The Story of Promiseum - Dream Walker - Cover

The Story of Promiseum - Dream Walker

Copyright© 2021 by Llwyd L. Brenin

Chapter 13: Love and Rebirth

“Danny?” Emily asked, “what did he mean, they would let her die and your love would die with her? Was he talking about me?”

“Yes,” Danny said. “If she dies then you will die. But it’s a slow process because you would go crazy first. Don’t worry, I won’t let that happen!

“What are you going to do?” she asked.

“I’m going to go get her and bring her here,” he said. “I’ll find a way to fix this. Besides, I can’t just leave her like that.”

“I know,” Emily said. “I wouldn’t ask you to. But we don’t know what you’re walking into. It could be a trap, or maybe they’re tricking you. Whatever the case, it will be dangerous!”

“I know,” Danny said. “I’ll be careful, but I have to try.”

“Yes, you do,” she agreed. “It’s one of the things that I love about you. You will go, and you will do everything in your power to fix everything. Just marry me first.”

“Are you serious?” Danny asked. “Emmella’s a part of you. I can’t let you go through this any longer.”

“I’m fine for now,” she said. “Besides, if what we saw is true, then she’s already dead. Whatever happens, there’s a chance that you or I won’t make it. And after all this time, I will not pass up what could be our last chance to be married!”

“When you put it that way,” Danny said. “When this is all over, I would rather come home to my wife. How soon do you want to do this?”

“First thing this morning,” she said. “We’ll forget about everything else until tomorrow.”

“As you wish, my love,” Danny said.

Several hours later, all of their friends and family were gathered in the garden to help them celebrate the best moment of their lives. Walter was performing the ceremony, Robert was the best man, and Aisling was the maid of honor. The garden seemed more beautiful on this day. With the decorations and extra flowers blooming, but no one noticed, because all eyes were on Emily as she walked down the aisle and started her vows.

“Danny,” Emily began, “I have loved you since the first day we met. And I knew I wanted to marry you, since that day in the sixth grade, when you held my hand just because I was sad. I never said anything because of our friendship. As a friend, you weren’t obligated to take care of me or be anything but my friend. But you were always there for me. You did everything you could for me. And when we were together, I felt like I was the most important person in the world. Most importantly, you never asked for anything in return. Your friendship was the purest love I knew. That’s better than what most people get. That’s why I’m here to make this vow to you, that as long as I live, I will stand by your side. I will be your friend, your partner, your lover, and anything else you need or want me to be. And this ring represents that vow.”

She slipped the ring on his finger and waited for him to speak.

“Emily,” Danny said, “it may have taken me longer to realize, but I did love you from that first moment I looked into your eyes. I don’t think I ever imagined that you would marry me someday, but somehow, I knew we would always be together. You are my everything. There isn’t a thing I wouldn’t do for you. I would die for you. But if I ever thought it would make you sad, I’d live forever just to see you happy. However, my love for you isn’t completely selfless, because if you weren’t in my life, I would have no happiness or purpose. That is why I’m here to make this vow to you! As long as I live, I will stand by your side. I will be your friend, your partner, your lover, and anything else you need or want me to be. And this ring represents that vow.”

He slipped the ring on her finger, and they shared their first kiss as a married couple.

“Ladies and gentlemen, and dream folk,” Walter said. “ May I introduce, for the first time, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Thomas Lancelot Knight!”

After thunderous applause, and a ton of congratulations, the celebration was underway. They had their first dance as a married couple. And after everyone was danced out, it was time for the feast. Any and every dish you could imagine was spread out before them. The festivities lasted all day. There were party games, more singing and dancing, and endless food. But eventually, it had to come to an end.

As they were thanking each person for celebrating with them, they asked Walter to stay behind. After everyone else left, Lance Elizabeth, Walter, Emily, and Danny went into the cottage to talk.

“What’s going on?” Elizabeth asked. “Yesterday we were planning a wedding that would take place in two months, then you suddenly decide to have it today. Does that have anything to do with her disappearance yesterday?”

“Yes,” Danny said. “Well, sort of. They have Emily’s double, Emmella, and they killed her brain. They’re keeping the rest of her alive artificially, but we don’t know how long.”

“Oh my god,” Elizabeth exclaimed! “Why would they do that?”

“They want to get to me,” Danny said. “I think they know what I can do. And by doing this, they think they can control me.”

“It was my idea to have the wedding now,” Emily said. “Danny’s going over there to fix it, but if he fails one of us dies. I know he won’t fail, but anything else could happen. I didn’t want to give up what could be our only chance to get married.” “I agreed,” Danny said, “because when this is over, I’m coming home to my wife!”

“So,” Walter asked, “what’s the plan?”

“It’s their move,” Danny said. “But if nothing changes, I’m thinking about using the next day or so to gather intelligence. Maybe interrogate my guests.”

“It’s a smart plan,” Lance said, “if they wait that long. Walker isn’t known for his patience.”

“Right now, I want to make sure this isn’t a trap,” Danny said. “But if I feel like Emily’s life is in danger, I won’t hesitate to act.”

“Well, we’re all here if you need anything,” Walter said. “Now go enjoy your wedding night. By the way, thank you for putting that door in my office.”

“You’re welcome,” Danny said, as he hugged them all. “Thank you for being here for us.”

Emily and Danny decided to stay at the cabin for a few days. When they got there, Danny carried Emily across the threshold. The servants were there to attend to their needs, but Danny dismissed them. He told them he would call if he needed them. Then they started getting ready for bed. They brushed their teeth and went into the bedroom. They stood there for a minute before Emily spoke, interrupting the awkwardness.

“I never changed my clothes in front of anyone before,” Emily said.

“There’s a first time for everything,” Danny said. “Let me help you with that.”

Emily turned around and held up her hair. As Danny was unzipping her dress, he kissed her neck right below the ear. Then again above her shoulder. It gave her chills as goosebumps raised all over her body. When the zipper was all the way down, she lowered her arms and the dress slipped off. Danny kissed her neck again, this time on the other side. She turned around and kissed him, as she started raising his shirt. Pausing just long enough to pull it off and discard it on the floor with her dress. Danny slowly ran his hand up her back, giving her more goosebumps, before releasing the clasps on her bra.

As things started to heat up, they finished undressing each other and slipped into bed. Sometime later, the exhausted couple put on their pajamas and held each other as they fell asleep.

They were on a boat. It was a small sailboat on the ocean. The sky was clear, and the water was calm, despite the strong breeze. In the far distance, they could see a small chain of islands. Behind them, a pod of whales was playing and jumping out of the water. Emily was at the helm with Danny behind her. He had his arms around her holding the wheel with her. Danny leaned forward so he could whisper in Emily’s ear.

“When I fix this,” he said, “we’ll have a proper honeymoon, and this is what we’ll do.”

“I’m happy with anything we do,” she said, “as long as it’s with you.”

They steered towards the islands, to see what other adventures they could have. As they approached the islands, Danny noticed that the horizon looked darker. It’s just like before, he thought. Only now, it’s getting even darker. Before he could form his next thought, the horizon exploded. It must have been in the megaton range because the only thing he could compare it to, was an atomic blast. But instead of a blinding flash of light, it was an equally blinding flash of darkness. Danny’s first thought was protecting Emily, but she was already gone. She must have already woken up, he thought, as he saw the shockwave approaching. It was almost on him, so he woke up.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close