have Gun – Will Travel

2km west of San Andres, Riva Palacio, 45 km ENE of Cuauhtémoc, 55 km West of the city of Chihuahua
1810 Hours (18:10 PM) ZPT (7:10 PM MDT) Thursday March 29th 2018{br}

(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; Spanish in italics)

About ten minutes ago the soldiers assigned or attached to the 25/a Batallón de Infantería stopped their work on their fighting positions, for the day. As the men headed off to chow served from the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer); typically the Platoon Leaders, all young lieutenants took charge of a small number of guards providing security while the rest of the battalion ate dinner. Because elements of the Cazadores Platoon had conducted reconnaissance missions early in the day, only one officer and four men would be guarding each of the four sectors of the battalion defensive position.

It took a little persuasion by Coronel Casmir Ehiztari to get Teniente Coronel Heraldo de Ribera and the other senior officers of the 25/a Batallon de Infantería to agree to all of the officers performing infantry duties, as well as all of the sergeants to participate in this particular briefing. It was essential to the future plans of the USA personnel to modify the attitudes of the Mexican officers, NCOs, and even the lower ranking enlisted men; in particular, change perceptions of what NCOs are capable of doing.

The Mexican Army is typical of most armed forces the world over. Officers are the backbone and the brains, NCOs (Sergeants and Corporals) are the few career enlisted men; they are subject matter experts and provide the primary training for the new soldiers who are conscripted, or more commonly in the 21st century voluntarily enlist. Enlisted personnel typically don’t get much respect. In most nations there is a class divide between officers and enlisted personnel (from before they join the armed forces).

In the USA there are some class differences in society, but the vast majority of the armed forces are from ‘middle-class’ backgrounds. Very few people from extremely wealthy backgrounds join the US armed forces. Few persons from low economic backgrounds join either; mostly because of educational requirements and other issues that typically preclude enlistment. Many people join to get money for a college education, but more than a few already have at least some college credits from before they join. Many of the NCOs who have attained pay grade E-6 and above have at least an Associates Degree. Nearly all officers have at least Bachelors Degree, which is a requirement to receive a commission; however, since the 1970’s they are not that socially different from many of the enlisted personnel.

Myths about veteran NCOs and tragically inexperienced “90-Day Wonders” abound in movies and TV shows about the USA in the Second World War. In reality many of the pre-war NCOs were sent to OCS and became officers. Most of the new NCOs from 1942-45 volunteered, or were drafted and had even less time to be trained to become NCOs, than the “90 Day Wonders” in fact those young officers were often the ones who conducted much of the training for the draftee soldiers. (Too often the officers were trained the day, or even the night before they would conduct the training of their men.)

There were a small number of the legendary “Leather-Lunged” NCOs, some were the battalion and regimental Sergeants Major of the existing and many newly formed units. Others were the cadre that taught the personnel selected to become NCOs. Those few career NCOs were the basis for many myths about US Army NCOs. (It wasn’t much different for Navy and Marine NCOs too.) Before 1940 the US Army had fewer officers than Portugal, Switzerland, or more than 20 other nations; so, NCOs did have a lot of responsibility in the 1920’s and 1930’s.

Similarly, in the aftermath of the American Civil War there were very few officers commissioned from West Point, or anywhere else. Promotion was slow, sometimes a decade or more for even junior officers. Some officers retired as Captains after 30 years of service, a few as Lieutenants. (Several of the US Army Generals in the Spanish American War in 1899 had served in the ACW 1861-1865!) During the “Small Wars” in the western USA or expeditions to Central America there were a lot of small unit actions (Squads or Platoons). NCOs were essential, and were tasked with significant responsibilities; eventually earning respect from their officers and enlisted men too.

The USA ended the Draft in the early 1970’s (having been continuous since early in World War Two). The transition to an “All Volunteer Army” took about a decade. By the 1980’s the NCO in the US armed forces were, for the most part, well educated, and generally respected by both officers and lower ranking enlisted men. Conflicts from Grenada, to Panama, Desert Storm, the former Yugoslavia, peace keeping missions in the Saini, Somalia and elsewhere; not to mention the “Global War on Terror” have made the majority of these well-trained NCOs Combat veterans too.

Governments jealously guard their exclusive prerogative to employ military force. Drafting shlubs to be “Cannon Fodder” (Infantry), clerks, cooks, truck drivers, and the other pedestrian tasks, is necessary, and it doesn’t pose a serious threat to even draconian states such as Communist China, Russia, or Venezuela. “Grunts” the PBI (1) don’t receive much, if any, realistic training (in most nations armed forces); more importantly any initiative, and leadership is discouraged, often harshly.

Conscripts (or even volunteers) in most armed forces only serve for two, or in some cases maybe three years. They are provided minimal training, enough to serve as Myrmidons to enforce the will of their governments. NCOs are few, mostly they enforce the discipline ordered by the officers. Common soldiers are not trusted by their governments. Officers may not always be respected by the higher classes (or even most people) in their nations; but they are Members of The Party, and were born into the “elite” classes of their nation.

An exception to this are special forces of various types and with a plethora of different designations. Most of the members of special forces are carefully selected NCOs; even small teams of four to ten are usually led by officers. Various nations have a multitude of concerns about effective military training being disseminated amongst their populations. The government of Mexico’s primary concern are the Narco cartels and the decades long conflicts, resulting in tens of thousands of murders every year.

A case in point is the Los Zetas cartel, the founders and most key members are former members of Mexican Army special forces. Some if not most of the cartels are also actively seeking the well-trained members of the various special forces units of the Mexican armed forces. Ordinary soldiers are not particularly desirable (nor does it seem that many who served in the Mexican armed forces choose to join the cartels). Mexican police are notoriously underpaid and that contributes to corruption.

The Nightingales are attempting to overcome decades (actually two centuries) of preconceptions and history. Several factors are in their favor. First, all of the Nightingales are veteran NCOs (former NCOs in the cases of Cid Osorio and Bernardo Suarez) and are confident about what well-trained and motivate NCOs are capable of. Second, Teniente Coronel de Ribera has created a command environment that has nurtured his NCOs. Third, several of the NCOs performed superbly in combat; in particular Sargento Primero Torrez led the 3rd Company when all the officers became casualties.

By order of the Battalion Commanding Officer (CO) LTC de Ribera, for the duration of the meeting a Cabo (Corporal) {Squad Leader}would be in charge of each of the four defensive sectors until one of the lieutenants returned from the briefing. It was an unheard-of situation, and several of the officers arched their eyebrows, or had other facial expressions, but no one said anything about it to the colonel. The NCOs (almost all sergeants) were quite circumspect.

Present for the briefing were all five officers serving as the battalion headquarters: LTC de Ribera, the CO, Mayor Raphael Jiménez, the XO, Captain Primero Rangel, the acting S-3 (Operations Officer), Captain Segundo Gomez Garcia, the acting S-4 (Logistics Officer), and Subteniente Villanueva the colonel’s ADC and acting S-1 (Personnel Officer/Adjutant). None of those five officers had been wounded in the ambush or aftermath. Also attending is Sargento Mayor Carlos Dominguez, although he had significant wounds, he is recovering, but is not yet fit for duty.

Four members of the 16-man Cazadores Peloton (Recon Platoon) were present for the briefing, all were healthy and fit for duty. Teniente Leon Mercucio the Platoon Leader, and also (nominally) the acting S-2 (Intelligence Officer). His Platoon Sergeant: Sargento Segundo Espinoza, and two Squad (Team) Leaders: Cabo Pineda and Cabo Silva. (The only two corporals attending the meeting. Coronel de Ribera acknowledged their presence, so no one spoke out. Pineda and Silva seemed more comfortable than several of the sergeants here for the meeting.)

Present from 1/a Compania Fusileros is Captain Primero Alberto Guerrero, the CO; he is unwounded. Both of his original Platoon Leaders are present, but both are walking wounded, but capable of performing their duties. The Company First Sergeant and both Platoon Sergeants are present, and among the more confident NCOs in the battalion.

From the 2nd Company is Captain Segundo Bautista, the acting CO, and former XO. During the battle of Cuauhtémoc, the CO was KIA, also both Platoon Leaders and one of the Platoon Sergeants became MIA-PD (2) so, the only other officer in the company is Teniente Becerra; a week ago he was the PL of the 3rd Platoon of the 1st Company, when the battalion was reorganized to liberate Cuauhtémoc, he was assigned to command an ad-hoc Security Platoon to protect the Service and Support elements of the Battalion, and attached from the 5th Military Zone.

The 2/a Compania Fusileros took the highest percentage of casualties (other than the Bn HQ), and has been partially brought up to strength by personnel from the ad-hoc security platoon and volunteers from various service and support detachments. With only two officers Captain Bautista decided to reorganize his unit without any platoons, using Teniente Becerra as a defacto XO. The Company First Sergeant Sargento Primero Cavadas was walking wounded, vigorous, but somewhat hampered by a TBI. Sargento Segundo Román, the 2nd Platoon Sergeant was now acting as the Company Guide. They have many junior NCOs, but few of them were trained to be infantry.

The 3/a Compania Fusileros was a little better off than the 2nd. The assigned CO was on leave when the orders came down. The acting CO was KIA in the Battle of Cuauhtémoc, and the XO was WIA. Thanks to the efforts of Cirujano (3) Mayor Suarez a crossbow bolt that was threatening his femoral artery had been removed, and his prognosis was good; however, at best, in 72-96 hours he might be capable of limited administrative duties.

One of the Third’s Platoon Leaders was MIA-PD, the other was WIA, recently upgraded from Critical to Serious and now Stable. Both Platoon Sergeants are walking wounded. The First Sergeant Sargento Primero Torrez had received a couple of minor wounds, they did not stop him from taking charge of the company during a critical moment during the Battle of Cuauhtémoc. Captain Segundo Rivera was the XO of the 1st Company, but is now the acting CO of the 3rd. Two logistics officers volunteered to serve as Platoon Leaders; they had been encouraged to listen to advice from the senior Infantry NCOs.

During the Battle of Cuauhtémoc, the 4/a Compania Granaderos had been split up to provide fire support to the three Line Companies. The CO was now the acting Bn S-3, and the XO is the acting CO. One of the Platoon Leaders is MIA-PD. About half of the personnel assigned to the 4th Company would be crewing the mortars and other heavy weapons. The rest have been formed into an ad-hoc Infantry Platoon, and along with an understrength Engineer Platoon they are tasked to defend the eastern perimeter (furthest from the enemy).

As part of his briefing, Mayor Jiménez, the Bn XO, summarized the above information, he continued, “Combining the most recent casualty report and the manning roster, we are in better condition than we were yesterday. Of four hundred and fifty-five personnel who deployed at ten-twenty-five hours, twenty-seven March, we have two-hundred fifty-four personnel fit for duty. That includes twenty-five walking wounded, and twenty-three more with significant wounds, but capable of bearing arms.”

Mayor Jiménez looked up, then continued his briefing, “We have twenty-one officers fit for duty. Thirteen are Infantry Officers, plus we have two other officers who have volunteered to serve as Infantry Platoon Leaders. We have two medical officers, and a medical service officer, as well as three logistics officers, one who is serving as our acting battalion S-Four.”

Looking at Coronel Ehiztari, Mayor Jiménez said, “That does not include the eight officers who have recently arrived. Some of whom have provided vital medical care, saving several lives. Others are here as advisors and observers.”

Continuing, Mayor Jiménez said, “We have forty-nine wounded under care. Eight of them are serious, but stable, and are expected to survive, but they should be transported to a hospital when practicable. Nine of our comrades were killed in action, and their bodies were recovered. Another twenty-one have died of their wounds despite heroic efforts of our medical personnel and volunteers. All thirty are interred in our temporary cemetery.”

For the first time Mayor Jiménez appeared tired as he said, “Tragically we have one-hundred and twenty-two officers and men unaccounted for.”

Mayor Jiménez flipped a couple of pages, then said, “Construction of our defensive positions is progressing at a moderate pace. We are conserving the energy of our men for the coming battle. Our western, southern, and northern defenses are mostly complete, except for camouflage. I have complied a list of deficiencies that the Colonel and I expect to be rectified in the next forty-eight hours. Preferably less.”

Pausing to glance at the three infantry company COs, Mayor Jiménez then said, “The Fourth Company has been occupied with sighting in, and digging positions for the two, new, one-hundred-twenty-millimeter mortars, among other things. We all appreciate the assistance the Engineer Platoon has been providing all of us. Thus, after breakfast tomorrow, I want eight volunteers from each of the Infantry Companies to assist in completing the defenses for the eastern sector. They will report to Captain Segundo Castaneda.”

Closing his notebook, Mayor Jiménez said, “The razor-wire barrier was hastily emplaced. Each company will be responsible for ensuring that it is improved, additional anchor stakes set, and that there are not traversable gaps. The Engineers and Mayor Valesco will emplace trip flares and booby-traps to inconvenience any attempting to penetrate the wire. Be aware that Captain Garcia may need some troops for details. If he makes a reasonable request, consider it as if I or Coronel de Ribera were making it. Any Questions?”

There were no questions raised, so, at a nod from Teniente Coronel de Ribera, Coronel Ehiztari stepped to the front and said, “It is my honor to be with you. You have fought better against our enemy than anyone else, so far. Analysis of the videos I am about to show you concluded that most any other regional battalion of the Mexican Army would have been annihilated.”

Ehiztari paused to let those words sink in before saying, “To answer a few questions you may be reluctant to ask. Because you were under the Operational Control (“Op-Con”) of the Interior Ministry at the request of the Federal Police, the headquarters I answer to did not have any official notification about your mission to liberate Cuauhtémoc. A Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) (4) was only able to arrive on station just as you were ambushed. We have been able to get data from a reconnaissance flight in the last twenty-four hours. We are not priority for RPA flights, or other aircraft. We will share with you what we do get.”

Using his laser pointer to indicate the tarp that had been jerry-rigged as a screen, Ehiztari said, “Mayor Valesco please start the first video. As you can see the RPA is approaching the eastern outskirts of Cuauhtémoc when they observed your column approaching, and turned the RPA east to observe your activities. That is when the Mission Specialist noticed something unusual just outside of the urban area, paralleling Carretera Federal Sixteen.”

At a signal from Ehiztari, Valesco paused the video; using his laser pointer to indicate what he was talking about, Ehiztari said, “When he realized these locations were field fortifications, the senior officer immediately placed a call to his superiors. Neither the people monitoring the RPA, nor their superiors had any way of directly contacting you in the field. The RPA was there to observe your operations against Mexican insurgents in Cuauhtémoc. No one was aware of the force about to attack your unit.”

Valesco restarted the video, as the early part of the ambush was depicted, Ehizarti commented, “Our enemy camouflaged their redoubts quite effectively. From ground level. It doesn’t seem they made any specific effort to conceal themselves from aerial observation. It is hoped that if we can get additional airborne platforms at least for observation we might gain advantages. Possibly without them knowing.”

“Experts are analyzing images of the weapons that fired the incendiary and other projectiles at your vehicles and personnel. Speculation that they are torsion powered weapons similar to Ballista used by the Romans and medieval armies seems to fit the data. Greek Fire, or something similar to napalm is the consensus of the eggheads. No one knows why it burns with a greenish-purplish hue. They are demanding a lot of answers of us. We have more important concerns. If they want to know They can come out here and Join Us.” Ehiztari said.

There were murmurs of agreement from the audience; Ehiztari signaled to Valesco to restart the video, as Ehiztari said, “Unfortunately, no one in Mexico City, nor anywhere else has an accurate count of the invaders. There are not even any good estimates. The officers and men of the Twenty Fifth Infantry Battalion held off more attackers than most people are willing to believe are here in the state of Chihuahua. You succeeded despite being surprised, and caught in the open. Defending a prepared position, we should perform even better.”

As Ehiztari spoke the images continued to depict the scale of the forces involved in the battle that none of the Mexican officers had been able to comprehend while fighting for their lives; Ehizarti emphasized, “Thirty thousand combatants were present on the battlefield. You were outnumbered more than sixty to one. Superior firepower. Courage. Discipline, and good tactics denied the enemy a near certain victory. The enemy plotted cleverly, showed equal courage and determination, utilizing advantages of position and overwhelming numbers. You fought better, and disengaged despite aggressive attempts to encircle you all.”

For the next fifteen minutes Ehizarti continued the briefing about the Battle of Cuauhtémoc; combining a detached assessment from the overview provided by the RPA and various experts Ehizarti had access to before Operation Nightingale deployed, and an integrated perspective of specific activities of the individual Companies during the battle. AARs (5) are intended to learn lessons from a battle or training exercise to improve future operations; Ehiztari was also calculating to strengthen the morale of the Mexicans for the upcoming battles.

{Terms such as "Trolls" "Orcs" "Urk-Hai" "Goblins" and such, came from USN Lieutenant Commander Akira Ellis; several of the Mexican officers recognize the references from the books of JRR Tolkien, or the movies based upon them.}

Valesco put up a still image at a gesture from Ehiztari, he then said, “Trolls pose the greatest threat. Perhaps even more than overwhelming numbers. As much courage as the enemy has displayed, your tactics and firepower broke their attacks, most of the time. Trolls seem to encourage the enemy, for obvious reasons. Their demise should hurt the enemy’s morale. Our only certain weapon are the Karl Gustav recoilless rifles that you used to kill several Trolls. We brought four Anti-Material Rifles that fire fifty caliber bullets. We will train several of your soldiers how to shoot them effectively.”

Ehiztari said, “Before I turn this briefing back over to Teniente Coronel de Ribera, I will welcome some questions.”

Ehiztari is a chameleon, often he projects an intimidating aura, yet when he wishes, he is a “Grey Man” fading into the background. For this mission he is trying to give the impression of patrician deportment, but also a hint of kindly paternalism, so that the young Mexican soldiers would be willing to interact with him, and not just respond with how they thought he wanted, without actually understanding what they needed to know so that they all had the best chance to survive.

It seemed that, at least for now, Ehiztari had achieved the balance he sought. While at first only a couple of the bolder officers, Mayor Jiménez, Captain Primero Guerrero, and Teniente Mercucio asked pointed questions. When they received thoughtful answers from Ehiztari; or at times he invited Valesco, or the unit’s own officers to answer questions; more officers and even a few NCOs were willing to ask further questions. Cabo Pineda and Cabo Silva of the Cazadores Peloton asked some of the best questions.

(1) PBI: “Poor Bloody Infantry”

(2) MIA-PD: Missing In Action – Presumed Dead

(3) Cirujano: Spanish for Surgeon; Mexican Army rank of Major is Mayor

(4) according to the 2018 Military Balance the Mexican Army only had 3 RPAs; The Hidalgo Task Force has only 1 of 4 assigned RPAs; Ehiztari is implying he is a member of the Mexican Army without telling any lies, if possible

(5) AAR: After Action Review

Camp of Ban ad Artae (Northern Corps) on the NE outskirts of Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua state
Evening
(approximately 7:30 PM MDT/6:30 PM ZPT) Thursday March 29th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in the “Common Tongue” or military Lingo; words in Italics are in the Imperial Language aka ‘Polite Speech’)

Tacticus Aubrey strode several hundred paces from the last Chirurgeon’s tent before he paused to take several deep breaths. The air here is hardly clean. Nearby are encamped tens of thousands of soldiers, auxiliaries, servants, camp followers, and slaves, as well as all of the cavalry mounts, beasts of burden, and those used for meat. Discipline is strict for the Imperial forces of the Basilieus, nonetheless, some slovenly gits would be too lazy to use the latrine pits; even if most would be caught and punished. Nor is bathing frequent for many in the field. At least he was far enough away from the sharp scents of lye and bleach-water, the coppery tang of blood, and the stench of guts.

It would have been much worse had not Desportes Lazula been true to his word. Of course, the Lord Beyond the Portal is an honorable person, entrusted by the Basilieus to seize more lands and resources for the empire. Decades before his recent appointment as a Desportes, Kyrios Lazula and his Clan have been Patroni of Aubrey’s family and Clan. They are distant relations of the same Tribe. Loyalty is most secure when it is honored both ways, as it has been by the Clan of Lazula’s family and the Clans of many of the senior officers under his command.

As promised, Desportes Lazula had dispatched Archigenes, his personal physician, a Magi Magister Asclepius, and several other healers with magical abilities, as well as numerous chirurgeons, their assistants and others to preserve the lives of as many wounded soldiers and auxiliaries, in particular the Laestrygonians (6) and other non-human Auxilia of the Basilieus. Aubrey had thought he was knowledgeable about the most common races that serve as Auxilia, as well as some of the less common species; such knowledge is essential to prudent men who venture beyond Pangea.

Although this is his first campaign as a Tacitus, this was not his first campaign venturing Vastitus ad Portus. Albeit most of his military experience has been suppressing bandits and brigands, or pacifying regions of unrest in lands that were first conquered generations, or even centuries ago. Of course, to be considered for his present rank and position, he had participated in campaigns waged upon newly discovered lands, though not in the first wave of expansion.

This expedition was not even halfway into the second ten-day and they were facing much more challenging opposition than Aubrey had ever heard of. Perhaps Tacticus Nicodèmes could enlighten him? Nicodèmes was the only Tacitus in the Ban ad Arte younger than Aubrey; both of them were uncommonly young to be commanders in a first wave of a conquest. The denizens of this world were supposedly barbarians, no powerful practitioners of magic had been detected.

According to what he had been told, the Magi had detected no traces of civilization. Rumors of plentiful mineral wealth and other treasures ripe for the taking are rife. Whispers of plentiful mana “wells” or ley lines, or other wonders comprehensible only to members of the Collegium of Magi, and they were notoriously closed mouth. Other than Magister Myron, he seemed to be a jolly chatterbox, Aubrey often had to tactfully disengage from rambling conversations with Myron. Still, Aubrey always thought he learned something from those conversations. Myron always seemed satisfied too.

Actually, it wasn’t that the Magi didn’t talk. They didn’t wish to converse. Dictating to the leaders of the military expedition seemed more to their taste. Desportes Lazula, and Aubrey’s immediate superior Drax Ulrich, both emphasized that military officers should be courteous and cooperative with the Magi who provided essential services, however, the Magi should also respect the Chain of Command, and not forget this was a military expedition.

Aubrey was shocked to witness several of the Laestrygonians and their half-blood brethren felled by the weapons of these barbarians. Feats such as that could only be performed by powerful magics, or legendary champions. Courage and discipline could well be applied to the foes that Tacitus Aubrey and his forces fought the other day. Legendary champions? They were not at all figures from any stories he had ever heard or read about.

Laestrygonians are nearly impossible to kill. Hide tougher than rocks, for it is not brittle like stones, rather it has similarities to both granite and layers of leather. Impervious to both blade and hammer. Supposedly they are resistant to poisons, and even magics. Their half-blood brethren are not nearly as invulnerable, however, they are far more clever, and capable of bearing heavy armor and wielding incredible weapons. Yet several of the explosive projectiles laid these mighty warriors low; seemingly dead.

Archigenes, the Magi Magister Asclepius in the personal service of Desportes Lazula had been requested to see what was practicable to expedite the return to duty of Grom Phah-Tah, one of the mightiest leaders of the Auxilia of Drax Ulrich. Grom Phah-Tah and his troops were temporarily attached to Tacitus Aubrey’s command, and the warband leader had been grievously wounded in the recent battle. Grom Phah-Tah was not quite as tough as a half-blood Laestrygonians, nor could he wear armor as heavy; yet he was much stronger than an average human.

Grom Phah-Tah was as tall as Tacitus Aubrey who is head and shoulders taller than most of the men in his service. Grom Phah-Tah easily weighs half-again as much as Aubrey, an athletic man; the non-human is densely muscled, with vulpine reflexes. It is whispered that Grom Phah-Tah and others like him are selectively bred (or perhaps metamorphosed with arcane arts). His kind are a small but growing faction among the Auxilia. Grom Phah-Tah is also wickedly clever and cunning.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close