Aztlán Portal - Cover

Aztlán Portal

Copyright© 2021 by Paladin_HGWT

Chapter 16: Assessing What Happened In Mexico

Battlefield on the outskirts of Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua state (140km northeast of the Barranca del Cobre)
Late Morning (approximately 9:30 AM MDT/8:30 AM ZPT Zona Pacifico) Wednesday March 28th 2018

Corpses littered the muddy ground for three thousand paces in every direction. The stench of voided bowels, seared flesh, and other less identifiable odors lingered under the somber grey overcast. Desportes Lazula sat astride a sturdy riding palfrey; surveying the carnage. He had observed, even participated in battles that were larger than yesterday’s combat; even some that were bloodier. Thirty some years of military service, rising from a teenage Armiger, to his current status as a Lord Beyond the Portal, he had never even heard of a battle such as this.

Phenomenally few Mexicans had inflicted grossly disproportionate casualties upon the forces of the Basilieus. Tacticus Aubrey planned a simple, eminently practical battle. An ambush. In most battles against barbarians, the Imperials enjoyed significant advantages in communication and coordination. It seemed that the Mexicans enjoyed an uncanny advantage in communication and tactical control in this battle against the Cohorts of Tacticus Aubrey. He had won a hard-fought victory against a fierce opponent, armed with wonderous weapons and other quasi-magical artifacts.

Only the virtuoso Tacticus Kyrios Verkan-Vall, was younger than Tacticus Aubrey, among the division commanders of Drax Ulrich. Kyrios Verkan-Vall was one of the Elevated, and his savviness and military acumen made him even more of a potential danger, in light of his social clout. Curious, that he chose to serve under Drax Ulrich, whose father was merely a member of the Peregrinus gentry; not even a Citizen. Drax Ulrich was aggressive, and cunning, an excellent choice to lead the Vanguard; but hardly a military genius. Nor was he politically, nor socially advantaged...

Desportes Lazula, have you seen the hundreds. Nay, thousands of artifacts recovered from the battlefield by Tacticus Aubrey, and the Magisters?” Drax Ulrich asked.

“Not yet. I have reviewed the initial reports. I am reasonably satisfied with the results achieved by Tacticus Aubrey.” Desportes Lazula allowed.

Drax Sesklos and his entourage rode up, the ascetic war lord pontificated, “Aubrey is an incompetent milksop! None of these barbarians should have escaped. Dereliction of duty should be harshly punished.”

Tacticus Kyrios Verkan-Vall stated. “Unwarranted criticism is unworthy of any loyal servant of the Basilieus. Perhaps not quite epic, yet the forced march performed by Tacticus Aubrey and his Division of soldiers, auxiliaries, and even much of his impedimenta, especially the many engines of war, is remarkable. Worthy of being Mentioned in Despatches. Then, after marching night and day, they toiled mightily with pick and spade, constructing extensive fieldworks in significantly less than two days. Tacticus Aubrey and his Division triumphed over professional soldiers of the Mexican Army equipped with weapons and other devices, the likes of which no Magister has imagined. My Comrade has achieved an impressive victory.”

“Arrogant dilettante! You don’t impress me. Others might fawn over your father’s status. You are merely one of too many division commanders who have connived to glom onto this expedition. Better we should have more proven veterans accompanying us. Reliable, competent, professionals.” Drax Sesklos said in an icy tone.

“Perhaps there are merits to what each of you have said. However, I ordered Drax Ulrich and Tacticus Aubrey to preserve the battlefield here as intact as possible, so that we might gain some insight about this new enemy. Seers did not anticipate the weapons and artifacts wielded by the Mexicans. Redoubts of sound construction were shattered in seconds. Trolls slain with nearly as little effort. I, and the rest of you, need to assess the threat we face, and determine how to conquer them.” Desportes Lazula said.

Drax Ulrich said, “I could not see the battle, but I could hear it. By your orders, I, and my reserve, commanded by Tacticus Kyrios Verkan-Vall, were positioned ad Anartae, in the unlike event the enemy bypassed Cuauhtémoc, and made a lunge for the Portal. I did not expect the enemy to attack in such weather, it seems to reduce some of their advantages. According to reports of my scouts, and my personal observations, the enemy was uncoordinated, wasted time. But attacked as if pressed for time. Attacking a large town, late in the afternoon, in poor weather, with no scouting. How could they possibly believe they would secure their objective before nightfall?”

Pendrax Tzimkis said, “I was responsible for coordinating the actions of Tacticus Aubrey and Tacticus Hoth, as well as Drax Ulrich’s cavalry reserve. Due to the sudden downpour, communications between us were hampered. I did commit the cavalry soon after Tacticus Aubrey launched his assault to overrun the enemy. Although we caught the enemy in the flank, and in skirmish order, our losses were significant, in particular amongst leaders. Tacticus Hoth was held back by my orders.”

Tacticus Hoth said, “the enemy never managed to engage my forces. As per our orders, we remained in cover until the cavalry routed the enemy, or at least disorganized them. The barbarians demonstrated surprising discipline, despite apparent chaos. They were able to disengage faster than we could peruse.”

Desportes Lazula said, “you behaved prudently Tacticus Hoth. You too Tacticus Aubrey. We seem to be nearing the end of the initial exploitation phase. Our information indicated the attack would be conducted by their Gendarmerie, not their army. Tacticus Aubrey, you displayed good initiative, attacking the barbarians before they could fully deploy. The Mexican Gendarmerie rely upon the mobility of their trucks, and the big Gunz attached to them. We don’t know the full capabilities of the Mexican Army, however, allowing them to launch a prepared attack would not have been desirable. Anything further to add?”

Tacticus Aubrey said, “I benefitted from the advice of Pendrax Marcellus, to conceal my forces in what appeared to be open ground. Clearly the enemy did not expect an attack until they got into the close terrain inside the ruins of Cuauhtémoc. Never-the-less, the enemy reacted with alacrity! Furthermore, casualties are heavy, in particular among front line leaders. Zog Az Bol was slain, just as it seemed his forces would split the enemy in twain. Grom Phah-Tah was wounded, and is unlikely to be able to perform his duties for at least three days. It is upon the shoulders of Grom Pogo, he served with honor, but, like me, he is new to his rank. Also, many junior leaders were killed or wounded. Morale of my troops’ rests on a knife’s blade! They are proud of defeating a powerful foe and forcing them to flee the field of battle, yet awed, perhaps shaken by how few foes inflicted such carnage.”

Desportes Lazula said, “I will send my personal healer to attend to Grom Phah-Tah, and the other wounded leaders. We will be depending upon our Auxiliaries even more than in most campaigns.”

Tacticus Aubrey said to Desportes Lazula, “Thank you Kyrios.”

Pendrax Marcellus said without inflection, “Tacticus Asterix adhered to my plan, and captured the enemy outpost at the village the enemy calls Gran Morelos. The foe Tacticus Aubrey fought, is much more worthy, barbarian, or not. Despite being driven from the field, the commander of the force that fought Tacticus Aubrey has retired in good order. It seems he enjoys the confidence of his superiors, for he is occupying a defensive position between us and the city of Chihuahua. It is curious that his forces are not blocking the fine highway. We need to reconnoiter thoroughly.”

Drax Gormoth proclaimed, “Desportes, I have been notified by couriers, that my subordinates have captured an outpost of the Mexican Army. Significant amounts of weapons and artifacts, and even a few of their wonderous vehicles have been taken intact. Numerous prisoners are even now being interrogated to discover the wonders, and practicalities of our enemies’ material.”

Desportes Lazula said, “Well done Drax Gormoth. I am impressed by the unusual ... Innovative, rather, tactics, employed by Tacticus Zaitzev, and now Tacticus Amon, under your command. Similar innovative methods have been employed by Tacticus Kyrios Verkan-Vall, and Tacticus Aubrey. I am studying what they are doing. Veterans, especially the most dependable, are appreciated. Yet, sometimes fresh perspectives are necessary. Especially when confronted by opponents with unanticipated capabilities.”

Drax Ulrich said, “I am well pleased with the performance of Tacticus Aubrey, and the Cohorts of his Division. I don’t give a fig for your uninformed opinion Sesklos, so shut yer gob! Heart of the matter is, where’s our next battle, and what should we be doing to stack the odds in our favor?”

Drax Sesklos glowered, but Desportes Lazula spoke first, saying, “I have been informed that Strategos Konstantinos achieved a similar victory. Few, if any of his foes were able to escape, however, they enjoyed significantly more favorable ground at the site of their ambush. I have received permission to recruit two, perhaps three more Drax to reinforce our invasion.”

Drax Gormoth looked thoughtful, Drax Sesklos maintained a closed mien, Drax Ulrich exclaimed, “Futuo! You’ll command the largest horde in more than a century!”

Desportes Lazula glanced at the gathering of senior officers, then stated, “Ride with me. We shall follow the course the Mexicans withdrew upon, to the location where they made their stand until darkness fell.”

It was confusing. Not just because few traces, other than some bodies lay upon the paved road. The Mexicans didn’t behave like professional soldiers. They fought in open order, similar to skirmishers, or perhaps Grenzers. According to the descriptions of Tacticus Aubrey, the Mexicans lacked skill in melee combat. If an Imperial, or even and Auxiliary could engage a Mexican with cold steel, inevitably they would triumph over these otherwise mighty warriors. Mexican armor was supernaturally impregnable; however, it only protected the head and upper torso.

The Mexicans never managed to properly form ranks. Despite that, due to their gunz firepower, they often managed to inflict severe casualties. Vehicle tracks paralleling both sides of the highway, and a trail of bodies, only a few of them Mexican, confirmed the improbable descriptions of the battle, as told by Tacticus Aubrey. Skirmish tactics should have resulted in a rout. Yet, the Mexicans had demonstrated an alien form of tactics and discipline. Gunz meant that the types of battlefields that normally were preferred by Imperial Regulars, would allow the Mexicans an opportunity to slaughter the Imperials long before they could close to melee range.

“So, when we engage these Mexican barbarians in melee combat, we are assured victory. However, because of their Gunz, it is nearly impossible to close to melee combat range in open terrain.” Drax Sesklos said.

Desportes Lazula said, “Ha! Drax Sesklos, you have grasped the sword by the blade! Plan well how you might hold the Mexicans by their belt buckle, while you plunge your blade into their guts.”

“Eh? Why specifically me? I should think all of us were being addressed by you Desportes Lazula?” Drax Sesklos asked.

Desportes Lazula said, “haven’t you already started your Corps of Divisions counter-marching in the direction of sun comes up? Utilizing this remarkable paved highway, you should be able to array your Corps in front of Chihuahua in a ten day.”

Chee-How-How? I thought this land we are conquering is Chee-How-How? Are we not already there?” Drax Sesklos asked.

Desportes Lazula said, “typically for barbarians, their capital has the same name as the land. Probably named after some legendary chieftain. The city of Chihuahua is less than three days march from here. According to the Magisters, it is the keystone to this region. I am offering you the honor of the first attempt of conquest.”

Drax Sesklos stood in his stirrups, staring east as if he could see his objective, and after a minute, he said, “I shall endeavor to demonstrate I am worthy of the honor.”

Desportes Lazula said, “Drax Ulrich, you command the Ban ad Artae (Northern Corps). I have made a commitment to the Mennonites of the Rheinläender Gemeinde in the Bustillos Valley, who will provide vital logistics for us. I am counting on you to fulfil that commitment for me. I need you to swing your Corps Ortus ad Arta (east of north) of their fertile lands, and secure our flank. For the most part, I want you to avoid getting bogged down in those mountains. The new Drax and their Corps that I am recruiting will be optimized for mountain warfare. They will be taking over the sector that Drax Sesklos has been responsible for, as well as guarding your flank in the direction the sun goes down.”

Desportes Lazula continued, “furthermore Drax Ulrich, I require you to retain one of your Divisions to garrison Cuauhtémoc. As soon as possible, they will be relieved by Proctors and Custodians. A Praetor Rusticus has been appointed, and he will be responsible for civic matters, and the indigenous Mexicans that will remain. I have appointed a Praefectus Castorum to establish a fortified garrison to secure the intersection of this fine paved highway and the highway Antarta (south) towards the Portal. For the now the Provost Marshal will be co-located here to facilitate the enforcement of Martial Law. There will also be an element of Speculari.”

“As you command, Desportes Lazula,” said Drax Ulrich; frustration evident in his tone.

Desportes Lazula said, “Drax Gormoth, I want your Corps to secure the area Antarta (south) of the city of Chihuahua. There is a highway similar to this one, in the direction the sun comes up. I want you to keep it under observation, without your observers being detected by the Mexicans. I have several pending missions for your Corps that would be best if the Mexicans were in ignorance of your strength.”

Drax Gormoth scowled, but he said, “as you command.”

Several of the bodyguards of Desportes Lazula diligently observed three vehicles travelling on the paved highway from Cuauhtémoc. At a signal from the Pollux in command of the bodyguards, they resumed scanning all about. The three Mexican horseless carriages came to a halt on the paved road. Incongruously, the back of the middle vehicle had multiple stacks of cages filled with clucking chickens in its back bed. From the lead vehicle emerged a man, a matronly Mexican woman, and what appeared to be two small children. From the two trucks came another half-dozen Mexican men; one a hulking brute.

Desportes Lazula turned his horse towards them, and said, “I serve the Basilieus.”

All ten individuals snapped to the position of attention, and saluted by placing their right fist over their heart, and intoning, “I serve the Basilieus!”

Steely eyed, a craggy faced veteran with the bearing of an Aestor (Command Sergeant Major), and a voice to match, growled, “No disrespect to you Desportes Lazula, nor the rest of you fine gentlemen. We are here by the direct orders of Felator (Prince) Octavian. We have some discretion, and will provide you with information relating to your duties. I have been ordered to remind you that if a person, or persons, presents a coin of the realm, a Denarius, to any of your subordinates, they are to be conveyed to the most senior officer without delay. Clear?”

After a brief pause, he continued, “I would be remis if we did not thank you for providing us these vehicles. It had been planned that we would use horses. We would have been too conspicuous. Also, we may travel further and faster. Your contribution has improved our chance of survival, and more importantly our ability to successfully complete our missions.”

Once more the ten of them saluted smartly, performed a crisp about face, then while walking back to their vehicles, their demeanor changed, and they assumed the gait and postures of Mexican peasants. Boarding their horseless carriages, they departed, heading in the direction the sun comes up. Presumably proceeding towards the city of Chihuahua.

Drax Ulrich barked a laugh, then said, “They don’t seem to be impressed by our lofty ranks, do they.”

Felator Octavian, eh? Stakes have been raised.” Drax Gormoth commented.

Desportes Lazula said, “Opportunity is fleeting. We must strike while fortune favors us.”

Zona Militar 5/a, (about 2km south of the Centro de Justica) in the city of Chihuahua, Chihuahua state
0915 Hours ZPT Zona Pacifico (10:15 AM MDT) Wednesday March 28th 2018 (dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish in italics)

General Brigadier Allende said, “Report.”

Standing up before he spoke, a haughty expression upon his face, his uniform immaculate, Teniente Coronel Enrique Calleja, Commanding Officer of the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar said, “as per your Orders, General Allende, my 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar is occupying Objectives Brazos and Tango. My soldiers have complete control of our Area of Operations. As ordered, I have curtailed the flow of refugees to the city of Chihuahua.”

The Coronel paused, took a sip of water, and continued, “unfortunately, Teniente Coronel de Ribera and the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria have failed to do their duty! Disgracefully, they have retreated to the vicinity of San Andres, Riva Palacio.”

Teniente Coronel Olivier Jimenez, the Chief of Staff for Zona Militar 5/a stood up, and reported, “since zero-one-hundred hours we are unable to communicate with the elements of the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar at Objectives Brazos and Tango.”

“Probably just technical difficulties, or incompetent radio men,” Teniente Coronel Calleja muttered, without standing up.

General Brigadier Allende said “Coronel Hidalgo, have two Troops of your 7/a Regiment de Cavalry deploy perhaps five kilometers, certainly no more than ten kilometers west of the city limits. The failures of Teniente Coronel de Ribera and the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria are of concern to all of us. I want to ensure that all of the soldiers of Zona Militar 5/a are in reliable communication. Coronel Hidalgo, the rest of your regiment with be our reserve. A quick reaction force. Do you understand?”

Coronel Hidalgo stated emphatically, “I protest, General Allende. My Regiment should be turned lose to crush these rabble! Toll Route Sixteen, the MSR is secure, we will avenge this humiliation to the Mexican Army before sundown tomorrow!”

“Harrumph. Commendable passion, I suppose. Never-the-less, you will Obey My Orders.” General Brigadier Allende stated.

Coronel Calleja, there is no longer a valid purpose to securing Toll Route Sixteen as a Main Supply Route. So, recall the detachments of the 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar. Have one Company, and the garrison elements of your headquarters company remain at your casern by the airport. Have the rest deploy around this compound as a security cordon.” General Brigadier Allende said.

“As you order, mi General.” Teniente Coronel Calleja said.

General Brigadier Allende said, “Subteniente de Rosales, you will subordinate yourself, and your soldiers to Teniente Coronel Calleja’s 13/a Batallon de la Policia Militar. How many men do you have fit for duty?”

“Three General Allende, myself, Sargento Segundo Gomez, the night Charge of Quarters, and Cabo Munoz, an assistant cook. Sixteen other personnel are present, but unfit for most duties. Four soldiers with a contagious upper respiratory infection, and several others are able to perform most duties, but are not fit to deploy.” Subteniente de Rosales said.

General Brigadier Allende appeared to have bitten into a rotten fruit, he paused for half a minute, then said, “Teniente Fernandez, how many soldiers of the 102/a Batallon de Infanteria are in garrison and fit to be transferred here?”

“Sir, there are approximately sixty infantrymen, and thirty service and support personnel under the command of Capitan Segundo Torres. However, since the Battalion Commander, Teniente Coronel Zamere is incommunicado, we are under the direct command of Coronel Gallego, Commander of Zona Militar 42/a. He sent me here as a liaison because General de Division Micheltorenas wishes us to coordinate our operation in the Barranca del Cobre with your operation to liberate Cuauhtémoc. After eleven hundred hours yesterday, we can no longer communicate with Teniente Coronel Zamere, nor coordinate with Teniente Coronel de Ribera. Coronel Gallego thinks you too would not wish to coordinate with him by either radio or telephone. Neither of which are secure.” Teniente Fernandez said.

General Brigadier Allende scowled before conceding, “perhaps that is prudent ... you should suggest that Coronel Gallego should transfer all of the forces under his command here. Our priority should be to secure the Capitol of Chihuahua. Hidalgo del Parral is peripheral. Your duties are here, the vital center.”

“I shall inform Coronel Gallego of your ... Suggestion, General Allende.” Teniente Fernandez said.

“Hmm...” General Brigadier Allende murmured.

General Brigadier Allende took a sip of coffee, then glanced at Mayor Uvale, the Zona Militar 5/a S-2, then he asked the Intelligence Officer, “Do you have anything useful to report?”

“Sir have you examined the images and videos provided by Captain Segundo Brown’s detachment?” Mayor Uvale said.

“No! That incompetent pendejo provided No useful intelligence. I am very disappointed. Have you been able to determine anything?” General Brigadier Allende inquired.

Mayor Uvale would not meet the General’s eyes, and after some hesitation, muttered, “None of the members of the Zona Militar 5/a Intelligence Cell, attached to the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria, are in any condition to provide useful information, at this time.” Mayor Uvale said.

“Unacceptable! All soldiers will perform their duties to my satisfaction, or they will face a Courts Martial.” General Brigadier Allende stated.

2km west of San Andres, Riva Palacio, 45 km ENE of Cuauhtémoc, 55 km West of the city of Chihuahua
1000 Hours
(10:00 AM) ZPT Wednesday March 28th 2018 (dialogue is spoken in Spanish, but written in English; some Spanish words are in italics)

Soldado Eliseo la Rosa succumbed to his wounds ten minutes ago. He turned nineteen today; the day he died. Mayor Jiménez, the Executive Officer of the 25/a Batallon de Infanteria told Teniente Coronel Heraldo de Ribera of the teenage soldier’s courage. Burns on his face and hands from the Fuego Diablo (“Devil’s Fire”) had disabled him. He was laying with the wounded of the 3/a Compania Fusileros when the enemy overran them. Soldado la Rosa picked up the rifle of a fallen comrade and fired until he was out of ammunition. He stood his ground, fighting on with the bayonet, despite being shot with a crossbow quarrel, and speared; until finally he collapsed. His last stand allowed several of his fellow soldiers to be rescued.

Mayor Jiménez thought the young hero was dead, but when he ordered his body to be loaded in a truck with several other soldiers killed in action; Eliseo la Rosa gasped in pain, they hastily rendered first aid. Because most of the medical supplies had been destroyed, and the lack of MEDEVAC support that had been promised; Eliseo was denied any of the limited stock of morphine. Triage is sometimes harsh; priorities are for those whom are likely to live. Without advanced medical treatment, the young Soldado was expected to die.

Agony wracked the burned and wounded teenager, and sometime around 0900 he began screaming incessantly. Surgeon Captain Segundo Montiel ordered he be taken out to where they were burying the dead. Mayor Jiménez heard, and went to be with the young man; he couldn’t hold his terribly burned hands, all he could do was grasp his shoulder, and speak to him. Frustration drove Mayor Jiménez to hold a radio microphone in his other hand for the last fifteen minutes as Eliseo la Rosa alternated screaming hoarsely, crying, and begging for his mother.

“Now they are jamming all of our frequencies. The last order they transmitted was to relieve me of my duties,” Mayor Jiménez said to Teniente Coronel de Ribera.

“I will need to have that confirmed. Until then I need you to continue Your Duties. I am certain I shall be Court-Martialed too, so let’s focus on keeping as many of our men alive as possible,” Teniente Coronel de Ribera said.

Si Jefe, what are the priorities of work?” Mayor Jiménez asked.

Coronel de Ribera said, “Reorganizing our units, in particular unit leaders. We have lost a lot of officers, so we will have to depend upon our NCOs. Establishing a defensive perimeter. We aren’t going anywhere, at least for a while, so we I want the trucks parked around the buildings containing the wounded. They should provide some cover. I want to keep the men busy, but not exhaust them. Have one quarter providing security, one quarter digging in, or other tasks required to build our defenses. Another quarter should be assigned to fatigue duties, unloading supplies from the trucks, field sanitation, and such. Let one quarter rest. Ninety-minute shifts. Twelve-hour days.”

Coronel de Ribera, pointing out the obvious, said, “The Federales are setting up triple strands of concertina wire some fifteen hundred meters from the center of our position. I plan to reorder our defensive scheme. I want a more rectangle perimeter, with interlocking fields of fire. Fighting positions will have sectors of fire covering their brothers to their left and right. 1/a Compania Fusileros will hold our Main Line of Resistance to the west, where we expect the enemy to attack from. 2/a Compania Fusileros with attachments from HQ will hold our left flank, to the south. 3/a Compania Fusileros will hold our right flank, to the north. Since we lost the eighty-one-millimeter mortars, and have little, or no ammo for the sixties, I am reforming the 4/a Compania Granderos, Captain Segundo Castaneda will be in command, they will secure our rear flank and the ECP, to the east.”

(ECP: Entry Control Point. Entrance for vehicles and personnel into a FOB or other secure location.)

Mayor Jiménez asked, “what should I focus upon?”

“Before we begin digging, I want our officers to prepare Range Cards for our Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Fighting Positions, then consolidate them into Platoon, and Company sketches. From that we will make a Battalion overall map, and indirect fire TRPs. I want you to pay particular attention to the 3/a Compania Fusileros, I am going to make Capitan Segundo Rivera the acting commander. Too many of our officers were killed, wounded too badly to perform their duties, or are missing and presumed dead.” Teniente Coronel de Ribera said.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close