Boston Solutions Incorporated
Chapter 33

Copyright© 2021 by Lazlo Zalezac

Mel stood outside the house with her arms around Stephen. It was a bittersweet moment, an odd mixture of regret and anticipation. She was leaving him behind to begin a new adventure. She kissed him goodbye.

“I’m going to miss you,” Stephen said.

“I’m going to miss you,” Mel said.

“I think you’ll like the program at UCLA,” Stephen said.

“I think you’ll enjoy law school and work,” Mel said.

She knew that she was trying to draw out this parting as long as possible. Now that the time to leave had come, she didn’t want to go. She was going to have to leave soon to make the drive across the country to California.

“It won’t be the same without you here,” Stephen said.

He was trying to draw out this parting for as long as possible. He didn’t want to see her leave. Of course, they had started the goodbye last night with a little private time in bed.

“You’ll have your harem of study partners,” Mel said.

“They’ll remind me of you,” Stephen said.

Mel said, “It is kind of spooky how we all look alike.”

“Magus was involved,” Stephen said.

Mel said, “I guess I better go.”

“One last kiss,” Stephen said.

“Okay,” Mel said.

It was fifteen minutes later that she pulled away from the house. Stephen stood at the street watching her car until it disappeared around a corner. Jane opened the front door and called out, “Come in and have a cup of coffee before you go to the office.”

“That sounds like a good idea, Jane,” Stephen said. He wasn’t sure that he was ready to face a day in the office.

It was an hour later when Titus shuffled into the office with a sad face. Julia was seated at her desk. Hagar was standing next to it talking to her.

Hagar said, “We’re going to miss having her around.”

Looking over at Titus, Julia asked, “Did she leave?”

“Yes,” Titus answered.

“You’ll miss her,” Julia said.

“I know,” Titus said.

Thursday came out of her office and looked at Titus. She said, “I take it that Mel left for UCLA.”

“She left this morning,” Titus said.

“You’ll miss her,” Thursday said.

“I know,” Titus said.

“Titus!” Magus shouted.

Titus went into the office. He said, “You bellowed?”

Magus held out an envelope. He said, “Here’s a plane ticket to visit your parents. It’s been a while since you’ve seen them.”

“Thanks,” Titus said.

Magus said, “Hagar will be going with you.”

“Why?” Titus asked.

“That little business with the city is about to explode. I’d hate for you to be subject to a little retribution by a disgruntled sleazeball,” Magus said.

“That’s makes sense,” Titus said.

Magus shifted in his chair. He frowned. Finally, he said, “I usually leave the area after something like that. It is a little safer that way.”

“Smart,” Titus said.

“I’m going to be heading to Houston after you get back,” Magus said.

“For how long?” Titus asked.

“A couple years maybe. It’s hard to tell,” Magus answered.

“A couple years?” Titus asked.

“I’m setting up an office there,” Magus said.

“What about the office here?” Titus asked.

“It’s yours,” Magus answered.

“What do you mean it’s mine?” Titus asked.

Magus said, “You’re the boss of Solutions Incorporated Boston Division.”

“I’m still in school,” Titus said.

“It’ll be a cakewalk. Don’t forget that you have the smartest study group that exists,” Magus said. “Those young ladies were handpicked by yours truly.”

“That means that I’ll have to study,” Titus said.

“It will help take your mind off of your other problems,” Magus said.

“What other problems?” Titus asked wondering if he had missed something important.

Magus said, “Mel left this morning.”

“I’m going to miss her,” Titus said.

“I know. That’s why I think it is a good idea for you to be busy,” Magus said.

Titus said, “It just seems to me that everyone is leaving. Irene has gone to Washington. Cathy has moved in with her fiance. Mel has gone to UCLA. You’re going to Houston.”

“Don’t forget that Igor and Claudia will be going there with me,” Magus said.

“That’s what I mean. Everyone is leaving,” Titus said.

“That’s not quite true. Julia, Jane, Jack, and Jill will still be here. Don’t forget Hagar and Poindexter, They’ll be around for a long time. In ten days your study group will be showing up for school. Believe me, you won’t be lonely,” Magus said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close