The Story of Promiseum - Dream Walker
Chapter 6: The Story Unfolds

Copyright© 2021 by Llwyd L. Brenin

“It all started with a man,” he began. Arrogant SOB. He thought he could control powers he didn’t fully understand. Anyway,” He continued. “He discovered that the universe was split into three separate energy fields. Two being filled with physical matter, with the third separating them like a barrier.”

“So, you’re saying there are more worlds out there than this one?”

“Actually, there are two physical worlds and one of pure energy.” He corrected. “We live in the right realm, and other people live in the left. Every person in this realm has a double in the other.”

“So, there’s another me in this other realm?”

“No. That’s part of what makes you different. You’re equal parts of both realms with a huge amount of medial energy.”

“I know about medial energy,” Danny said. “I can feel it and can even use it, but I’m still learning. I’ve been learning from my friend Lance.”

“So, you met Lancel? It’s been a while since I’ve seen him. Is he okay?”

“I’m not sure. When he’s in my dreams I get a sense that he’s very powerful. However, his energy level seems very low.”

“That’s what I was afraid of. I think he’s dying.”

“What would make you think he’s dying?

“Well, he’s a twin spirit,” Walter said. “Because of a decision he made, they’re now separated and can’t get back together. One can’t live without the other. I’m sure that means she’s dying too.”

“I’m confused. I didn’t know he was an essential.”

“He’s not,” said Walter. “But how he became a twin spirit is something you’ll have to ask him. Will you help me talk to him?”

“Of course, I will. What do I need to do?”

“Follow me.”

He got up from his chair behind the desk and walked across the room to the steel door. Then, he turned the large wheel in the middle and pulled the door open. As he stepped through, Danny followed him inside. The room was almost as large as Walter’s office, but it was square. It was empty except for the large machine in the middle of the room. The machine was the size of a refrigerator. There was a sort of grid pattern on the walls with a small rod protruding from each square. Walter shut the door and made sure it was secure.

Then he went over to the machine, pushed a few buttons, and said “concentrate on finding Lancel.”

“Wait a minute!” Danny said. “What is that machine for?”

“I call it my dream machine. This room we’re in is my dream chamber. I can’t go into dreams as you can.” He explained. “So, I invented the dream chamber to sort of bring the dreams to me. Now, if you don’t mind, I need your help. I haven’t been able to find Lancel, and I’m afraid he’s too weak to find me.”

“Sorry,” Danny said. He concentrated, and Walter turned a dial. The air seemed to get hazy, and the walls blurred out. When everything refocused, they were in an incomplete version of Danny’s meadow.

“May I?” asked Danny.

Walter nodded his head. Danny concentrated, then gave a mental pull. It was now Danny’s meadow, complete with sounds and a light breeze.

“You’ve learned more than I thought,” Walter said. “In such a short time too. Now can you find Lancel?”

“Of course,” Danny said. He concentrated again. Then he almost whispered, Lance. Lancel stepped out from behind a tree. He seemed to be a little dazed.

He looked right past Danny and said. “Father? Is that you?”

“Yes, son I’m here,” Walter said. “Are you okay?” Walter asked.

“I don’t think so.” He answered. “I feel tired and weak. I couldn’t even find Danny anymore.”

“Let me see if I can help,” Walter said. He pushed a button and turned the dial again. It didn’t seem to help. It seemed as if Lance was fading. Not so much fading, as getting darker and harder to see. He turned the dial again. Nothing! Whatever he did, it didn’t work.

“I’m sorry son, I’m afraid it’s too late,” Walter said, with a tear in his eye.

“It’s not your fault,” Lance said. I knew this would happen sooner or later. I just hoped that I would have more time.”

He tried to touch Walter’s hand, but he didn’t have enough energy and his hand passed right through. Then he tried to touch Danny’s hand. This made Danny’s hand tingle, and he felt a kind of pull as if Lance was trying to draw energy from him. Unfortunately, he couldn’t draw enough energy. “Tell my Love...” Lance started to say but was unable to finish.

“I will Son!” Walter said through tears. “I’m sorry we didn’t have more time!”

“Wait a minute,” Danny said. “I can feel that!”

He held up his hand in front of himself. As he moved it, a kind of static jumped from his fingers like miniature lightning bolts. He walked over and placed his hand on Lancel’s chest. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. As he slowly let his breath out, his hand started to glow. Then it spread to Lancel’s chest. From there it radiated out until it encompassed both of them and was too bright to look at. Then it slowly faded.

Lancel was stunned. His entire being seemed to vibrate, as Danny touched his chest. Everything seemed to expand with a rush of energy, and now he could feel something else. The feeling was faint but clear. They were emotions and feelings, which were not his!

“How do you feel now?” Danny asked.

“I feel great!” Lance said. “I don’t know what you did, but I can feel her again. I thought the connection was gone.”

“I never imagined that could even be possible!” Walter said. “I’ve tried for almost twenty years to find a way to restore the connection. All I can think is you must have healed the medial spirits themselves, and there’s not enough energy in the veil of Dreams to do that. It’s like you can tap directly into the medial realm!” He added excitedly.

“Woah, wait a minute!” Danny interrupted. “What are medial spirits, and what is the medial realm?”

“Are you aware of the medial barrier?” Walter asked.

“Yes,” Danny said. “I can feel it.”

“It’s not a force field, as we first thought, it’s actually a third realm separating the two physical realms,” Walter said. “Medial-spirits live in the medial realm, we are part of them. Each person born to a realm has a double in the other realm who is attached to the same spirit being.”

“You already know,” Lance interrupted. “That, you are the only physical being that is not attached to another physical being.”

“And that group at the asylum knows this?” Danny asked.

“Most of it,” Walter answered. “They don’t know about you yet, but they have ways of finding out. However, I’m not too worried about them yet.”

“Then what about all the security measures?” Danny asked.

“Mostly just a precaution.” He admitted. “There are worse people out there and with a conversation like this, it is best if no one overhears. But it’s getting late now. I should take you back up.” “That won’t be necessary,” Danny said. “I can travel through the veil of Dreams.”

“Very good,” Walter said. “But Danny, I will never be able to repay you for what you did today. If you ever need anything, just call. I will be there. We will talk again. There’s a lot more you need to know, but I think we all need some time to process what just happened.”

After saying their goodbyes, Danny made a door in Walter’s office and used it to get back to his office. He needed to think. So, he went out to his workshop. Now he was working on a jewelry box for his mom’s birthday. He was using a variety of rosewood he hand-picked just for this project. He doesn’t use it often because it’s pretty expensive. Plus, it’s not that easy to work with since it resists glue and the finish. But it’s a beautiful wood with its reddish-purple color. He carved the main body and legs from a single block of wood. Then he did the same with the lid and handle. Today he was attaching the lid with brass hinges and installing the brass locking mechanism in the front.

So, Lance is Walter’s son. And Walter has a hidden underground apartment, and a secret chamber called the dream chamber. I’ve known Walter for five years and never knew any of this. I wonder what else he’s not telling me. I have a feeling it’s huge.

Oh well, he probably has a good reason for not telling me. He thought. If his reaction is any indication, then these are probably very dangerous secrets. I’m not sure if I even want to know. But I have this power. Why? I don’t need it. I’m not sure I even want it. No. I’m sure I don’t want it, but I have it and I will eventually need answers.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close