Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 18 Digging In

2km west of San Andres, Riva Palacio, 45 km ENE of Cuauhtémoc, 55 km West of the city of Chihuahua
1400 Hours
(2:00 PM) ZPT (3:00 PM MST) Wednesday March 28th 2018
(dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

Mayor (Major) Raphael Jiménez, Executive Officer of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria, strolled from behind the second line of entrenchments being dug to defend the northern perimeter, toward the western part of the defensive perimeter. Time, time was a vital factor in too many of their problems. An unknown factor. Mayor Jiménez didn’t have the time to rush. Although he spoke casually to the men doing the work, and the officers and NCOs supervising them. All were aware he was scrutinizing them carefully.

Although the 3/a Compania Fusileros had suffered more than fifty percent casualties yesterday; they still had thirty-four men currently on duty who had been part of the company Tuesday morning when the Battalion left their compound in the city of Chihuahua. Twice as many original soldiers than the Second Company now has fit for duty. Other than a couple of truck drivers who fought alongside them yesterday, most of the soldiers, infantrymen, had served together for a year or more. Some of the wounded men had insisted on returning to duty with their brothers. Even if they were reduced to the size of a large platoon, yesterday’s battle had cemented their bond.

It was not to their benefit that the Third Company of ‘Fusiliers’ was being led by the third commander in six days. Nobody particularly missed Captain Primero Cabeceño who went on leave last Thursday; he often left matters to the Company Executive Officer Capitan Segundo Robles. Unfortunately, Captain Robles was currently in the field hospital with a crossbow bolt in his left thigh. During the Battle of Cuauhtémoc, the men had been well led by Captain Primero Arellano.

Until last Friday, Captain Primero Arellano had been the Battalion S-3, the Operations Officer, responsible for planning training, or other operations, such as combat. He was a competent officer, and impressed the men with his courage in battle. Sadly, he was killed during the intense combat. With all of the officers in the company killed or wounded, it had been the Company First Sergeant, Sargento Primero Torrez, who led the men out of Hell, and to this place of refuge.

At Rally Point Valeroso, the Battalion Executive Officer, Mayor Jiménez, had been placed in charge, but he had many other responsibilities, and it was Sargento Torrez to whom the men looked to for leadership. Almost heresy in the Mexican Army, Officers commanded, and NCOs merely enforced the orders of the Officers. And now this morning, Capitan Segundo Rivera, from the First Company, had been placed in command. Supposedly, he had done well during the battle, but the men of the 3/a Compania Fusileros had not witnessed his conduct.

Casualties amongst the frontline infantry officers had been as severe as it was among the men they led. A bit more than fifty percent. Loses amongst the NCOs had been significant too. For better or worse, General Brigadier Allende greatly simplified their circumstances; compelling them to a ‘Hold Until the Last Man’ static defense. Thus, Teniente Coronel de Ribera accepted the offers of Teniente Delgado of the Transporte Corps and Subteniente (MdG) Huitzilzingo of the Materiales de Guerra (Materials of War, in the US Army the equivalent would be the Quartermasters Corps), to serve, temporarily, as Infantry Officers.

Both young officers had been attached to the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria from Zona Militar 5/a to liberate Cuauhtémoc. Both were now stuck in limbo. Many of the service personnel, who were not assisting the medical personnel, or the cooks, had volunteered to serve as riflemen. In theory all soldiers are trained to be infantry, before learning their technical skills; so too for all officers. Mayor Jiménez had been rather dubious, however, during the chaos of the massive ambush yesterday, the majority of the soldiers of the Mexican Army had responded with skill and courage!

Courage and determination are fine things. Essential to soldiers accomplishing their Duties, and to their survival. Never-the-less, professional infantry officers should know the arts of war; such as the intricacies of a Battalion Defensive position. Not to mention that one of the key responsibilities of a Battalion Executive Officer is to conduct inspections to ensure that the plans of the Battalion Commander are properly implemented. Although this was the first time any of them had actually established a Battalion Defensive position of entrenchments. Mayor Jiménez was pleased by the results, so far. Sargento Primero Torrez nodded, and Mayor Jiménez responded in kind, before moving on to the 1/a Compania Fusileros sector.

Returning to where he began his tour of inspection some two hours earlier, Mayor Jiménez noticed a reasonable amount of work had been accomplished. Once more Captain Primero Alberto Guerrero was meeting, or exceeding expectations. Alberto was one of the finest young officers that Mayor Jiménez had served with. Alberto had some valid concerns, he had to give up his Company Executive Officer, to command the Third Company. Both of his platoon leaders were among the walking wounded. His company was understrength, but that was endemic throughout the Mexican Army, in particular the ‘regional’ battalions.

Good leadership, discipline, courage, favorable location, and, perhaps, the blessings of God, had contributed to the 1/a Compania Fusileros incurring the fewest losses, and they recovered most of their dead. Mustering forty-five men in ranks, as well as three officers, they were at roughly eighty percent of the troops they had deployed. At the military academy, or in a training exercise, the unit would be considered unfit for combat, and the officers responsible would be given a failing grade.

As Mayor Jiménez looked at it, surviving an ambush from a brigade size force, in what was probably the biggest battle fought by the Mexican Army in a hundred years, surviving was a passing grade. In his opinion, the 1/a Compania Fusileros was now a more combat effective force, veterans forged in a crucible, confident in themselves and each other. The other companies had been hit harder, suffering significantly more casualties. They too seemed to be maintaining a shockingly high morale and determination to hold this forlorn outpost. But how long would they maintain that attitude if there was no more food or ammo?

At least those concerns had been alleviated, a bit. Shortly after sunrise, while the battalion was standing to (all but a few soldiers manning a defensive perimeter), Mayor de la Barca arrived to conduct an inspection. Mayor de la Barca is the S-3 (Operations Officer) as well as the Assistant Chief of Staff of Zona Militar 5/a (he is also a friend of Teniente Coronel Heraldo de Ribera). Mayor de la Barca made a perfunctory inspection of the perimeter; mostly he spoke quietly with Coronel de Ribera.

Reluctantly he also toured the field hospital, before departing. Their conversation had been intense, and at times contentious. Never-the-less, a couple hours later several army trucks had arrived. A dozen Combat Engineer NCOs unloaded some more concertina wire and other engineering materials to complete the razor-wire barrier around their perimeter, that also marked the limit of the Battalion’s freedom. While this new detachment of Engineers worked on the triple strands of concertina wire defining their perimeter, they had set inside the perimeter a couple of dozen sets of pioneer tools.

(Combat Engineers often divide tasks {and sometimes personnel}into Sappers who conduct ‘Assault’ missions/tasks such as breaching enemy obstacles, destroying bunkers, offensive use of explosives, etc. and ‘Pioneers’ who build roads, defensive positions, temporary facilities, and emplace mines, concertina or other types of ‘razor’ wire or barbed wire, etc. Pioneer Tools are shovels, picks/pickaxes, axes, saws, prybars, and such. Typically, most HMMWVs, trucks, and other ‘tactical’ or off-road vehicles carry a set of pioneer tools {and a tow-cable}. Sometimes concerns about theft of the tools means they are kept locked up, either on the vehicle, or in the units’ supply room {or a warehouse}.)

Several other trucks were driven into the compound, through a chicane, or zigzag, created with barbed wire and some obstacles, each consisting of three steel beams, each a meter and a half long, welded together in the middle to create a sort of giant six-pointed giant caltrop a meter high. The ECP or Entry Control Point was centered on the road to the hacienda, but deviating from the dirt road at the chicane. The ECP was guarded by four Federales and their Chevy Silverado with a machinegun mounted on a pintle in the bed of the truck.

The men driving the trucks were part of the detachment of Engineers; once they parked the trucks between the ranch house and the stable, they joined their comrades strengthening the perimeter wire. Capitan Segundo (MdG) Gomez Garcia of the Materiales de Guerra, attached to the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria from Zona Militar 5/a for the operation to liberate Cuauhtémoc; was temporarily acting as the Battalion’s S-4 or Logistics Officer. Capitan Garcia organized the details from each company ordered to unload the trucks, and secure the supplies.

The highest priority items were the limited amount of medical supplies, in particular for the treatment of burns. Unfortunately, there was not enough of anything, pain medication was woefully lacking. Still, it was better than desperate shortage they had been dealing with. Nearly as important as the medical supplies were the crates of ammunition. During the frantic battle many of the Mexican soldiers had fired off their entire ‘basic load’ of ammunition; the six to ten magazines they carried in their ammo pouches. Mayor de la Barca also sent at least three crates of ammo for each machinegun, and five for each M2-HB .50 caliber machinegun.

In addition to the ammunition, for the small arms, and machineguns, Mayor de la Barca also procured some more 40mm grenades; individual ones for the M203 under-barrel grenade launchers, and the ones with metallic links, used by the Mk-19 belt-fed AGLs. There were a few cases of hand grenades, mostly fragmentation types, but also a few smoke grenades. To augment the concertina wire, there were a few cases of ‘claymore’ mines, trip flares, and some other ‘booby traps’ as well as parachute flares in an aluminum tube about the size of a 40 oz beer, or those large cans of iced tea.

While the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria did have some reserve stocks of small arms and machinegun ammunition abord their vehicles, they had fired off all of their mortar ammunition; or lost it at the ambush site. After discussing with Coronel de Ribera, Mayor de la Barca sent a dozen cases of mortar ammunition, one third 60mm, and the rest 81mm. Mayor de la Barca also got Subteniente de Rosales, the Adjutant, to open the weapons vault in the Battalion armory, to obtain remaining mortars that had been left behind because there were not enough trained crewmen; nor did it seem they would be needed for the mission to clear Cuauhtémoc of gangsters and brigands.

In addition to the two M2 81mm mortars, and two M1 60mm mortars, Mayor de la Barca brought the plotting board, aiming circle and tripod, 2m red and white aiming poles, stakes, and other accoutrements to plan indirect fire missions. The equipment, if properly used could allow the soldiers to accurately plot targets in the ‘dead ground’ such as behind rises of the ground, or in arroyos, where man-sized targets can’t be engaged by direct fire. Also from the weapons vault, were a rack each of M-16’s and HK G3A3 rifles, replacements for weapons that had been lost or damaged.

Another essential that Mayor de la Barca procured were hundreds of magazines for the rifles; too many had been dropped as the soldiers desperately reloaded in the frantic firefight. The Major had cautioned Coronel de Ribera that it was unlikely that his unit would be resupplied for a week or more. As it was, when Coronel Mora, an Infantry Officer, and the Executive Officer for Zona Militar 5/a told Brigadier Allende that the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria had enough firepower to breakout of their battle position, but not enough to hold it; Allende looked like he had bitten into a rotten fruit. It was becoming a frequent visage.

Mayor de la Barca had exceeded his authority by providing as many supplies as he had. Brigadier Allende was now obsessed with the idea that the invaders were determined to capture the city of Chihuahua. The Brigadier was committing all of the assets of Zona Militar 5/a to the defense of the city (and his headquarters). The Brigadier had ordered the 23/a Batallon de Infanteria down from Ciudad Juárez, with all haste, to defend the city of Chihuahua. The engineers were being supplemented by other support and service personnel to prepare fighting positions for the 23/a Infantry on the western outskirts of the city.

Until they arrived, Brigadier Allende had ordered the 7/a Regiment de Caballeria to establish a screen line ten kilometers west of the city. He had further ordered the 17/a Regiment de Caballeria to deploy from Benito Juárez, some 75km northwest of the city of Chihuahua, to secure the right, or northern flank of the 7/a Regiment de Caballeria. Brigadier Allende also ordered the 18/a Batallon Blinda Reconocimiento (Armored Reconnaissance Battalion; equipped with armored cars, similar to the ‘Cavalry’ Regiments) south from Villa Ahumada, 100km north of the city of Chihuahua, to patrol Federal Route 49 down to the town of Escalón, on the southern border of the state of Chihuahua.

Mayor de la Barca revealed to Coronel de Ribera that it appears that the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar had lost at least as many men as had Ribera’s infantry. When a hot breakfast was sent to their two Company-sized outposts, there was not trace of either unit. Later in the morning Coronel Hidalgo had sent strong patrols to investigate further, but then Brigadier Allende had ordered the commander of the 7/a Regiment de Caballeria to recall his troops, and keep them in close proximity to the city of Chihuahua. Another reason that the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria was unlikely to be resupplied again anytime soon.

Because of their pending isolation, Mayor de la Barca had sent dozens of 10kg bags of rice, enough for twenty to thirty days, and about half that many bags of dried beans. He also sent more than a hundred 10-liter cans of frijoles, that did not require rehydration, as well as almost as many cans of corn, tomatoes, some other vegetables and fruit. Raw onions, peppers, packages of tortillas, and cornbread mix. A couple of hundred pounds of chorizo, chicken, and shredded pork would not last nearly as long; although a commercial refrigerator, and two chest freezers were also sent.

Although the kitchen in the ranch house was quite large, and there was a cookhouse for the former ranch hands, even using both, it was a strain to feed the approximately three hundred and fifteen officers and men, including the wounded. To alleviate the strain, one of the trucks had towed out an MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer). Because it was likely to rain, Mayor de la Barca had sent a dozen bags of gravel to put on the ground before setting up the MKT. Though the cooks rarely used the MKT, they were relieved to have it now; however, they and some maintenance people would have to inspect it thoroughly before use.

Some lumber, other engineering supplies, as well as dessert pattern LSS (Light Screening Systems = camo nets) and spreaders were aboard the trucks too. Coronel de Ribera’s men had broken down the stalls in the stables and barn to provide overhead cover for the fighting positions they were digging. These engineering supplies, added to what the soldiers had scrounged, would allow most of the primary and secondary positions to have overhead cover. More than a thousand empty sandbags were also provided.

Mayor Jiménez was pleased by progress being made by Captain Primero Guerrero and the men of the 1/a Compania Fusileros, the best reward he could give them at this time was not to bother them. It is the responsibility of the Executive Officer to inspect, and when required, enforce the policies of the Commanding Officer. His duties were unpleasant, but necessary, however, sometimes prodding and prying reduced the efficiency of the officers and men. Perhaps the only thing more difficult than learning how to achieve results without being a martinet, was the art of knowing when to leave well enough alone.

Looking towards the western horizon and the looming threat; Mayor Jiménez noticed Teniente Coronel Heraldo de Ribera loitering down by the perimeter wire, so, he strolled on down and said, “is there a problem Jefe?”

Coronel de Ribera flashed a lopsided grin, but looked weary, then said, “we have many problems. Sufficient unto the day. We shall have to face them, but not all at once. For now, I am trying to get the perspective our enemies will have of our position. The Federales won’t allow me outside the wire.”

Mayor Jiménez said, “well Heraldo, at least you were able to convince them to let the Cazadores Peloton to send two, two-man patrols out to walk each quadrant, so that we could prepare accurate range cards.”

Coronel de Ribera sighed, then said, “I doubt that it was me that influenced them. I believe Mayor de la Barca spoke to them before he left. That lenience, and the supplies he had sent are probably about all he may be able to do for us. He told me he can’t ... or won’t, go out any further on a limb for us against Brigadier Allende.”

Mayor Jiménez cocked his head, and gave Teniente Coronel de Ribera a ‘look’ before the colonel continued, “Captain Segundo Brown is now ‘Missing’ ... he was last seen being escorted into the back of the headquarters of Zona Militar 5/a ‘escorted’ by Teniente Coronel Calleja of the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar. Brigadier Allende flew into a rage when Mayor Uvale, the ZM Five Gee-Two (Intelligence Officer) mentioned his name, and referred to his report about our battle near Cuauhtémoc.”

Mayor Jiménez said, “Disappeared? The Narcos do that! The Federales are Rumored to do that, and probably do. We Don’t Disappear People!”

Coronel de Ribera glanced around, then said, “keep your voice down. Don’t be naïve. A couple of decades ago in la Guerra Sucia elements of the army disappeared several hundred, and perhaps more than a thousand people. Communist guerrillas, mostly. It’s one of the reasons that the Army is kept out of the war against the Narcos. Mostly.”

Mayor Jiménez said, “that’s ... I don’t know ... I joined the army for adventure. My eldest brother was only twenty-six, and he was already going bald, and getting a paunch. I was still in high school, and more interested in fusbol, than in math. So, I just... Cristo! Our enemies are Disappearing our soldiers, and other people. Now our own Army is disappearing people. This isn’t what I signed up for.”

Coronel de Ribera said quietly but firmly, “you and I both signed up to Defend Mexico, and the Mexican people. That hasn’t changed. Not even when I found out that My Family has been taken into ‘protective custody’ as have the families of several other of our officers, Mayor de la Barca told me. Your family is safe, in Mexico City. Don’t tell anyone else. Everyone here Must focus upon the coming battles. Nothing else.”

Mayor Jiménez said, “wha-- ... umm, what else aren’t you telling me?”

Coronel de Ribera said, “You and I are going to be sacrificial goats for what happened at Cuauhtémoc. You know that. First, we must do our utmost to give at least some of our men a chance of surviving the next battle.”

Mayor Jiménez asked, “will we be getting any more support? I heard that Brigadier Allende ordered the 21a Regiment de Artilleria to deploy. Will they be in range?”

Coronel de Ribera said, “we shouldn’t count on any support, of any kind. If they deploy the guns far enough forward, I would expect them to be firing at their maximum range. Those cannons are at least fifty years old, and I don’t know how worn their barrels are. Shells fired in our support may be as likely to land inside our perimeter as they are to hit any target we might request them to fire upon. None the less, I am having Subteniente Villanueva make a copy of our Battalion’s combined sector sketch, including some Target Reference Points.”

Mayor Jiménez said, “I saw what Capitan Primero Rangel has put together. You made a good decision to appoint him as our S-Three. I’m sure he didn’t want to be relieved of command of the 4/a Compania Granaderos, but Capitan Segundo Castaneda is capable of commanding the ad-hoc Company holding our eastern perimeter. For this operation we split up the Heavy Weapons Company, and at least half the surviving soldiers fit for duty are serving as replacements with other companies, or in the four Humvee gun platforms. Capitan Rangel certainly has done a much better job creating the sector sketch than I would have.”

Coronel de Ribera said, “that is true. His eyes are as sharp as yours, conducting inspections, and such. But his tongue is sharper. Not that you don’t give a proper tongue lashing, when required. But you, Raphael, are a better motivator, you have charisma, and are much more capable of inspiring our men. You have established a camaraderie with them, while still acting as my hammer. Captain Rangel is much better at the technical aspects of the Art of War.”

Mayor Jiménez nodded, but didn’t say anything, so Coronel de Ribera said, “since Mayor de la Barca was able to obtain our mortars, and ammunition for them, I assigned Capitan Rangel to select locations for the mortar pits. He will also supervise the setting of aiming stakes. I will coordinate with him, adding some new Target Reference Points. We won’t be including those TRPs on the graphics we send to Zona Militar 5/a most of them will be too close to our own positions. Some of the TRPs will be integrated into our FPFs.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close